Happy Birthday DonRockwell.com

Scott Johnston

I cannot believe it has only been a year!

I am in the process of findng a place for a happy hour on April 21st. Stay tuned for details.

(I put it off a week because the 14th is Good Friday, during Passover and Spring Break for most local school districts. If this is a problem please let me know)

It's been a spectacular year one for DR.com. From Segways to vegetarians to some truly memorable meals, I think that this community is off to a great start.

I think back to the eG events policy that really pushed this baby into the world and oddly I mainly think of one (repeated line) from one post that pretty well sums up the spirit of many of the people here -- "Go piss up a rope" <_<

Thanks Don!

PS - That thread is long gone, but if anyone saved it, I'd love to read it again, there were many many classic posts on it.

If everyone who is in registration limbo responds to the membership email we could be OVER 1,000 by our 1st anniversary. Right now we are at 967.

We will officially celebrate the first anniversary of DonRockwell.com at Circle Bistro on Friday, April 21st. I will post a reminder as the date draws near. I hope you will come out and celebrate with us.

If everyone who is in registration limbo responds to the membership email we could be OVER 1,000 by our 1st anniversary.  Right now we are at 967.

We will officially celebrate the first anniversary of DonRockwell.com at Circle Bistro on Friday, April 21st.  I will post a reminder as the date draws near.  I hope you will come out and celebrate with us.

Hopefully we can fill the bar!

I will not be near a computer on our first anniversary so I thought I would go ahead and post my birthday message a little early. Forgive me if it is scattered but it is early in the morning and I have a plane to catch.

DonRockwell.com first became more than just an idea in Don's head during a walk taken in mid to late March. It was the first Spring like day that indicated the drudgery of winter would soon be gone. We talked about the loss of a place for everyone to gather together, online and off. He knew we needed a new home and wanted to provide it. 975 members was beyond anything anyone had even dared to think about. Nobody ever expected the board to grow into what it has become.

My sanity is often questioned while I am organizing different events. While they tend to fall during some crazy times at work, and add a different level of stress, organizing these events for you helps keep me sane. They help remind me that there are good people in the world, who do appreciate what I do for them. I have learned more during the past year while organizing the different events than I ever imagined.

I can only imagine what you lurkers and guests must think about us. Frankly, if I didn't know who we are I would question the sanity and sociability level of these posters. What I hope you will come to learn is that when we gather off line, without a computer around us, there is a real sense of community among us. We have become a group of random people who know and enjoy the pleasures of great food and wine.

It has been a brilliant first year and I thank you, my dining group <_< , for all the time you have taken away from your off line life to join the community. Don, here's to finally having a good meal together instead of one that is engh. Thank you for everything.

Happy Anniversary.

Happy 1st Anniversary DonRockwell.com!

I won't be in town for the HH ;) but, as I've said elsewhere, being a part of this on- and offline community has been so much more than I could ever have imagined! I've made many new friends, eaten some places I wouldn't have found on my own, and learned about all sorts of new foods, cooking techniques, and various other fun stuff. (Heck, I even get to put my rusty French to use once in a while)

Thanks to all of you for making this such a wonderful place to 'hang out' :)

And a very special, heartfelt thanks to Don! You may not fully appreciate what so many of us get out of this 'place' - but the truth is that we wouldn't have the opportunity to do it if you hadn't made it possible. So THANK YOU very much for all the time, energy, and love that you put into this forum. It means a lot <_<

Thanks, Don for setting up a place for us to play and letting us play once we got here. The whole point of all this is to have fun. Some people might not get that, but you did.

And with the help of Hillvalley and every (or almost every) member on here you've made this a fun place to be for the last year.

Here's to more fun in Year 2.

I'm member number 239 of the old site. I joined nine days after the site founders, almost five years ago--over two years before Don himself. I have 269 posts on that site. This is my 527th in one year on this site. There's a reason for that. Thanks everyone. Many happy returns.

