dr.com 2nd Annual Spring Picnic

hillvalley

• Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I am having a few unexpected guest this weekend...they can still come right? I will bring more than enough food compensate but just wanted to check.
Bring 'em.

I'm shifting into full picnic preparation mode. I made the Lexington style Eastern North Carolina barbeque sauce this morning before work. On the way home I plan to stop and procure the pork butts. They are on sale this week for 98 cents/lb. Those will go in the brine this evening and stay there until about 8:00 AM Sat. when they will go in the smoker.

I also need to start looking for one of the primary ingredients in Martian pig slop from Hell. A couple of fifths ought to do it.

Turns out I won't be able to make it. Though I could drop by after 4pm if there are still any of you there.

I'm not showing up myself until around 3:30 or so, so I damned well hope that there's still a crowd there late!

Will there be a grill?

I was looking through my freezer and see I have some unidentified sausages -- could be brats, could be some kind of fancy chicken sausage (basil? sun dried tomatoes?), I just don't know -- which I could bring.

If I brought a durian, would anybody eat it?

I am afraid to try one myself but would like to experiment on someone brave.

A quick reminder for folks to be aware of rules and regulations --

RULES AND REGULATIONS

FOR USE OF PICNIC AREAS IN FORT HUNT PARK

1. This permit is for use of the picnic area during the hours between 10:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. only. The park is open at 8:00 a.m. However, picnic areas are not available for use until 10:00 a.m. in order to allow time for completion of maintenance duties.

2. Amplified music is allowed at Area A ONLY, as long as it does not disturb other park users or park neighbors.

3. Beer or wine (no hard liquors) is allowed with a valid park permit only; however, state laws prohibiting the consumption of alcoholic beverages by minors must be observed. If you contract with a local distributor to deliver beer to the park, the distributor will require you to purchase a 1-day permit through the ABC Board.

4. Trash must be picked up and the area left in a clean condition before departure. Permittee accepts responsibility for any willful damage to structures or vegetation, for excessive litter, and agrees to pay cost incurred for any resulting repairs and/or clean-up.

5. Permittee and group members will be responsible for their actions while permitted to use a Fort Hunt Park picnic area, and will hold the United States harmless from any claim or liability resulting from acts of negligence or willful misconduct.

6. No vending, raffles, or collection of fees of any kind shall be allowed on park property.

7. Park in designated spaces only. No vehicles shall be driven or parked on the grass. Car pooling and/or chartered buses should be considered.

Area "A" - 155 parking spaces; 3 handicapped accessible spaces

Area "B" - 144 parking spaces

Areas "C-1, C-2, and C-3" - 137 parking spaces [total]

Area "D" - 32 parking spaces

Any special parking request including the use of the area around the pavilion in area "A" must be made at least two weeks prior to the scheduled picnic. Only vehicles with special permits will be allowed in restricted areas.

8. Picnic tables shall not be moved from one picnic area to another. Permittee will be responsible for paying cost incurred for any resulting work.

9. Fires are permitted in established fireplaces (area "A" pavilion) or personal grills only. However, you must bring your own firewood, as none may be collected within the park. In addition, all fires must be extinguished and ashes placed in designated containers or left in fireplaces before the area is vacated. Red metal trashcans are provided for the dumping of charcoals. There are no grills in any of the areas -- permittee must supply their own grill.

10. Electricity (20 AMPS only) is available in Area A (pavilion) only.

11. Park water (including restrooms and fire hydrants) may not be used for filling dunk tanks or for any other recreational use.

12. No directional signs may be posted on Mt. Vernon Memorial Highway/George Washington Memorial Parkway leading to the park.

13. The permittee will comply with all instructions issued by the U.S. Park Police or other representative of the Superintendent, George Washington Memorial Parkway.

These regulations are designed to assure a pleasant experience for you and other park users.

Please read carefully and assure that all participants in your planned activity comply with them.

Failure to comply with these regulations may result in the revocation of your permit and/or the inability of your organization to obtain future permits.

If I brought a durian, would anybody eat it?

I am afraid to try one myself but would like to experiment on someone brave.

The King of all fruit. If you like fruit that tastes like creamy garlic and smells like old sweatsocks, it's great. Actually, once you get past the smell, durian is pretty tasty.

Actually, once you get past the smell, durian is pretty tasty.

Maybe if we can position the durian downwind, while keeping its olfactory shadow away from other picnickers. I once brought one into work for some brave souls to taste; we waited until 5:30 on a Friday to crack it open, and by 6:00 the smell scared the stragglers in accounting (clear across the building) into going home.

Maybe if we can position the durian downwind, while keeping its olfactory shadow away from other picnickers. I once brought one into work for some brave souls to taste; we waited until 5:30 on a Friday to crack it open, and by 6:00 the smell scared the stragglers in accounting (clear across the building) into going home.
You should have cut it open at 8:00am...you might have had a short day...in Thailand ripe durian are considered a real hazard..especially when they ripen and fall from the tree...about the same as being hit by a falling brick.

