Bebo Trattoria, Chef Claudio Sandri in Crystal City - Closed.

• Replies 612
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

When my dad talked to him at a charity event a while ago, he was very standoffish and pretty much alluded to the fact that the reopening wasn't going to happen. Then again, things could have changed since then.

If you go by the old location it does not look like they have done any work turning it back into a restaurant.

May I add yet one more voice to the disenchantment chorus?

To sum it up, our recent meal is in tune with the litany of complaints posted above: lousy service, mediocre food, unreasonable prices for the product presented, unavailable menu choices (is there a cash flow problem with vendors?) and a startling empty dining room.

Put a fork in this stinker - its over. Don't see how Bebo can survive with such a poor reputation (reinforced by the overwhelming negative sentiment of posters here and on Tom S.' WaPo chat) and the sagging NoVa restaurant economy. Could this simply be a matter of Roberto's attitude that somehow motivates his staff to act in such an unprofessional and arrogant manner? How else to rationalize the chorus of complaints about the absence of hospitality and professionalism at Galileo and now Crystal City if not a serious management problem at the top?

Far too many dining options offering a far more pleasanter and thoughtful experience than this disaster.

May I add yet one more voice to the disenchantment chorus?

To sum it up, our recent meal is in tune with the litany of complaints posted above: lousy service, mediocre food, unreasonable prices for the product presented, unavailable menu choices (is there a cash flow problem with vendors?) and a startling empty dining room.

And here's an opposing data point. At 8 PM last night, both Roberto and Claudio were at the the restaurant, Roberto making pasta, and Claudio manning the pizza oven (which I hear he's been doing a lot of lately). The restaurant had about 30-40 customers, and the service was adequate.

The wine list here is still good, and while $30 is a lot for a table wine, the 2006 Friulivini (a co-op) Merlot was pleasant with food. I didn't care much for the Cesare ($9.50), which was vertically arranged in an apparent nod to Michel Richard - the enormous leaves of romaine were virtually undressed, and the cylinder was made with sliced bread in the form of croutons, essentially leaving the diner to chop and dress his own salad. It was a nice-looking presentation, but I don't want to be chopping and dressing my own Caesar in a trattoria.

The portions have gotten smaller, and the presentations have changed a bit, but there was no doubting the quality of what was on the plate. Fettucini Bolognese ($18.95) was no larger than a half-portion of pasta at Tosca or Spezie, but it was fabulous, with perfectly cooked homemade noodles in a fantastic, rich Bolognese sauce. "I'd rather it be small and good, than large and bad," is what I remember saying.

The expensive Cannelloni ($16.95 for two thin cylinders) should have been served hotter, but it was every bit as good as the Fettucini, and one of the more refined versions I've had - I think it had some mascarpone cream in it although I'm not certain. And the pizza! A Napoletana ($15.50) was straight out of the "good old days" at Bebo, with Claudio making a pie that was just about perfect. All three dishes were so good that I'll happily return.

We'd ordered a nutella pizza for dessert ($9.00), and unfortunately when the servers came back over to say it was 86'd, I had a huge wine cork inside my mouth (don't ask). They began apologizing and asking if we'd like something else, and all I was trying to do was keep my composure, manipulating the cork so that they didn't see it, and making vague symbols asking for the check. I was in no position to speak at that moment.

'Are you sure?' they said. 'The <such-and-such> is really good this evening, and ...' All I could do was wish that these well-meaning, helpful people would walk away from the table so I could spit out the cork. When I finally did, my table began laughing, now knowing why I was mute and in pantomine.

So the check did arrive, and now that I'm looking at it the next day, I see that the bill for the nutella pizza is still on it! Serves me right for being a clown.

Chalk up a good night for Bebo, and hey! You guys owe me a glass of wine!

Cheers,

Rocks.

And here's an opposing data point. At 8 PM last night, both Roberto and Claudio were at the the restaurant, Roberto making pasta, and Claudio manning the pizza oven (which I hear he's been doing a lot of lately).

