Pupatella, a Local Neapolitan Pizza Chain Undergoing Expansion

Team,

We have been reading this forum for a long time and found it very helpful in enhancing our dining experience.

Now, me and my partner Enzo Algarme have opened our own food establishment and want to invite you guys to check it out.
Enzo, who is from Naples, Italy, worked in the kitchen of the renown "Il Pizzaiolo del Presidente" (certified by Verace Pizza Napoletana) in Naples, where he learned how to make authentic Neapolitan specialties, which we are now making here, in Arlington, Virginia. Some things, like the Neapolitan Fried Calzone, you can't find anywhere else in this area.
We also make Palle di Riso (crunchy rice balls stuffed with peas, veggie crumble and cheese), Panzarotti - potato croquettes stuffed with mozzarella, Neapolitan-style pizza (we do not have a wood-burning oven, but use the same recipe and the ingredients as pizzerias in Naples).

The food we serve is the authentic Neapolitan STREET food, just like you find on the streets of Naples.
Our food establishment is a STREET CART, not a restaurant, so the prices are more than reasonable.

We have been open for about 1 week in the neighbourhood of Ballston, in Arlington, VA just outside the Metro station, at the corner of Stuart and 9th streets. We are only open Mon-Fri for breakfast and lunch right now, from 8 to 3:30, but soon will be open until 8pm.

Come to give us a shot!

Anastasiya and Enzo

pupatella.com
myspace.com/pupatella1pizza

the_cart_014.jpg

Great call to keep it open until 8PM in the near future, but are there any thoughts on opening earlier for breakfast? I'm not complaining, 8AM seems more than reasonable, but there is a significant amount of people hopping on that metro between 6:30 and 8:00 that would probably love the idea of grabbing a croissant to take with them to work.

Or, maybe that's just me.... :blink:

Excellent pizza, though it comes steaming out of the oven so it's more of a "buy and take back to the office to infuriate the bag lunchers" sort of thing. I ate all the prosciutto off of mine while I waited for it to cool. The buffalo moz was very tangy and the grilled eggplant was perfectly done.

It will have to be a sick day/day off place, though, as I second or third the working far away problem. Lucky NSF/DARPA folks get it, I suppose.

It's also amazing how much is crammed into that cart. It's like getting pizza cooked on the space shuttle.

Thank you all for your feedback and complements. I am so happy you guys enjoyed the food!

We'd love to be open till 8pm, but right now we can't physically do it, as we need to do all the prep work in the evenings. I am waiting for the cart to become more popular and generate more cash flow so that we could afford to hire somebody to help us do all the prep and then we will be open for dinner as well.

Thanks again for your support, guys!

Pupatella.

Had a chance to have lunch here today and was impressed with what they were doing. I order the Margarita and while I was waiting I was offered a sample of the roasted pepper soup. The soup was perfect on this cold day, nice flavor. I was the first pizza order of the day and had to wait a bit, but it was worth it. The crust was decent as was the ingredients. The only recommendation I would make would be to hit it with a little salt at the end.

Well worth the trip. Unfortunately I am usually no where near here for lunch.

Part of my New Years resolution was to bring my lunch to work more often. Between that, and the nasty, wet, cold Jan/Feb, I haven't had the desire to wander from my new office in Ballston to the Pupatella cart, a quick 4 block jaunt.

Damnit, so much for the diet. I could eat here every day. I tried it for the first time on Friday, and here it is Tuesday, and I'm already back for seconds.

On Friday, I came late, hoping I'd miss the lunch rush. Well, I did, but I also missed the lunch INGREDIENTS. There was dough, sauce, and toppings, but Anastasiya had just run out of cheese! So much for the Margherita, but I was hungry, so I asked her just to throw together a non-cheese pie. She made me the special - roasted potato, rosemary, caramelized onions, and BACON. And OMG that crust - crispy, chewy, but not a cracker - fantastic. I hardly missed the cheese! She didn't charge me for the toppings as an apology for the lack of cheese, and in fact couldn't break my $20, so I even got a further discount to the $4 I was carrying instead of $5.

Today I decided to head out early, and got there at 11:45. Just a couple of people waiting, and this time I got my Margherita. Crust was still excellent, and nicely browned. Cheese had just the right amount of snap, and the sauce was tangy but not sweet. Nice, sharp basil. It survived the 10 minute walk back to the office with aplomb, and I was the envy of the break room. No salad, so I had to settle for fried rice balls. Yum - those went down on the walk back. Today's total was a ridiculous $12. ($5 pizza, $4 rice balls, $1 to repay her for last time, and $2 in the tip jar).

I'm hooked! Anastasiya, I'll see you next week!

