hillvalley

• Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

is anyone else going by themselves?

ive never met anyone from dr.com before and i'm a little nervous about attending alone.

i don't want to just sort of be by mahself, off to the side, y'all.

Plenty of singles - cmon down

Plenty of singles - cmon down

Singles, huh? Will we need to add DATE well to the t-shirts?

In addition to bringing some fermented water with hops, malt and barley, I'll be holding babysitting auditions.

Singles, huh? Will we need to add DATE well to the t-shirts?

In addition to bringing some fermented water with hops, malt and barley, I'll be holding babysitting auditions.

"2nd annual dr.com spring picnic/singles gala/boozefest '06"

alrite, y'all, i took off work for this little shindig.

j.gaustreaux- i jumped on that tshirt train like i was bonnie and clyde runnin from the law, honey.

for serious though, thanks for the positive response, you guys, it has made me feel a lot more comfortable with the idea of walking into a sea of strangers. i guess i didnt really have a reason to be so nervous, cuz as we all know.. the love of food bridges many gaps.

So should we provide buttons and scorecards????

Single

Single but not looking

Single Parent

Involved with someone...stay away

Married, but looking for a new cook

Married, not looking

LOL, I am single and will be there with my 6 yo daughter who is also single (but not looking).

is anyone else going by themselves?

ive never met anyone from dr.com before and i'm a little nervous about attending alone.

i don't want to just sort of be by mahself, off to the side, y'all.

I'll be going by myself and I've never been to any dr.com events either. None at all. And since we're both new posters, I understand your nervousness. So we'll find each other at the picnic--so we won't be crying in our mango molds. :)

And I agree, wearing a DR T-shirt will definitely up the inclusion factor.

My hubby (Pete) and I will be attending the picnic this year. I'm excited to meet more people.

I'm usually the dessert maker so I will probably bring cookies...maybe I'll try to make "BBQ" chicken too. The BBQ is vinegar and oil based and I've only had it in Harrisonburg, VA...but it's great! Of course we'll come with beer and/or wine too.

See you there!

So you all don't have to scroll through the thread looking for the information... A map and directions to Fort Hunt park can be found here. We have reserved picnic area C-2 for Sunday, June 4th from 12-6.

Below is the latest list of who is bringing what, based on what has been posted/PM'd so far:

Meats/Mains:

Jacques Gastreaux -- smoked pork shoulder with Eastern North Carolina-style BBQ sauce

eating out -- grandma's famous hot salami's

clayrae -- turkey tonnato (roasted turkey breast with tuna sauce)

Demvtr -- a big array of prepared/flavored tofu

jparrot -- smoked country ham

mdt & CrescentFresh -- homemade bratwurst

agm -- pernil (Puerto Rican-style roasted pork shoulder)

LaShanta -- barbequed chicken

paula -- barbequed chicken (possibly)

goldenticket -- grilled chicken breasts with dried cranberry relish

bbq4me -- a meat dish of some sort

squidsdc -- chicken sausage

Rissa P -- chicken and pork adobo

Sides/Salads:

Jacques Gastreaux -- roasted potato salad

porcupine -- vegetarian salad

Al Dente -- gazpacho

MelGold -- her famous (and beautiful) mango mold

cucas87 -- mojito salad (vegetarian, but alcoholic) and possibly a Thai beef salad

jjl -- smoked baked beans or cole slaw

legant -- toasted pita bread salad

Gubeen -- som tam

Pat -- tabbouli and a couple of loaves of bread

holdtheline -- roasted corn and tomato salad (vegan)

NCPinDC -- fruit

goldenticket -- quinoa salad

Nadya -- Thai shrimp and rice (maybe)

squidsdc -- chilled tomato & bread soup

Rissa P -- jasmine rice

Desserts:

MelGold -- cookies of some sort

Barbara -- cheesecake

ScottJohnson -- kid-friendly jello cubes

Ferhat Yalcin -- cookies, possibly citrus-flavored

SunshineE -- pie, probably lemon meringue or apple

Walrus -- cupcakes

hm212 -- brownies

pidgey -- cake (?)

bnacpa -- insane brownies

LaShanta -- cupcakes

paula -- cookies

RaisaB -- some type of dessert

porcupine -- possibly a surprise dessert

Rissa P -- tres leches (if time permits)

Appetizers/Drinks/Other:

hillvalley -- salmon mousse

Escoffier & Grover -- kim bap (Korean sushi)

StephenB -- not-yet-famous deviled eggs with caviar

ScottJohnson -- deviled eggs, homemade pickles

crackers -- petits rouleaux d'aubergine farcis and oignon rouge et rhubarbe mini-tartelettes

ctay122 -- tarts (heirloom tomato tart, another onion, and one a surprise)

