Dining in Old Town Alexandria

A friend of mine is in town and we plan to meet tomorrow night in Old Town. It's been ages since I've been there.

Any recos for a place that would be under 100 bucks for two people, assuming an appetizer, two mains, and a couple glasses of wine? (not a bottle as I have a loooooooong drive home).

I know we can go to the Union Street Pub... hate Fishmarket... a few places I know about are rather spendy...

thanks!

thank you! that looks good.

after I posted I did a little searching... I found "restaurant pages" (can you tell I am a newbie??)

and here are a few that looked interesting, if this helps narrow it down.

http://www.vermilionrestaurant.com/htdocs/dinner.html

http://www.maithai.us/

http://www.cafesalsarestaurant.com/html/dinner_menu.html

http://www.alalucia.com/index_files/Page595.htm

http://www.southside815.com/menus.asp

http://www.100king.com/menu/index.php

ps. outdoor seating is a bonus too - especially if the nights remain as nice as this!

thank you! that looks good. after I posted I did a little searching... I found "restaurant pages" (can you tell I am a newbie??) and here are a few that looked interesting, if this helps narrow it down.

http://www.vermilionrestaurant.com/htdocs/dinner.html

http://www.maithai.us/

http://www.cafesalsarestaurant.com/html/dinner_menu.html

http://www.alalucia.com/index_files/Page595.htm

http://www.southside815.com/menus.asp

http://www.100king.com/menu/index.php

ps. outdoor seating is a bonus too - especially if the nights remain as nice as this!

Vermilion is very good (no patio or outdoor seating), Al a Lucia is a moderate Italian with a decent wine selection. Southside 815 has good Southern food and a patio on Washington St. 100King is a mezze (small plates) place with a lot of variety in the foods served and again a decent wine list. Vermilion is on the higher end along with 100King. Al a Lucia and Southside 815 are on the more moderate scale. Mai Thai is reasonable but the room can be noisy and the service can be a bit iffy at times. 100King is noisy downstairs so either eat upstairs or in the sidewalk area (exhaust fumes have never been one of my favorites). Southside 815 can be smoky at times (you enter and the bar and smoking is on your left), seating is on your right. Sometimes there's a bit of smokiness at the entrance but you can get past it. Hope that doesn't add more confusion to your decision. Personally, I'd rank them like so:

1. Vermilion/Majestic Cafe

3. 100 King

4. Southside 815/Al a Lucia

6. Mai Thai

I can't really say anything about Cafe Salsa because I've never eaten there.

Any recos for a place that would be under 100 bucks for two people, assuming an appetizer, two mains, and a couple glasses of wine? (not a bottle as I have a loooooooong drive home).

It's VA. You can pack up your unfinished bottle and take it home. (Just check ahead of time to see that they don't charge you for "re-corking" like some crappy joints will do.)

I've been to Cafe Salsa a number of times (at one point it was almost monthly). It's one of my favorite places to go in Old Town. Their mojitos are some of the best I've had and their tres leches is THE best I've had. Every appetizer I've had I've thoroughly enjoyed. The main knock on the place is that the entrees are -very- spotty. Sometimes they are okay, sometimes they aren't. I rarely order entrees at all anymore, instead getting 3-4 (okay, normally 4 but that's mainly because I have trouble narrowing it down) appetizers for the two of us and just skipping the entree altogether. You certainly will have no problem coming in under $100 there.

Bistro Lafayette - right next to Vermillion - is pretty good. Also, if you want to get real casual, you can hit up Hard Times for some grilled buffalo wings and chili (you'll be way under your $100 max there). Not sure if Rustico is technically Old Town, but it is close and quite good.

I like Landini Brothers-not great but reliably good. And, with a fair amount of ambience. One of many restaurants that I am surprised no one ever talks about on here. I like

Geranio too but there is a problem with noise when the dining room is full.

Edited by Joe H

I've been to Landini once. The ambiance was definitely there, the food wasn't. It certainly wasn't bad, it just didn't wow us at all. It's the kind of place that if someone wanted to go there I'd be up for it, but I doubt I'd be jumping to suggest it.

I like Landini Brothers-not great but reliably good. And, with a fair amount of ambience. One of many restaurants that I am surprised no one ever talks about on here. I like

Geranio too but there is a problem with noise when the dining room is full.

It has been a while since I have been to Landini's, but I would say that Joe is accurate. A reliable establishement, but not great.