'Are you sure?' they said. 'The <such-and-such> is really good this evening, and ...' All I could do was wish that these well-meaning, helpful people would walk away from the table so I could spit out the cork. When I finally did, my table began laughing, now knowing why I was mute and in pantomine.

"That famous food critic, Don Rockwell is here!"

"Which one is he?"

"The putz with the cork in his month"

"Pretend you don't notice!"

Wehad lunch at Bebo..yesterday...diito rocks on Pizza, the artichoke pizza was the best we have had at Bebo...perfectly fine linguini pomodoro also and a really good Italian custard with bourbon/fig sauce for dessert...servic at the bar was excellent amd RD was in good spirits

Last night Bebo was featuring a new 3 course fix price ($34.95) with an appetizer of cold thin sliced Pork topped with Tonnato sauce, Risotto with Shrimp and Marscapone cheese and a thick cut Pork tenderloin wrapped with bacon and sided with Port wine sauce and a small serving of polenta...all were very good-to-excellent with the risotto being a particular highlight..we split the dinner, added a fine Marinara pizza and a new $7 wine flight they are featuring. The pork loin was done medium and was very tender and moist..Claudio has brought a nice consistency to the kitchen lately and plans to add future specials to the regular menu....they evidently did record business the night before the Marine Corps marathon and seemed to being doing well last night (we ate very early) as we left. No this isn't Galileo but the service was very good at the bar and this place seems to be maturing into a fine neighborhood restaurant at this point in time...it does seem to be flying "under the radar" after all of the expectations, service issues, etc., but it is one of our local favorites and always delivers to our expectations...in the early 90's we were always more fans of I Matti than Galileo anyway.

Well perhaps shuttering that location would not be such a bad thing. It was fairly empty, pizza oven was broken, selections were limited, and service expectedly poor, including a complete mix up of an order. I hate when a waiter gets an order completely wrong but try and make you feel like it is your fault they made a mistake. One of the worst caesar salads I have had (and how hard is that really....) - no flavor at all, of any kind, just a very watery spritz of dressing with no distinct note of garlic, anchovy or parmesean. The hangar steak was fine, but served with completely uninteresting and bland vegetables, including what appeared to be under-ripe plum tomatoes. It was a disappointment.

Last night Bebo was featuring a new 3 course fix price ($34.95) with an appetizer of cold thin sliced Pork topped with Tonnato sauce, Risotto with Shrimp and Marscapone cheese and a thick cut Pork tenderloin wrapped with bacon and sided with Port wine sauce and a small serving of polenta...all were very good-to-excellent with the risotto being a particular highlight..we split the dinner, added a fine Marinara pizza and a new $7 wine flight they are featuring. The pork loin was done medium and was very tender and moist..Claudio has brought a nice consistency to the kitchen lately and plans to add future specials to the regular menu....they evidently did record business the night before the Marine Corps marathon and seemed to being doing well last night (we ate very early) as we left. No this isn't Galileo but the service was very good at the bar and this place seems to be maturing into a fine neighborhood restaurant at this point in time...it does seem to be flying "under the radar" after all of the expectations, service issues, etc., but it is one of our local favorites and always delivers to our expectations...in the early 90's we were always more fans of I Matti than Galileo anyway.

I think we are talking here about a different Bebo Trattoria or, what sounds more accurate to me, you are really trying so hard to improve Bebo's image, maybe bc you work there, I do not see another explanation.

This place is just bad, a complete madness. Food can be good sometimes, but expensive for a trattoria. There are no busboys, no food runners, and no servers, and the chef is running the kitchen and cooking all by himself.

There is no silverware, no bread and no parmesan cheese, and the bottle of olive oil was just a bad refill of a kind of cooking oil, and please do not give me that excuse given by the host/manager/server or whatever he was about the real Italian Trattorias with casual environment where your meal do not include these features, remember this is America, and, by the way, that answer was just rude.

