Dining At The Bar

JLK

Inspired by the chatter about Tom's Chat, I thought we could have a discussion about the best restaurants-with-bars in the area.

Obviously, I'm a big fan of Palena's bar. Dino and Notti Bianche also have great bars for dining.

Where else do you feel comfortable dining at the bar?

Great thread!

What I look for in bar dining is a place that is conducive to solo dining-- not a place where I'm going to be jostled about by people fighting to get to the bar, a place that's not too noisy (so I feel silly dining alone). I like places that are elegant, and just a bit dimly lit-- like Palena, my (and others' fave).

I didn't realize that Notti Bianche had a bar. I would definitely go there more often if it was closer to my work or home.

I had a really nice evening at Tosca a few weeks ago. Very elegant, great service, etc. (see my write-up in that thread).

Do you usually eat at the bar solo only, or with others? I find it awkward if there are more than 2 people. I have not sold my husband on bar dining yet, so when it's the 2 of us, we get a table.

Inspired by the chatter about Tom's Chat, I thought we could have a discussion about the best restaurants-with-bars in the area.

Obviously, I'm a big fan of Palena's bar.  Dino and Notti Bianche also have great bars for dining.

Where else do you feel comfortable dining at the bar?

Eve! Numero Uno, even when it's packed.

Vermilion, Corduroy, Galileo, Majestic, Atlantico, Oyamel (pus and all), Mendocino, Circle Bistro, Kinkead's, and Old Ebbit for oysters.

Bar eating I've read/heard great things about, but haven't been able to check out yet: Buck's, Cashion's, Citronelle, CityZen and Tabard.

Edited by Capital Icebox

As a recent convert to nonsmoking, I'm finding bars to be less and less pleasant places to eat.

However, early in the week, the Reef is reasonably smokefree and good bar eating. And the Tabard has a good bar that's smokefree until dinner service is over. Oh, and though it's been a while, I seem to remember Ten Penh as having a comfy bar to eat at--I think the low stools make me feel less precarious.

Not to start to sound like an ad for this place but...

I think Capital Grille is great for eating at the bar. They're good about service, always someone to talk to and they'll generally leave you alone if you want to be left alone.

I'm also a fan of Signatures -- quick, in and out, and yummy sushi.

Matchbox can be good if you can handle being bumped by the crowd -- the bar service there has always been efficient and friendly when I've eaten there.

And finally, I think Acadiana does a good job with bar service. I especially like the two little seats at the end of the bar (on the right if you're facing it). They're like little chopped stools and you can have a good meal there with a friend if you want a little privacy from the rest of the bar.

I almost always prefer the bar to sitting down in a restaurant -- you don't get rushed out, you can sit and have as many drinks as you want afterwards (often many in my case :lol: ) and people are generally friendly and willing to talk (and boy do I like to talk....)

As a recent convert to nonsmoking, I'm finding bars to be less and less pleasant places to eat.

However, early in the week, the Reef is reasonably smokefree and good bar eating. And the Tabard has a good bar that's smokefree until dinner service is over. Oh, and though it's been a while, I seem to remember Ten Penh as having a comfy bar to eat at--I think the low stools make me feel less precarious.

Eve is smoke-free, even in the bar, which is lovely.

Edited by Capital Icebox

Sonoma, Mendocino, Bistro Bis, Palena (of course), Circle Bistro, Kinkead's, Buck's, Belga (if it's not too full and smoky), plus scads of others I have yet to try.

Edited to add: Mr. Henry's on the Hill for late-night wings, burgers, etc.

Edited by Banco

Do you usually eat at the bar solo only, or with others?  I find it awkward if there are more than 2 people.  I have not sold my husband on bar dining yet, so when it's the 2 of us, we get a table.

Three seems to be a maximum, otherwise you can't really interact with your pals. I find bar dining great for romantic dining as a couple also -- since you're sitting next to each other and all. Can be cozy.

As a pair, it's also nice for enjoying places where you'd have to wait ages to get a table. When we were traveling to Charleston we even ate a three-course meal at the bar at Oak because it was the only way we were getting a seat that night. Tuna tartare, medium rare steak, and poached pears taste just as good no matter whether you're sitting on a chair or a stool. Plus, friendly bartenders make great wine recommendations.