Monica Bhide -- spiced peas in flaky pastry

dcfoodie -- arancini and/or crostini

zoramargolis -- homemade chevre with lavender and fennel pollen, and either a Spanish or Italian sheepmilk cheese with homemade quince mostarda

RaisaB -- cheese

mktye -- an assortment of leavened & unleavended, primarily wheat-based carbs and California cheese

bbhasin -- shammi kabab :)

ol_ironstomach -- assortment of steamed dumplings and potstickers

starfish -- random bottles of wine

Jacques Gastreaux -- martian pig slop from hell

Tweaked -- beer

DanielK -- imported Scottish beverages

jjl – beverages (wine or beer and non-alcoholic)

Barbara -- wine and "Fancy Pants"

eating out -- beer

jparrot -- wine

hm212 -- soft drinks

pidgey -- non-alcoholic beverages

JPW -- fermented water with hops, malt and barley, bottled water, cooler

paula -- beer and/or wine

bbhasin -- Kaju Feni

DanielK -- soccer goals, ball, and jerseys for the kids

Daniel K -- some napkins and paper towels

bnacpa -- paper towels (4 rolls)

zoramargolis -- lavender

Ferhat Yalcin -- cigars and the urge to play soccer

ol ironstomach -- a medium 2-burner camp stove and at least one or two butane cassette burners

collije -- plastic cups, plates & napkins

Lydia R -- forks and plastic wine glasses (if any decent ones can be found)

Jacques Gastreaux -- cigars (3 or 4), folding chairs (1 or 2) and the big black plastic trash bag filled with all of the leftover paper and plastic goods from the last 2 picnics

Ilaine -- bowls, tablecloths, garbage bags and hand sanitizer

Pete -- mini weber grill (if needed)

Bringing a dish to be named later:

Tripewriter

Hannah

shogun

And, as always, please feel free to PM me corrections, re-categorizations, deletions, additions, changes, spelling errors, picnic food-related questions or if you are just too shy to post what you plan to bring. :angry:

And for those wondering who is coming to the picnic, below is the list of names I have so far…

(If your name is not on the list, it is not a big deal and you can certainly still come to the picnic. The main purpose of this list is to estimate the number of people attending – no one will be taking roll the day of the picnic. :) )

Al Dente - 2

agm - 2

babka - 1

Banco - 1

Barbara - 2

bbhasin - 2

bbq4me - 2

bnacpa - 3

clayrae - 1

collije - 4

crackers - 2

CrescentFresh - 4

ctay122 - 2

cucas87 - 1

Daniel K - 3

Demvtr - 2

dcfoodie - 3

Drive-by Critic - 1

eating out - 2

edstaut - 1

Escoffier & Grover - 2

Ferhat Yalcin - 1

goldenticket - 2

Gubeen - 1

Hannah - 2

hillvalley - 1

hm212 - 1

holdtheline - 2

Ilaine - 1

Jacques Gastreaux - 1

jjl - 3

jparrott - 1

JPW - 3

justdesserts - 1

LaShanta - 1

legant - 2

Lydia R - 1

MBK - 1

mdt - 2

MelGold - 1

Meshe at Eve - 4

mktye - 2

Monica Bhide - 3

Monique DC - 1

Nadya - 1

NCPinDC - 1

ol_ironstomach - 1

PandaHugga - 1

Pat - 2

paula - 2

pidgey - 2

porcupine - 2

RaisaB - 1

Rissa P - 1

ScottJohnson - 2

shogun - 1

squidsdc - 1

starfish - 1

StephenB - 1

SunshineE - 1

Tweaked - 1

Tripewriter & Walrus - 4

tross - 1

zoramargolis - 1

If you'd like to have your named added to (or removed from) this list, please post or PM me. Also, the number after your name is the quantity of people you will be bringing (including yourself) to the picnic. In cases where I was not certain of the number, I made it by default "1", but will be more than happy to correct it if are coming with friends or family.

For a tasting like last picnic's olive oil tasting, why don't we try a butter and salt tasting? Fancy pants butters (flavored, herbed, hand churned by Vermont spinsters, etc.) spread on crackers or bread slices, and an array of exotic salts to sprinkle on top. It's easy, not messy, holds up well in all kinds of weather, and the kind of thing even kids enjoy. Oh yea, goes well with beer and wine. No need to do a blind tasting, just schmeer, sprinkle and eat.
There is no good reason why Rocks is the only one around here who gets to have all the fun with butter. :)

Does anyone have a favorite butter they would like to contribute to the tasting at the picnic?

