Auld Lang Cuisine

I spent many a dissolute evening at Mr. Eagan's in Dupont Circle during the 1980s. The food was never the best, but the beer was cold and the clientele always friendly. I miss that place.

They seved food at Eagan's?"

To the waitress: "Nice tattoo."

Her: "Yeah, I got it in prison."

Could that be related to the chain in the midwest?

In suburban Chicago, even as a young child--and despite the nearly constant string of friends' birthday parties celebrated there--I wouldn't touch Shakey's pizza with a ten-foot pole. Just orange Fanta, thank you. [shudder]

Possibly. I loved the pitchers of birch beer too much to venture into the orange soda zone. And yes, it wasn't the greatest, but a pizza parlor in the truest sense (complete with tableside Keno?)

Since we're in a reminiscent mood, let me throw out a few more from the 70s and 80s. Any memories of these out there?

-- S&W Cafeteria---located somewhere in what is now the Executive Blvd area of Rockville. Nothing special but cafeterias were the few places my parents took us when we were younger. Including the Hot Shoppes in Montgomery Mall.

-- Burger Chef---I remember it was the first place that had a fixin's bar. My dad loved to overload on the pickles. Remember Jeff?

-- Peter Pan Inn, Urbana---this was the fancy-night-out place. I still remember the fried chicken and hush puppies.

-- Farrell's, Wheaton Plaza---how could you not like a place with that huge Zoo sundae and those loud horns and lights?

As pointed out, Shakey's was the ultimate pizza parlor atmosphere. I fondly remember those fried potato things on the all-you-can-eat buffet.

Speaking of cafeterias, the non-institutional kind really seems to have vanished from the scene. Remember the cafeteria in the Universal Building, east side of Connecticut Avenue north of Florida? I think I ate there a total of once, in either 1980 or 1981. The food was lousy, but at least the atmosphere was depressing. I can't remember if it was part of a chain like S&W or a free-standing business.

I spent many a dissolute evening at Mr. Eagan's in Dupont Circle during the 1980s. The food was never the best, but the beer was cold and the clientele always friendly. I miss that place.

My dad and his work group spent quite a bit of time here too, and so I did also by extension. I think his dart team used Mr. Egan's as a home base. It was probably one of the diveiest (sp?) bars I've been in, but it had a depressing charm (and a cast of characters) that made it a nice weeknight home. My dad was quite bummed when it closed.

Since we're in a reminiscent mood, let me throw out a few more from the 70s and 80s. Any memories of these out there?

-- S&W Cafeteria---located somewhere in what is now the Executive Blvd area of Rockville. Nothing special but cafeterias were the few places my parents took us when we were younger. Including the Hot Shoppes in Montgomery Mall.

-- Burger Chef---I remember it was the first place that had a fixin's bar. My dad loved to overload on the pickles. Remember Jeff?

-- Peter Pan Inn, Urbana---this was the fancy-night-out place. I still remember the fried chicken and hush puppies.

-- Farrell's, Wheaton Plaza---how could you not like a place with that huge Zoo sundae and those loud horns and lights?

As pointed out, Shakey's was the ultimate pizza parlor atmosphere. I fondly remember those fried potato things on the all-you-can-eat buffet.

Burger Chef & Jeff! What a stroll down memory lane. Got my "collectible" Star Wars glassware there back in the day. I think the whole franchise system got swallowed up by the Hardee's/Carl's Jr. conglomerate at least a decade or so ago. Was their marquee burger called the "Big Chef"? Now off for a Monster Thickburger...

Four (largely unrelated) items.

1. What was the name of the campy Italian place on Connecticut in Cleveland Park that had the trophies (animal heads) on the walls? Went there once shortly before it closed (about 12 years ago?) and am still trying to get over the weirdness.

2. I miss Havana Cafe, which used to be right at the Courthouse metro stop, IIRC. I thought it was the best Cuban around.

3. For 24-hour breakfast, Cracker Barrel beats IHOP and Denny's hands down, in my book.

4. Once at the late Nick & Stef's, a prominent DC politician was dining with his family, which included his two teenage sons, at the booth next to ours. Waiter takes their order, and asks if anyone would care for a sauce to go with the steak. Dad asks for bearnaise ... then one son asks for ketchup and the other requests A-1. After waiter departs, boys get lecture about "appreciating the finer things." Wife and I struggled mightily to stifle the chuckles that really wanted to escape.