[Edited to clarify the fact that I meant "romantic dining" with the one what brung ya, not whoever happens to be occupying the next stool over.]

Edited by jm chen

Eve is smoke-free, even in the bar, which is lovely.

But, alas, Eve is in the suburbs, and I live and work in DC central. One of my weaknesses is an utter inability to leave the city of my own volition. It was a big step for me to sign up for the Ray's dinner lottery! :lol:

I like the Reef, but it smells funny overall to me. Fishy like fish tanks. :lol:

I like the people watching at bar at The Palm at lunch. Chef Sang Ek has a great hand with his asian inspired stir-fry (not available in pm). If I am in need of old school red-table cloth italian, the veal parm. really hits the cheesy red-sauce spot. It can be a bit boys' clubby - but I kind of like that. And Kevin, the bartender is priceless.

The bar at Two Amy's is also a current favorite. Oh yes, must add voice to Marcel's choir.

My booze salesman father always made it a point to sit at the corner of the bar (where applicable) and in those circumstance 3 can be accomodated. But I like snuggling up with waitman alone best.

But, alas, Eve is in the suburbs, and I live and work in DC central. One of my weaknesses is an utter inability to leave the city of my own volition.

Ditto. You still have options. Dino is definitely smoke-free, and if Palena isn't, I certainly don't remember ever seeing anyone smoking in several years of going there. And both within a precious few steps of the Red Line.

Guards (the only place left on the planet that still serves Veal Oscar!)

I love the bar stools there.

Count me as another who prefers to eat at the bar. That said, Danny made a good point on the chat thread about why a solo woman might not want to sit at the bar.

Aside from each having their own great specialties and depending on what you’re in the mood for, these are my first impressions for each place (in random order):

Mandarin Hotel and 2941, open-air feel

Charlie Palmer, “power scene” (love that solo floating vase effect!)

Notti Bianche, very cozy atmosphere

Michel Richard’s Citronelle and Marcel’s for high-end, friendly cheers

Vermilion, “Friends-like” neighborhood bar, let’s-get-together and gather around those comfy couch

Poste and IndeBlue, modern and hip

Sushi-Ko for some serious sushi action

Makoto and Montmarte, something quaint

Palena for some serious good bar menu

Restaurant Eve, cozy ambience, great, creative cocktails

I still have yet to experience Firefly, Sonoma, and Circle One and I’m sure I’m missing a lot more…

I am definitely "pro-bar" when it comes to eating dinner out. Sitting at the bar, you generally get a great view of the inner-workings of the restaurant, a chance to converse with other patrons, quick refills on those "adult" beverages, and, in my opinion, some of the best service available. At several of my favorite places in town I have barely graced a seat in the dining area - always opting for a comfy bar-side stool.

I like eating at the bar at Citronelle (and lobster-burgers when available!), the bar at Corduroy, the bar at Eve, and the bar at Dino (Chris is fantastic!)

For special occasions, its to the tables, but on your regular everyday dinner out, the bar is hard to beat!

Edited by Jlock

The bar (area) at Taberna del blah blah blah is great. The bar itself is a little too narrow to enjoy a full spread, but as many know already the man behind the bar is a star.

And...

If you can get one of the four seats at 1789, you're lucky. The bartender, Shake, is outstanding and a great conversationalist.

I really do have an affinity for that bar. The bar itself was the original receptionist desk at The Evening Star long ago.

In addition to many of the other bar-seating restaurants already mentioned, we've always had an enjoyable time eating at the small bar at Bethesda's Persimmon. Same menu as the dining room, and very relaxed and unassuming. We've usually ended up at the bar on a spur-of-the-moment visit that coincided with a full reservation book, but we might as well start heading directly to the bar in the first place.

