On a whim, what are you up to?

Guest All Dented

Work is interfering with life again...

I have two tickets for the Nat's game tonight (Thursday) that we can't use. They are great seats in Sec. 323 and I'll pass them along to someone who can use them.

My office is on Cap. Hill and I'll have my car so I can meet someone pretty easily to hand off the tickets.

PM if you can use them~!

Thanks!

I can't go today - if anyone's going & coming back toward Alexandria (and is feeling VERY generous), will you bring me a shrimp po'boy???? PM me if you are willing to make this girl who is chained to her desk today a very happy individual! :lol:

PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(I hope that it's obvious that I'm willing to meet you somewhere in Alexandria to pick up the sandwich AND that I'll pay you back...just thought I'd clarify)

Want Mo' Po' Boy!  :lol:

My hunch is that if you went to the bar at Acadiana and asked for a po' boy, their response would likely be "what kind would you like." I think perhaps a delegation needs to be self-appointed to conduct a confirmation hearing at their bar.

edited to add: and I called them up, the bar will be open for business this evening.

Edited by Jacques Gastreaux

Do any of the other "losers" in the lottery for the Restaurant Eve dinner want to get together somewhere on Thursday to stuff our faces and drown our sorrows? I'm open to suggestions.

Also, if any of our favorite restaurants are doing a Hurricane Relief activity that night, please let us know.

Edited by Barbara

Do any of the other "losers" in the lottery for the Restaurant Eve dinner want to get together somewhere on Thursday to stuff our faces and drown our sorrows?  I'm open to suggestions.

(Stay tuned for another interesting group-outing development (save some money for next month)).

I think those of us who didn't find out about the Eve event until 12 hours later when the event AND waiting list were already full should get first shot at the new spiffy event.  :lol:

Well said - I was out of the country, and by the time I read the announcement the waiting list was longer than the attendee list...

:P

I think those of us who didn't find out about the Eve event until 12 hours later when the event AND waiting list were already full should get first shot at the new spiffy event.  :lol:

How about the people who knew about it, responded within minutes of the initial posting, but got left out in the re-do?

I didn't want to go to their silly party anyway. :P

They have not even posted the event yet.  Shogun and I were just being PITAs.  :lol:

Oh, I know that. I am just being a pain also. I would have loved to go to Eve tomorrow, but I read the notice a day too late! So I am just covering my bases here!

I hope I haven't triple-spaced here, I hate to put in quotes as I don't want Mr. Rockwell to go bonkers!

How about the people who knew about it, responded within minutes of the initial posting, but got left out in the re-do?

I didn't want to go to their silly party anyway.  :P

So we weren't the only ones who got the shaft? And here I thought we were special!

No, I'm not bitter...not at all... :lol:

Wow.  There any many things in this world to get bitter about - poverty, injustice, hunger, etc.  Missing a restaurant meal is not high on my list.

This is a meal.  There will be others, and you more than likely will get another chance.

I don't think we're really getting all that worked up about this - at least I'm not. Just my sense of humor. I must have needed to add a :lol: .

So we weren't the only ones who got the shaft? And here I thought we were special!

No, I'm not bitter...not at all... :lol:

Got the shaft?

When I was discussing this event with Cathal on August 9th, I was worried that we couldn't even fill an eight-top. At 2:30 PM, Hillvalley posted about the event, and during the next two hours, a flood of responses began coming in. It became obvious that not only would we fill an eight-top, but we'd fill the entire room. Cathal doublechecked his books and realized there were people booked for the room that night, but gave two other dates where we could get the entire room. About 4:00 PM, the dates had changed, and Hillvalley had to start from scratch. This all happened in less than two hours. By the end of the evening, we not only had the entire room booked, but there were over twenty people on the waiting list. Hillvalley spent a good six hours on this, with over 100 PMs in her box. Total income derived from her effort: zero. Apparently, 1-2 people couldn't make the new dates, or didn't reply quickly enough, or whatever. Almost every single person was understanding and worked with the new parameters, and no favoritism was shown to anyone. Not only wasn't this supposed to fill up in a few hours; it wasn't supposed to fill up at all - Cathal and I had even discussed the "minimum requirements" for it to happen: a six-top! Nobody had any idea that this would be so popular. All we could do after a point was to bump the squeaky wheel up to the top of the waiting list, and I was about 99% certain that they'd be in. But incredibly, nobody has cancelled. We've apologized to a couple of people, but apparently that wasn't good enough. A nasty letter of complaint was received. The only person who "got the shaft" was Hillvalley, who did the best she could under a very rapidly changing situation.