Burger Chef & Jeff! What a stroll down memory lane. Got my "collectible" Star Wars glassware there back in the day. I think the whole franchise system got swallowed up by the Hardee's/Carl's Jr. conglomerate at least a decade or so ago. Was their marquee burger called the "Big Chef"? Now off for a Monster Thickburger...

Burger Chef. The first Burger KING in the D. C. area was on Piney Branch road just south of University Blvd around '61 or '62. I remember Merrill's ("The Big M") on University outside of Langley Park but I can't remember the first Burger Chef. But it was NOT as good as the charcoal broiled Burger King. This was a big deal in home room at Blair in the early '60's! Still my parents on Saturday night would take excursions to Hybla Valley, VA (which, then, was a one hour and a half drive (!) ) to eat at the first McDonald's in the D. C. area. (Note: the first Wendy's in the D. C. area wasn't that far away!) Montgomery County's first McDonald's was on the Rockville Pike; later a Hot Shoppes JR opened a half mile down the Pike across from Congressional but it was never as good as that McDonald's which used fresh beef and fresh potatoes along with real ice cream and milk in their milkshakes.

Animal heads on CT? The Roma.

Havana Cafe? Didn't compare to the Omega which is still sorely missed by me (and probably several thousand others!!!).

The original Cracker Barrel (Jimmy Floyd and Billy Baxter and Cumberland Valley Shows were a primary reason for their success-they put up the money) Tennessee Carnies ((yes, Carnies who were as passionate foodies as anyone who have ever contributed to this or any board!! Carnies who travelled 50,000+ miles a year around the U. S. and, almost to a man or a woman, did their best to EAT their way around the country. And they ALL had opinions on which was best. Again, this was before Roadfood, Chowhound, eGullet or anyone else!)) was a testiment to their love of food. Today the Cracker Barrel has long forgotten them but in the early '80's I would stop at a Cracker Barrel every morning while travelling in the South and toast them with a cup of coffee. Serious comment: long before Chowhound, eGullet, Rockwell, Jane and Michael Stern or any others there were passionate, travelling foodies like Jimmy and Billy. They WERE THE FIRST! They knew America's best Q, best chicken fried steak, best carne asada long before anyone could sit at a typewriter and write about them.

I salute them.

Joe Heflin

Four (largely unrelated) items.

1. What was the name of the campy Italian place on Connecticut in Cleveland Park that had the trophies (animal heads) on the walls? Went there once shortly before it closed (about 12 years ago?) and am still trying to get over the weirdness.

2. I miss Havana Cafe, which used to be right at the Courthouse metro stop, IIRC. I thought it was the best Cuban around.

3. For 24-hour breakfast, Cracker Barrel beats IHOP and Denny's hands down, in my book.

4. Once at the late Nick & Stef's, a prominent DC politician was dining with his family, which included his two teenage sons, at the booth next to ours. Waiter takes their order, and asks if anyone would care for a sauce to go with the steak. Dad asks for bearnaise ... then one son asks for ketchup and the other requests A-1. After waiter departs, boys get lecture about "appreciating the finer things." Wife and I struggled mightily to stifle the chuckles that really wanted to escape.

The campy place was Roma which featured the heads supposedly shot by the owner whose name was Frank Abbo. Abbo, curiously enough, was killed at about 2 AM crossing Connecticult Avenue by someone who was speeding home.

Ther was a great pancake house that I loved going to as a kid...it was called The 3 Chefs...and it was located in Annandale where the Fuddruckers currently is located. 3 Chefs had great pancakes and breakfast items. The always had a 6 pack syrup caddy on the table with Maple, Blueberry, Raspberry and 3 other flavors that escape me.

I also miss Hot Shoppes...they had THE BEST CHicken Noodle soup...Period...God I wold kill for some of that soup now :rolleyes:

A large black coffee at Naceur Negra's coffee cart, on H Street between 22nd and 23rd, just off the north side of GWU's Kogan Plaza. If you don't know about this place, you should - he's there Monday through Friday, 7 AM to 6 PM.

He sold it. :D

When I arrived in Washington in the '60s, I lived in the Howard Johnson's on Virginia Avenue for a couple of months. Often I came back from the State Dept at noon, ordered lunch, usually breaded haddock and a salad, plus one of their 27 kinds of ice cream, took it all up to the rooftop pool, ate, and tranquilly paddled around while I listened to the radio to see if I needed to scurry back. The food was plain stuff but I have never enjoyed a meal more.

