On a whim, what are you up to?

Guest All Dented

FridayFRIdayFRIDAY!!!  Monster Truck Raceway JAM!!!

Well, not exactly.  But a pre-sale tasting of Wild Grape's finest at Vienna Vintner, 233 Maple Ave East in lovely Vienna.  I think it's 6-9PM, but I'll double-check.  Please come.  Please?

Excellent. I live 2 minutes from that store. When I stopped in there a couple of weeks ago the guy helping me, I think it was the owner, was very good.

Look forward to stopping in. Is it still going until 9? I wouldn't get a chance to get down there until 7:30-8:00.

Just say you're a friend of Jena and Barbara's.  :P

Or call for a resie!  :lol:

Ended up sitting at the bar and had a series of splendid dishes selected by Chris and my pal Justin. And Chris did an awesome job pairing wine with our food. Lovely evening all around -- just sorry we missed you, Dean!

I was going to Pizzeria Bianco tonight, and got up at 4 AM to pack and drive to BWI to catch an early-morning flight, but after two hours of sitting around waiting for them to fix a mechanical problem, they cancelled the darned thing.

GGGGGGRRRRRocks.

(Who's going to the blowout tonight?)

I was going to Pizzeria Bianco tonight, and got up at 4 AM to pack and drive to BWI to catch an early-morning flight, but after two hours of sitting around waiting for them to fix a mechanical problem, they cancelled the darned thing. 

GGGGGGRRRRRocks.

In Phoenix??? My favorite!

GGGGGGRRRRRocks.

A little birdie told me that JG might be attending.

Already been discussed, look upthread.

Another opinion, possibly heretical, but here goes:

Active posters, the ones who keep the scene lively, should get 1st shot at places, versus lurkers. Too many of the DR stalwarts were denied seats at the Ray's dinner IMHO. So I propose that the more blue blocks after your name, the higher up the list you go. Seems very fair to me--that way, shrimps and lurkers will have more incentive to get involved in the discussion.

Edited by zoramargolis

Active posters, the ones who keep the scene lively, should get 1st shot at places, versus lurkers. Too many of the DR stalwarts were denied seats at the Ray's dinner IMHO. So I propose that the more blue blocks after your name, the higher up the list you go. Seems very fair to me--that way, shrimps and lurkers will have more incentive to get involved in the discussion.

[Nah... I want people to post here because they enjoy it, not because they're working for something. I've always tried to treat all members equally, knowing that some people just prefer to read rather than write. Cheers, Rocks]

Zora, do we really want to encourage junk posting? The great thing about dr.com is that it maintains a certain literate level (in contrast to, say, Chowhound). I prefer to read well-written, well- thought-out entries, like yours.

If there is one, those on the waiting list should get a first shot. :)

Don and I have discussed what the fair way is to include the most members a number of times. I believe we have found a system that worked and we will stick with it. It is up to the people who attended Ray's to decide if they want to to enter the lottery for the next dinner. Neither Don nor I have the time, patience or sanity to keep track of who attends what dinner and where they were on the what waiting list.

These dinners are a great way to allow new members to become more involved in our community and older members to get together. At least half of those who attended the dinner had never attended an event before. At least a third were on the waiting list. There were members who have posted hundreds of times and members who have posted a handful of times. A great time was had by all, which is what counts.

The system we used for Ray's worked and for now we are sticking with it. Hopefully the discussion about how to choose who gets to go will now end.

The next dinner will not occur until January at the earliest. Don and I have a number of different dinners planned for the winter and spring. They will probably not be as economical as the Ray's dinner so you may want to start saving now.

Until then I hope to have an Anti-Holiday Happy Hour in the next couple of weeks (probably the 23rd) to make up for the awful company holiday parties we are all forced to attend. Stay tuned for details.

Having been lucky enough to attend the event at Ray's, I, for one, will be sitting out the initial sign-up for the next event.

I will throw my name in the ring only if the event does not fill up by the set deadline.

If it is oversubscribed, I will ask hillvalley to put my name at the bottom of the wait list AFTER the lottery. Whether she wants to bother to do so is entirely up to her.

I would encourage the others that were lucky enough to get to the Ray's event to do the same.

Having been lucky enough to attend the event at Ray's, I, for one, will be sitting out the initial sign-up for the next event.

I will throw my name in the ring only if the event does not fill up by the set deadline.

If it is oversubscribed, I will ask hillvalley to put my name at the bottom of the wait list AFTER the lottery. Whether she wants to bother to do so is entirely up to her.

I would encourage the others that were lucky enough to get to the Ray's event to do the same.

Good thought, and considerate, but on the other hand these dinners shouldn't turn into some mystical rite of passage with confusing initiation rituals open only to the lucky few. "He who pulls the sword Excalibur from the stone shall be King. But only if you didn't make it to the Top Ten of the last waiting list AND/OR attended the immediate prior dinner but NOT the dinner prior to that." Voluntary abstentions (what you're proposing!) are fine, but I think as a general statement The System works pretty well as it is. If the next dinner is pleasing to me (more than likely!) and I can afford it (more the issue!), I'll sign up and let Fate make my dinner plans.

This is a fine illustration of one of my favorite quotes:

The generation of random numbers is too important to be left to chance.
With a big winky face because we're only using them to pick spots for a dinner. :)

...I hope to have an Anti-Holiday Happy Hour in the next couple of weeks (probably the 23rd) to make up for the awful company holiday parties we are all forced  to attend.  Stay tuned for details.

On reading this I think I just experienced the first stirrings of Christmas spirit! I had almost given up hope.

I'll be at Sonoma for lunch today at about 1:15, then tomorrow night at 7:00 we're having dinner at Vidalia--assuming our baby hasn't arrived by then!

Going somewhat off topic...

Peanut was born the day before the eGullet event at Colorado Kitchen last year.

Rocks said it was the best excuse for a late cancellation that he had ever heard. :)

Best to you and Mrs Banco.

Going somewhat off topic...

Peanut was born the day before the eGullet event at Colorado Kitchen last year.

Rocks said it was the best excuse for a late cancellation that he had ever heard. :)

Best to you and Mrs Banco.

Many thanks. We're determined not to let childbirth get in the way of a dinner reservation. (After all, one has to have priorities).