Gourmet butter. Exotic butter. Everyday butter. Imported butter. Domestic butter (rwtye is bugging me to acquire some Clover butter from California, the butter he grew up eating and that by which he judges all other butters). All are welcome.

And what about salt? Does sel gris "harvested from the pristine Atlantic seawater off the coast of Brittany, France" really taste better than Morton's kosher salt?

Guidelines if you'd like to bring a butter for the tasting are: one-half to one pound in quantity; salted or unsalted; plain or flavored. For the salt, a half-cup to a cup would be plenty and, as long as it is predominantly sodium chloride, it will be considered salt for this tasting.

If you let me know beforehand, I'll print up a nice little tag to identify your butter and/or salt contribution. But don't let that stop you from bringing an entry -- we'll have blank tags that can be filled out by hand on the day of the picnic. :angry:

Tasting substrates -- crackers (and before anyone makes the comment, no, not that crackers) and/or bread slices -- will be provided.

And what about salt? Does sel gris "harvested from the pristine Atlantic seawater off the coast of Brittany, France" really taste better than Morton's kosher salt?

A salt tasting might be interesting, but...how about (streaky) bacon?! Just how well does Hormel Black Label stack up against Whole Paycheck, various Amish markets, etc etc etc?

What say the masses?

A salt tasting might be interesting, but...how about (streaky) bacon?! Just how well does Hormel Black Label stack up against Whole Paycheck, various Amish markets, etc etc etc?

What say the masses?

My mass thinks this might be better put off until the next picnic when we have more time to plan it. :)

If the moon is in the seventh house, and Jupiter aligns with Mars, and I find myself with a lot of time on my hands, expect me to bring a most unusual dessert to the picnic. This teaser is also dependent on getting the right strawberries. :) Also, the roasted vegetable and couscous salad is likely to be ditched for a different vegetarian side dish.

There is no good reason why Rocks is the only one around here who gets to have all the fun with butter. :)

Does anyone have a favorite butter they would like to contribute to the tasting at the picnic?

I'll bring some of his fancy shmancy butter so you can all share in his fun.

I also picked up some Russian butter yesterday and the market in Rockville.

What say the masses?

I say: "Bring 'em on!" I plan to double up on my Lipitor that day, anyway. :)

Okay, all you undeclared/undecided picnic attendees, here are some things we need...

First of all, the masses have mandated more meat!

Such as:

chacuterie platter(s)

hot dogs/burgers with fixin's (I hear Wegman's makes a good dog)

sloppy joes or chili

And for our more veggie-centric attendees:

a green salad

crudités and dip

In the beverage department:

ice chests and ice

bottled water

Plus:

grills (?)

chairs and blankets if you want to sit outside the shelter on the nice grassy meadow adjacent to the picnic site

Last, but not least:

butters and salts for the tasting (the first to call a brand, gets to bring it!)

Also, we seem to have quite a few desserts, so if anyone who is planning to bring one would like to switch to something else, please let me know. :)

I have a few coolers I can bring.

Plus ice.

Also bringing

1. some butter from India which I picked up at the local store. I am not sure if its buffalo or cow milk.

2. black salt.

3. a very vile smelling ' Kaju Feni ' from Goa India distlled from a mash of Cashew apples.

PLease let me know about the coolers & ice

I have a few coolers I can bring.

Plus ice.

Also bringing

1. some butter from India which I picked up at the local store. I am not sure if its buffalo or cow milk.

2. black salt.

3. a very vile smelling ' Kaju Feni ' from Goa India distlled from a mash of Cashew apples.

PLease let me know about the coolers & ice

Shoot, I was hoping you might bring a bunch of those shammi kabob that we had the other evening. (Or are they called "yummy" kabob)

I will be bringing some type of chicken sausage from Costco--I'll have to look up what the brand is, but I know it's not the Adell (sp?) I think it's a spicy Italian sausage. And I'm also planning to bring "Chilled Tomato and Bread Soup" (Molto Italiano) :angry: I still don't know if I'll have use of the car or if I'll have to go the metro route, so quantity may be limited by what I can carry!

edited to add: Just checked the label, it's Han's All Natural Gourmet Sausage--Zesty Italian. For those who care, no antibiotics, nitrates, msg...or garlic :)

Are any vegans attending? I ask because while looking at the recipe for the salad I plan on making (couscous with orange, currant, and pecan), I realized that it's one ingredient away from being vegan. I can substitute olive oil for butter. Please pm me rather than taking space on this thread. Thanks.

