mdt

Komi, 17th & P Streets NW, 2013 James Beard Award Winning Chef Johnny Monis Rocks East Dupont - Tipping Eliminated on Sep 7, 2017 for 20% Pre-Tax Service Charge

Had to start a thread on the wonderful world of Komi! tongue.gif

------------------------------------------------------------------

A group of us went out for the tasting menu last night along with the wine pairing. While things started off a little slowly for some of the hungrier in the group it finished (many hours later) with a bang! Sebastian was a wonderful host, introducing each wine course with a description of the wine and why he chose it. He made some interesting and delicious choices, like a sweet moscato with the carpaccio of tuna and a hefeweizen with the charcuterie plate. I think Sebastain said we went through 7 bottles of wine, but we were certainly not counting! biggrin.gif

Highlights for me included the crackers that so many have talked about. The marinated fluke, an amuse, that was a refreshing bite served on a spoon. The housemade charcuterie (who knew head cheese could taste so good!). This came with a fennel flavored housemade mustard that was a wonderful combination. The milk poached veal tenderloin, which was served with a piece of their homemade pancetta that was absolutely amazing (Jacques Gastreaux was actaully moved when he tried it).

Clearly Chef Monis is having a great time in the kitchen and it shows in his work.

Here is the full menu:

BARRON POINT OYSTER
caviar, Greek yogurt, pomegranate vinegar

MARINATED FLUKE
capers, lemon, first pressed Petrinas olive oil

DIVER SCALLOP
fennel, olive, dates

PASTRAMI OF WILD KING SALMON
pinenut, red wine mustard, quail egg

CELERY ROOT & MARCONA ALMOND SOUP
25 year balsamic

CARPACCIO OF BLUEFIN TUNA & FOIE GRAS
chive, sea salt, quince citronette

HOUSEMADE CHARCUTERIE
porchetta, salumi, headcheese, pate, housemade mustard

SPECK WRAPPED WHITE TUNA
farro, sweet-sour squash, truffled beet tzatziki

CHIAN CHESTNUT PASTA
braised lamb's tongue, teleggio

MILK POACHED VEAL TENDERLOIN
housemade pancetta, brussel sprout, apple, vincotto

SELECTION OF CHEESE
a selection of 10 cheeses that I wish I wrote down.

FLIGHT OF DESSERTS
skewer of pineapple and puff pastry, donut with chocolate marscapone cream, and devils food cake with ancho (?) chile cream

COOKIES & CONFECTIONS
lemon coriander, passion fruit gelee, amaretti, corn bread cookie with pomegranate cream

LOLLIPOP
ice tea and lemon

Dropped in last Friday to have an amazing meal as always. The details are now fuzzy in my mind on account of too much wine, but here are the standouts:

- Amuse of panna cotta topped with a coddled egg topped with a dollop of caviar. One thing that Chef Monis does so well is come up with unexpected combos of ingredients that work together in an amazing fashion.

- Baby goat mousaka w/polenta. When I described this dish to boys at Bis, they grew misty-eyed, and said with a sigh, "no one cooks that any more." Can't recall a more comforting, tender, mellow dish in months.

- Speck-wrapped tuna never disappoints. One thing about Komi is how side dishes are the stars as much as the protein. Egyptian king farro with truffled beet tsatsiki shines on its own.

- Desserts too numerous to call...oh, dolce de lece gelato...dreamy. Devil chocolate cake with chile (!) ice cream. The flavors are unexpected yet work so well!! They don't have apple crisp with blue cheese ice cream anymore, but as I recall, it blew my mind in a similar way.

The fabulous Sebastian was off that night, and please meet Anna, the lovely, sunny waitress who manages the dining room two days a week (I think.) Anna has more poise and warmth than any person her age should be allowed to have and made our evening a delight. Along with Johnny's fantastic food, of course.

Washington, DC: What are your views on "blog" food sites? Do you think some of the posters are getting a little carried away with their views/oppinions? Just from experience they seem very one-sided.

Tom Sietsema: It really depends on who is doing the blogging.

Speaking of online food discussions, Don Rockwell, a former egullet host, has just launched a fun one: DonRockwell.com. Don is a fine writer, has good taste and eats out almost as much as I do. If you care about food in Washington, his is a site to monitor.

nc09rt.gifnc09rt.gifnc09rt.gif

http://discuss.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/z...tsema042005.htm

Washington, DC: What are your views on "blog" food sites? Do you think some of the posters are getting a little carried away with their views/oppinions? Just from experience they seem very one-sided.

