Auld Lang Cuisine

Stealing from myself, in another forum:

Drove through Georgetown and stopped at the Georgetown Bagel Bakery, pleased to see that it was still open, hoping against hope that maybe the financing for its replacement had fallen through or the historical commission had ordered it preserved or Homeland Security had seized it or something. Ordered half a dozen bagels and asked the guy when they were closing.

"Tomorrow. Today is our last day."

Damn.

"Make it a dozen. And some bialys too, if you got any."

It's not just that they've made the best bagels in Washington, ever since they've been open.

It's not just that one of my favorite pieces of (decades-old) gossip is that the original owner was so frugal that even after a friend of mine spent a couple of nights with him, he made her pay for her bagels.

It's not just the grim charm of the place and its status as one of the few storefronts in Georgetown not yet chained to a national brand or upscaled to the point of affluent blandness.

Like so many of the places I really like, it offered a kind of funky excellence, inarguably "best in town," but framed by cracked wall tile and faded posters, accessible to Georgetowners -- residents and visitors -- of every stripe, from the virtually homeless to those who wouldn't leave the house at 8AM for coffee without cashmere and and linen. Despite bagels' proud ethnic heritage, I doubt any Jew ever worked in the place, although the original owner -- an Arab-American (Moroccan?) -- learned his trade in New York from a Jewish Bagel makers, according to framed, faded Post article behind the glass of the display case. As will happen with people who couple a commitment to quality with entrepreneurial spirit, I hear he has has done well for himself since passing ownership on. And the string of Africans and Latins who seem to have staffed and run the place continuously for many years have carried on the tradition of excellence.

Of course, it was my kids who lifted me from preferring the place, to loving it. First the boy, now in college, who would walk with me the two blocks with from his preschool to the Italian Deli (Prego) run by the two buff dudes that got a shipment in every morning, for an after school snack. We didn't have a car, then, so we'd walk home, munching bagels and hiding from the sphinxes that menaced 16th street from the steps of the Masonic Temple and exploring the alleys for treasure and trash.

And then, in the recent years, it's been a destination on Saturday mornings with my daughter, us being the only two up at eight on a Saturday morning, while mom and the boy slept in. Maybe a stop at the Starbucks for a Mocha, maybe a dash across the bridge to the Arlington farmer's market, but always a stop for bagels. Summers we'd go in for breakfast once a week, before Arts Camp just up the road. As I saw her older brother drifting into the normal pursuits of a late teen, and striking out -- mentally and emotionally -- on his own, the weekly hour spent (I knew how to drag this out) with my other child on a project that was only ours was a rare delight.

Well, she's 15 now, so the trips have become less frequent. Fish gotta swim. But the bagels were still damn good, and I'm glad I have a few in the freezer.

The shop is slated to become a yuppie oyster shack -- as though I need someone shuck my oysters for me and sell me marked-up Muscadet. More oysters every day in washington. No place left that can make a bagel. I saw the offending chef out buying organic arugula at the market the other morning, and I thought about grabbing him by his hip little sideburns and giving him what for. But I hear he's a good cook and he's probably a nice guy and I guess it could be worse. It could be a Potbelly.

After I paid for the bagels I went across the street for some salmon, and rallied my car from its space a block away, and headed back past the Bagel Bakery, depressed and bitter. On a whim, double parked in front, there on M Street despite the cops and the traffic, and dashed in to throw a twenty into the tip bucket.

What else are you going to do?

What I believe was the only Church's in the city limits was torched during the 1991 Mt. Pleasant riots. Extra crispy and all that.

The Georgetown AmCaf -- as we locals called it -- was the first one. Whatever happened to them? They seemed to have a decent strategy but they blew it, apparently,

Summer 1987. My first real restaurant job (aside from being a busboy at Sizzler's) was as a waiter at the Georgetown American Cafe. The kitchen staff used to regularly laugh at how completely clueless I was. Oh the horrors I inadvertantly inflicted on many patrons but thankfully not the drug dealers who frequented the place when they wanted to go "classy" in Georgetown. I did get to see Madonna slumped over in a booth, which was a big deal in 1987!