When I arrived in Washington in the '60s, I lived in the Howard Johnson's on Virginia Avenue for a couple of months. Often I came back from the State Dept at noon, ordered lunch, usually breaded haddock and a salad, plus one of their 27 kinds of ice cream, took it all up to the rooftop pool, ate, and tranquilly paddled around while I listened to the radio to see if I needed to scurry back. The food was plain stuff but I have never enjoyed a meal more.

As I recall from my days in Foggy Bottom, HoJos was best consumed after 2AM, while shitfaced. But not bad even during daylight hours. Mmmmmmmmmm.....clam feast.

susan's post about missing Corduroy's old presentation of their scallops got me to thinking about dishes that I loved but have disappeared. I know that I'm not the only one who has favorites that have disappeared or only make fleeting appearances.

Corduroy's lamb chops with mini ravioli, Restaurant Eve's bacon, egg, and cheese salad and my favorite of them all, Palena's tomato bread soup top my list.

The dishes that I miss the most are not so refined, but they remind me of my youth in Rockville when there was only one McDonald's on the Pike. They are the Dottie's Double Dip at the old Fritzby's, the garlic pita chips from the salad bar at Phineas, and the fried shrimp at Raindancer (there are others, but I figure I have embarrassed myself enough for one night).

For me, a favorite treat was the baked custard at the Hot Shoppes at Bailey's Crossroads. Always good, often sold out by the time we got there in the evening.

TSchaad

And this post brought back sweet memories of Sunday brunch with my grandparents at that Hot Shoppes location. The cheese blintzes with cherry or strawberry sauce were a special, exotic breakfast dish for this little girl from Minnesota. I also vaguely remember a quiche-like dish that was pretty tasty, too - served in a square pan, more of a egg/ham/cheese casserole.

Not a restaurant per se, but opening a jar of Pace chunky salsa reminded me of how I missed the Territorial House salsa from New Mexico, a jarred version of the salsa by the restaurant of the same name. In the early 90s, a friend from NM used to receive care packages of the stuff, and I remember the chunky flavors (and generous proportion of chiles) being a far cry from the more watery Texas-style salsas you could find here. Alas, they sold out to Pace about 15 years ago, who quickly discontinued the line.

We were reminiscing the other day about going to a place called Pizza de Resistance at what is now the Court House plaza when we were feeling flush with cash. It was a semi-upscale pizza place in an era before such places littered the landscape. It did not last too long. It was probably 20 years too early.

Does anyone remember Cafe La Rouche in White Flint Mall? It was on the third floor, across from the movie theaters. They had the most delicious French desserts. I use to order this ginormous chocolate cake roll, filled with sweet cream. They had a vanilla version too, with strawberries and cream. They were also one of the few cafes that served floating islands. Theirs were delicious.

I also miss Gino's down on Wisconsin Avenue. My parents used to take me there a LOT when I was in grade school. The burgers were so good, I remember.

In the 70s, my mother took me to a place in Bethesda called The Treat Well, and I had a delicious hamburger there. I was in kindergarten, but I remember it was one of the tastiest burgers I had ever had. It was on Old Georgetown Road, across from what is now La Madeleine. There's a high rise there now.

Maggie's Pizza in Wheaton was another childhood memory. My parents would take us kids there for pizza, and we sat in the restaurant at a table. Sounds odd to recall, but we rarely sat in a restaurant just to eat pizza.

Also, does anyone remember Hunan on Rockville Pike? It turned into a Land Rover dealership, but I remember the minced squab soup they served there was one of the most delectable soups I had ever tasted.

Thanks for the link!!!! I'm so excited--I don't know where King of Prussia is, but my mother-in-law lives outside Carlisle, PA. Hopefully King of Prussia isn't too far from there. I'm going to look at a map right now. :)

They are 2+ hours apart. Sorry. I remember Gino's as a kid too. We lived maybe 25 minutes from King of Prussia, but they used to be all over.

Am I the only person on the board who remembers Le Steak? It was in Georgetown and part of a small chain (with chapters in NYC and Philly, IIRC) where, for a fixed price, you got a salad, cubes of steak with a mustard sauce cooked however you wanted, plus the best french fries outside of Europe. Tax, tip, beverages, and dessert not included. Call me a troglodyte, but I loved the place (when I could afford it). This place in Cleveland Park sounds awfully familiar. . .

