Happy Hour for Newbies and Lurkers (and “Regulars” Too)

xcanuck

I’m getting sick and tired of all of those dr.com “regulars” having all of the fun; what with all their happy hours at places like Firefly and Corduroy. As somewhat of a “newbie,” I kept asking myself "self, maybe they really don't bite - why don't you go?" But self did not go because self didn't want to feel like an outsider looking in. So then I says to my self, “self, why don’t I try to organize a happy hour specially for newbies and lurkers where everyone will feel equally uncomfortable because no one would know one another.”

So, here goes. I declare a happy hour at Restaurant Kolumbia for tomorrow evening (Friday, September 22) at about 5:30. It’s at 1801 K Street, so it should be fairly convenient for those who work in the downtown area and it’s close to the Farragut West Metro. The chef is a guy named Jamie Stachowski and he has agreed to do some special things for us.

Who else is in?

Oh yeah, and “regulars” are welcome too (we don’t bite).

The chef is a guy named Jamie Stachowski and he has agreed to do some special things for us.

Did he say anything in particular? Or should we just leave it a mystery? Also, anybody know how their beer selection and/or happy hour deals are?

The Kolumbia thread, for others like me, who had to look it up.

Regardless of the answers to above questions, I'm gonna try to turn up.

I’m getting sick and tired of all of those dr.com “regulars” having all of the fun; what with all their happy The chef is a guy named Jamie Stachowski and he has agreed to do some special things for us.
Beef on Weck? If so I'm in! Even not I might be in.

We will definitely do another "newbie" HH so that those who are celebrating Rosh Hashanah tomorrow night will be able to join in.

While I should be doing something for Rosh Hashanah tomorrow night, the nice part of being in a very small congregation is that we're only doing services on Saturday morning. :)

So I should be able to swing by for a drink and some food after work tomorrow.

New tradition? We have been having HH forever and newbies have always been welcome. I can assure you that there will be some HHing going on the 29th! :)

I know. I know. But this one is a little different. I attended my first dr.com HH in July 2005, and I am happy to say that I was warmly welcomed by everyone. In fact, three complete dr.com strangers invited me to stay and join them for dinner. What a community!

I know. I know. But this one is a little different. I attended my first dr.com HH in July 2005, and I am happy to say that I was warmly welcomed by everyone. In fact, three complete dr.com strangers invited me to stay and join them for dinner. What a community!

Cool, just wanted to remind folks that everyone is always (has always been) welcome to HH. I for one will be sure to note that in future messages.

I may be something of a quasi-regular on the boards, but I'm DEFINETELY a noob when it comes to DR outtings.

I can tell any concerned newbies or lurkers, though, that the regulars aren't nearly as intimidating or imposing as they seem on-line (although Jacques Gastreaux DOES bear more than a passing resemblance to 007), and that you'd be a complete moron not to attend.

I, however, AM a complete moron, and due to certain wedding planning constraints will be unable to attend. After October 15th, though... look out, DC.

This is an awesome idea, and if you have the means I highly suggest taking it up!

Hello, Chef Jamie Stachowski here,

I welcome Newbies, Lurkers and "Regulars" Too!

Join me tomorrow evening during Happy Hour when I will feature:

WINE SPECIAL - $5 per glass

Chateau de Fregent Bordeaux 2004

(provided by Ed Addiss of Wine Traditions)

Mas Neuf Rose 2005

(provided by Kysela Pere Et Fils, LTD)

==========

Oh, and of course!

Come taste my "Chef Stachowski" Brand Charcuturie.

It is prepared all in-house!

I will provide, "gratis", butcher's board presentations of:

Venison Pepperoni

Fresh Kielbasa

Duck Salami

Boudin Rouge

And if you tell me you like my new haircut, I will throw in more of my charcuterie inspirations!

Looking Forward to the Happy Hour,

Chef Jamie!

(although Jacques Gastreaux DOES bear more than a passing resemblance to 007)
What the heck have you been smokin', son? :)
Thanks for having us, Chef.

I, for one, plan to attend. Just look for the shirt.

I wish I could drag my shy ass, and the shy ass of my wife, to this. But we're tied to a 7-week-old right now, who isn't really up for it. I hope for another opportunity in a couple months, when the boy can focus on faces more than three feet away and track moving objects (like venison pepperoni being conveyed into my mouth).

---snip snip snip---

Venison Pepperoni

Fresh Kielbasa

Duck Salami

Boudin Rouge

---snip snip snip---

Boudin rouge? BOUDIN ROUGE?????

All I can say is everyone better get there early because I will be monopolizing that part of the charcuterie. Boudin noir is one of my absolute favorite meals of all time, and I've never experienced boudin rouge.

Look forward to seeing everyone there. This is one hell of a way to end the week.

I had to cancel on the first DR event I'd planned on attending (Corduroy dinner this spring) due to a broken rib. I can't attend this one due to a broken leg.

For the sake of my health, it looks like I'll have to become a staunch nonparticipant in DR-related revelry. :)

I wish I could drag my shy ass, and the shy ass of my wife, to this. But we're tied to a 7-week-old right now, who isn't really up for it. I hope for another opportunity in a couple months, when the boy can focus on faces more than three feet away and track moving objects (like venison pepperoni being conveyed into my mouth).

I too, am salivating at the prospect of all that charcuterie but am also knee deep in diapers so will have to skip this one.

I had to cancel on the first DR event I'd planned on attending (Corduroy dinner this spring) due to a broken rib. I can't attend this one due to a broken leg.

For the sake of my health, it looks like I'll have to become a staunch nonparticipant in DR-related revelry. :)

:)

PS - for the newbys, I've been known occasionally to bring Peanut to happy hours.