Dude, how long has it been since you've been to 14th street? You don't your Glock, you need your gold card for Cork. :mellow:

When I used to end up at Yum's after midnight 10+ years ago I used to wish the window to the street was bullet-proof, in addition to the one dividing the kitchen from the waiting area, for fear that a bunch of knuckleheads would see a rival dealer there and do a drive by on the place. A Kung-pao chicken worth risking your life for (of course, after nine beers I'm bullet-proof anyway).

In the Fall of 1962, while a 16 year old in tenth grade at Montgomery Blair in Silver Spring, I had a part time job at the Safeway on 14th street just south of U. Wings and Things (incredible chicken with "Mambo" sauce) was directly across the street and a horde of 'ho's worked the street next to where I would park my new 1963 Chevy Impala SS by 14th and Swan. One of my best friends went to Howard and, because of him, I first saw James Brown six blocks down U street at the Howard theatre. For a suburban white kid from Silver Spring this was a real stretch to go there. In home room nobody believed me. Still, I was introduced to friends that I knew for years and who warmly accepted me for myself. Over time I met a number of the working girls and a number of the Howard students who worked at or near the Safeway. (Some of whom are doctors and CEO's today!). I wouldn't trade that experience for anything. I literally grew up emotionally and, in a way, educationally near 14th and U. I am a better person for it today with memories that will never escape me.

Shakey's, and while it has not completely shut down, they have left the area, according to Shakeys.com the closest location is 564 miles away in Warner Robins, GA. I don't miss the pizza, it was disgusting and it would take at good 2 dozen napkins to remove the grease off the top of the pie and the pictures of the pizza on the website look even worse than I remember. What I miss are the Mojo's, basically slices of potatoes that were battered with their friend chicken breading and deep fried. I am sure that my memory of them far outpaces their actual performance on the tongue, and it very well could be that it was the company of the delightfully, charming and enthralling young lady who introduced me to them that made them taste so good.

It was always funny to go to the Rockville location (now Hooters) with her to break Passover and watch the throngs of Jewish kids eating pepperoni pizzas.

The Shakey's in Timonium, MD always had a banjo player (and maybe a piano?) on Friday nights with a sing a long. The words were projected via slides on the wall. Sometimes they ran old "our Gang" reruns as well. ahhh...good times, good times

I always had a picture in my mind of a cartoonishly stereotypical Italian chef with an epic hangover trying to stem the nausea as he kneads the dough in a cold sweat.

Mmm, Shakey's.

To Washingtonians of un age certain, THIS will take you back. Follow the link to the jingle, half-way down.

I never ate at one of these places, nor even to my recollection laid eyes on any of them. I have no idea where they were, but there were, apparently, nine of them "all around the town". I wish I knew who the radio guy at the end of the audio was. The jingle was utterly inescapable on top-forty radio in Washington back in the day, along with "Mario's Pizza House in Arlington Town" and, for a non-cuisine-related one, "Herson's, Herson's 8th and O".

To Washingtonians of un age certain, THIS will take you back. Follow the link to the jingle, half-way down.

I never ate at one of these places, nor even to my recollection laid eyes on any of them. I have no idea where they were, but there were, apparently, nine of them "all around the town". I wish I knew who the radio guy at the end of the audio was. The jingle was utterly inescapable on top-forty radio in Washington back in the day, along with "Mario's Pizza House in Arlington Town" and, for a non-cuisine-related one, "Herson's, Herson's 8th and O".

There was an Eddie Leonards Sandwich shop on Bladensburg rd. N.E across from Mount Olivet Cemetary. I ate there once.

There was one in Adams Morgan, around 18th and S, south of Swann, and another that I remember on Georgia Avenue near Lamont. The radio announcer at the end of the jingle sounds a lot like Ed Walker to me.