About the broken oven, lucky those that did not have the chance to try the pizza. Just a soggy tasteless dough with tomato sauce and little pieces of something that looked like mozzarella.

I think we are talking here about a different Bebo Trattoria or, what sounds more accurate to me, you are really trying so hard to improve Bebo's image, maybe bc you work there, I do not see another explanation.

This place is just bad, a complete madness. Food can be good sometimes, but expensive for a trattoria. There are no busboys, no food runners, and no servers, and the chef is running the kitchen and cooking all by himself.

There is no silverware, no bread and no parmesan cheese, and the bottle of olive oil was just a bad refill of a kind of cooking oil, and please do not give me that excuse given by the host/manager/server or whatever he was about the real Italian Trattorias with casual environment where your meal do not include these features, remember this is America, and, by the way, that answer was just rude.

About the broken oven, lucky those that did not have the chance to try the pizza. Just a soggy tasteless dough with tomato sauce and little pieces of something that looked like mozzarella.

an_axe_to_grind.jpg

[i'm going to call this post into question for three reasons:

1) The validation didn't go smoothly for this member

2) The member's first (and only) post was a trashing

3) Claudio, with your permission, I would like to cut-and-paste the PM you sent me regarding this posting

Although I'm not certain, my instinct tells me there's a non-zero chance that this is a disgruntled ex-employee of Bebo.

I'm not saying the post is "false" or "incorrect," only that it merits further scrutiny. (That having been said, a trusted member here wrote me this morning, and wrote that "our last few meals there have shown a decided lack of energy...I believe the place is in real trouble..back in the late summer/fall, they looked like they were turning things around in all areas..now I am not so sure.")

Cheers,

Rocks.]

[i'm going to call this post into question for three reasons:

Cheers,

Rocks.]

Don, I know that you like most other food board moderators, have a tendency of deleting posts like this, and while I believe that is fair, I think that sometimes it is good to keep them up with the commentary regarding the questionable nature of the posting. I believe that it helps support the validity of the site as not just a hit and run operation, and lets new comers understand the pains that you go through to be fair to both your posters and the restaurants.

new flash sports fans!?! i stopped on sat evening around 10pm and is was pretty much emptied out.the oven apparently is not broken... the new manager of 2 weeks said the "PIZZAIOLO" had a family crisis and will be out for undetermined amount of time... from what i could see, the pizza stationed just looked closed and of course the hearth opening was closed and no burning going on and i couldnt get to inspect the inside

new flash sports fans!?! i stopped on sat evening around 10pm and is was pretty much emptied out.the oven apparently is not broken... the new manager of 2 weeks said the "PIZZAIOLO" had a family crisis and will be out for undetermined amount of time... from what i could see, the pizza stationed just looked closed and of course the hearth opening was closed and no burning going on and i couldnt get to inspect the inside
Gordon Ramsay could bring Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares here. Really.

I suspect there is some good cooking to be found, but it is elusive.

So what is the "rumor" of the new opening? I have defended Bebo on this board in the past, but the past four months or so has seen it really slide in all areas. Its a damn shame that Roberto couldn't focus on this place enough to make it work. His reputation, at least as a businessman, has been really hurt by this misadventure. Some Chowhounders assume the whole deal was a cyncial placeholder until he got his new space nailed down. If that's the case, in these hard economic times, he will have a hard go of it rebuilding his reputation. Hopefully, he is up to the task, but as a CC resident, I am profoundly disappointed in his lack of committment to Bebo. Hopefully the pizza oven will either find a good home or the new place will utilize it well.

Well..CH has been had...walked by Bebo at lunch and the place was open and even half full!! Reports of its demise have been greatly exaggerated. I hope I am wrong on my previous post, but as a loyal patron, I still see a slide to oblivion if things don't turn around for Claudio and Roberto on this enterprise. A lot of good will needs to be relaunched if this place is to survive.