Am I the only person on the board who remembers Le Steak? It was in Georgetown and part of a small chain (with chapters in NYC and Philly, IIRC) where, for a fixed price, you got a salad, cubes of steak with a mustard sauce cooked however you wanted, plus the best french fries outside of Europe. Tax, tip, beverages, and dessert not included. Call me a troglodyte, but I loved the place (when I could afford it). This place in Cleveland Park sounds awfully familiar. . .

I remember walking by it, but as a broke college kid -- a phase that lasted nine years for me -- I never had the scratch to pony up.

We were reminiscing the other day about going to a place called Pizza de Resistance at what is now the Court House plaza when we were feeling flush with cash. It was a semi-upscale pizza place in an era before such places littered the landscape. It did not last too long. It was probably 20 years too early.

Yes I remember that - not a bad happy hour too and they had this weird cutlery that wouldn't stay flat on the table. One thing I remember is that they had an option of a "Tomato Dill Dough" which caused much sniggering whenever we heard anyone ordering it.

I'd love to see the next spot offer the general store fried chicken, the colorado kitchen brunch and stay in business for at least 5-7 years. Now that'd be something! :)

I miss Colorado Kitchen. :)

I used to get a teabag every time I went there and I'm not kidding.

Sadly there's nothing like Lion d'Or around anymore as far as I know. I'm not sure it is supportable anymore.

Phyllis Richman on Le Lion d'Or in 1997

From the column:

"The wine service has old-world finesse, although one hapless diner who brought along a special bottle was told in no uncertain terms that not even a corkage fee would buy permission to open it."

Well, ha, ha, ha, world! :unsure: Hey, Elliot Staren, remember our meal when you brought 79 Piper Rare, 89 (?) Henri Gouges La Perrière (blanc), 55 La Mission, 53 Haut-Brion, a magnum of 53 Pichon-Lalande, and 67 (?) d'Yquem? I'm regurgitating this from memory some 18 years later, and now you know why I'm DonRocks (and I'm still paying for the meal - four-hundred-fifty fuckin dollars later :mellow:).

#1 Sammys Villa pizza joint with the stereotypical photos of Sammy and his Super Suntan along with various Hollywood celebs and gangstas Best Pizza ever and Best Steak Sub ever!

#2 the original Giffords Ice Cream parlor in downtown Silver Spring.......what better place to go after a trip to Bonanza Coins???? Never had another "Swiss Sundae" that could compare.......or the good old hot butterscotch sundae where they brought you the syrup in a little hot vat that you poured on yourself........YEAH BABY!

#3 Hot Shoppes JR.......a hamburger joint with very unique and delicious burgers. I was once ejected for jumping over the counter to get a free drink refill and didnt want to wait for the guy to come back. Ah the impetuousness of youth..............

#4 Big Eds Pizza.........mostly remembered as a local Little League team sponsor for years, they promised us free pizza for every win, free cokes after every loss. THE ENTIRE YEAR WE HAD COKES!!! Last game they relented and we had pizza anyhow! Big Ed had a memorable death watching an Orioles game at Texas,Had a heart attack, and died in the stands.......they couldnt haul him out cause he was TOO DAMNED BIG!

#5 White Oak Bowling Alley EAT N BOWL.........pretty damned good burgers off the grill there, although you had to compare them to the vending machine burgers that you heated up in a toaster oven , those were the most rubbery tasteless sandwiches ever contrived by a mad scientist!!!!! Im sure my arteries narrowed 0.1% for every one I ate.................

#6 Hot Fudge Sundae at Highs Dairy store in White Oak.......in later years a great place to buy eggs for our nightly battles and misdeeds.............

Im sure I could think of more but enough about all that health food I had as a kid.......................................

#1 Sammys Villa pizza joint with the stereotypical photos of Sammy and his Super Suntan along with various Hollywood celebs and gangstas Best Pizza ever and Best Steak Sub ever!

#2 the original Giffords Ice Cream parlor in downtown Silver Spring.......what better place to go after a trip to Bonanza Coins???? Never had another "Swiss Sundae" that could compare.......or the good old hot butterscotch sundae where they brought you the syrup in a little hot vat that you poured on yourself........YEAH BABY!

#3 Hot Shoppes JR.......a hamburger joint with very unique and delicious burgers. I was once ejected for jumping over the counter to get a free drink refill and didnt want to wait for the guy to come back. Ah the impetuousness of youth..............