All--

In an effort to avoid traffic back to VA tonite, I'm staying in the city and having dinner. I was hoping for either a link to a thread on DR about restaurants that have good bar menus (for example, I just read here about the Cityzen bar). I know most places have bars (having been to a fair number of restaurants), just wanted some thoughts...or is it safe to say that any of these restaurants (like Cafe Atlantico, Palena, etc) all have bars and serve a smaller/cheaper version of their menus.

Couple of constraints:

1. In DC somewhat near a metro (e.g. no G-Town)

2. Price not that big a deal (esp. if at the bar)

And, if there is already a thread on this topic, please point me to it and then Don can delete this post if it's redundant.

Thanks in advance

Nashman

From a previous post by Joe H:

Kinkead's is as good of a restaurant as you will find anywhere to have dinner at the bar: everything is available. And, at any time, a dozen or more people will be having dinner there. My wife and I go every several months without a reservation and enjoy having dinner at their bar. The dining room surrounding it is also first come, first serve.

This is an outstanding restaurant, a James Beard award winner, that does not receive nearly as much attention on this board as it deserves.

I've been having lunch at the bar at Kinkead's about once a week for the past couple of months, and have come to love it, but to regret the expense. Don't go looking for a lower-priced alternative to the dining room: the menu, and the prices, are the same. Having just lunched there today, I can report that the lobster corn bisque they're dishing up is very good. And it's a very pleasant place.

Hardly a gourmet destination, but when I was living in Denver I'd stop at the Palm every now and again for some red meat, Plan Fries and gin. It's a small enough bar that friendliness is encouraged and there always seemed to be someone two martinis (not too many martinis) into the night and ready to chat, if you were in a chatting mood, and ready to leave you alone if you weren't.

Has anybody mentioned Marcel's, btw? Jazz on the piano, bar menu and access to Weidemayers entire oeuvre should one feel like dining expansively and expensively.

Do folks have new favorite places to add to this thread?

CityZen ($50 3-course)

Citronelle (yes, still)

BourbonSteak (great ($14) mixed drinks, superb hamburger)

Hook (good wines by the glass, full menu)

Marcel's (the nicest bar in town, elegant menu)

Blacksalt (sterile atmosphere, good stews)

Maktoto (for omakase)

Et Voila! (so they say)

2 Amys (squeeze in if you can)

Enology (for buffalo frogs legs)

Surfside (cheap, good Tex-Mex seafood)

Comet Ping Pong (good beer, good pizza)

Palena (you know...)

Dino (great wine, simple, clean dishes)

New Heights (great things coming)

Bistrot du Coin (the food is lame but so what)

Firefly (somewhat sterile, but the food is good)

Tabard Inn (somewhat funky, but the drinks are good)

Commonwealth (great beers, fried chicken)

Cashion's Eat Place (one of the best bars in town, good wines, good food)

Vidalia (happy hour specials, flatbreads, great burger)

Teatro Goldoni (half-price bottles of wine until 7 PM)

Spezie (bar snacks)

Taberna del Alabardero (tapas, great wines by the glass)

Hudson (one of the nicest bars in town)

Kaz Sushi Bistro (for sushi)

BLT Steak (order low-end, get all the condiments free)

Tosca (half-price pastas)

Brasserie Beck (beer, Belgian plates)

Central (lively, good food)

Corduroy (quiet, refined)

Belga Cafe (good beer and wine, decent Belgian)

The Source (pizza)

Raskia (small Indian plates)

Cafe Atlantico (margueritas and guacamole)

Oyamel (tacos and guacamole)

Proof (if you can get a seat)

PS7's (for hot dogs)

Cork (for anything and a glass of wine)

That should help you with DC proper.

That should help you with DC proper.

Awesome. This is the second post in two days that's made me think "This is why I love dr.com" (the first was this one).

I'll add a couple - I've gotten my fix for Ethiopian many times at the bar at Dukem, and had good times. The white guy eating kitfo always seems to spark some conversation. And the bar at 1905 on 9th St. has been a friendly place to grab dinner on occasion. Food's pretty decent there, too. I'm surprised Bar Pillar didn't make this list. I've always had great meals there, and they certainly welcome dining at the bar if you can squeeze in. I sure hope the quality doesn't fall off with Adam's departure.