There was one in Adams Morgan, around 18th and S, south of Swann, and another that I remember on Georgia Avenue near Lamont. The radio announcer at the end of the jingle sounds a lot like Ed Walker to me.
Really?! Back in those days, I never ventured into such neighborhoods, growing up in Arlington. 18th and S? I'm pretty near certain that it wasn't still there when I moved to the 1500 block of Swann Street in 1978, but I could be wrong. Actually, I'm beginning to see a mental image of it, as I mentally walk east along S Street approaching 18th. Stone Soup was there...perhaps Eddie Leonard was just north of that? And I think you're definitely right about Ed Walker. What a great radio voice.
There was an Eddie Leonards Sandwich shop on Bladensburg rd. N.E across from Mount Olivet Cemetary. I ate there once.
But did you, in fact, take a short drive for a long, large measure of sandwich and pizza pleasure?

Hope Key (or was it Kee?) Unassuming Chinese restaurant which used to be in a storefront on Wilson Blvd. in Clarendon, pretty much right across the street from the Metro, from what I remember. I had my first Chow Fun and steamed dumplings there, and I remember liking pretty much everything I ever ate there. I liked the atmosphere, too, seemed like a mix of neighborhood folks and some of the poseur types who were just beginning to encroach on the area at the time, but no one ever made a scene or behaved too obnoxiously. I was introduced to the place by a Korean friend (who never introduced me to any Korean restaurants, oddly enough...)

I've been to Tivoli numerous times over the years, and remember some enjoyable dinners in the past, including a Thanksgiving dinner one year (which isn't saying much coming from someone who once had Thanksgiving dinner at the Brass Duck in Laurel).

Ahhh, The Brass Duck....such fond memories...

I worked for the same restaurant group that owns/used to own the Brass Duck. I actually trained there for four days in 1988, because it was the shining star of the restaurant group. Maybe the Brass Duck and EJs Landing in College Park deserve their own thread.

On Rockville Pike in the building now occupied by The Original Pancake House was a restaurant called The Raindancer. I remember it being mostly occupied by the blue haired set, but what also captured my memory was the fried shrimp. This was before the proliferation of tasteless farmed shrimp from Asia, and what they served were large flavorful shrimp that were very lightly coated and cooked until just done. I am sure that there were other dishes that I tried, but none captured my imagination like those shrimp. As a side note I believe that this was owned by the same family that owned The Anchor Inn, and the various restaurants that have been in the building on the corner of 108 and Georgia Avenue in Olney, but the shrimp at those restaurants never reached the level found at the Raindancer.

The Connaught Place--a great little Indian restaurant in Downtown Fairfax. It closed a couple of years ago and I really miss it and the wonderful staff.

As you may know, Santosh eventually became the manager of Rangoli, way out in South Riding. Several of the other staff have more recently ended up at Raaga in Bailey's Crossroads, which IMHO is the closest Connaught replacement you'll find, even if it lacks the latter's consistency and ambiance.

As you may know, Santosh eventually became the manager of Rangoli, way out in South Riding. Several of the other staff have more recently ended up at Raaga in Bailey's Crossroads, which IMHO is the closest Connaught replacement you'll find, even if it lacks the latter's consistency and ambiance.

A little birdie told me that Santosh is now at Raaga.

(Yes, I've now been greeted by Santosh at Raaga a couple of times.)

I've got low-grade comfort food on the brain tonight. Scholl's cafeterias. And ordering chicken fried steak w/ double whip pot(atoes) at Hot Shoppes.

If I had a time machine, I'd zip back to the 40's for a day just to eat at a Horn & Hardart Automat. As a kid, even before I became aware of Star Trek and its food synthesizers, that section of H&H in the cafeteria at the Museum of History & Technology (now American History) fascinated me - a machine that dispenses food?! No wonder I spent so much time in college hanging around Macke vending machines.

I've got low-grade comfort food on the brain tonight. Scholl's cafeterias. And ordering chicken fried steak w/ double whip pot(atoes) at Hot Shoppes.

If I had a time machine, I'd zip back to the 40's for a day just to eat at a Horn & Hardart Automat. As a kid, even before I became aware of Star Trek and its food synthesizers, that section of H&H in the cafeteria at the Museum of History & Technology (now American History) fascinated me - a machine that dispenses food?! No wonder I spent so much time in college hanging around Macke vending machines.