Our fairy godmother (aka the Duchess of Duke Street) took us to Landini's for Mother's Day last year. I remember it only as not particularly memorable, but good enough. But then again, I didn't pay so it was more than acceptable. :)

Union St. Public House. Tables upstairs and in the raw bar area have nice views of Union St. You can get dinner REALLY cheap if you just want a sandwich/burger and fries. They serve entrees as well. Overall, a really pleasant place. Just avoid the stinky bar area if it's busy. You'll smell like an ashtray. I don't think you'll have any problems with available tables.

O'Connels Pub on King is pretty to look at but overpriced IMHO. I prefer Union St. anyday. WaPo review.

Majestic Cafe is always a solid choice for reasonably price and very good food with a southern influence. If they have the pumpkin soup still, do not miss it!.

Vermillion on King St.

Southside 815 has good prices and southern style food.

If you want a view primarily, there are the Chart House and Indigo Landing.

Personally, I'd do the Chart House keeping in mind there have been lots of service complaints at Indigo.

Just remembered Mai Thai. Haven't eaten there, but it's a slick looking place with nice views of the water upstairs.

Also, I'm virtually positive that all of the above restaurants are open today, but please call especially if you want to secure a window table.

Had dinner at the Chart House on someone else's dime last year. The view of the river, from where we sat, was blocked by a paddle-wheel boat being prepared for a wedding reception--not the most fun to watch. The food tasted pretty blah and mass-produced. There are other places in the same price-point that are much better. But folks sure wait in line for a table there!

While we're on the subject, my parents are going to be in town for the Scottish Walk, the first weekend in December. They'll be staying somewhere in or around Old Town. I've already lined up a table in Eve's Bistro for Saturday night, but I'm trying to decide where to take them Friday night. I'd love to take them for a drink at the PX, but I don't know if any of us want to get that dressed up. I was thinking about trying Eamonn's for lunch on Saturday, if it's not too crowded and if my dad's dietary restrictions (low sodium) will not be violated.

Had dinner at the Chart House on someone else's dime last year. The view of the river, from where we sat, was blocked by a paddle-wheel boat being prepared for a wedding reception--not the most fun to watch. The food tasted pretty blah and mass-produced. There are other places in the same price-point that are much better. But folks sure wait in line for a table there!

While we're on the subject, my parents are going to be in town for the Scottish Walk, the first weekend in December. They'll be staying somewhere in or around Old Town. I've already lined up a table in Eve's Bistro for Saturday night, but I'm trying to decide where to take them Friday night. I'd love to take them for a drink at the PX, but I don't know if any of us want to get that dressed up. I was thinking about trying Eamon's for lunch on Saturday, if it's not too crowded and if my dad's dietary restrictions (low sodium) will not be violated.

A couple of places that come to mind are Vermilion and Majestic. Further down King, Landini Bros. is perennially popular, Le Refuge is a stand by and while not in Old Town, Del Merei Grill in north Del Ray would do as well.

Also, a little out of the way but at 1201 South Royal is Bastille. We loved our appetizers and they have decent wine.

Although the PX is a place where you should dress I have seen a lot of people in there in nice sweaters, jackets, and jeans.

Uh, I think Bastille is on North Royal and PX is not open on Sundays. I don't know if Bastille is open on Sundays either.

Southside is tasty, best southern food in the area that I've had (certainly better than Georgia Brown's).

A great brunch place not too far off King Street is Bilbo Baggins, which serves homemade raisin bread. They also have a very good bar with a solid collection of beers.

Union Street Pub is a solid selection. And Cafe Salsa is good but not memorable.

Oh, and if you're looking for classy Broadway piano bar, try the Morrison House on St. Asaph. The piano player quietly works the crowd, the crowd surrounding the piano belting out classic Broadway tunes (think Guys and Dolls). Add to this a well-made drink from the talented bar tenders, and you've got a perfect parent evening.

Oh, and if you're looking for classy Broadway piano bar, try the Morrison House on St. Asaph. The piano player quietly works the crowd, the crowd surrounding the piano belting out classic Broadway tunes (think Guys and Dolls). Add to this a well-made drink from the talented bar tenders, and you've got a perfect parent evening.
Well, the drinks are still good, but the Broadway piano bar thing isn't what it used to be. Apparently singing now only happens on Thursdays - the source of much grumbling from the many regular (and talented) singers :( . Piano still goes on Friday and Saturday nights and the new policy is being tried out on a month-by-month basis. It is a shame, since the ambience was great, but if folks ain't drinking/eating one can certainly understand the larger (corporate Kimpton) forces at work in this decision. Add the fact that the space has competing uses - quiet, upscale dining room AND raucous lounge - and you've got some tricky wickets to manage. Sure to be more Old Town-scale drama to follow as this plays out :(

