Maestro, in the Tysons Corner Ritz-Carlton - Closed.

I'll be there too. This just happened to be the night that we reserved back in May for a six-top with a kitchen view. I just hope, under the circumstances, that things still work out.

Joe, I remember that you were promoting the lobster ravioli at one point. Is this still something that can be requested?

Maybe we'll see you there!

The lobster ravioli is Fabio's signature dish. It is available on the menu for a $10 upcharge. It's the only item with an upcharge. I've had it a couple of times, and was thinking about requesting it on the 18th.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Scottee, on your future visit ask him to include his new version of mussels with a kind of bread crumb topping along with his Grappa risotto which I continue to believe is his best. We were there last night also.

...I am still taking aspirin.

Joe, I'm sorry we didn't see one another. We had 5:30 reservations, and finally tottered out at almost 10:30! [Note: we don't usually stay that long.]

I had the mussels last time we were there, and they were wonderful. I also recently had a risotto that contained escargot, which was fantastic. Not sure if that's the one you meant.

Joe, I'm sorry we didn't see one another. We had 5:30 reservations, and finally tottered out at almost 10:30! [Note: we don't usually stay that long.]

I had the mussels last time we were there, and they were wonderful. I also recently had a risotto that contained escargot, which was fantastic. Not sure if that's the one you meant.

We were seated at 8:30 and left somewhere between 1 and 2. (We were at one of the two tables in the front.) We were NOT the last to leave. I believe that the two best dishes he does are his lobster ravioli and his Grappa risotto. Last night, for however many courses we had, all four at the table agreed on this. At this point I've had a half dozen or more of Fabio's risottos. (I also make risotto.) For me, without question, his Grappa risotto is one of the best I have ever had anywhere. (It does NOT contain escargot.) This includes Massimiliano's coffee risotto at Le Calandre which some call the best of all his dishes. Fabio's Grappa is better. (I should also note that Roberto's white truffle risotto is another of the very best that I have ever had.)

You should not leave Maestro without experiencing his Grappa risotto. It is one of the Great tastes that I have ever had anywhere. Request it in advance-you must!

We were seated at 8:30 and left somewhere between 1 and 2. (We were at one of the two tables in the front.) We were NOT the last to leave. I believe that the two best dishes he does are his lobster ravioli and his Grappa risotto. Last night, for however many courses we had, all four at the table agreed on this. At this point I've had a half dozen or more of Fabio's risottos. (I also make risotto.) For me, without question, his Grappa risotto is one of the best I have ever had anywhere. (It does NOT contain escargot.) This includes Massimiliano's coffee risotto at Le Calandre which some call the best of all his dishes. Fabio's Grappa is better. (I should also note that Roberto's white truffle risotto is another of the very best that I have ever had.)

You should not leave Maestro without experiencing his Grappa risotto. It is one of the Great tastes that I have ever had anywhere. Request it in advance-you must!

OMG! That's WAY past my bedtime (although my neighbors were still out on their patio talking at 2 am)!

Thanks for the tip on the Grappa risotto. We'll take that under advisement.

This is going to be short because I am swamped at work... but I will elaborate later this week.

At Emmanuel and Fabio's courtesy, my husband and I dined at Maestro last Saturday. IT WAS BREATHTAKING...the food, wine service and table service. Fabio must have been reading our minds, as we were talking about the to-die-for foie gras at Regalade in Paris, Fabio presented a Fish (from Brittany) dish with foiegras...the evening was full of surprises, course after course. My favorite was the tuna crudo--a whimsical yet straighforward execution with different textures (lime, caviar, oysters and parsely foam) and salt. Fabio's lobster is better than Per Se's rendition.

Maestro is definitely next on our fav list after Tru in Chicago. As some of you may know, I had just an "okay" experience last time but clearly that was an off night. We are extremely sad that we hadn't tried the place again earlier than last weekend. We are rushing to make up an anniversary so that we can visit one last time before Fabio leaves.

