What Are You Eating Right Now?

Heather

Yesterday was our every-other-month chicken pickup from a family farm. We were talking with the matriarch about the chicken fat we render after we break down the birds for freezing.

"Try popping popcorn in it", she suggested.

We just did. It's incredible, elevated even further via freshly ground black pepper.

*swoon*

(that's a flavor swoon)

(not a cardiac event swoon)

(everything in moderation, i promise)

Soup, made w/ T'giving turkey broth & leftover Hunan shrimp (& broccoli, mushrooms, bamboo shoots, & rice-I don't really Iike the crinkle cut carrots & green peppers)which was loaded w/ chili paste, so it actually makes a lovely soup...better than it's first incarnation, actually...

Slices of domestic Fuet, and a couple of precious ounces of imported jamón Iberico.

I don't think it's possible for me to go into A&H and only buy the thing I came in for, in this case a nice piece of bacalao. Also picked up more Ortiz anchovies since we were running low. The Iberico (alas, non-bellota, and machine sliced) is temporarily available, in addition to their usual Serrano.

Not eating it yet but I am beginning an effort to make chicken oreganata or chicken oregano, of which there are many recipes and variations on the web. It was the favorite dish of my youth found in Italian restaurants in NY and NJ. My fave were small pieces of chicken, bone in, broiled or grilled with browned outer skin, moist inside with tremendous flavors of oregano, lemon, and other seasonings. I'll work through a few variations until I get something close to what I recall. Anyone familiar with this recipe?

Not eating it yet but I am beginning an effort to make chicken oreganata or chicken oregano, of which there are many recipes and variations on the web. It was the favorite dish of my youth found in Italian restaurants in NY and NJ. My fave were small pieces of chicken, bone in, broiled or grilled with browned outer skin, moist inside with tremendous flavors of oregano, lemon, and other seasonings. I'll work through a few variations until I get something close to what I recall. Anyone familiar with this recipe?

This sounds a lot like chicken a la grande at Mosca's, an institution outside (way outside) New Orleans. Delicious. I believe they have the recipe available on their web site. It used to be a mafia hangout, and I grew up not far from there. The urban legend i heard as a child was that because there was so much mafia activity they didn't have a telephone on premises. When there was a traffic accident on the dark, desolate road in front, no one could call the police from Mosca's. You didn't want to have a wreck near there, although it was a frequent event when I was a small child.

I've been recently. The building is a dump. The food was delicious, and they have a phone now, and computers. My mother was actually crushed to learn that they had so thoroughly embraced connectivity, technology and marketing.

8593499652_4deb059680.jpg
Hummus with feta, topped with a sprinkle of smoked paprika. Served with rosemary pita chips.

Great minds think alike. I made hummus this afternoon--even sprinkled Spanish smoked paprika on it. No pita chips, though, just water table crackers.

Gefilte Fish & Matzo balls. So Nice to have a restaurant where I can get them... wait a minute, I rolled 350 gefilte fish balls and 400 matzoh balls so far!

My great grandmother used to buy live fish to make her gefilte fish. She'd get them on Thursday and put them in the bathtub, and then make the fish on Friday for shabbos.

แกงไตปลา Southern Thai fish innard curry from Duangrat's. Duangrat's grocery not the restaurant. I don't think you will ever see this on the menu at Duangrat's or Rabieng (or anywhere around here). Very strong taste, and very very spicy hot :) delicious.

แกงไตปลา southern Thai fishinnard curry. Lunch of champions! Pet mak mak>

y.b. flatbread. I love when I get inspired eating in a restaurant. Mr. MV and I ate at y.b. (younger brother) in Cape May, NJ a couple days ago, and ordered this flatbread.

Basically, pesto (I used last year's stinging nettle pesto), chorizo (I had sweet Italian sausage), caramelized onions, swiss cheese, gorgonzola cheese, Blue Ridge mozzarella (because I had it on hand and have to use it), and a Sriracha mayo sauce, using mayo, sriracha, capers, caper juice and roasted garlic.

It's really the Sriracha mayo that clinches this. Must. Use. More.

Just had a couple bits of farmers market items for dinner. First, some Lemon Rosemary Bread from Bonaparte with my salmon. Quite good, very lemony actually. Then some strawberries with vanilla sugar and whipped cream for dessert. Mmm!

Liverwurst spread on Triscuits. The dip/spread recipe is from The James Beard Cookbook. I forgot to put the onion in but didn't realize it at first because I could taste a slight onion flavor from the composition of the liverwurst I used. (Final ingredient on the package: onion powder.) The grated onion might have been overkill anyway (I'm telling myself). The spread is very good, extra onion or no.

• Like 1

Homemade vanilla custard ice cream, composed from Trickling Springs heavy cream, Jehovah Jireh eggs, Penzey's Madagascar vanilla pods, and the bedazzled delight of a teen who had never before created a frozen dessert.

Magic.

Oh, and tasty.

Sounds like an awesome dessert!- on the flip side, my son is making 'dirt' & a tatertot casserole for a class party tomorrow, & yes, he's doing the shopping & cooking, since he didn't remember until after this morning's trip to the store....

• Like 1

The Acela "cheese plate" -- Babybel Gouda, Cabot sharp cheddar, and Carr's water crackers. Washed down with a Dogfish Head 90 Minute Imperial IPA. I made my train with exactly one minute to spare so the dining options at Penn Station weren't an option. Anyway, you can do worse from the cafe car.