I’ve decided to bring chicken and pork Adobo (not the Spanish version, but Filipino dish, usually brought at Filipino picnics-mdt inspired me to bring something totally different to most people’s palate :) )…maybe complete it with jasmine rice while I’m at it. If time permits, I can probably bring Tres Leches, too. Let this be a fun culinary experience! No grilling or stinky but yummy cheese for me this time! :angry: I look forward to meeting old and new faces once again! See you all there! :angry:

Just a quick note that is not authorized by anything other than the vodka tonic I just had...

I was reminded of this by a chance encounter with a picnic attendee this afternoon. While there is a fair amount of parking right at the site, it is not unlimited. Given the numbers that may be showing up, I encourage people to car pool where possible.

If there is a shortage of meat, I can bring burgers , hot dogs and accroutements. As I have decided not to go to Paris tomorrow, no stinky cheese for me either, I will still bring some desserts though.

Someone lemme know about the meats, it will be Hebrew National and Costco brand bugers, no Wegmans .

BTW, I am under the impression that somebody on this board had to shell out some $$$ to reserve the space. If true, will we need to throw some $ into the kitty?

Absolutely, thanks for the reminder. There will be a donation jar at the picnic to help defray the $135 reservation fee.

Before the thread gets busy with the posting of logistical issues (such as helpful hints in finding Fort Hunt and carpooling arrangements) here is the list for the last time:

Meats/Mains:

Jacques Gastreaux -- smoked pork shoulder with Eastern North Carolina-style BBQ sauce

eating out -- grandma's famous hot salami's

clayrae -- turkey tonnato (roasted turkey breast with tuna sauce)

Demvtr -- a big array of prepared/flavored tofu

jparrot -- smoked country ham

mdt & CrescentFresh -- homemade bratwurst

agm -- pernil (Puerto Rican-style roasted pork shoulder)

LaShanta -- barbequed chicken

paula -- barbequed chicken (possibly)

goldenticket -- grilled chicken breasts with dried cranberry relish

bbq4me -- a meat dish of some sort

squidsdc -- chicken sausage

Rissa P -- chicken and pork adobo

Sides/Salads:

Jacques Gastreaux -- roasted potato salad

porcupine -- vegetarian salad

MelGold -- her famous (and beautiful) mango mold

cucas87 -- mojito salad (vegetarian, but alcoholic) and possibly a Thai beef salad

jjl -- smoked baked beans or cole slaw

legant -- toasted pita bread salad

Gubeen -- som tam

Pat -- tabbouli and a couple of loaves of bread

holdtheline -- roasted corn and tomato salad (vegan)

NCPinDC -- fruit

goldenticket -- quinoa salad

Nadya -- Thai shrimp and rice (maybe)

squidsdc -- chilled tomato & bread soup

Rissa P -- jasmine rice

dcfoodie -- baked beans

Hannah -- squash casserole. (ovo-lacto veggie ok)

Desserts:

Barbara -- cheesecake

ScottJohnson -- kid-friendly jello cubes

Ferhat Yalcin -- cookies, possibly citrus-flavored

SunshineE -- pie, probably lemon meringue or apple

Walrus -- cupcakes

hm212 -- brownies

pidgey -- cake (?)

bnacpa -- insane brownies

LaShanta -- cupcakes

paula -- cookies

RaisaB -- some type of dessert

porcupine -- possibly a surprise dessert

Rissa P -- tres leches (if time permits)

Appetizers/Drinks/Other:

hillvalley -- salmon mousse

Escoffier & Grover -- kim bap (Korean sushi)

StephenB -- not-yet-famous deviled eggs with caviar

ScottJohnson -- deviled eggs, homemade pickles

crackers -- petits rouleaux d'aubergine farcis and oignon rouge et rhubarbe mini-tartelettes

ctay122 -- tarts (heirloom tomato tart, another onion, and one a surprise)

zoramargolis -- homemade chevre with lavender and fennel pollen, and either a Spanish or Italian sheepmilk cheese with homemade quince mostarda

mktye -- an assortment of leavened & unleavended, primarily wheat-based carbs and California cheese

bbhasin -- shammi kabab :)

ol_ironstomach -- assortment of steamed dumplings and potstickers

shogun -- two kinds of rockfish gravlax: 'normal' and 'incorperating the dream-Revelation theme'

starfish -- random bottles of wine

Jacques Gastreaux -- martian pig slop from hell

Tweaked -- beer

DanielK -- imported Scottish beverages

jjl – beverages (wine or beer and non-alcoholic)

