Restaurant Week - Winter 2007

crackers

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Has anyone gone to Circle Bistro for RW? We have reservations tomorrow and I was wondering if the entire menu is offered or if there will be a special one.

This year we are trying to stick to the $30.05 plus one glass of wine as we are dining out 4 nights this week. Has anyone been successful at doing this? We never have....

Heading to Cordoroy on Saturday night....what should I get???

If you read the Corduroy thread I think just about every item has been mentioned as a 'must get' at one point or another. Go with what you feeling like eating that night and you will be happy.

Has anyone gone to Circle Bistro for RW? We have reservations tomorrow and I was wondering if the entire menu is offered or if there will be a special one.

This year we are trying to stick to the $30.05 plus one glass of wine as we are dining out 4 nights this week. Has anyone been successful at doing this? We never have....

This might be too late, but check out my post in the Circle Bistro thread with a review from last night.

i'm not heading to farrah olivia until thursday so i'd love to hear feedback from those who go before then!!!!! :P
See you there :D I'll also be interested in hearing from anyone who might be there before Thursday.

Doesn't seem like a good sign that Bastille is offering 1,000 Open Table points for reservations during RW (well, it is just for those prior to 7:00 pm). Anyone been there lately?

Is it certain that Farrah-Olivia is extending their restaurant week?

Yes. I just called and spoke to Stephanie. She confirms this.

I apologize for not confirming sooner, but my attempts to call yesterday afternoon met with an answering machine. Let the reserving begin! Again.

Stunning. I just received a text-message on my cell phone from Posh. I have never been there, and the only way I can think of that Posh obtained my number is through OpenTable. The message, which originated from "Poshdc@c.nitetxt.com" (that's not a misspelling on my part, by the way), states: "(Restaurant week at Posh) Amazing 3 course fine dining meal at $30.07. Limited reservations available! 202-393-0975 (January 9th - 14th)"

Amazing?

I will, of course, be completely and utterly damned if I will respond to this text-message spam, and Posh now drops to the absolute bottom of my list of restaurants worth trying. If any other restaurateurs are contemplating using this form of advertising, please decide in the negative.

See you there :P I'll also be interested in hearing from anyone who might be there before Thursday.

Doesn't seem like a good sign that Bastille is offering 1,000 Open Table points for reservations during RW (well, it is just for those prior to 7:00 pm). Anyone been there lately?

We were there about three weeks ago and did the pre-theater dinner. Everyone enjoyed what they had but to tell you the truth we have ate out so much in the last three weeks I don't remember what we had. The pre-theater dinner for $35 gives you a choice of appeitzer, soup, or salad, an entree from among about four on the menu, and a choice of two deserts from the menu. The desert I ordered had run out so I was told I could have any desert of my choice. Don't sit near the door. It is quite cold every time the door is opened. I do remember the salad I had, endive, with cranberries, and a piece of goat cheese that was slighly cooked. The salad was excellent.

Stephen B, Grover and I just returned from Seasons at the Four Seasons Hotel in Georgetown. We had the RW menu which was limited to two appetizers, two entrees and two desserts.

The appetizers were a choice of either:

Two Celery Soup or Diver Scallop on a bed of very tasty corn and tomato salsa with a endive "salad".

The Entrees were either:

Salmon served on a mixed bean and veggie mix or Short Rib on mashed potatoes with finely sliced carrots.

The desserts were either a pumpkin cheesecake or Passion Fruit Island with fresh coconut.

I had the Scallop appetizer, the salmon and the Passion Fruit. Both Grover and Stephen had the Two Celery soup and the shortrib. The short rib was off the bone and a good sized piece of very tender meat. The salmon was brushed with olive oil and broiled (?) just long enough to give it some depth but not long enough to dry it out.

The three of us had the passion fruit for dessert with coffee (Grover and I) and tea (for StephenB).

Seasons wouldn't be a place that would normally jump to the top of my list of places I'd think to go for RW but after our experience this evening, I found it quite good and I think a return visit is called for. The service and the presentation, and the food is excellent, all in all, a worthy dining experience.

Going to Farrah-Olivia tomorrow for dinner. Am I going to be the first? Any field reports?

Not the first. We went tonight with high expectations, but left underwhelmed. I hesitate to say too much based on an early, packed Restaurant Week experience, but be forewarned that while the entire menu is available for Restaurant Week fully half of it has upcharges and serving sizes are rather small. The bread comes with four spreads - bok choi, sun dried tomato, pumpkin, and lavender honey butter - all of which we enjoyed. The amuse was a seafood stew, which was full of fish and nice. The preparations were pretty interesting, certainly visually appealing, but the food did not blow us away. The fritters were probably our favorite order. Nothing so bad that I'd recommend avoiding it, but it felt like Restuarant Week in a relatively new, average restaurant. I didn't care for our server, but others seemed more impressive and the other staff we dealt with were really quite nice. I doubt I'll go back. I hope others have better experiences and post about them.

Went to Oceanaire tonight with friends, having been there quite a few times before. As always, the fish was excellently prepared and delicious. Only complaint- absolutley no vegetables served with the food, so I ordered steamed asparagus. Cost- $12. About $1/stalk. I think thats a bit ridiculous.

Also, Posh has tried to be my "friend" 'on myspace more than once. Sad.

I had a nice RW meal at Restaurant Kolumbia last night. RK offerred limited choices (3 apps, 4 mains) but most everything we tried was really tasty. We started with duo of soup and mini-butcher board. The mushroom soup was the clear winner of the duo which was served with what I believe was cauliflower flan, nice touch. I would have preferred to make my own selections from the butcher board. The mini version had keilbasa, smoked salmon, and something that I can best describe as duck bologna (can't remember what it was actually called.) The salmon was fresh, but the flavor did not seem right to me--the only low point in the meal. Mains were wild mushroom lasagna and veal with sweetbreads and lentils. The lasagna was incredibly rich and had great creamy texture. The veal dish was best for the lentils and for it's sauce, which I happily sopped up after I'd finished the meat. Desserts, pistachio ice cream and chocolate cake, were pretty good and service was excellent.

I had a nice RW meal at Restaurant Kolumbia last night.

Remember this bit from Highlander: an immortal could always sense another immortal in the area. Well, I had a similar experience at Restaurant Kolumbia last night.

Mid way through my mini-butcher board, I got this strange sensation. A tingling feeling. I looked up and around the room. Why was my pulse racing? Why did I feel lightheaded? What was going on? I shrugged it off and finished my kielbasa.

While sharing entrees with my dinner companions, it hit me again. Initially I attributed these heady moments to the crab & scallop mousse. Or the bite of sweetbreads I was able to grab. No, this was quite different. I was flushed. My palms were sweaty. I had trouble breathing. I quickly looked up from my plate (my dining companions have a habit of stealing food if your attention is distracted for more than four seconds) and inspected the room. It was then that I realized – there’s another Rockwellian here! I scanned the tables, examining the diners and their actions. Who was it? Do I recognize anyone from the $20 Tuesdays or the DR.com picnics? What did s/he look like? How do you identify a fellow foodie in the middle of RW?

By the time dessert arrived, I had a heighten sense of consciousness. The feelings were overwhelming. The lights were bright. The room was swimming. I had to get out of there! I asked for my dessert to be boxed. By the time I had gathered myself together, my two dinner companions were well into their chocolate dessert. They exhibited no concern – what so ever – for my well being, concentrating instead on their desserts, as I rushed from the table, (Cruel, heartless foodies!)

It was only when I hit the cool, brisk nighttime air did I finally get any relief. Now I find out chickenlover was there as well. Was this a Highlander moment? Or was I in the throes of the flu? You be the judge.

I am so angry at my job right now! It's caused me to have to cancel dinner reservations for 1789 AND lunch reservations for Corduroy! (btw, I just not cancelled a noon lunch for 8 people at Corduroy in case anyone wants to pick it up at the last minute). Fingers crossed that nothing comes up to mess up my Oceanaire dinner tomorrow evening! I'm now thinking of just dropping in at Corduroy on Friday to try to eat at the bar or something.

Also looking for the scoop on Rasika (going for Thurday dinner). I did look at the RW menu, which is posted on the web site, but still looking for suggestions.

Lovely experience with good food last night. Very friendly service -- the menu doesn't explain anything, so the waiter had to take us through step by step.

No time for the full review right now, but in short, do not miss that fried spinach stuff in the appetizer department, and major points to both the black cod and chicken makhani. The cod has very little sauce and the makhani has tons so that's something to take into account when making your decision.

Bastille isn't participating in RW, however. I still haven't been, but I hope to check it out soon.
Oops...I must have been in the general search on Open Table when I saw Bastille listed. Seems even stranger that they're offering bonus points for what should be the pre-theater dining timeframe. Oh well, I need to try it out one of these days myself.

Oval Room last night - very good. First time there and we were impressed. They have a special RW menu - different than regular menu, but still with about 4-5 options per course and no upcharges. It is under the events section of their website. The arugula salad with crumbled bits of goat cheese and mango was nice. The app winner was the cauliflower soup with blue cheese, coconut milk, and other strong flavors - something good and different. Mains - taking the host's suggestions we had the short rib and the salmon. Heard the salmon was good, nothing to amazing though. I had the the short rib and it was very nice tender meat accented by a citrus gremolata on a cushion of creamy polenta. My first time eating short rib and it was enjoyable but a few of the outer charred pieces were stringy - not sure if this is normal or not for this cut. Good dish though. Desserts - I went with the chocolate mousse which was two scoops surrounded by candied hazelnuts - which you could taste in the mousse two and various berries. Rich and good. The pumpkin bread pudding was more like a mini pumpkin cake surrounded by creme anglaise - pretty good. I only had a bite, but I'd say the winner was the sauteed pineapple with banana ice cream. It was delicate and the flavors blended so well. Definitely something different that is more creative than desserts you usually find. Service was great. The two rooms are both very nice too, although some of the tables are packed in tight.

Stephen B, Grover and I just returned from Seasons at the Four Seasons Hotel in Georgetown. We had the RW menu which was limited to two appetizers, two entrees and two desserts.

The appetizers were a choice of either:

Two Celery Soup or Diver Scallop on a bed of very tasty corn and tomato salsa with a endive "salad".

The Entrees were either:

Salmon served on a mixed bean and veggie mix or Short Rib on mashed potatoes with finely sliced carrots.

The desserts were either a pumpkin cheesecake or Passion Fruit Island with fresh coconut.

I had the Scallop appetizer, the salmon and the Passion Fruit. Both Grover and Stephen had the Two Celery soup and the shortrib. The short rib was off the bone and a good sized piece of very tender meat. The salmon was brushed with olive oil and broiled (?) just long enough to give it some depth but not long enough to dry it out.

The three of us had the passion fruit for dessert with coffee (Grover and I) and tea (for StephenB).

Seasons wouldn't be a place that would normally jump to the top of my list of places I'd think to go for RW but after our experience this evening, I found it quite good and I think a return visit is called for. The service and the presentation, and the food is excellent, all in all, a worthy dining experience.

M'sieu Escoffier has it just right. I recommended the place not so much for the food but for the ambiance -- the widely spaced tables, that enormous bay window, the professional service, the free valet parking. My theory is that RW is a good time to try new dishes, but also to feel pampered. The balance changed when the food turned out to be so tasty, beautifully prepared, pridefully presented. Although the choices were limited, the dining itself was reason enough to go. And that window! It reminds me of a place whose name I can't remember across the street from the Serpentine.

I had RW dinner at Tosca last night with 2 friends. It was a very nice experience. Great service and good food. The entire menu is available for RW and there are very few upcharges (I think only 2 entrees had upcharges). I was able to stay within the $30.07 menu nicely. For apps: spicy calamari (very tender calamari on some kind of grain in a mildly spiced sauce); cheese ravioli in a butter and cream sauce (too good to be missed and my friend was nice enough to share a bite) and grilled baby octopus (very good as well). For mains we had: branzino (delicious but a small portion); housemade pasta with seafood (very good and a large portion) and risotto with seafood (Much too rich to eat as an entree but delicious and perfectly cooked). Desserts: my friends each had the chocolate cake with cherry sauce and I tried the profiteroles (ok, not great). Our dinner last night was a 3-way birthday celebration. Our waiter overheard us mention that fact and when the desserts were brought to the table, each one had a candle in it (and thankfully, no song was sung). It was a lovely night. I'm not sure how often I'd go back to Tosca, mainly because while the space is very large, the tables are fairly close together and the restaurant was packed last night, which made the night a little less than relaxing.

Any more reports from Farrah Olivia??

i just spoke to a friend who went earlier in the week and they said the same thing as youngfood: left underwhelmed, unnecessary upcharges, no standouts worth remembering... they said that they would not go back for the full price menu as it would not be worth it.

they also mentioned that the upcharging seemed more by principal rather than purpose; the upcharges were so small, a couple bucks, that you wondered why they even bothered.

i'm really bummed as this was what i was really looking forward to for thursday but now i'm not so sure.

Am I the only one who finds this a bit fishy?

I went to Bistro Bis for restaurant week and had a very unpleasant experience... the waiter was patronizing and wanted to be our best friend, shaking our hands and fawning over us. He rushed us to order even though we told him we wanted to enjoy our drinks first. He attempted to take away a half filled drink before it was finished, told us to order an appetizer so we would have some food in our stomach while drinking, and finally, when we ordered an after dinner glass of wine, he brought us a $14 and an $18 glass. Obviously, he was trying to increase the bill over the $30 preset amount. The food was mediocre but the experience with the waiter was enough to make us not want to return. The manager apologized for the waiter and added "Well, Restaurant Week isn't the best time to try out a restaurant." Duh - isn't that its purpose?

So they ordered an "after dinner glass of wine" without specifying which one? This smacks of "amateur week" to me, and staff at Bis perhaps committed the error (and it is of course a real error) of failing to conceal their disdain. And how is "patronizing" equivalent to "wanted to be our best friend." Nadya?

went to Bistro Bis for restaurant week and had a very unpleasant experience... the waiter was patronizing and wanted to be our best friend, shaking our hands and fawning over us. He rushed us to order even though we told him we wanted to enjoy our drinks first. He attempted to take away a half filled drink before it was finished, told us to order an appetizer so we would have some food in our stomach while drinking, and finally, when we ordered an after dinner glass of wine, he brought us a $14 and an $18 glass. Obviously, he was trying to increase the bill over the $30 preset amount. The food was mediocre but the experience with the waiter was enough to make us not want to return. The manager apologized for the waiter and added "Well, Restaurant Week isn't the best time to try out a restaurant." Duh - isn't that its purpose?
Am I the only one who finds this a bit fishy?

So they ordered an "after dinner glass of wine" without specifying which one? This smacks of "amateur week" to me, and staff at Bis perhaps committed the error (and it is of course a real error) of failing to conceal their disdain. And how is "patronizing" equivalent to "wanted to be our best friend." Nadya?

You always have to try to read between the lines one these things, but it appears to me that both sides contributed to the problem. The manager's "not the best time" was colossally dumb, though if he'd finished instead with the phrase "linger after dinner" he would have probably been right. Ordering the wine without specifying is always dicey, but -- despite the fact that Bis's btg selections can be pricey -- this has the look of the waiter running up the tab. The waiter sounds so smarmy that I personally would have dry heaved at the table, but maybe he's just one of those touchy-feely types.

Maybe there should be a handbook for restaurants and customers that needs to be read and a pledge to be signed by both parties. "I will be nice to RW diners even if deep in my heart I think they are as bad as penny-pinching tourists." And "I will realize that one cannot get the full experience of a fine restaurant on the cheap during RW and adjust my expectations accordingly."

Maybe there should be a handbook for restaurants and customers that needs to be read and a pledge to be signed by both parties. "I will be nice to RW diners even if deep in my heart I think they are as bad as penny-pinching tourists." And "I will realize that one cannot get the full experience of a fine restaurant on the cheap during RW and adjust my expectations accordingly."
I don't understand this. I know the point of RW is to get butts in seats in what is traditionally a slow time, but shouldn't the restaurant want to entice people to come back and pay full price? If you go and the service or food stinks then there is no incentive to come back at all.

And what's worse, a full dining room of people getting a discounted meal (and possibly ordering wine and/or extras), or a 1/4 full dining room of people paying full price? :lol:

(full disclosure - I avoid RW like the plague myself. Everyone seems to be in a bad mood.)

Look, pumpkins.

It's Restaurant Week. It's over 200 covers every night. We try to please really hard. When you adjust for volume, the number of dissatisfied customers during RW isn't that different from regular nights.

The waiter's manners are a matter of personal opinion. One man's patronizing is another's cordiality. They didn't click with the waiter, obviously. That happens.

No one likes to be rushed from the table, of course. But see above. It's Restaurant Week. It's over 200 covers every night. And the clash of civilizations we have here is this:

Diner: "How nice to sit down. What a posh place. God bless Restaurant Week. Finally, a chance to have a fancy meal."

Waiter. "It's 6.45 pm. Would be nice to have them out by 8 pm to turn the table. Let's see if they are ready for apps."

Oce again, for every customer who is annoyed with the offer to order appetizers there is another one who is annoyed with "but he didn't even offer us appetizers!" They obviously had a bad experience; I regret that. Adjusting expectations during RW is a very prudent policy but RW attracts a type of diners who are not always inclined to do that.

Lunch at DC Coast today with my wife..Our first time back in ages and it was great.

I had the Squash soup which was great...I though the coldish goat cheese pieces in it didn't work that well as they didn't add to the dish but the squach and pancetta chunks were great. Wife had chili which was good.

For Entrees we had Coated trout(me) and Salmon(wife) both were great.

Deserts were Creme Brulee and Bread pudding..Excellent

It was my birthday and they made it special. The lunch was very good, I'd abanded DC Coast in favor of Cieba and Courdoroy but was very pleased(and now stuffed)

Mark

Going to Farrah-Olivia tomorrow for dinner. Am I going to be the first? Any field reports?

Also looking for the scoop on Rasika (going for Thurday dinner). I did look at the RW menu, which is posted on the web site, but still looking for suggestions.

After much work and explaining everything to my dining companions (partially the restaurant's fault because the RW menu does not have ANY explanations, so we had to play match-the-menu-name from the regula menu to figure out what the heck things were), we finally ordered the spinach appetizer (which was fabulous--highly recommended) and the black cod and the fish curry. We hated the black cod. It had waaaayyyy too much vinegar in it and the vinegar totally overpowered the fish. The fish curry dish (with rockfish) however, was perfect. Perfect lightly spicy red sauce to dip naan bread into and really good, solid fish. I was sooooooo mad that I had gotten the black cod instead of the fish curry.

Be sure to give us a full report.

Peace & Blessings,

LaShanta

I don't understand this. I know the point of RW is to get butts in seats in what is traditionally a slow time, but shouldn't the restaurant want to entice people to come back and pay full price? If you go and the service or food stinks then there is no incentive to come back at all.

i agree with what was previously said on this subject: while there are some exceptions, in most places you are basically getting a free dessert during restaurant week, plus the choices tend to be less exciting than those on the regular menu. our dinners for two have generally hit about $120-$130 at restaurants where a meal at other times would be about $150. restaurant week must have snuck up on me this time, because i didn't realize it was even happening until a day or two ago, when vidalia was fully booked up. had a great dinner there on thanksgiving when we arrived back in town too late to join the family, which was gathering in the mountains near frederick. and corduroy has always been the place to go during restaurant week, as it is on christmas.

after a basically okay meal at circle bistro during restaurant week last year, we actually went back because we had expected something better, and it was, considerably.

tom sietsema doesn't really seem to think that highly of this promotion, and i think it has gotten a bit tired and the point is to get the butts in the seats, period. it's a money maker.

Do restaurants overbook, or allow less time per table during Restaurant Week? Because if they do, then the busyness excuse sounds like the same patronising BS that mandates crappy food and/or service on major holidays. Special price or no special price, that is not the diner's problem.

Do restaurants overbook, or allow less time per table during Restaurant Week? Because if they do, then the busyness excuse sounds like the same patronising BS that mandates crappy food and/or service on major holidays. Special price or no special price, that is not the diner's problem.

Exactly. If you don't want to do it right, then don't do it at all! And of course if you don't do it right, expect some criticism.

Most restaurants count on less time per table during RW, most likely because they are working with a more limited menu than normal, thus faster plating, etc.

During RW this summer, I had two distinct experiences.

At Curdoroy, I had amazing food, perfect, personable, unpretentious yet professional service and a well-paced dinner. Based on that experience I will definitely return to Curdoroy, RW or not. The second of my RW week dinners, however, represents what I think is more typical of that week, unfortunately (and is why I am not participating in RW this winter).

At Vidalia, there were substantial surcharges on about 50% of the RW menu, our server must have said "As you wish" at least fifteen times (at least providing unintended comic relief), as a party of six, each person's plate was cleared once the last bite was in, not once all at the table had finished, and the next course arrived in about three minutes. Being six people, with a couple bottles of wine, I was not particularly pleased that the entire night out was over in less than an hour (check dropped on table with desserts!). While I've had some very nice food from RJ on other nights at Vidalia - to me this was why I no longer "do" restaurant week.

My husband E and I had lunch today at Farrah Olivia. Since he is the professional writer, I will let you see what he wrote about it (with a little in put from me). I, of course, am CG.

"The first thing I noticed about the place is how small it is -- fewer than 25 tables. I didn't think we'd have needed a reservation -- it's a Wednesday, after all, & they serve lunch until 3 (our reservation was for 1:15) -- but ours was the only table open.

The place has a reputation for a slow kitchen, & it lived up to its reputation -- it took at least 30 minutes for our appetizers to arrive. We got bread, at least, which had four toppings -- honey-lavender butter, bok choy, tomato-basil & spiced pumpkin spreads. The first two were great; the pumpkin tasted like less-sweet pumpkin pie & the tomato tasted like tomato paste.

When our apps finally arrived, it was worth the wait. CG had duck confit with grapes, endive & Maytag -- excellent. The duck was perfectly cooked, and the Maytag & grapes complemented it nicely. I had the goat cheese potstickers with lemongrass broth & fennel, & -- disaster! It came with mushrooms! (E hates mushrooms!) CG offered to switch immediately, but I decided to give it a try & see if the 'shrooms bothered me, & they didn't. The potstickers were delicious, but the real highlight was the broth. I don't know how they could call it lemongrass -- it was rich & brown with no lemongrass flavor whatsoever -- but it was so good that we were sopping it up with bread. It was a bit too salty, but that's the only complaint, & a mild one.

Second course: soup/salad (neither of us were interested in the desserts, although they looked fanciful). I had the silky cream of Parmesan soup with root veggies & cinnamon spicing, which was absolutely delicious &, as advertised, silky. The cinnamon really worked well with the Parm. CG had a deconstructed Caesar salad. The romaine came on a sourdough flan wafer with a bit of dressing on top, with the bacon, more sauce & sardines in individual piles on the plate. The sourdough flan was really good, the rest of it was OK but nothing to write home about.

Entrée: I had Korobuta pork with honeyed cabbage & prosciutto jus which was … fine. The pork was perfectly cooked & nicely flavorful, just a little dull. CG had a salmon filet that came wrapped in caul fat and spiced with five spice. She said that it was the best salmon she'd ever had.

Overall, we were quite satisfied. The service was … not hovering, exactly, just a little chattier/needier than I'd like (asking if we liked each course a couple of times), but she was clearly a professional waiter -- not someone who was working their way through college or something -- so no real complaints there, either.

Friday: Corduroy."

Having lunch with some co-workers there tomorrow. Will report back.

I was there for dinner tonight. This was my first restaurant week in a few years as well as my first visit to David Greggory. All in all we were pleased with dinner. The entire menu is available with a number of upcharges, especially for the entrees. Three of our four appetizers were very good. The fish in chips were surprising light and well fried, the fried calamari was as good as you can find around here and the trio of deviled eggs "were not your grandmother's deviled eggs" as my friend said. Only the Mushroom, Almond and Manchego Cheese Croquettes was disappointing. There wasn't a lot of flavor, although the tomato sauce they were sitting on was fabulous.

For my main I had the steak with garlic mashed potatoes, green beans and a bacon based sauce. The sauce was fabulous and added flavor to the steak. This was the first steak I have ordered in a restaurant that wasn't Ray's in a while and I understand the difference now. The steak was fine, but the texture was grainy almost (I can't find the right word) and there wasn't a ton of flavor.

The hit of the night though, was A S'more in Greek's Clothing. It is A Chocolate Brownie "Souffle" between Two Layers of Phyllo, Homemade Marshmallow and Creme Anglaise. The perfect dessert. Crunch, chocolate, marshmallow all in one bite. I would go back just for dessert.