We are only open Mon-Fri for breakfast and lunch right now, from 8 to 3:30, but soon will be open until 8pm.

I visited the website, which says that closing time is 4:00. My hope was that showing up a little after 2:30 yesterday would not be too late, but apparently it was.

Is this the case every day, or was yesterday an exception? I was really looking forward to trying the margherita and croquettes!

I stopped by today after hitting the Farmers' market. Took the calculated risk of taking my Margherita home and it held up quite well. The crust was still pretty crispy by the time I got home. Enzo and Anastasiya were really friendly.

I, too, finally sampled your menu when I checked out the farmers' market a few weeks ago. What a brilliant idea you've brought to Arlington! I am now a huge fan. You've definitely elevated "street" food to a whole new level by bringing a piece of Italy and Europe to your little spot in Ballston. More power to you, and based on what I've seen in recent days, you just may need help sooner rather than later during that lunch hour peak.

Just got back from lunch at the Pupatella food cart. I gotta say, they are making some good food over there! The arancini were great, very close to the real deal, al dente, little spicy, peas, and soy meat. The soy meat was pretty convincing as the real thing, although, if I am not mistaken, in Naples it is usually stuffed with saucy ground pig organs, (YUM!).

Anyway, great food and nice people. I will be back!

p.s. considering the oven, the margherita with buffalo was pretty darn good too. I've had worse at local pizzerie.

p.s. considering the oven, the margherita with buffalo was pretty darn good too. I've had worse at local pizzerie.

The question is: Have you had better pizza in North Arlington? I haven't, and that includes Italian Store and Pie-tanza. The $6 Margherita ($3 upcharge for buffalo mozzarella) is remarkable given the oven, and the grilled steak sandwich ($6) with mozzarella and grilled onions was very good, too.

Given that Pupatella has chosen to compete with Potbelly, Cosi, and Ruby Tuesday - all less than a block away - this great food cart is on my short list of the most significant and important lunch spots in all of Washington, DC. The quality and attention to detail here are remarkable.

Minor nitpick: I asked how long my food would be, and was told 10-15 minutes, whereas it took 32 (I wasn't timing; I just happened to feed the parking meter after ordering). Mind you, this food is well-worth the wait, but people may want to avoid the prime-time lunch crush - Pupatella is open 8-4.

I sent another chef there today, and am curious to know what he thinks...

Cheers,

Rocks.

P.S. They apparently post their menu online every day!

Minor nitpick: I asked how long my food would be, and was told 10-15 minutes, whereas it took 32 (I wasn't timing; I just happened to feed the parking meter after ordering).

I've only ever seen a wait that long on Friday, when the Ballston Farmer's Market occupies the same square. Never waited longer than 10-15 minutes any other day of the week.

Don, Daniel and Edan -

Thank you guys for the support and your nice words. It means a lot to us coming from you.

Don - sorry for the wait. We became extremely busy ever since that article in the Post came out, and Friday is our busiest day. But you're right - we should bemore realistic about the wait time with the customers. I would not recommend coming later than 1:30 though - we now to sell out of pizza by then. We are working on increasing our output, but for right now - we are just trying to hang on and keep up with all this. Let's just say, wow, we really didn't anticipate such demand.

Daniel - we missed you today!

Edan - we never had rice balls with the pig insides in Naples, we usually had ground beef or pork. Or wait....we THINK it was ground pork...Ha!

Anyway, we are going to start making them with ground pork as well (in addition to the veg version), at least until we can find us some ground pork organs!

Pupatella

Finally made it here last month. Line was long (it was a day or two after the Post article) but totally worth the wait.

I ordered the four-cheese pizza (gorgonzola, mozzarella, parmesan, goat) and the spinach salad with goat cheese, tomatoes, and grilled sausage. The pizza was an awesome blend of sweet, salty, and bitter. A slightly saltier crust and some pepper on the pie would have made it perfect IMO.

After a trip to the doctor's, I could not resist visiting the Pupatella cart since the office was so close and I don't really get a chance otherwise to visit their location and the Ballston Farmer's market. I ordered a I-want-to-sock-my-bronchial-infected-coworker-for-getting-me-sick pie (it was really the Margherita) and found comfort after the first bite. There are rarer comforts than fresh-out-of-the-oven pizza, the first bite blending the piping hot tomato sauce with the cheese and the sting of the basil, followed by its warmth trailing down your throat, and this pizza definitely falls within that category. Their crust reminds me of the really good, freshly baked pitas from Zaytinya in the good days -- soft, chewy and warm.

At around 1:30pm, there was a line of 10 people waiting for their orders, but as stated above, my pizza was worth the wait.