We are rushing to make up an anniversary so that we can visit one last time before Fabio leaves.

I hope you already have reservations for sometime this week. Fabio's last night in the kitchen is also the restaurant's last night before vacation: Saturday, August 18. I made reservations as soon as I heard Fabio was leaving, and I'm very glad I did. We dined there 2 weeks ago, and it was one of the best dinners we've had there.

This would typically be a slow time for the restaurant, but from what the staff have told me they are busy every night. I normally wouldn't plan to dine on the last night before the restaurant is closed for several weeks, because their food supplies might be limited. But I don't think that will be the case this Saturday. Fabio told me more than once that Saturday night will be "glorious."

I'll take notes.

The James Beard org is keeping up with the news:

From Beard Bites: "Fabio Trabocchi, who earned a James Beard Foundation Award for his inspired cooking at Maestro at the Ritz-Carlton Tysons Corner in McLean, Virginia, is moving to the Big Apple, where he will become the chef at Fiamma Osteria in Soho. Fiamma's previous chef, Michael White, has moved to L'Impero and Alto in Midtown. "

I don't know what the cancellation rate has been like, but for a couple of weeks now their book has been full for the remaining nights of Fabio's tenure. If you don't already have a ressie (or some real pull), best of luck getting a table :angry:

I'm so happy the fiancee got my birthday reservations for tonight a couple weeks ago. It's going to be sad to see Fabio go, hopefully tonight is a memorable experience.

It was so delicious that it made us sad. There are valid reasons why we haven't gone before -- the location, the price, etc. -- but after eating our meal there, we truly regretted not having been before -- and particularly not being able to go again.

Has anyone been to Maestro in the last week or two that cares to share their experience?

It was so delicious that it made us sad. There are valid reasons why we haven't gone before -- the location, the price, etc. -- but after eating our meal there, we truly regretted not having been before -- and particularly not being able to go again.

Out of deference to Vincent and Emanuelle and the staff who remain, I want to remind everyone that the restaurant is not closing. It is losing Fabio and a couple of member of his kitchen staff (I got that third-hand so can't be more specific). The staff members I spoke with the other night are committed to the continuance of the restaurant in some form.

The Ritz-Carlton group hired Fabio away from a successful gig in London 7 years ago. There's no reason to think they can't do something similar now. And I for one hope that Maestro does continue to be a standout--we need to keep restaurants of that caliber here in Virginia. I will miss Fabio terribly. My affection and respect for him are tremendous. But I remain here and want to continue to have a great venue in my own backyard.

Actually, my understanding is that the restaurant IS closing. All the BOH staff are leaving, as are a few of the FOH staff, and the restaurant will be closed for at least 6 months. My understanding is also that it will be a completely different and new restaurant when it reopens, echoing the style and food of its completely new chef and crew.

As for standout dishes, I particularly enjoyed the squash blossom tempura and the nutella souffle :angry:

Actually, my understanding is that the restaurant IS closing. All the BOH staff are leaving, as are a few of the FOH staff, and the restaurant will be closed for at least 6 months. My understanding is also that it will be a completely different and new restaurant when it reopens, echoing the style and food of its completely new chef and crew.

Interesting. Any word yet on who will be taking over? Their website says:

Due to the transition of our new Chef de Cuisine, we are extending the reopening of Maestro following our summer break. Maestro will be closed for dinner Tuesday, August 21 through Monday, October 1.

We will reopen on Tuesday, October 2.

What a way to go out last night. Service was perfect, meal was paced well, we ordered just the right amount of food (her 3 courses, myself 5) and there was not one thing outside of the yellow tomato water with the amuse that wasn't incredible. A lot of people have talked about the lobster ravioli (which is incredible) and stinging nettle gnocchi (mindblowing), but my other favorites were the duo of veal, which were great texture contrasts to each other and worked so well with the mashed potatoes and other garnish, and the sea bream with the zucchini tempura was the very definition of satisfying. We finished up with the blueberries and short bread and the coffee ice cream, both of which were very good, but the coffee ice cream was easily one of the best desserts that I have ever had.