Barbara -- wine and "Fancy Pants"

eating out -- beer

jparrot -- wine

hm212 -- soft drinks

pidgey -- non-alcoholic beverages

JPW -- fermented water with hops, malt and barley, bottled water, cooler

paula -- beer and/or wine

hillvalley -- berry infused potato drink

bbhasin -- Kaju Feni and ice

DanielK -- soccer goals, ball, and jerseys for the kids

Daniel K -- some napkins and paper towels

bnacpa -- paper towels (4 rolls)

zoramargolis -- lavender

Ferhat Yalcin -- cigars and the urge to play soccer

ol ironstomach -- a medium 2-burner camp stove and at least one or two butane cassette burners

collije -- plastic cups, plates & napkins

Lydia R -- forks and plastic wine glasses (if any decent ones can be found)

Jacques Gastreaux -- cigars (3 or 4), folding chairs (1 or 2) and the big black plastic trash bag filled with all of the leftover paper and plastic goods from the last 2 picnics

Ilaine -- bowls, tablecloths, garbage bags and hand sanitizer

Pete -- mini weber grill (if needed)

Bringing a dish to be named later:

Tripewriter

So you all don't have to scroll through the thread looking for the information... A map and directions to Fort Hunt park can be found here. We have reserved picnic area C-2 for Sunday, June 4th from 12-6.

And, as always, please feel free to PM me corrections, re-categorizations, deletions, additions, changes, spelling errors, picnic food-related questions or if you are just too shy to post what you plan to bring. :angry:

Here is an attempt at some driving directions to the picnic.

If using the GW Parkway (the GW turns into Washington Street through Old Town and back to the GW at the beltway) the turn off for Ft. Hunt is 5.6 miles south of the Beltway. The entrance to Fort Hunt Park is 7/10 of a mile after the exit from the Parkway.

If coming from the Beltway, it's all screwed up down there with the bridge construction. You can no longer get on the GW Parkway directly from the Beltway.

Here is what I would recommend:

From either direction, take the Rt. 1 NORTH exit. At the 1st stop light, turn Right onto Franklin Street (there is an Exxon and a Hess gas station on each corner). Go about 3 blocks to the next light at S. Washington Street (Balducci's on the corner). Continue south on Washington Street past the beltway (mondo construction going on). The exit for Ft. Hunt Road is 5.6 miles past the beltway (when you see Waynewood Blvd., you are getting close). The entrance to the park is 7/10 of a mile after the turnoff from the Parkway.

PM me if you need any clarification or additional directions.

PS: If anyone is picking people up at the Huntington Metro, here are further directions:

Go east (towards the river) on Huntington until it ends (you will cross Rt. 1). Turn right onto Ft. Hunt Road. Once on Ft. Hunt, you will pass the Belle Haven Country Club on your left. At the end of the golf course there is a stop light at Belle Haven Rd. Turn left at the light. Go the end of Belle Haven and turn right onto the GW Parkway (Shell station on corner). The exit for Ft. Hunt Park is 4.6 miles down the Parkway on your right. The entrance to the park is 7/10 mile after you exit from the Parkway.

Beware of speed traps on Huntington.

The goat butter has arrived from igourmet.com for the tasting!

(along with some cheese for me- as an aside- i was very impressed with their service and the quality of the cheese.)

I will be coming from Takoma Park and have room for three additional in my car if anyone is in need of a ride...

Just a reminder, if you're bringing kids (and please do bring them):

The soccer (futbol, for the rest of you) equipment and I are not arriving until around 3:30. So make sure you bring other things to entertain your kids until then.

Side note to Jacques Gastreaux (pork shoulder), mdt/CrescentFresh (homemade brats), agm (more pork), and Rissa (even MORE pork) - SAVE ME SOME!!!

rwtye will be able to pick up a bunch of folks (up to 6) at the Huntington metro around 11:45. He will also be leaving the picnic on the early side if there is anyone who needs a ride back sooner rather than later in the day.

Also, another member has kindly offered a ride (for 1 or 2 people), leaving from the King Street metro.

Please PM me if interested in either of the above options.

I still don't know if I'll have use of the car or if I'll have to go the metro route...

I've made plans to rent a car and would be glad to do a Metro pick-up. Provided you navigate safe passage to/from the Commonwealth. PM me.

Here is an attempt at some driving directions to the picnic.

If using the GW Parkway (the GW turns into Washington Street through Old Town and back to the GW at the beltway) the turn off for Ft. Hunt is 5.6 miles south of the Beltway. The entrance to Fort Hunt Park is 7/10 of a mile after the exit from the Parkway.

It could also be a very nice bike ride down to the park - the bike path goes right by the entrance to the park. Of course, depending on what you eat and drink at the picnic... well, the ride back might be a little more challenging!