This week's special pizza #2 was fantastic: PIZZA WITH PROSCIUTTO, ARUGULA, AND PARMESAN.

It was the pizza margherita, first cooked, with the prosciutto, arugula, and parmesan added after, then drizzled with olive oil. No one flavor was overpowering. The prosciutto was delicate and easily bitten through (i.e., did not pull the whole slice of meat off the pizza with each bite). A fine lunch, indeed.

If they have this next week, dive right in. :lol:

How early do they start serving lunch?

I've been by as early as a few minutes after 11, and they were already cranking out pizza. I don't know if they turn the oven off or shut the cart down between breakfast and lunch - the website just says 8a-2:30p.

I can't express how much I love the pizza at Pupatella. At the risk of causing a stir, I feel it is the best pizza in the area. Obviously everyone has their specific criteria of what makes a great pizza, but here's what I love about it: thin, crispy, charred crust, simple crushed San Marazano tomato sauce, a few large blobs of fresh mozzarella cheese, finished off with several fresh basil leaves, olive oil and salt. They have other toppings you can add, but I like keeping it simple.

The one thing to keep in mind about the cart is that it closes on random days. You should always check their website (click) to be sure it's open before you go.

The one thing to keep in mind about the cart is that it closes on random days. You should always check their website (click) to be sure it's open before you go.

It looks like they've cut back to Thursdays and Fridays. I'm not sure if that's a temporary thing or a more permanent change. Previously it had been around just about every non-rainy day and thy appeared to get good crowds throughout the week.

It's a shame, they just fired up the grill for those sausage sandwiches.

I emailed the owners, Enzo and Anastasiya, via their website to ask about their updated hours. They sent me this reply, "We are running a reduced temporary schedule right now because we are expecting a baby any day now. Keep checking our website to see when we will be open. We will also be closed today, 5/15/09, because we have a wedding we are going to."

I wish Pupatella (the italian cart with good thin crust pizza) would stay open a little later, it is really good.

Since it's just the two of them, and they're there for breakfast, I don't think that's in the cards. Anastasia told me that they still have several hours of prep work for the next day once they roll out each night.

Since it's just the two of them, and they're there for breakfast, I don't think that's in the cards. Anastasia told me that they still have several hours of prep work for the next day once they roll out each night.

I know... but it is the best pizza in the neighborhood and I am not normally home for lunch. Sigh.

It looks like they've cut back to Thursdays and Fridays. I'm not sure if that's a temporary thing or a more permanent change.

This is still the case, as I didn't realize it and tried to visit the little red cart today. There are two competing burrito carts there now, it appears. This is all a drive-by, so poor vision does not help matters.

This is still the case, as I didn't realize it and tried to visit the little red cart today. There are two competing burrito carts there now, it appears. This is all a drive-by, so poor vision does not help matters.

They recently had a bambino, so have curtailed their operations. There is a new "sandwich" cart that (according to its signage) offers burritos and burgers, and a Nan cart too sometimes.

Oh I SO hope they try to make that fried calzone!

I wonder if the cart will stay when the restaurant opens..? Sounds like we have some time before it becomes an issue but I really hope it does for those of us who work around there. Looks a little too far to walk to over a lunch break..

Anyone have a status report? The blog hasn't been updated in a while - I drive by every day and haven't seen trucks outside regularly. I'm so excited for this place to open but hope it hasn't been derailed!

I saw from their blog that they have a location for their restaurant! It'll be at 5104 Wilson Blvd. (looks like that used to be El Sabroso restaurant.) More details in their blog. Congratulations!

Anyone have a status report? The blog hasn't been updated in a while - I drive by every day and haven't seen trucks outside regularly. I'm so excited for this place to open but hope it hasn't been derailed!

I asked Enzo the other day how things are going with his brick and mortar establishment, and although he didn't have a target date, he said they were running into the types of delays that come with opening in the Peoples Republic of Arlington, i.e. permits and related issues. He was still hopeful that it will be soon.

Good news - drove by yesterday and there were trucks and other equipment outside and inside so it looks like things are now moving along again. My mouth is watering . . .

Well I am wishing them all my best because I love the cart, it is the best pizza in our neighborhood, and the arrancini is mmm mm good.

I got a pizza yesterday--delicious as always--and asked Enzo how things were going with the restaurant. He said things are finally moving along and that he expects to open some time next month. He also said that they would bring back the pizza cart once things are settled at the restaurant.

So no nuttin' until the restaurant is up and running? Their website is rather useless.

They used to update it a couple of times a week, but there's just the two of them, and with a baby around and starting a new restaurant, I can see how updating the website might fall down on the list of priorities.