Wow.  There any many things in this world to get bitter about - poverty, injustice, hunger, etc.  Missing a restaurant meal is not high on my list.

I think the "bitterness" (which is obviously in jest) is in part about hunger, though. Hunger for the delights that await the chosen ones who have been called to the glorious Tasting Room, where we will sit at the hand of Armstrong before our exaltation.

I think the "bitterness" (which is obviously in jest) is in part about hunger, though. Hunger for the delights that await the chosen ones who have been called to the glorious Tasting Room, where we will sit at the hand of Armstrong before our exaltation.

Was it obvious? I couldn't tell. :P

There are lots of events I don't get a chance to attend. I don't lose much sleep over it. :lol:

The only person who "got the shaft" was Hillvalley, who did the best she could under a very rapidly changing situation.

Wow. Thanks for the play-by-play. I knew organizing this was complicated but didn't realize it was complicated at warp speed. My thanks to all involved for putting this event (and other events whether I attend or not) together. The opportunities this board has provided are amazing.

I make one semi-facetious comment, and it brings all kinds of unpleasantness out of the woodwork. Jeez. :lol:

I would suggest that those who had the temerity to send nasty messages to the people who are spending a considerable amount of free time organizing events, and a considerable amount of money supporting this site in the first place, should find a new hobby. Yoga might work.

Got the shaft?

When I was discussing this event with Cathal on August 9th, I was worried that we couldn't even fill an eight-top.  At 2:30 PM, Hillvalley posted about the event, and during the next two hours, a flood of responses began coming in.  It became obvious that not only would we fill an eight-top, but we'd fill the entire room.  Cathal doublechecked his books and realized there were people booked for the room that night, but gave two other dates where we could get the entire room.  About 4:00 PM, the dates had changed, and Hillvalley had to start from scratch.  This all happened in less than two hours.  By the end of the evening, we not only had the entire room booked, but there were over twenty people on the waiting list.  Hillvalley spent a good six hours on this, with over 100 PMs in her box.  Total income derived from her effort:  zero.  Apparently, 1-2 people couldn't make the new dates, or didn't reply quickly enough, or whatever.  Almost every single person was understanding and worked with the new parameters, and no favoritism was shown to anyone.  Not only wasn't this supposed to fill up in a few hours; it wasn't supposed to fill up at all - Cathal and I had even discussed the "minimum requirements" for it to happen:  a six-top!  Nobody had any idea that this would be so popular.  All we could do after a point was to bump the squeaky wheel up to the top of the waiting list, and I was about 99% certain that they'd be in.  But incredibly, nobody has cancelled.  We've apologized to a couple of people, but apparently that wasn't good enough.  A nasty letter of complaint was received.  The only person who "got the shaft" was Hillvalley, who did the best she could under a very rapidly changing situation.

Wow. "A nasty letter of complaint was received." :lol: I can't really say I'm surprised--just very disappointed. Hillvalley does Herculean work on organizing events for us and I think we too often ASSUME that she knows how much we all appreciate her efforts.

I certainly apologize for joking around about what was obviously a sensitive subject for many more than I would have figured. I know HV puts a lot of time into making these things happen so I can understand her emotional investment in it.

A formal complaint from someone though? Seriously? Some people take things and themselves way too seriously.

Lately my joking around has been misinterpreted all too frequently. I must be losing my touch.

I think I'll just shut up now.

This is not a big deal, and the jokes were recognized as jokes, I assure you. The biggest mistake I made was assuming that people would cancel before the event, and that people at the top of the waiting list were shoo-ins. Lessons were learned this time around, and next time the same mistakes won't be made, i.e, an equitable, less-urgent reservation system will be used. Again, let me stress that nobody had any idea that this thing would sell out in one afternoon, and that everyone here is treated equally and also that we have your best interests in mind. Cheers, Rocks.