#4 Big Eds Pizza.........mostly remembered as a local Little League team sponsor for years, they promised us free pizza for every win, free cokes after every loss. THE ENTIRE YEAR WE HAD COKES!!! Last game they relented and we had pizza anyhow! Big Ed had a memorable death watching an Orioles game at Texas,Had a heart attack, and died in the stands.......they couldnt haul him out cause he was TOO DAMNED BIG!

#5 White Oak Bowling Alley EAT N BOWL.........pretty damned good burgers off the grill there, although you had to compare them to the vending machine burgers that you heated up in a toaster oven , those were the most rubbery tasteless sandwiches ever contrived by a mad scientist!!!!! Im sure my arteries narrowed 0.1% for every one I ate.................

#6 Hot Fudge Sundae at Highs Dairy store in White Oak.......in later years a great place to buy eggs for our nightly battles and misdeeds.............

Im sure I could think of more but enough about all that health food I had as a kid.......................................

York Castle on Hungerford Drive (ONLY this location) has the ONLY original Gifford ice cream. He made it for Gifford's in the '70's and up until '81 when they closed. He opened his Montgomery Hills store several weeks after Gifford's closed. (He no longer owns this one.) When we moved to Reston we would still drive back to Georgia Avenue for a Swiss sundae. When he opened in Rockville a couple of years ago in the old Kohr Bros. location he still had it. And fresh peach...and pumpkin...

The Charcoal Pit in Wilmington, DE has Hot Shoppes original hot fudge ice cream cake. In the '50's they made the exact same ones. Hot Shoppes eventually closed all their stores (I worked at #10 at Wisconsin and Van Ness) and the Charcoal Pit continues as a long standing Wilmington institution with really good hamburgers in their three locations.

I was once in a league at White Oak in the '60's and remember watching Jimmy Dietsch who, at the time, averaged about 130.

Both Sammy's and Louie, JR in Blair Park had good pizza. Pop's on Henderson in Wheaton was a step up. Of course the original roast beef sub from the original Jerry's on University Blvd. may have been the best of all. This was when Abe (who moved that Jerry's from Kennedy street in the '50's where he named it after his son) would mix hot peppers with pickle juice. When Adam Schwartz and Bob Beigleman bought Jerry's from Max (who bought it from Abe) they stopped selling roast beef subs and bought bottled hot pepper relish.

Didn't both Sammy's and Louie, JR make a steak and cheese sub that had grilled onions and peppers along with tomato sauce ladled on it?

York Castle on Hungerford Drive (ONLY this location) has the ONLY original Gifford ice cream. He made it for Gifford's in the '70's and up until '81 when they closed. He opened his Montgomery Hills store several weeks after Gifford's closed. (He no longer owns this one.) When we moved to Reston we would still drive back to Georgia Avenue for a Swiss sundae. When he opened in Rockville a couple of years ago in the old Kohr Bros. location he still had it. And fresh peach...and pumpkin...

The Charcoal Pit in Wilmington, DE has Hot Shoppes original hot fudge ice cream cake. In the '50's they made the exact same ones. Hot Shoppes eventually closed all their stores (I worked at #10 at Wisconsin and Van Ness) and the Charcoal Pit continues as a long standing Wilmington institution with really good hamburgers in their three locations.

I was once in a league at White Oak in the '60's and remember watching Jimmy Dietsch who, at the time, averaged about 130.

Both Sammy's and Louie, JR in Blair Park had good pizza. Pop's on Henderson in Wheaton was a step up. Of course the original roast beef sub from the original Jerry's on University Blvd. may have been the best of all. This was when Abe (who moved that Jerry's from Kennedy street in the '50's where he named it after his son) would mix hot peppers with pickle juice. When Adam Schwartz and Bob Beigleman bought Jerry's from Max (who bought it from Abe) they stopped selling roast beef subs and bought bottled hot pepper relish.

Didn't both Sammy's and Louie, JR make a steak and cheese sub that had grilled onions and peppers along with tomato sauce ladled on it?