I got to try what might have been the last Automat on my first visit to NYC (1972?). I was a a kid from the hinterlands (RI) so this was pretty cool. I'm sure I got some Jell-o.

I'll mention Two Crazy Greeks, a carryout sub shop on N. Charles St. in Baltimore. Not because the food was so great or anything, but because it takes me back to a time when I could stay up till 3 AM and eat a greasy cheesesteak with extra hots and not suffer any adverse consequences.

Also in the neighborhood and either gone (the Great American Melting Pot AKA GAMPY's, home of a great Monte Cristo) or transmogrified into something worthless (Louie's Bookstore Cafe). The Peabody Beer Stube, too. The Greaseman's Geezer Alarm is now going off full blast.

A few eons ago, I said:

I used to have a pork-and-Seville-oranges dish at a restaurant I really liked on 17th Street (I think it was called something like "Cantina del Sol" -- it morphed into the negligible La Frontera a long, long time ago).
I've been trying to remember the name of that place for years, and out of the blue it popped into my head yesterday, and of course it's nothing like "Cantina del Sol". The restaurant was called El Tropical, and they served some pretty good food. It was mid-block between McDonald's and Dupont Italian Kitchen.

The name kept repeating itself in my head as I slept one night last week.

"Gusti's"

I haven't had a single thought about Gusti's in probably 20 years. I've no idea what jogged those memories loose from their long slumber, but when I was little, my entire conception of pizza was defined by two landmarks: Ledo's, and Gusti's. The former because we lived in College Park for many years. The latter was a rare treat, I think coinciding with take-your-kid-to-work days, or maybe just when the whim took my dad. He ordered anchovies, which I loathed as an inexplicable stain of salt strewn with fishy pins. But there was PIZZA underneath!

I can't tell you the first thing about what a Gusti's pizza was like anymore...not how thick the crust, nor how heavy the topping. But like an overcooked steak from Blackie's House of Beef back when cars ran on leaded, I can honestly say that I liked it.

The name kept repeating itself in my head as I slept one night last week.

"Gusti's"

I haven't had a single thought about Gusti's in probably 20 years. I've no idea what jogged those memories loose from their long slumber, but when I was little, my entire conception of pizza was defined by two landmarks: Ledo's, and Gusti's. The former because we lived in College Park for many years. The latter was a rare treat, I think coinciding with take-your-kid-to-work days, or maybe just when the whim took my dad. He ordered anchovies, which I loathed as an inexplicable stain of salt strewn with fishy pins. But there was PIZZA underneath!

I can't tell you the first thing about what a Gusti's pizza was like anymore...not how thick the crust, nor how heavy the topping. But like an overcooked steak from Blackie's House of Beef back when cars ran on leaded, I can honestly say that I liked it.

Gusti's pizza was actually pretty sucky. But, it was free at happy hour with 2-for-1 beverages, which made the whole package go down easy.

I actually liked Vesuvio's Pizza, the tenant before Wrapworks. Interesting crowd. Nasty pizza...nasty good.
Oh my God, Vesuvios! I had completely forgotten that place. They had nasty good steak & cheese subs, too. Not as good (bad) as Trio, but would do if I wasn't in a condition to walk a few blocks over to 17th.

Vesuvio's was the sort of place that seemed like it would always be there, and then it wasn't. It was one of a very few places in the vicinity where you could get pizza by the slice, which has never been common in the Washington area, and it wasn't bad, nor was it very good. It was, of course, as used to be more traditional that it is now, a pizza joint run by Greeks, and they also had some Greek specialties. Their spanakopita wasn't bad. Vesuvio's was a greater asset to the neighborhood than anything that has occupied the space since, that's for sure.

