On a whim, what are you up to?

Guest All Dented

All right, you lightweights. I'm off to the Tabard and then will mosey Mt. Pleasant-wise or maybe alternative directions based on proximity to rail travel. If there's anyone can handle a little snow, post here or PM. In the mean time, I'll be seeing what Chantal is slinging on a snowy night.

I've got three racks of ribs and no guests. If anyone's in the area during Superbowl, come on by. ;)

With 32 inches of snow out front, my little red sports car could not move. With another snow storm headed our way Tuesday--Wednesday, you may want to save and reheat your racks. This is unprecedented and starting to be not much fun. But at least the Saints won!

I would be in for NOVA... or even DC. What did you have in mind? Metro access preferred, but if not will try to get the saab wherever.

Going to be in the Court House/Clarendon area...Liberty Tavern, Minh's, Hell Burger, Me Jana...open to suggestions...

Only if it took you more than one episode to notice it.. :P

No. I'm wayyyy behind after having refused to watch for, um, ever. I caved because I ran out of stuff during this damn storm! ;)

(Also my basic assumption is everyone is a Cylon or at least a hybrid. Therefore, I am never surprised when someone is proven to be one. Really limits the emotional investment, though.)

If I think Ellen Tigh on BSG is totally Lady Macbeth, is that a sign of snowverload?

(Totally food-related; humans call Cylons "Toasters" after all.)

Also, why is whiskey on sci-fi shows always bright radioactive green?

(Moving to Marseilles)

Actually, whiskey in the Colonies is the same color as the whiskey on Earth. The green drink you're referring to is actually "ambrosia," for which there is apparently no Earthly equivalent. ;)

Ambrosia2.jpg

Actually, whiskey in the Colonies is the same color as the whiskey on Earth. The green drink you're referring to is actually "ambrosia," for which there is apparently no Earthly equivalent. ;)

Hm. I think I was using 'whiskey' generically (my bad), after thinking of the Aldebaran whiskey Picard shares with Scotty in TNG (Relics).

Snow makes me even geekier.

Hm. I think I was using 'whiskey' generically (my bad), after thinking of the Aldebaran whiskey Picard shares with Scotty in TNG (Relics).

Snow makes me even geekier.

Fair enough. Romulan ale is blue (and illegal). The milk on Tatooine? Also blue. Klingon bloodwine is red, despite Klingon blood being pink.

In an effort to double the number of DR.com-related outings that bettyjoan gets to experience during her week back in DC, we're meeting up for happy hour around 6 p.m. at Againn, and we hope people will join us! ;)

Neat. Now I can stop thinking about all the songs I know with "Again" in the title and instead make the trek to Againn.

Plan to see you there around 6-ish.

(all the songs seem to be country)

(make it stop)

Neat. Now I can stop thinking about all the songs I know with "Again" in the title and instead make the trek to Againn.

Plan to see you there around 6-ish.

(all the songs seem to be country)

(make it stop)

Can I just say: KMango, Inox, bettyjoan, The Doctor, GennaroE, and some friends, plus Ed from Vidalia and his truly wonderful +1 ... thank you, because you all made this an absolutely fabulous night. (Also: Rachel Sergi, I am pretty sure it's my turn to to buy you a drink.)

I realize that I was not actually the draw for this happy hour, and instead people were excited about beer and tasty munchies, but THANK YOU to leleboo for organizing and thank you to everyone for coming! As an Atlanta resident, I have now been to twice as many dr.com events as when I actually lived here. Ha!

To get my mind off the phone-snatching, GennaroE has decided I need to go to Spice Xing for "curry-oke." :P

I admit I'm probably more interested in the tandoori wings than the prospect of getting up on a stage in front of actual people and singing. (Eep!) Please please please join us in Rockville from 9:30 on. No video cameras, please. ;)

Screwtop has recently instituted a Happy Hour on Tuesdays (5-7 pm) featuring a red and a white for $4/glass, (the red is an Italian -- forget what species, but potable), $4 cheddar and bacon bruschetta, and beers at a HH price (forget what price since I don't drink beer). Anyway, I plan to be warming a seat at the bar this afternoon as soon as I can leave this den of drivel.

Againn is doing some cool stuff for St. Patrick's Day: raw bar is turning into a Guinness station; Guinness, Kilkenny, Irish Coffees, and Irish Old Fashioneds $5 a pop, and a bunch of food specials including Guinness braised lamb shank and corned beef and cabbage. I'm planning to get there early (between 5:00 and 5:30) in the hopes of securing a seat at the bar before the masses show up. Anybody in the mood for celebration (or at least lots of food and drink) is more than welcome.

Edit: And feel free to shoot a PM my way if you'd like to join so that I can try to stave off the hordes and reserve a few extra seats.

Samadi Sweets Cafe in Bailey's Crossroads was good! They had other stuff too, but the desserts were great, at least from what I remember - this was only 7-8 years ago.

It's been nearly 20 years since I first visited Samadi Sweets Cafe, and every now and again I still try to pay a visit to Mirage Cafe (5916 Leesburg Pike), which is effectively what Samadi morphed into, following (IIRC) the divorce of the original owners. But tonight, somebody recommended Jerusalem Restaurant (3405 Payne St) for their sweets. I'm not sure how this place had previously stayed below my radar (well actually, their location well off the main road probably did the trick), but now I've got an itch to suffer a honey-and-rosewater-fueled comparo to determine whose baklava reigns supreme. Plus they're maybe a quarter-mile apart.

Thinking about checking them out in quick succession around noon this Saturday, starting at Mirage. (eta: might be too soon for that much sugar...I need to rethink this)

Edited by ol_ironstomach

While out strolling tonight I saw the most unimaginable, improbable, reason-defying and thoroughly wrong, just wrong, sight--La Perla with 30-35, maybe more, diners. If that is not a sign of how much we need Fabio back here, I don't know what is.

I think you should make La Perla an offer that they can't refuse, know what I mean? Convert that into Ray's G-town so yuppies in G'town can get something decent to eat without having to schlep across town or across the river.

was sansar one of the stores you were looking for? i know it's not where it used to be, around the corner from the ignoble barn of a bookstore. i believe there is an association, interior decor and otherwise, with new heights. or at least there once was.

Don't know the name but wasn't there a store that had a lot of throw pillows where Lululemon is now? Also, close to B&N was an eclectic furniture store with lots of unique stuff. We also liked the tableware store that's close to the defunct Levante's.

was sansar one of the stores you were looking for? i know it's not where it used to be, around the corner from the ignoble barn of a bookstore. i believe there is an association, interior decor and otherwise, with new heights. or at least there once was.

Don't know the name but wasn't there a store that had a lot of throw pillows where Lululemon is now? Also, close to B&N was an eclectic furniture store with lots of unique stuff. We also liked the tableware store that's close to the defunct Levante's.

---

I had actually posted this before, then quickly deleted it, because I didn't want to be a prickish moderator ...

[PM material! :lol:]