The Grille has a great weeknight (M-F) happy hour from 5-7 pm with several cocktails and wines by the glass for $5, and at least two beer choices for around $3. There is also a short list of food items for $5-6, including Oysters Rockefeller and some tasty truffled pommes frites. Even if dining at the bar, you enjoy the same flourishes as table service, including an amuse-gueule and a sorbet between starter and entree. Prices are a bit high - most entrees in the mid-30s, but Chef Dennis Marron has some nice things coming out of the kitchen. The updated version of the Waldorf Salad included butter lettuce and red flame grapes, along with the traditional walnuts and apples, and was tossed in a light but very tart celery aioli. A braised lamb shank with brussels sprouts and sweet potato gnocchi was nicely accented with a syrah sauce and a zesty (pun intended) gremolata. The lamb was slightly gamey, fork tender, and the accompaniments well-selected for the season.

Perhaps at some point, the lounge will become a full-time lounge, maybe with a more mid-range menu, and the serious dining will shift to the other dining rooms...

I read somewhere that a Bookbinders is opening this month in the old Portner's space. Does anyone know the details?

http://www.bookbinders.biz/

There's not much info in the old Portner's thread, but I can confirm that the Bookbinder's awning has been in place for a couple months now. There's a job posting in Craig's list, with no dates mentioned. The linked website doesn't mention the Old Town location. Another site does state that both Bookbinder's and the new Hotel Monaco (replacing the old Holiday Inn Select) are slated to open on January 21 (though I heard last night the Monaco opening may be a few days behind schedule).

Restaurant Eve

thx, i forgot to mention cathal has pleased my palate numerous of times, i think we're going to hit up farrah olivia, any thoughts you have on this restaurant? or do you know of any exquisite french restaurants with good banyuls?

Well, we have ma la (sichuan peppercorns) in Old Town now....but I'm not sure that's a good thing. Shanghai Peking just opened their doors in the Monarch development on North Henry. Probably not nice (or appropriate) to go very hard on them given the 48-hour old status of the kitchen last night. Ma Po Tofu was loaded with ma la, as was the Szechuan style Spicy Chicken, to the point of being unenjoyable/unpleasant. Certainly not applied in the deft manner of Peter Chang. The sauces were also gloppy and heavy on the cornstarch - not thick, but almost stringy. Hunan Vegetables with Bean Curd wasn't bad, but wasn't anything special.

The service was very friendly and sweet, so we'll give them a little while to settle in and then head back and try a few other dishes. Given their very close proximity to home, I hope things improve with a little time. If not, Red Mei will continue to be my go-to for cheap, quick Asian carryout.

A couple of items on the Alexandria Planning Commission's Docket for Nov. 4 seem to bode well for the pizza scene in Old Town :(

Hope things go smoothly for both applicants!

SPECIAL USE PERMIT #2009-0052

8. 118 KING STREET

PIZZERIA PARADISO RESTAURANT

Public hearing and consideration of a request to operate a restaurant; zoned KR/King

Street Retail. Applicant: Paradise OT, LLC represented by M. Catharine Puskar, attorney

9. SPECIAL USE PERMIT #2009-0051

902 & 904 KING STREET

REDROCKS PIZZA NAPOLETANA RESTAURANT

Public hearing and consideration of a request to operate a restaurant; zoned KR/King

Street Retail. Applicant: Firebrick Food Group, Inc represented by Duncan Blair,

attorney

And this might mean something going into the old Olsson's space:

106 SOUTH UNION STREET

THE RIVER HOUSE

Public hearing and consideration of a request to operate a restaurant, and a request for an

encroachment into the public right-of-way for a two story porch; zoned CD/Commercial

Downtown. Applicant: Strand Union Wales, LLC by Duncan Blair, attorney.

For something a little different try the Grape and Bean, wonderful small plates and killer wine.

Stopped by Grape and Bean today for a quick chardonnay (ZD 2008 for $13 a glass) and some time-killing browsing prior to dinner. This little gem has a small and narrow seating area, with a combination coffee counter and wine bar up front, some few seats down the middle and shelves of very interesting wine and beer all around, with an occasional artisanal chocolate or vinegar scattered around. The menu of small dishes to accompany the wine offerings included various charcuterie and cheese plates. My quick drive-by convinced me there was enough merit here to return and kick the tires in more detail. This is a pleasant little place where one can linger, enjoy a conversation, relax, or daydream. It is Old Town, if Old Town can be defined in a single establishment.