Not as good (bad) as Trio
Of all the places that used to be and are no more, I can't think of any I miss less than the old Trio pizza and subs joint. They had nothing worth waiting ten minutes for, nothing worth eating, and to walk into the place was to lose interest in life. It was a vile hole whose long-term survival has always mystified me. I suppose they were the only place in the 17th-street corridor where you could get something to eat after midnight; that may have been the key to their dubious success.

Of all the places that used to be and are no more, I can't think of any I miss less than the old Trio pizza and subs joint. They had nothing worth waiting ten minutes for, nothing worth eating, and to walk into the place was to lose interest in life. It was a vile hole whose long-term survival has always mystified me. I suppose they were the only place in the 17th-street corridor where you could get something to eat after midnight; that may have been the key to their dubious success.

Once was enough. Absolutely awful. My fondest memory of Trio was at 10 in the morning. I had an appointment in the neighborhood and stopped in for breakfast. My banana-curled waitress took my order, gave it to the kitchen and walked to cashier area where the liquor was and took a shot of warm Popov vodka. You go girl!

Once was enough. Absolutely awful. My fondest memory of Trio was at 10 in the morning. I had an appointment in the neighborhood and stopped in for breakfast. My banana-curled waitress took my order, gave it to the kitchen and walked to cashier area where the liquor was and took a shot of warm Popov vodka. You go girl!
Sounds like Estelle. Did she have bright orange hair?

You, my friend, a scoundrel and a snob. Were this an earlier era, I should have cast my gauntlet to the ground and had you and your second meet me in Bladensburg at dawn, that I might draw revenge for your cruel slander of my great, deceased, friend, Trio's Sub Shop.

Nothing now available within the city limits of Washington DC for less than $10 tastes better in the hours after midnight than did a Trio's steak and cheese, with everything, including hots. Nothing.

Trio's pies, while unexceptional, surely lived on the high side of the bell curve; to praise (however faintly) Vesuvios while dismissing Trios is to embody the concept of cognitive dissonance.

And, while I have no reason to speak ill of the upscale huiterie that now occupies that space, with its thirty-dollar Sancerres and twenty-dollar steaks, this city has far more need of outdoor seating that can be purchased for the price of a pitcher of Budweiser and and a basket of fries, than of another pricey outpost with a lengthy waiting list. Cab drivers and college students (and those of us supporting them) and those unposessed of gold cards and partnership tracks, too, appreciate the rhythms of a temperate night and the odd glow on the faces of the passers-by, and gritty poetry of a city corner.

And, of course, a decent steak and cheese.

I agree with Waitman. When I lived nearby in the mid-eighties you couldn't buy better entertainment than a seat on the patio at Trios in the evening, drinking a cold one and watching the world in that part of town [much sketchier than now] go by.

Well, I lived near the Trio Sub Shop all through the 1980s and into the early 90s, and while I ate at the Trio restaurant fairly often, my two or three experiences with the sub shop were not such that I cared to repeat them. They had no beer better than Budweiser, the food sucked, and the place always looked like it would give a health inspector the heebie-jeebies.

Of old, my favorite resort when in need of sustenance late at night was the Toddle House, although that was when I was living in Arlington and owned a car and patronized the one on Columbia Pike. The lone remaining instance of the Toddle House chain is the Steak 'n' Egg Kitchen in Tenleytown, which changed its name sometime after the Toddle House chain was bought by whoever owned S'nEK. The combined nation-wide S'nEK chain has since completely disappeared except for the Tenleytown spot, where I last ate when it was a Toddle House, which probably would put it around 1971 or so.

The nutty thing about Scholl's is: didn't they have two locations? Mom would always take us and I would get confused - being younger and not as observant as the ironstomach.

I miss Hungry Herman's in College Park, for two reasons: at the age of 8, Dad introduced me to a sub the size of my forearm, and the ironstomach had his name up on the wall, on the all-time leaderboards of Robotron and Defender (I think - it was a while ago.) My oldest brother is a video game savant! Proud moments.

The nutty thing about Scholl's is: didn't they have two locations? Mom would always take us and I would get confused - being younger and not as observant as the ironstomach.

