dr.com 2nd Annual Spring Picnic

hillvalley

It is time to start planning our annual spring picnic. Our spring picnic last year was a complete success and it is time for a repeat. The first and most difficult step is finding a date that is the most convienent for as many members as possible. Here are the options:

Saturday, May 20th

Sunday, May 21st

Sunday, June 4th

These dates avoid Mother's day, Memorial day and Father's day.

Other details to be discussed will be brought up later but let's tackle this first hurdle <_< All you need to do is post your choices in order.

ps There is room for everyone so there is no need to PM me to let me know you want to come ;)

Vote away....

• Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Wouldn't it be easier to setup one of the online polls? Or do they not allow multiple choices?

Anyway, as of right now all look good for me. This going to be at the same great location as the last two?

We won't know 'til the end of the week, but we are having a contest at work that, IF we win, we will be going to Iceland on the weekend of May 20-21. What with graduations and such, it's disappointing that I've had conflicts with all the previous picnic dates as well!! So, my vote, for now, is for June 4th or 11th. (Father's day is not until the 18th)

But if I do have to miss it, I guess Iceland is as good a reason as any <_<

You'll note, JG, that the thread title says Spring picnic.

As for location, I know everyone loves that site but we are looking into a new one. Nothing has been decided but given the potential size and "beverage" consumption it is worth looking into a new spot. The main concern is having permit for a group that large but also a spot that allows for all forms of beverage consumption. Does anyone have any ideas? Please PM me with other suggestions and if need be or possible we will put it to a vote.

You'll note, JG, that the thread title says Spring picnic.

As for location, I know everyone loves that site but we are looking into a new one.  Nothing has been decided but given the potential size and "beverage" consumption it is worth looking into a new spot.  The main concern is having permit for a group that large but also a spot that allows for all forms of beverage consumption.  Does anyone have any ideas?  Please PM me with other suggestions and if need be or possible we will put it to a vote.

I understand the desire to find a place to handle beverage needs to the rule and letter. But not to be a troublemaker and simply to be honest, I think it'll be mighty tough to find a location that's as picturesque and pleasant as Belle Haven, with parking, bathroom facilities, so close to a major access route and short hop from public transport AND has an open bottle policy. I'm open to hearing out any of the suggestions, but I would need convincing that it's worth ditching the "brown bag" routine.

I think it'll be mighty tough to find a location that's as picturesque and pleasant as Belle Haven, with parking, bathroom facilities, so close to a major access route and short hop from public transport AND has an open bottle policy.

What CF said <_< - Belle Haven is the best of all worlds.

There may be other possible locations, and they may offer some of the items above - though definitely NOT the view. My guess, and experience, is that they will all require a permit ($$) 1) for a group of our size and 2) to allow for adult beverage consumption.

If we go to Belle Haven, I'll even volunteer for 2 tablesitting slots to keep the space the morning of the picnic! ;)

We won't know 'til the end of the week, but we are having a contest at work that, IF we win, we will be going to Iceland on the weekend of May 20-21. What with graduations and such, it's disappointing that I've had conflicts with all the previous picnic dates as well!!  So, my vote, for now, is for June 4th or 11th. (Father's day is not until the 18th)

But if I do have to miss it, I guess Iceland is as good a reason as any  <_<

Yee hah! I'm going to Iceland!!! ;) I am officially requesting June 4th.

(and can I put in a vote for June for acrover as well? Since I know for a fact he'll be in Iceland, too!)

June 4th it is!

May 21st probably comes in first when you put in the either date works for me votes, but since there are two other food related events that day it seems to make sense to have it on the 4th. Plus, if our lawyers agree that we can have it at Belle Haven traffic in Alexandria will be a nightmare.

I haven't read through this whole thread about the locations that are being considered but Ft Hunt Park, just off the GW Parkway south of Old Town allows for adult beverages, has restrooms, pavilions, right of the bus line that connects to Huntington Metro, is pretty and has tons of parking. I've had several events there ranging from 20 - 600 people. The link is:

http://www.nps.gov/gwmp/fohu/fohu-picnic.htm