So so sad to see this talented individual leaving DC, but this should be motivation to take a trip up to NYC when he's settled into his new digs and give it a try!

Interesting. This is very definitely not what we were told a couple of weeks ago at dinner. Our server was unsure of what would be happening, but clearly expected the restaurant to stay open and expected the sous chef and others in the kitchen to stay on.

We had a brilliant meal last night at Fabio's DC swan song. Everything was sensational, though the kobe beef tartare w/quail egg and summer truffles was my favorite. I was told by Emanuelle that wagyu was used in the weeks leading up to the close but actual kobe from Japan was brought in for the last night. The lobster ravioli/bisque was mind blowing as was the oyster shooter with 4 small plump oysters (like oyster bon bons - yum!). Also, Fabio did a consomme with an artichoke stuffed with foie gras and coated in a mixture of pistachios and poached chicken. Unusual and very special. I'll stop there on the food though everything else was also world class. As for future plans, Fabio heads to NYC today. Fiamma is closing for a couple of weeks for some FOH and BOH changes and will reopen in early September, first for a few weeks of friends/family and "preview" service. Fabio takes with him 9 of the 11 people in the kitchen, including his sous chef. Maestro is targeted for an October 2nd reopening provided that a new executive chef is on board. I was told negotiations are in progress with someone but no deal has been finalized. If a chef is not hired by then the reopening will be delayed. No final decision on whether the name will be retained. Pretty clear that Emanuelle and Vincent would like to keep the name but the new chef will obviously have a say in that decision. It was a great farewell dinner. There were several standiing ovations for the chef between 10PM and 1AM and he was quite gracious in making his way around the room to thank many of his loyal patrons, some of whom had visited the restaurant 100+ times in Fabio's 7 year tenure!

Interesting. This is very definitely not what we were told a couple of weeks ago at dinner. Our server was unsure of what would be happening, but clearly expected the restaurant to stay open and expected the sous chef and others in the kitchen to stay on.

Roberto Donna will be the next chef at Maestro?

I didn't ask that direct question last night, but I was told by Vincent and Emanuele that they are still looking for the next chef, nothing is firm, and they hope to have one in time to open on October 2, but may have to postpone the opening.

There seem to be a few rumors flying around, and the speculation is interesting. I can only go by what I heard from the two closest to the process.

Vincent, Emanuele, and all of the FOH people I spoke with are planning to stay on.

Thanks. While I am sure the place will probably change fairly drastically with a new chef and all, it'll be great to try the new place knowing those folks will still be there creating the warm and welcoming environment that the place exuded due to their efforts at Maestro.

Patricia Heaton.

See: http://www.patriciaheatononline.com/pharti...0/aol_chat.html

"Question: If you weren't an actress, what would you be doing?

Patricia Heaton: Hmmm. Probably a full time mom. At this point, having kids. If I didn't have children, and I was going to have another profession, I would like to go back to school and get a degree in English Literature. Or possibly go to the seminary Theology! But I also take cooking classes occasionally, so I think if I wanted to on work and still have my children, if we were hypothetically speaking, maybe something with food!"

Patricia Heaton.

See: http://www.patriciaheatononline.com/pharti...0/aol_chat.html

"Question: If you weren't an actress, what would you be doing?

Patricia Heaton: Hmmm. Probably a full time mom. At this point, having kids. If I didn't have children, and I was going to have another profession, I would like to go back to school and get a degree in English Literature. Or possibly go to the seminary Theology! But I also take cooking classes occasionally, so I think if I wanted to on work and still have my children, if we were hypothetically speaking, maybe something with food!"

Peewee Herman?

Okay, look, I don't make a habit of "breaking news," but since there's so much speculation, I don't see any harm in it just this one time. Just remember you heard it here first. Click.
While apparently (according to a recent study) 30% of men do not wash their hands after using the lavatory, 100% of men do wash up after touching PH, so there are some PH issues here.