On a whim, what are you up to?

Guest All Dented

Tell me more about this, if you don't mind.......  (subject A places his arm out to be twisted.)

Every Tues, from 6-11. Half-price on all Belgian beers (they usually have about 6 different ones), downstairs in the basement/fake cavern (complete with fake stalagmites). Should be nice and cool down there.

My father has some record that's "Bob Jablonski (or whatever forgotten jazz guy it is) Live at the Bohemian Caverns, 1959" and the cover of the record shows the cavern looking pretty much like it does today.

Every Tues, from 6-11.  Half-price on all Belgian beers (they usually have about 6 different ones), downstairs in the basement/fake cavern (complete with fake stalagmites).   Should be nice and cool down there.  

My father has some record that's "Bob Jablonski (or whatever forgotten jazz guy it is) Live at the Bohemian Caverns, 1959" and the cover of the record shows the cavern looking pretty much like it does today.

Thank you. I will present the idea to "She Who Suggested We Go To BDC After Work Today." I suspect that with the high ceiling and glass front at BDC, it won't be too cool in there.

When done with beers, there's a great $10.50 pork chop platter across the street, too!

Edited by CrescentFresh

Every Tues, from 6-11.  Half-price on all Belgian beers (they usually have about 6 different ones), downstairs in the basement/fake cavern (complete with fake stalagmites).  Should be nice and cool down there. 

I love Belgian beers, but I'm not in a beer mood. I'm thinking of a Mojito at Cafe Atlantico. Maybe have a bite of something deconstructed and inhale a truffled napkin or two.

I love Belgian beers, but I'm not in a beer mood. I'm thinking of a Mojito at Cafe Atlantico. Maybe have a bite of something deconstructed and inhale a truffled napkin or two.

I was thinking of a squirt or two of something from a syringe would sound good.

Last week at Corduroy we came up with a solution to the how do new people find the DR.com'ers at Happy Hours problem.

From now on a "regular" will let the host/bar tender/manager know that we are there and they should send anyone who asks for the DonRockwell group our way. That will keep people from having to toast to Don every half hour and allow new people a somewhat discrete way to figure out which group of winos they are looking for.

If a Happy Hour occurs at Firefly or Corduroy, where we are well known and usually liked, please do not hesitate to ask for the manager to point you in the right direction.

Hopefully this will make it easier for new people to find us. Everyone is always welcome. Please let me know if you have any other questions or suggestions.

Last week at Corduroy we came up with a solution to the how do new people find the DR.com'ers at Happy Hours problem.

From now on a "regular" will let the host/bar tender/manager know that we are there and they should send anyone who asks for the DonRockwell group our way.  That will keep people from having to toast to Don every half hour and allow new people a somewhat discrete way to figure out which group of winos they are looking for.

If a Happy Hour occurs at Firefly or Corduroy, where we are well known and usually liked, please do not hesitate to ask for the manager to point you in the right direction.

Hopefully this will make it easier for new people to find us.  Everyone is always welcome.  Please let me know if you have any other questions or suggestions.

I still like the idea of a secret handshake or some kind of high sign we could periodically emit -- something like pulling twice on our ear lobe or stroking our chin ostentatiously or touching the tip of our nose with the tip of our tongue...

Edited by FunnyJohn

I still like the idea of a secret handshake or some kind of high sign we could periodically emit -- something like pulling twice on our ear lobe or stroking our chin ostentatiously or touching the tip of our nose with the tip of our tongue...

And I still like the idea of toasting every half hour.

I'm taking tomorrow off to read Harry Potter. I must however eat lunch at some point.

Options--

1) Lunch grill at Gaileo

2) Pizza at 2 Amy's

3) I failed to have Oysters at Firefly with the in-laws....

Anyone planning to hit any of these establishments Friday between noon and one or so?

I promise to put the book down and over come my overwhelming shyness. :P

Jennifer

For all you beer lovers out there who are willing to cross the river into Old Town, tonight is Firkin Thursday at Vermilion.

Long and short: During tonight's happy hour we are featuring a firkin of Dogfish Head's 90 Min India Pale Ale - described to me as extremely hoppy with a slight sweetness and smooth finish. I can't wait to pull a pint at 6 PM. :P

Chef Beard is offering up two specials on the lounge menu to pair - beer battered fish "sticks" with chipotle coleslaw & a soft pretzel with spicy mustard. Tapping is at 6PM so I'll be there around then - PM me if you're coming.

