On a whim, what are you up to?

Guest All Dented

So, do the bars technically stay open 'til 3 a.m.?  We gain an hour, don't forget...

while bars are technically not allowed to stay open an extra hour - the timing goes by the "business day" - police generally look the other way because of the logical argument of it not yet being three am. however, every smart bar/nightclub owner that i know recognizes that nothing good can come in that last hour. more importantly the extra revenue is not worth the added risk.

Whenever I say I'll try to show, something comes up and I don't show, so maybe this time I'll say that I won't show (which might result in my showing... but then, by saying that, have I jinxed myself out of being able to make it, yet again?)

There's just no telling.

Yes.  Corduroy.  I just had to cancel tonight's dinner reservation there.  The Mrs. came down sick.  Am saddened by that so I'll need to go there to at least get a drink.

Well, the Mrs. should be doing what I'm doing right now, which is medicating myself with a Hot Toddy! (Yes, it would be more fun at a happy hour, but I was in dire need of stopping my cough)

Anyone interested in a later night whim, I'll probably be hanging in the bar at Vermilion after the wine dinner to listen to Jesse Elliot (he's awesome!). Show's on from 10 to midnight. I'll be the girl in black at the bar. :lol:

Edited by MelGold

All-night Happy Hour (til 10 p.m., technically) at the much-maligned Oyamel for $4 margaritas and $1.50 tacos.  I will be the guy at the bar furiously licking sal de gusano from his glass in between tacos packed with soulless onion bulbs.

I think I could stand a few of those, myself. Probably be in around 7:30 or 8.

I'll be at Buck's at around 5:30-6:00

How is HH at Bucks? It's right down the street from me, and yet I've never stopped in. Of course I'm never sure what restaurants would be ok with jeans and sneakers at the bar. (translate that as me wondering how shabby my jeans might be, heh.) :lol:

How is HH at Bucks? It's right down the street from me, and yet I've never stopped in. Of course I'm never sure what restaurants would be ok with jeans and sneakers at the bar. (translate that as me wondering how shabby my jeans might be, heh.)  :P

Do they even have a formal happy hour (which to my mind conjures up some kind of food or wine/drink specials)?

Regardless, I'd be happy to meet up with fellow Rockwellians at Bucks for some libations any time (I just have to roll down Nebraska Ave to get home :lol: )

Two free events tonight with real, live South African vignerons. Tasting from 6-9 PM of Louisvale and Vriesenhof wines (with the winemakers) at The Vineyard in McLean, and a free info session on the Washington Wine Academy Cork Club at the Crystal Gateway Marriott in Crystal City, from 7-8. The Crystal City event will include tasting of BWC and Muratie wines (with BWC winemaker Cathy Marshall and Muratie owner Rijk Melck). RSVP is, I believe, required for the Crystal City event, but no charge. I will be at that event.

Two free events tonight with real, live South African vignerons.  Tasting from 6-9 PM of Louisvale and Vriesenhof wines (with the winemakers) at The Vineyard in McLean, and a free info session on the Washington Wine Academy Cork Club at the Crystal Gateway Marriott in Crystal City, from 7-8.  The Crystal City event will include tasting of BWC and Muratie wines (with BWC winemaker Cathy Marshall and Muratie owner Rijk Melck).  RSVP is, I believe, required for the Crystal City event, but no charge.  I will be at that event.

I met both Cathy Marshall & Rijk Melck last night - both are amazing people. If you have the opportunity, go!

not trying to slight biddy mulligan's (they do pour a damn fine pint of stout) but wow what a downgrade.

it really depends on who's pouring it....but then again I'm one of those snobs who only believes in drinking draught Guinness in Ireland.....silly, I know but everyone's entitled to their foibles

:lol:

No freakin' joke. As a result, I'm home already (pre-9 pm) eating a burrito.

Waitman, don't yell at me. I really like Chipotle. :lol:

not trying to slight biddy mulligan's (they do pour a damn fine pint of stout) but wow what a downgrade.

The meunu sounds incredible and the images of the restaurant quite seductive. Dinner could be a little pricey- but they do offer a "sunset menu" that is more reasonable for a midweek whim-That menu is offered between 5:30- 7. Anyone interested in joining me- let me know

I'm game. I say we gather a small party and do the Sunset menu next week. From Oya's website:

SUNSET MENU - $30

Monday - Saturday

5:30pm - 7:00pm

FIRST, choice of:

Warm Yellow Tomato Soup

hamachi | soy

Winter Green Salad

winterberries | pear | lemon grass

Edamame Risotto

scallop | yellow tomato

ENTREE, choice of:

Loin of Lamb