PPS - Peanut is the adorable creature in the Lilly Pulitzer sun dress to the left.

I'll be stopping by tonight -- for my first dr.com happy hour -- but I may be a little late. I was going to decline (too much to do, trying to do something for the holiday, trying to get my car inspected (apparently a new part of my holiday tradition) and a variety of other things) but I need this happy hour. I just found out that even though I've been at this job for less than 2 months, I have to have a performance review at 4:00 today. So, drink up before I get there. I suspect I'll be monopolizing the drinks.

So far we have the following:

xcanuck

EricOx

ferment everything (maybe)

jm chen (maybe later)

agm

Mrs B (maybe)

Monique DC

DanielK (maybe)

Heather (maybe)

bioesq (maybe)

JPW

cucas87

jparrott

Looking like seven definites and six maybes. Should be alot of fun. See y'all there in about an hour!!

Medium-sized crowd--xcanuck, agm, NotQuickDraw, DanielK, cucas87, CrescentFresh, Black Sheep, JPW, Monique DC, Xochitl, myself. Brilliant charcuterie and refreshing Hook-and-Ladders! Supplemental happy hour at PS7's was well fooded and wined and then I offed to the obligatory Corduroy nightcap (with special guest Kats Fukushima!)

Medium-sized crowd--xcanuck, agm, NotQuickDraw, DanielK, cucas87, CrescentFresh, Black Sheep, JPW, Monique DC, Xochitl, myself. Brilliant charcuterie and refreshing Hook-and-Ladders! Supplemental happy hour at PS7's was well fooded and wined and then I offed to the obligatory Corduroy nightcap (with special guest Kats Fukushima!)

and me!

the charcuterie was great (kielbasa!), and PS7's bar menu was excellent (soup shooters! donuts! foie gras!).

I thought I'd throw in a little nostalgia for the newbies and lurkers as to precisely the moment in time that many (not all) of the "current" regulars got to know one another. Our own JLK, under the auspices of JennyUptown, on eGullet, declared an event at Sette Osteria a couple of years ago. The event is chronicled here. But my memories of the event are vivid. Virtually no one knew one another and we had to give a description of what we were wearing so people would who we were. I was very apprehensive of meeting people from the "Internet" and was prepared to bail at the first sighting of someone "weird." I recall standing at the bar and this guy kind of saunters up and asks me if I'm with the eGullet group. I say "yes," and introduced myself to DCMark. I also met Busboy (waitman), Hillvalley, al dente, JennyUptown, (JLK), Babka, bilrus, I think JPW was there, and the rest is history. We became such a cohesive group that the powers that be at eGullet became jealous of our socializing and basically banned socializing, which led to donrockwell.com.

We owe it all to JLK.

The moral of the story is that I sucked it up and went, despite my inner warning signals. The signals were for naught.

Then there was the eGullet dinner at Colorado Kitchen where I met the likes of Nadya, Tweaked, Stretch and mdt. I remember the pre-dinner HH at Firefly. I volunteered to drive a group to the dinner and wound up with mdt, stretch and al dente in the car. Al dente had a bad back and had to ride in the front seat relegating mdt and Stretch (both 6' 5"+) to the back seat. Stretch, who lived close to Colorado Kitchen, volunteered to allow me, mdt, and tweaked to come back to his house to smoke cigars (after determining that his wife, pregnant with their first child, was asleep and thus would not object). We proceeded to drink all of Stretch's single malt scotch whilst smoking the cigars. At 6' 3" tall, I was the shortest of the bunch.

The point is, you never know who you might meet at one of these events. I will not guarantee that you will like everyone. What I can promise is that you will meet a lot of people who share a love of good food and drink and you will enjoy meeting most of them. There is nothing to be afraid of and if you don't like the scene, there is nothing that obligates your to show up for another event. 'Nuf said.

the charcuterie was great (kielbasa!)
Yeah, I'd like to order about 20lbs of that Kielbasa for the freezer. You never know when you need it. Blood sausage and venison pepperoni also great, washed down with the ever-reliable Mas Neuf rose and a few Hook-and-Ladder pales. $5 parking in the garage at the back of the block lessens the difficulty for us bridge-and-tunnel types as well.

Most important thing learned at the happy hour: that amazing kielbasa is available for lunch at the bar for $9, including fries.

I can't go today, but anyone up for lunch tomorrow?

I might be able to make a lunch tomorrow.

And, I looked over that charcuterie platter again, I didn't read it closely enough the first time through. Sh#t, the pepperoni is made with venison, the salami is made with duck, the sausage is Polish and the boudin is rouge as opposed to blanc or noir, screw the newbies and the lurkers, I've got to check this out for myself.

First and foremost, I had a GREAT time meeting so many people from DR.com. I only got to meet about half the crowd before I had to leave (I had dinner reservations at RTC) but everyone I met was really nice! And woulda thought that I'm meet other hockey-obsessed foodies?? That made my night. Looking forward to meeting more at the DR.com picnic!

I have to admit that full disclosure is warranted. This wasn't my idea. One of the more senior members of the board made all the arrangements and I was the "stooge" (as DonRocks put it!) who fronted the whole thing. The guilty party can step forward if he/she wishes to or just bask in the glory of the event in anonymity.

I had to leave before the charcuterie board made it's way out - I was SO jonesing for some of that Boudin Rouge. Luckily the restaurant is close to where my wife has her Thurs night class so I can see myself waiting for her at the bar and chowing down. The menu looked great!

Again, it was so nice to meet some of the gang and hope to see more at the picnic. And thanks to He/She Who Shall Remain Nameless for putting the event together.