Jimmy Dietsch was THE MAN in duckpins back in the 1960s! Jerrys Subs were great, Id forgotten about them. Speaking of ice cream joints, anyone remember Wileys? (not sure if I spelled it right). This was a sit down ice cream shop that had about a 10 page menu of different sundaes, most of which were enormous and cleverly named (like THE THING) including one called I BET YOU CANT where they gave you some inordinately large amount of scoops and if you finished it up all by yourself it was free. They had all the oversized dishes stacked around the counter most of them looking more like feeding troughs or gigantic flower vases. I think it was in Langley Park or maybe Tacoma Park.......... also remember in the 60s a pre Bonanza type place called The Charcoal House that had some pretty good flame broiled steaks for low dollars. Anyone remember the Luau Hut in Silver Spring? Back in the day, that was fine dining.........my Dad told me he was eating lunch there one day and honest to God a safe came crashing through the roof! Apparently dropped from a crane or something like that.......this was the place that had the drinks with the little parasols in them, and of course the flaming Poo Poo Platter.....with tiny skewers of beef and chicken that you roasted in a crackling fire......for a kid this was AWESOME. Thanks for responding to the thread and hope youre doing well at Reston!

Jimmy Dietsch was THE MAN in duckpins back in the 1960s! Jerrys Subs were great, Id forgotten about them. Speaking of ice cream joints, anyone remember Wileys? (not sure if I spelled it right). This was a sit down ice cream shop that had about a 10 page menu of different sundaes, most of which were enormous and cleverly named (like THE THING) including one called I BET YOU CANT where they gave you some inordinately large amount of scoops and if you finished it up all by yourself it was free. They had all the oversized dishes stacked around the counter most of them looking more like feeding troughs or gigantic flower vases. I think it was in Langley Park or maybe Tacoma Park.......... also remember in the 60s a pre Bonanza type place called The Charcoal House that had some pretty good flame broiled steaks for low dollars. Anyone remember the Luau Hut in Silver Spring? Back in the day, that was fine dining.........my Dad told me he was eating lunch there one day and honest to God a safe came crashing through the roof! Apparently dropped from a crane or something like that.......this was the place that had the drinks with the little parasols in them, and of course the flaming Poo Poo Platter.....with tiny skewers of beef and chicken that you roasted in a crackling fire......for a kid this was AWESOME. Thanks for responding to the thread and hope youre doing well at Reston!

Weile's. Wow! Similar to Jerry's this was also originally on Kennedy street, N. W. (near the Alpine where Link Wray would play...) Their $30 sundae was the Lincoln Memorial which in the late '50's (when I and 25 or 30 others had it when we were in elementary school) is a memory that doesn't really seem that distant. Weile's was on University Blvd. in a strip shopping center a few blocks up from Leonie's. (Which, along with Jimmy Comber's had pizza that tried to compete with the original Ledo's.) My first Mighty Mo was at the Hot Shoppes up the street. On New Hampshire Avenue, a block or so behind Weile's was Smitty's/later Emory's BBQ. Eventually it became a car wash. But in the '50's they had fantastic ribs and corn bread. I remember ice cold Coca Cola in bottles with smoke from the pit IN the dining room. Years later I found a landmark place in Tuscaloosa, AL called the Dreamland Drive Inn that was similar but the original Emory's would have gone one-on-one with it.

If I mentioned "pipeline" (i.e. dialing 4-4-4 or 6-6-6 and hearing a whining sound with intermittent silence) would you know what I am talking about?

Do you mean the Silver Spring Charcoal House several doors down from the Drug Fair?

The Luau Hut on Ramsay Avenue wasn't quite as good as the Blue Hawaii on Fairmont Avenue in Bethesda which had very "private" booths with beaded curtains... Poo Poo Platters were probably the same, the Blue Hawaii was just darker. I went there with "dates" that I met on "pipeline..."

One day I'll write an essay about my "pipeline" experiences. Today, several are probably grandmothers.

you guys are killing me...pupu, not poo poo. That would be more along the lines of "S.O.S.*" :mellow:

*that would be sh*t on a shingle , for the unitiated.

For some the ancestry of Lafite and Petrus was a pupu platter spelled poo poo after several Scorpions and a Zombie or two. Growing up in the suburbs a date where brownie points were intended to be scored involved a trip to the Junkanoo near Dupont Circle instead of the Luau Hut or Blue Hawaii. Trader Vics was for parents and grandparents.

DCist (and a number of other blogs) is reporting Ireland's Four Fields is closing on November 5. I have fond memories of watching Paddy Reilly play there years ago, and absolutely no memories of the food.

I got really drunk there toasting George Bush's health on election night 1988.

But I can't remember the last time I was there...maybe 10 years ago after a movie???