If there is a shortage of meat, I can bring burgers , hot dogs and accroutements. As I have decided not to go to Paris tomorrow, no stinky cheese for me either, I will still bring some desserts though.

Someone lemme know about the meats, it will be Hebrew National and Costco brand bugers, no Wegmans .

I definitely vote for some juicy, grilled burgers and almost burnt hot dogs. A picnic isn't a picnic without them!!!

If I brought a durian, would anybody eat it? I am afraid to try one myself but would like to experiment on someone brave.
I’m volunteering to be the brave experiment…

Actually, I’m cheating…lots of durian from where I come from! :) Exactly like how Escoffier described it. If you can ignore the smell, once you eat it, you’ll have the pleasure of tasting such an exotic fruit—the closest I can think of is the moist, somewhat creamy texture of fresh jackfruit.

Scott's thing has been cancelled so the Shorters will be making an appearance. Is there anything you're in need of that we should bring?

We might be short the smallish, clear plastic "cocktail cups" for vinous imbibification.

Here is what we have so far (that I know of :) ) for the butter/salt tasting:

Butter –

Organic Pastures (unpasteurized)

Sevre et Belle (demi-sel)

Sevre et Belle (unsalted)

Land O'Lakes (unsalted)

Hillandale (salted)

Challenge (regular)

Challenge ("European style")

Horizon Organic (unsalted)

Plugra

Amish butter

Russian butter

Indian butter

goat butter

Salt –

Himalayan pink salt

Italian herbal salt

Black salt

Le Paludier sel gris

Morton's Kosher

Red Hawai'ian sea salt

Maldon sea salt

Penzey's Fleur de Sel

'Esprit du Sel' sel gris

Fleur de Sel

Balinese coarse Kechil sea salt

Contributions to the tasting are still welcome. :angry:

I've got some Balinese coarse Kechil sea salt I can bring along.

The breads will be:

zucchini (w/walnuts)

prune (w/sherry)

walnut onion

The latter two of these are very good with meat, especially pork/ham. They will also be good with various butters. If I have time and energy, I might also make quick (faux) sourdough baguettes, but that's looking like a slim possibility.

The tabbouli I'm bringing is vegan.

Do we need labels with ingredients, etc. for these things? I was thinking that the prune bread should be labeled as having alcohol, at least.

Do we need labels with ingredients, etc. for these things? I was thinking that the prune bread should be labeled as having alcohol, at least.

I think that having some pens and index cards to label dishes (and specialty things like alcohol, vegan, etc.) is a brilliant idea.

I think that having some pens and index cards to label dishes (and specialty things like alcohol, vegan, etc.) is a brilliant idea.
I have excess index cards and pens and should be able to find them... :)

This is all taken care of. And if you have posted/PM'd what you are bringing, you'll even get a pre-printed card for your dish. :)
That's great. It should be helpful.

[edit because that didn't sound the way I meant it to sound.]

Nope, no pre-printed name tags, so you are safe.

For the moment... :)

as someone that has memory issues, i would have no objections to name tags.

since i presume i am in the minority on this one, i am asking for amnesty for my forgetfullness now.

A few last-second thoughts on what everyone can bring (can't have too much of):

Sunblock--Sunny and 78 is classic oops-I'm-sunburned weather

Water--mmmmmmmm, water

Wine glasses (if you don't want to drink from plastic--not a big issue for me, though I'll probably bring a few if I remember)

Serving pieces if you have a few extra

Any others?

I believe you mean the "aliquot of cane-juice-essence wine store" cough :)
Yeah....that whole region....

I might do lime granita, or make sour mix (have oranges and lemons, too, but mostly a pile of zested limes)

Corkscrews.
I see your corkscrews and raise you 'bottle openers'.

We will bringing a corkscrew (we ALWAYS do!) and I found some smaller, plastic glasses at the Safeway. I picked up a six-pack of water, too. (I tend to drink too much when there's no water available. What's up with that?)

as someone that has memory issues, i would have no objections to name tags.

since i presume i am in the minority on this one, i am asking for amnesty for my forgetfullness now.

You are not alone, my friend. I am the WORST at connecting names and faces. I wonder if it is genetic? :)

It's like I'm on (the old) Candid Camera show over here in cucas87-world. Whoever put the huge seeds in my supposedly seedless watermelon, come clean! I'll apologize for whatever it is I must have done in a past life.

Richard Feynman has made an appearance at Cellar Cull Central, providing an added, um, boost to proceedings.

In other news, the ham came off my non-electric smoker at 10PM last night, after a repose of some twenty-and-a-half hours. Methinks we name the ham "D." A most flavorful meson.

The Cellar Cull Chariot is leaving these parts soon. Quite soon. Is that "quite" in the British or American sense? Not sure. I'll let you know.

Richard Feynman has made an appearance at Cellar Cull Central, providing an added, um, boost to proceedings.
Surely you're joking!

Just back from a three mile walk for chives. Why are these things always such races to the finish?