I miss Hungry Herman's in College Park, for two reasons: at the age of 8, Dad introduced me to a sub the size of my forearm, and the ironstomach had his name up on the wall, on the all-time leaderboards of Robotron and Defender (I think - it was a while ago.) My oldest brother is a video game savant! Proud moments.

Scholl's was on Vermont AVenue between K street and 14th.

Before there was Robotron or Defender there was Eight Ball Deluxe and even earlier pinball machines at Hungry Herman's. For that matter, there were two owners: one whose first name was Bill and I believed lived in Hillandale. But this is 35 years or more ago...

And then I think they moved to the location on 20th near K...which may be why rockcreek thought there were two locations? (Same block with Washington Deli. It used to be called the Esplanade Mall, and Greenwood's was upstairs facing K Street.)

IIRC, there were two Scholl's locations for a while; the newer one was known as Scholl's New World Cafeteria. I believe it was the last to close.

As for HH, unfortunately I was never a credible Defender player. Star Trek "Strategic Operations Simulator", Qbert and Zaxxon perhaps, but the undisputed king of Defender and Stargate in College Park was my pal "MAD" Mike. You know you're a videogame nerd when you know your lunch pals only by their three-letter high score initials for the first four months...but that's another story.

Obligatory auld lang food: UMd's Turner Dairy came up with a special ice cream flavor in honor of the state's 350th anniversary in 1984, and called it Chesapeake Wild Berry Ripple. And it was good.

Of old, my favorite resort when in need of sustenance late at night was the Toddle House, although that was when I was living in Arlington and owned a car and patronized the one on Columbia Pike.

There was a Toddle House in College Park that supplied my late-night breakfast needs for a time in the 80's. I have no idea if it was any good, because we only went after a night at the 'Vous. The building is still there, but I can't recall what it is now - maybe an IHOP?

IHOP seems to have cornered the 24-hour breakfast market nationwide, which is too bad because their food is awful. How I wish we had a Waffle House inside the beltway...

The 20th & K Scholls was an occasional lunchtime destination when I worked at the Kennedy Center.

What do I miss?

Shakey's Pizza in Bethesda, near the metro and across from what was the Hot Shoppes (now Chevy Chase Bank HQ).

Could that be related to the chain in the midwest?

In suburban Chicago, even as a young child--and despite the nearly constant string of friends' birthday parties celebrated there--I wouldn't touch Shakey's pizza with a ten-foot pole. Just orange Fanta, thank you. [shudder]

IHOP seems to have cornered the 24-hour breakfast market nationwide, which is too bad because their food is awful.
You're forgetting Denny's, which is even worse. You're right about Waffle House; much better, and sort of along the same lines as the lamented Toddle House. According to the Waffle House website, the closest one to Washington is in Dumfries VA, which would be rather a long way to go for eggs and bacon late at night.

What do I miss?

Shakey's Pizza in Bethesda, near the metro and across from what was the Hot Shoppes (now Chevy Chase Bank HQ).

The Shakey's in Annandale didn't close until '02 or '03, and could still crank out highly acceptable pizza.

You're forgetting Denny's, which is even worse. You're right about Waffle House; much better, and sort of along the same lines as the lamented Toddle House. According to the Waffle House website, the closest one to Washington is in Dumfries VA, which would be rather a long way to go for eggs and bacon late at night.
There's also one in Manassas - apparently there's some sort of bacon-grease and hash-brown rampart along Business 234. You've got to love a chain that's gone to the lengths of having special songs recorded about themselves to add to the selections on the jukebox, including "Special Lady at the Waffle House." :rolleyes:

this is where i learned the hazards of leaning over a plate of chicken parmigiana wearing an unanchored tie and dipping it in tomato sauce.

in high school i was there with a couple of my wild friends. when he got up to the register, one of them decided to pay, for the amusement of those following him in line, with a porky pig $5 bill. when the "elderly" cashier accepted it, which he hadn't expected, he snatched it out of her hand before it went into the till. he then handed her real money. "Make up your mind," she snapped at him. one of the best laughs i ever had -- and an indication of some of the clientele they had to put up with.