Just in from Chowhound

"DON'T Thank me.....I got REALLY Bad Information and opened my mouth when I shouldn't have......

I can Tell you this.....Bebo is not Closed, but is in a legal fight to keep his doors open. The person whom told me they were closed was ill-informed and didn't know what they were talking about.......Thus....I am an Idiot.

But, the real news is that they aren't doing well at all, and seems likely that they will close soon. I know that Jaleo is doing better since last year, thats from an inside source.

I personally varified with a couple people involved with the Bebo thing...it's real. He is having major money issues."

for some of you I am sorry but BEBO is still open and running, and yes, we have some problems like every other restaurant have in this moment of crisis, the pizza is open only for lunch, is almost 2 months we are close on sundays, and probably some of you are right on the mediocrity of the food, but from when I change the menu, and change the prices" on range of 15-20% less, 3 weeks ago, we increse the sales , now we have 7 different pastas and 3 different risotto.

just a reminder: BEBO is not GALILEO

by the way, thank you so much to TomA and Don for the constant support.

for some of you I am sorry but BEBO is still open and running, and yes, we have some problems like every other restaurant have in this moment of crisis, the pizza is open only for lunch, is almost 2 months we are close on sundays, and probably some of you are right on the mediocrity of the food, but from when I change the menu, and change the prices" on range of 15-20% less, 3 weeks ago, we increse the sales , now we have 7 different pastas and 3 different risotto.

just a reminder: BEBO is not GALILEO

by the way, thank you so much to TomA and Don for the constant support.

I was thinking about this post last night and I kind of felt compelled to respond as someone who previously posted on Bebo. I doubt anyone on this board wanted Bebo to fail, nor did they wish it to be Galileo, but they did want consistent high quality food for a fair price with decent service. These are the hallmarks of any great restaurant. It's clear that Bebo can succeed if it executes correctly, I think we'd all like to see it happen.

I was thinking about this post last night and I kind of felt compelled to respond as someone who previously posted on Bebo. I doubt anyone on this board wanted Bebo to fail, nor did they wish it to be Galileo, but they did want consistent high quality food for a fair price with decent service. These are the hallmarks of any great restaurant. It's clear that Bebo can succeed if it executes correctly, I think we'd all like to see it happen.

thank you very much,

inside bebo we want to do our best, and I do not think the food is so bad, for me is like 35 years of hard work 6 days a week, from 8 am to 11 pm, going in the trash.

so, if all of you really want bebo to succeed, give us a break, hold the breath for a little, dont put your finger on the keybord typing bad abouth bebo and come to visit us in 2 weeks, then we can talk again and if someone have some suggestions we really appeciated.

thank you to every one

thank you very much,

inside bebo we want to do our best, and I do not think the food is so bad, for me is like 35 years of hard work 6 days a week, from 8 am to 11 pm, going in the trash.

so, if all of you really want bebo to succeed, give us a break, hold the breath for a little, dont put your finger on the keybord typing bad abouth bebo and come to visit us in 2 weeks, then we can talk again and if someone have some suggestions we really appeciated.

thank you to every one

Claudio, I do appreciate your posts, but as someone who has had an unpleasant meal at Bebo within the last few months, I do take a little bit of exception to your request about not posting any bad reviews. When I choose a place to dine I am investing limited time and my hard-earned money and want to know that I will be delivered excellent food and a good dining experience, even when a restaurant is going through transition. This blog is a resource to me in making those decisions, so I do want to hear all aspects - the good, the bad and the ugly. As someone who loves, loves, loves to eat out I do not want to see any restaurant fail, but I do want honest assessments of peoples experience. I do wish you luck - but as with any restaurant, you should expect and welcome input from your diners.

and probably some of you are right on the mediocrity of the food
This kind of says it all for me. I spend a retarded amount of time reading about food on the internet and I don't think I've ever seen a chef admit their food was mediocre in a public forum. That's a whole lot worse than anyone else posting a negative report could ever be.