Cheers!

Edited by MelGold

I'm taking tomorrow off to read Harry Potter.  I must however eat lunch at some point.

Options--

1) Lunch grill at Gaileo

2) Pizza at 2 Amy's

Anyone planning to hit any of these establishments Friday between noon and one or so?

I promise to put the book down and over come my overwhelming shyness.  :P

Jennifer

I was thinking of taking a very long lunch (okay 1/2 day off) tomorrow and was thinking of hitting the grill...

I'm taking tomorrow off to read Harry Potter.  I must however eat lunch at some point.

Options--

1) Lunch grill at Gaileo

2) Pizza at 2 Amy's

Jennifer

I am strongly considering making my maiden voyage to the Grill tomorrow. Totally slipped my mind on Wednesday until I was already seated with a coworker at Sign of the Whale. Pfft.

I am strongly considering making my maiden voyage to the Grill tomorrow. Totally slipped my mind on Wednesday until I was already seated with a coworker at Sign of the Whale. Pfft.

I thought the Grill was not going to be open until the return of Roberto. Did I miss something? :P

Edited to say I guess Roberto is back (just looked at the other thread)

dunce.gif

Edited by FunnyJohn

I was not only planning on being in the vicinity, I was also planning on being at Sonoma......until I realized the freakin DC United v Chelsea game is at FedEx field instead of RFK....needless to say I am not happy about schlepping out to Landover :P

I was not only planning on being in the vicinity, I was also planning on being at Sonoma......until I realized the freakin DC United v Chelsea game is at FedEx field instead of RFK....needless to say I am not happy about schlepping out to Landover  :P

At least you won't have to hear DC United bitch about the pitch.

Last call for anyone willing to brave the potential rain and head out to Wolf Trap with a small group of us tonight. Wine, cheese, meats/pate, and homemade desserts are already packed and ready to go...

Anyone, anyone...Bueller...

Last call for anyone willing to brave the potential rain and head out to Wolf Trap with a small group of us tonight.  Wine, cheese, meats/pate, and homemade desserts are already packed and ready to go...

c'mon, a little rain is good for the soul...join us!

Last call for anyone willing to brave the potential rain and head out to Wolf Trap with a small group of us tonight.  Wine, cheese, meats/pate, and homemade desserts are already packed and ready to go...

Dinerboy and I were planning to, but now he's sounding sick...

:P

Still, there's a chance we'll be there. I think we're going to play it by ear.

If we make it, what sould we bring?

I previously posted this on the TemptAsian thread but it was probably mostly missed, so I'll do it here too. Anyway, several of us are meeting at Temptasian every Tuesday lunchtime (12:30) until Labor Day to work our way through the Chinese menu. If you're interested and would like to join us you're very welcome. The only rule is we mostly are ordering things we haven't tried previously. Last week 10 showed and early indications are we will have that many again (with luck).

The restaurant is the new venue of Peter Chang, previously the head chef at the acclaimed China Star.

No need to e-mail---just show up. The restaurant is on Little River Turnpike immediately west of 395, south side of LRT behind the Exxon station. No public transportation so it's drive only.

This is not entirely on topic, but I have two tickets for the Dodgers-Nationals game tonight (baseline box) I'm not using and would be happy to get rid of if anyone is interested. I am going, so would be happy to meet whoever wants them at RFK to hand them over. So (more on topic) if you've been looking for an excuse to try Sonoma or Belga this might be a opportunity to have a nice meal on the way to the ball game.

Of course, if any DR.com folks are already going to be there I'd be happy to meet up at RFK for a beer before or during the game. :wub: And, I might be willing to go somewhere after the game - or even leave early if the Dodgers are getting spanked :P - to drown my sorrows. Probably BdC since it is a.) open late and b.) close to Metro.

Edited by Heather

For "Restaurant Week" last night, I created my own three-course menu at Eve, with the goal of coming in under the $30.05 three-course menus that participating restaurants are currently offering

This sounds like a fabulous meal (even if he skipped dessert) and I'm inspired to duplicate the attempt. Anyone else up for the challenge on Thursday?