Thanks Don And Hill

You have created a great community of individuals that never ceases to amaze me with its talent and insight to many things which all of us hold in common [damnit can't link to that effing cowbell clip or maybe the Perlow jello mold] and the many things we don't [cue DNC or RNC Convention footage here] not to mention fine food and beverages.

Thank you for your ambition and tireless attention to creating a very special and real place in the virtual reality that has and continues to change our way of seeing ourselves, each other and those that wear (by choice or circumstance) different shoes (or Segways) or tastebuds.

When membership hit 200 Don started thinking big. "Do you think we could hit 500? Maybe 1000 in a couple of years? Do you think that's possible?" he asked.

Yes my dear, it was possible, and it only took 372 days to get there. Congratulations.

Our 1000th member was just validated. Check out the pic below

post-19-1145570447_thumb.jpg

Edited by hillvalley

OK, could some computer nerd 'splain this to me:  I noticed modthinglet's first posting today (on the Bialy) thread, and it shows him/her as member #1329.  My eyes kinda bugged out when I saw that.

My best guess is that, before we actually hit 1000 members, about 328 people signed up and later left (with or without management's assistance). So, while modthinglet was the 1329th person to join the list, her/his membership was the one that brought us to 1000 members all at once.

You've got it Scottee. 1329 registered to become members but 329 of them never had their membership validated so they never become validated, activated members.

We now have 1000 people who have the ability to post and use all the member functions, regardless of their membership number.

[Yes, but...

the number of members may hold steady or even drop a bit. I haven't worked out the specifics (translation: I haven't had time to think about it), but starting soon, inactive members will be pruned monthly. It won't take much to be considered "active" - just signing on once every six months or posting once a year (or some similar variation) will be adequate.

Why do this? Just to make sure the community is alive. If you haven't signed on in a long time, and you've forgotten your password, just ping me and I'll reset it for you. Cheers, Rocks.]

Now we need to change the thread to read "two"

This means we are now in the terrible two's!

the board continues to amaze and entertain me!

Happy Birthday to Everyone!

I may be off on this, but looking at member #2 dates joined, I see it is April 13, 2005. Let me be the first to congratulate you (Don) on a job well done! This board continues to expand my friendships, palate, cooking skills and my waistline.

Cheers

Scott

Now we need to change the thread to read "two"

This means we are now in the terrible two's!

the board continues to amaze and entertain me!

Happy Birthday to Everyone!

Sounds like we need to have a birthday party next week (Maybe Thursday the 12th), Do I hear any HH suggestions for that night.

Sounds like we need to have a birthday party next week (Maybe Thursday the 12th), Do I hear any HH suggestions for that night.
I'd be happy to coordinate one with The Reef if people were interested. I'm happy to help out as much as some would like for this.

Ummmm, xcanuck?

Check this previously posted message.

Oh, I guess the baseball metaphors in my post didn't imply strongly enough that I was the designated hitter. :blink:

I await cracks about steroids, my wooden bat, and all the bases on balls I get.

Oh, I guess the baseball metaphors in my post didn't imply strongly enough that I was the designated hitter. ;)

I await cracks about steroids, my wooden bat, and all the bases on balls I get.

Given the day I've had you need to be as obvious as possible.

PS - if you're on roids, I'd think about asking for your money back. They're obviously duds.

PPS - Designated hitter = too old to play a useful role on the team

Good enough?

:blink:

You know what you have done? You have created a community--a place for support, comfort and fun! Let’s not forget all the good days of breaking bread together it brings--THANK YOU!

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY DONROCKWELL.COM

Cheers!

And anyone (and I mean ANYONE) who whispers sweet nothings in Don's ear in French, gets to keep him for the evening!!! Any takers? :blink:
"Le vetement est toujours implicitement concu comme le signifiant particulier d'un signifié général qui lui est extérieur (époque, pays, classe sociale)..." comme Barthes écrit, mon petit chou-chou.