2007 Spring Picnic - June 3rd - Noon - Ft. Hunt Park

crackers

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well alrighty then....bring on the taste challenges, go through our cellars, break out the Frisbees, put me down on the "I can help list"

What's it going to be????? Pigs, Chili, Whole Cows, Fish, Baby Lambs, Palena like chicken cook off, SPAMORAMA, Venison (I will gladly donate the neighborhood deer that eat from my garden), Brisket, Butts, BBQ, Belly Button Lint, Tripe, Duck, Goose, Gold Fish

I say bring it on!

[That's all I'm sayin' for now]

To peruse earlier picnic threads, go here ---> *

Let the games begin!!!

We have somebody working on a bacon tasting! (Yes finally some pork products at a picnic. About time too.) I will let him chime in when he's ready. Feel free to make other suggestions, but if you do, be prepared to be the one to do the organizing.

We will have our first semi-annual Don Rockwell is a Rockstar Tug-of War, mid-afternoon after people have had sufficient time to eat and lubricate. It will pit the left bankers (Virginia) and right bankers (DC and MD) against each other. Twenty people max per team – ten men, ten women, and each team will be allowed to select one person on the other side to boot off the team. I'm looking for team captains to step forward for this pitched battle and assemble teams and name them. No experience necessary. Winning team gets taunting rights and any prize(s) that people want to contribute.

And we plan to conclude before dark with an egg toss for all comers. If enough kids are there, a special kids egg toss will take place along side the so-called adults. So pick a partner and start practicing. If it's raining we will move the venue to the inside of 2 Amys.

I will be keeping a running head count, cucas87 will keep track of what people are bringing to eat and drink, and Goldenticket will be making up people name tags and food name tags. Thank you cucas87 and Goldenticket!

So what are you bringing?

I was going to bring a bucket of wings and a six pack, but I think somebody else beat me to that one. So I will bring a bucket of wings and a twelve pack.

If you are planning to attend the picnic, please let us know! Either in an online post or in a PM to me let us know, and approximately how many people you are bringing (eg. +.5, +1, +2) and I will do a running head count.

And if you already know what you will bring to eat and drink (or even as little as a tentative category), cucas87 will be helping keep all of that straight. More about that from her shortly.

So far we have:

agm +1 (or +2?)

Barbara

clayrae

crackers +1

cucas87

DameEdna

Escoffier

ferment everything +2

Gubeen

Heather +3

hm212

Ilaine (+3?)

Jacques Gastreaux

jm chen +1

JPW +2

legant

melgold

mhberk +1

mktye+1

ol_ironstomach

Pat +1

Raisa +5

Scott Johntson

StephenB

synaesthesia

thistle +3

Tripewriter

tweaked

Walrus

Zoramargolis

We're going to try to keep a running list of what everyone plans to bring to the picnic. So please let me know, either here in the picnic thread or via PM, what you plan to bring. A request: please consider bringing both a food item and something to drink (alcoholic or not, as you prefer; there will be adults and children of all ages at the picnic).

If it is not obvious, let me know (1) under which of the following categories your food contribution will fit; (2) whether it is vegetarian or vegan and (3) whether you consider the item to be "healthy" or otherwise "certified for the fit for summer challenge." A final note: at this point we do not need people to bring paper goods.

General categories:

Appetizers, snacks, finger food

Sides/Salads

Main course

1. meat/fish

2. vegetarian/vegan

Desserts/sweets

Beverages

Misc.

Alright, I hate to go up against the masters, but I make a great NC-style Boston butt (rolls & slaw on the side) & also a pretty good pound cake-please put me down for 3+, & let me know if there's anything else that I could bring-I've been lurking for way too long, it's time to join the crew...Thistle/Linda

CAPITAL AREA FOOD BANK CAN DRIVE

Summer seems to be a harder time for most charities since it's not the "giving season." So I'm going to do a collection of canned food at the picnic for the Capital Area Food Bank. Just bring your goods to the picnic and I'll take care of dropping them off at the collection centers.

There's a most-wanted list of items at http://www.capitalareafoodbank.org/support/donatefood.cfm

Also if you would be more interested in donating money, they have a matching grant where $1 will buy three meals. You can donate online at https://www.capitalareafoodbank.org/donation/donate.cfm We will not be taking collections for this at the picnic. The deadline for matching donations is June 10.

Thanks!

As crackers alluded earlier, there will be an informal bacon tasting plan at the picnic! As your humble bacon czar, I will arrange for there to be a large griddle surface upon which much cured pork belly will be sacrificed, and a LOT of paper towels for draining. The plan is simple:

1. "What kinds of bacon do we have right now?"
  2. Fry small batches of each.
  3. Attempt to drain.
  4. Deploy volunteer tasters.
  5. Repeat.

Past personal experience with bacon parties suggests that it will be impossible to hold cooked bacon for any length of time...it tends to get eaten right away. Besides, you gotta eat it HOT!

What I need people to help with...

We need bacon! Interesting bacon. Tasty bacon. I will be bringing several pounds of bacon from Benton's and Neopol. Bring a small quantity of your favorite to share and compare. Please PM me or post here if you'll be bringing some?

I need a volunteer for close-down, and who can transport and hang on to the griddle and equipment afterwards for a few days, because gubeen and I unfortunately will have to depart the picnic early and head directly to the airport for a business trip :blink:

Cooking bacon will inevitably result in a quantity of bacon grease. If you want some to take home, please bring a suitable container, preferably metal.

See you at the picnic!

We need bacon! Interesting bacon. Tasty bacon. I will be bringing several pounds of bacon from Benton's and Neopol. Bring a small quantity of your favorite to share and compare. Please PM me or post here if you'll be bringing some?
Humble bacon czar, will this be restricted to pork bacon only? :blink: Would turkey bacon be out of place? Presumably, people could tell the difference in terms of fat and texture, but I find that my taste buds think turkey bacon can taste more like ham than pork bacon does (or tastes similar to Canadian bacon, at least).

I, my wife, and my then-two-month-old Charlie had a blast at the last picnic, but it looks unlikely we will make this one. Which is too bad, because now-nine-month-old Charlie really wanted to organize a Formula Taste-Off. Can his formula of choice -- Nestle Good Start -- hold off gourmet, boutique-made soy-based contenders? And can it hold its own against the large production goliaths of the formula world, Enfamil and Similac? I guess we'll never know.

May I have the audacity to point out to all of you to the most recent JPW avatar? It is a picture of his lovely daughter laying an assault with a PLASTIC SPOON on the HEAD of one of the pigs cooked at the last picnic.

Be there or be square. That's all I'm sayin'.

I need a volunteer for close-down, and who can transport and hang on to the griddle and equipment afterwards for a few days, because gubeen and I unfortunately will have to depart the picnic early and head directly to the airport for a business trip :blink:

I will bring some from the Burtonsville Dutch Farmers' Market. How big is the griddle? We could probably shove it in the back of the White Shadow (aka Nutty Buddy's station wagon)

We're at 69.5 +/- so far, and there's still a month to go.

Anybody have a good tug-of-war rope sitting around [under the bed or something] that they could lend us for the afternoon fun and games?

agm +1 (or +2?)

Anna Blume

Barbara

bbq4me +1

cjsadler

clayrae

crackers +4

cucas87

DameEdna

Demvtr +2

Escoffier

ferment everything +2