Tom Sietsema: It really depends on who is doing the blogging.

Speaking of online food discussions, Don Rockwell, a former egullet host, has just launched a fun one: DonRockwell.com. Don is a fine writer, has good taste and eats out almost as much as I do. If you care about food in Washington, his is a site to monitor.

nc09rt.gifnc09rt.gifnc09rt.gif

http://discuss.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/z...tsema042005.htm

36 Guests on the forum as we speak...

Already 7 new registrations.

resisting wise-ass comment urge...

resisting...

resisting...

(whew, that was close)

I had a very good dinner at Komi last night. It started well with an amuse of roasted eggplant and Greek yogurt served with melt in your mouth crackers. We were told the moussaka was unavailable as it was still being prepared. It was around 7:15 at that point and I found this odd. And disappointing because I wanted to try it. Next time. I skipped an appetizer because they seemed too heavy to me (at least my options and I admit to being something of a picky eater). I ordered the tea smoked pork served with huckleberry sauce (on the side -- nice touch since this struck me as something easily being a personal preference about amount kind of thing). The pork was very tasty but somewhat dry and I was glad for the sauce. The sweet-tart-smoky contrast worked well. I would get this again but ask for it to get less fire. It was accompanied by some brussel sprouts cooked with apples and bacon that went well with the smokiness of the pork. My companion ordered what was billed as a king salmon with langostine and cockles. Since I don't eat seafood, I couldn't groundtruth his assessment which was OK. When our waitress brought his plate and ran through the ingredients she said it was Atlantic salmon. The difference didn't click for either of us until after we'd left so we didn't get to ask if that was just a slip. It had the brighter color you expect from wild salmon but with the various natural supplements they feed the farmed stuff these days I'm not sure I'd go by that.

I thought the simple space had a nice feel and even with tables close together they did an excellent job of spacing people out so that no one felt too close for too long. I'm not sure how I'd feel during a more crowded night. The service was well executed.

Super! Lets make this the DC discussion Egullet WAS. EG is still great for asking about out of town restaurants, food info, wine reviews and cooking classes but the LOVE is gone.

Super!  Lets make this the DC discussion Egullet WAS.  EG is still great for asking about out of town restaurants, food info, wine reviews and cooking classes but the LOVE is gone.

I agree Mark. An integral part of cooking and eating is getting together with others. eG is not the place to accomplish that.

[All,

please do NOT raid eGullet. I have nothing but good feelings towards them, and consider this site to be eGullet-friendly (Chowhound-friendly as well). If this place is worth its salt, people will find it eventually. Cheers, and thanks! Rocks.]

I hear you Don and I know this post may make you feel uncomfortable. I have decided to remove mine. Lets keep our converstions in the usual back channels folks.

[All,

please do NOT raid eGullet.  I have nothing but good feelings towards them, and consider this site to be eGullet-friendly (Chowhound-friendly as well).  If this place is worth its salt, people will find it eventually.  Cheers, and thanks!  Rocks.]

[All,

please do NOT raid eGullet.  I have nothing but good feelings towards them, and consider this site to be eGullet-friendly (Chowhound-friendly as well).  If this place is worth its salt, people will find it eventually.  Cheers, and thanks!  Rocks.]

I intend to stick around eGullet too. It's still my go-to site for cooking. That said, there are a lot of users there that would enjoy it here too. We're just talking about how to get the word out without breaking the rules over there.

Mr B is forbidden, right?

I too will go to EG for other topics. But they killed the DC fourm and perhaps many others

I just got the word that busboy will be working for the other team,

I'm sure he will be with us in spirit.

Yeah, but I don't think that rule covers Mrs Busboy. :lol:

EXCELLENT!!! NINJA SMILIE!!

Yeah, but I don't think that rule covers Mrs Busboy. :lol:

EXCELLENT!!! NINJA SMILIE!!

The estimable Mrs. B is already here. ;)

I'm not sure how I'd feel during a more crowded night.

I'm one who HATES feeling crowded and even sitting in the middle of the room on a crowded Friday a few months ago, I was perfectly happy.

Of course the food and cheese and wine all had a little to do with that. Especcially that cheese plate (or should I say platter?).

I just got the word that busboy will be working for the other team,

Yeah, that was announced Friday at Corduroy. Must have been after you left.

The board is really blowing up! Congrads, Rocks! :lol: