We have 3 days in Prague coming up in a couple of weeks. Of course we know that the beer will be wonderful, but I've yet to get much info on good places to eat. Anyone have suggestions?

This place is cool for a drink, views, people watching. Despite that it's not very attractive, I also liked exploring zizkov for local places, esp. if it's as crowded as it can be near the castle.

I haven't been in Prague for over 30 years but there are several places that are still there that you should definitely try. (I do have friends who have been there recently.)

U Stare Radnice (in Stare Mesto, near the Castle) has pretty good food and even thought there are lots of tourists, it isn't too expensive.

You should defintely go to Kavarna Slavia, not for the coffee or food, both of which are only ordinary and over priced, but because of the history. This is where Vaclav Havel and other dissidents formented revolution as Prague 77. the rest is history.

U Fleku is probably Prague's oldest and best known beer hall. Napoleon drank here. Again touristy, but good food and good dark (only dark) beer.

Otherwise, just find a nice cafe and sit and watch the people. Also, check out Prague Post, @ praguepost.cz for a good dining guide to Prague.

I'm envious as I remember my time in Prague very fondly (although I did gain weight quite easily there!!). I was there in 1997 so my recollections won't be all that helpful.

What I will tell you is learn how to say "knedlicky" (dumplings - not the filled kind, delicious), "pivo" (beer) and "pivnice" (PEEV-neet-sa; beer hall). I seem to have misplaced the Czech word for sausage somewhere in the deep dark corners of my mind.

I was in the Czech Republic to visit a friend, Jiri, from Dubi who was living on Vietnamska Street (Praha 6) while playing pro hockey in Beroun. I got to travel around with him a bit, check out local restaurants in two of the aforementioned towns and also try two iterations of Czech home cuisine. In Dubi, it got so that if I saw his non-English speaking mother reach for her massive soup pot, I would groan inwardly. Every meal for her (and many Czechs) begins with soup and is followed by mountains of other stuff. Like I said, I gained weight including five pounds one week.

My favorite meal of the trip was at a pivnice. The menu was entirely in Czech so, pointing, I asked Jiri "what's this?" "Skinny sausage," he said. "What's that?" I asked. "Fat sausage," Jiri answered. When I asked "How about that?" and Jiri said "Fat sausage with sauerkraut," I quit asking and told Jiri to order whatever he thought was best. We ate (and drank) well.

While Italian is very big in Prague this competes for the title of best local restaurant: http://www.restaurant-david.cz/en/about.php Prague is a truly beautiful, historic city and despite the horrible exchange rate for the US dollar it is still a relative bargain compared to, say, Paris or London. Also, while there, give consideration to crystal. The Czech Republic's (i.e. Moser Glass) is among the finest in the world.

On this page: http://www.restaurant-david.cz/en/index.php Click on "more details" and it will give you a 360 degree panarama of the room.

U Fleku is probably Prague's oldest and best known beer hall. Napoleon drank here. Again touristy, but good food and good dark (only dark) beer.

Go here. Refuse the shots of random liquor that they will try to foist on you. Believe me. You don't want any. But I remember the beer being quite good. I didn't eat, but here's the menu

Just go, sit on the old town square all day, and drink (and eat). Start at 11 a.m., and stay until night has fallen, or at least until dusk. Really. It doesn't get much better than that. There is no need to see the prague castle that dates to the 1300s. Pictures are available on the web. If you have time, rent a car and drive to postcard-beautiful cesky krumlov, where you will find good food, friendly people, and beautiful sites.

Refuse the shots of random liquor that they will try to foist on you. Believe me. You don't want any.

However, you can try real Absinthe while in Prague. Well, at least you could 10 years ago when I was there. You should try it once-- if just for the sheer effort it takes to get the fiery liquid down your throat.

Is the Chapeau Rouge still in operation?

Thanks everyone for the good suggestions. I have read about some of the restaurants you all mention, e.g., David, but it's nice to have people you "know" add their recommendations. :blink:

While Italian is very big in Prague this competes for the title of best local restaurant: http://www.restaurant-david.cz/en/about.php Prague is a truly beautiful, historic city and despite the horrible exchange rate for the US dollar it is still a relative bargain compared to, say, Paris or London. Also, while there, give consideration to crystal. The Czech Republic's (i.e. Moser Glass) is among the finest in the world.

On this page: http://www.restaurant-david.cz/en/index.php Click on "more details" and it will give you a 360 degree panarama of the room.

I'm not sure if I've become spoiled (probably) by my dining elsewhere, but I have to say I wasn't blown away. We ate there last night and our conclusion was, the chef there knows what he's trying to do, but none of his dishes get there. And some just miss entirely. An asparagus "capuccino" was overly sweet and asparagus didn't even seem like the primary vegetable; a millefeuille of crab and crawfish was thick with mayonnaise; quail was overcooked and salty; and a warm chocolate cake was dried out. (Apparently the scallops with balsamic vinegar were good, though...) The room was pretty, and I was impressed with the menu descriptions, but sadly, not as impressed with execution.

I was there in July and ate at Lokal from that NY times article, definitely worthwhile. Mostly of course, I drank and for that I recommend Hemingway's Bar (make sure you go here), Bugsy Bar and Bar & Books all had great cocktails and bartenders. Also there is a monastery the name of which escapes me on top of the same hill as the Prague castle where they brew their own beer and serve really good traditional Czech food.

We will be in Prague for a few days before Christmas. Any recent recommendations are welcome.

Was just there a few weeks ago. In the square in front of the Palladium mall they have spit-roasted pork, sausages, cheeses, and sweet dough rings baked over coals. The rings taste great with some of their glogg - very yeasty. They have a similar set up on certain days in the same square as the astrological clock.

ETA: Don't forget to try the Becherovka, and if you can find it there's a red-label Becherovka that you'll struggle to find outside of the Czech Republic.

The street food in Prague was wonderful. Some sort of porky, lovely, smoked, roasted ham that is served by weight and is yummy. Sausages. Fried spirals of potato. Cinnamon drough on rods cooked on open flame. Go to the big square and follow your nose. I also enjoyed all the Czech beers. You can buy beer in the square.

i found a cool basement level place between the square and the Jewish cemetery. Wish I could remember street names. If you follow a fairly direct tourist route from the square to the cemetery, look for a place just off a main street with rough-hewn tables and benches. The outdoor seating is at street level, and the restaurant is below. It's kid of a ritzy street, and the outdoor rustic setting should be obvious as different from the rest of the places. Order the ribs. You will get a huge pile of tiny pork ribs, simply grilled, with pickles and bread. Heaven.

I've never been to Prague, but am hoping to visit some time in the next year or so. I expect you can eat very well in Prague, especially if you like central European food, which I do. It's not opera season now, but if you go when it is, Prague has one of the greatest opera seasons in the world, with major productions in three different, very grand opera houses, the oldest of which, the Theatre of the Estates, is where Mozart conducted the world premiere of Don Giovanni, and where I believe they do performances of that opera every year. I'd be surprised if you can't get champagne and caviar during the entr'acte.

A generation ago, when the ruble was collapsing, you could see an opera in Prague for a dime.

If you like Pisner - or, I should say Plzen - the real, authentic stuff - Prague is the home of Pilsner Urquell and Budvar (the original Budweiser) - I'm not that current on them, but they're supposed to be night-and-day different there than here. Beer in Prague is as much a part of the culture as it is in London or Munich - first day there, get to Wenceslaus Square, grab a table at a cafe, order 1/2 liter, and contemplate how cool it is what you're doing.

Sorry I don't have anything more specific - I *do* have a good tourbook (a bit dated now) that you're welcome to borrow.

Berlin

Prague

Waitman (and Rocks), would you mind if I split the replies in this thread and merge with the existing threads?

Please do - this needed to start out as two threads.

6 hours ago, Mark Dedrick said:

Anyone been recently? 

It's been several years since I was in Prague. However, a friend who is from there and still visits regularly provided some advice last December for another friend who was visiting Prague. It's a fairly long document. I don't know if I should post 2 pages here, or email it to you.

Are you looking for general food advice or tourism advice too? 

I was in Prague in January. I highly recommend the Charles Bridge Palace Hotel if you want to stay in a pretty fancy hotel. Nearby, the even fancier Pachtuv Palace/Smetana Hotel has a wonderful little restaurant called the Café La Crème, where I had probably my best meal in Prague, a dish of grilled veal liver with an oniony-winey sauce and tiny little potatoes with little dollops of house-made mayonnaise for dipping, and a couple of glasses of excellent local red wine. Also a view of the river and the Charles Bridge and the castle across the river, along with a sleek, lovely interior and quietly excellent service provided by handsome waiters.

And yes, go to Kavarna Slavia, which is a charming place in its own right, apart from its history. It's directly across the street from the National Theater, and commands superb views. I had a bowl of very good soup there, which cost next to nothing, and gave me squatting rights for a couple of blissful, peaceful hours. Then if there's opera on, you have merely to totter across the street to claim your place.

• Like 2