Jason

Comet Ping-Pong - GM James Alfantis' Pizza and Ping-Pong on Connecticut Avenue in Upper NW

315 posts in this topic

Anybody know what that rumoured pizza place thing was about? Can't think of any "popular" joints on Connecticut that have an empty space next door, except maybe Dino, and I figured it's a little early to start speculating about Dean's second location considering his first one has been open exactly a week.

Carole Greenwood is opening up a New Haven style pizza place next to Buck's! Maybe the "he" Sietsema is referring to is James Alefantis (co-owner of Buck's).

Carole Greenwood is opening up a New Haven style pizza place next to Buck's!  Maybe the "he" Sietsema is referring to is James Alefantis (co-owner of Buck's).

I never heard of/had New Haven style pizze before. Does anyone know how it differes from other styles?

Carole Greenwood is opening up a New Haven style pizza place next to Buck's!  Maybe the "he" Sietsema is referring to is James Alefantis (co-owner of Buck's).

Details people, I need details!!!!! This is potentially life changing (my life anyway :P )

One site explains that the crust on a New Haven pizza is a little thicker and doughier than New York style.  Additionally, there sauce/cheese ratio is more heavily focused on the tomatoes than the mozzarella.  Lastly, New Haven places seemed to leave the pies in long enough that the oil separated from the cheese, rose to the top of the pie, and almost seemed to "fry" the mozzarella, giving it a mottled golden-brown color

To be real honest - that actually sounds a little nasty to me. :P

Details people, I need details!!!!!  This is potentially life changing (my life anyway :P )

I think it's supposed to be open by fall. More casual than Buck's. White Clam Pizza will be on the menu. Wish I had more details!

To be real honest - that actually sounds a little nasty to me. :P

Reminds me of tomato pies (Philadelphia).

Carole Greenwood is opening up a New Haven style pizza place next to Buck's! Maybe the "he" Sietsema is referring to is James Alefantis (co-owner of Buck's).

This makes more sense... I can't think of a space next to Palena and doubt someone is moving into the old Bricks so quickly.

I've never had the style myself, but whenever I read or hear Jeffrey Steingarten on New Haven Pizza, it seems to me the 'za equivalent of an orgasm. In every bite.

I once lived only a half hour away from New Haven in Waterbury and the idea of this place gets me really excited. I can still remember what the pizza tasted like. I always preferred it to NY-style pizza, which has a tendency to have a weak crust and be overly greasy. Does anyone have info on the when it might open???

Grease is good!! I give NY pizza two paper towels myself!! Last time I got a real good one, I was at my brother -in-law's outside of NY, in Fairhaven NJ. Holy crap, I couldn't contain myself!!

Grease is good!! I give NY pizza two paper towels myself!! Last time I got a real good one, I was at my brother -in-law's outside of NY, in Fairhaven NJ. Holy crap, I couldn't contain myself!!

I'm with you. I'm going to be in NY tomorrow on a last minute trip and I have already told my mom we will be having pizza for lunch. And maybe Friday too.

I'm with you.  I'm going to be in NY tomorrow on a last minute trip and I have already told my mom we will be having pizza for lunch.  And maybe Friday too.

Ten minutes after the train pulls out of Manhattan, I always wish I had an extra slice or two. :-)

Ten minutes after the train pulls out of Manhattan, I always wish I had an extra slice or two. :-)

And a box of rainbow cookies. And a pastrami sandwich.

I keep telling my parents that they are welcome to come visit me anytime as long as they find a way to bring me a pizza.

You must have been at Umberto's , he's a surly guy and he makes a mean pie.

His pizza has just the right saltiness, it's crispy, greasy and very good. I grew up in Fair Haven, NJ eating that pizza a few times a week. The great thing about NY and New Haven Pizza is that it is usually available by the slice. DC lacks that big time. Cappucino's in GTown is the only place that I know of that sells slices- and it's not very good.

His pizza has just the right saltiness, it's crispy, greasy and very good.  I grew up in Fair Haven, NJ eating that pizza a few times a week.  The great thing about NY and New Haven Pizza is that it is usually available by the slice.  DC lacks that big time.  Cappucino's in GTown is the only place that I know of that sells slices- and it's not very good.

The burnt out Alberto's used to sell slices. Axe Rocks.

I never heard of/had New Haven style pizze before.  Does anyone know how it differes from other styles?

It's Connecticut, so it's upper-crusty. :P:wub:

It's Connecticut, so it's upper-crusty.  :P   :wub:

Joe H where are you when we need you??? I am sure that Joe H has gone on a long road trip to eat New Haven pizza. What's the name of that famous place Joe H??? The name isn't "Franks" but it's something like that. The pizza there is top notch. Many national magazines have written about New Haven pizza. I lived in New Haven for almost 2 years and ate lot's of good pizza.

His pizza has just the right saltiness, it's crispy, greasy and very good.  I grew up in Fair Haven, NJ eating that pizza a few times a week.  The great thing about NY and New Haven Pizza is that it is usually available by the slice.  DC lacks that big time.  Cappucino's in GTown is the only place that I know of that sells slices- and it's not very good.

My bro in law picked it up in town, so I'm not familiar with the name of the pizza place, but I'm sure you're right on if it's the best pie in town. It was rectangular also, that stood out. BTW Fair Haven is beautiful. They have a house on the water, just gorgeous.

Edited by monavano

Looks like the rumor is true  :wub:

Stay tuned for details......

"Who doesn't like Ping-Pong?"

:P

Here's a revolutionary idea for a great gimmick, why not just serve good pies and a few well-chosen wines and beers?

Edited by Stretch

Interesting...

The neighborhood can sure use it--I've gotten increasingly frustrated with the crowds at 2 Amy's...

Jennifer

Interesting...

The neighborhood can sure use it--I've gotten increasingly frustrated with the crowds at 2 Amy's... 

Jennifer

Besides, how many ping pong tables are there in that part of town?

yum, 5 mins walk from our house - can't wait

and I was known to be 'quite' the table tennis player in my day :P