On a whim, what are you up to?

Guest All Dented

Yes - that was me!  I was the one in the blue shirt and red tie.  Which two were you?

The two guys sitting right next to your blonde friend. We left while you were still there.

We should have some sort of secret gesture to perform every 5 mins or so to announce ourselves to other folks who are "in the know". Vigorous nose-picking is probably not a good one, huh?

Is anyone up for happy hour Friday evening?  I was thinking perhaps Bistro Lepic wine bar.  Does anyone know if they have any happy hour specials?  But I'm open to other suggestions (Circle Bistro?).

I'm up for some HH activity on Friday, but how 'bout something closer in.  What about Marcels?

Come on G-Town isn't that far! I was kind of thinking about Hank's myself. Or how about BdC?

Come on G-Town isn't that far!  I was kind of thinking about Hank's myself.  Or how about BdC?

As always, I will bend to the will of "the people" and can get to practically anywhere (not Old Town). Does Hank's have an actual bar? Does Lepic's bar have a good wine-by-the-glass selection? BdC is someplace I have not visited for a long-time -- maybe time to renew my acquaintance :lol:

Here's a thought: why not meet at BdC and then migrate to Hank's? Latecomers can just mosey on over to Hank's or call one of us to track our location. (PM me for my cell if you don't think you will arrive at BdC before 7)

As always, I will bend to the will of "the people" and can get to practically anywhere (not Old Town).  Does Hank's have an actual bar?  Does Lepic's bar have a good wine-by-the-glass selection? BdC is someplace I have not visited for a long-time -- maybe time to renew my acquaintance :lol:

Here's a thought: why not meet at BdC and then migrate to Hank's?  Latecomers can just mosey on over to Hank's or call one of us to track our location. (PM me for my cell if you don't think you will arrive at BdC before 7)

Hank's bar has only 6 seats and the entire place fills up around 6:30 - 7, but we could get there on the early side and get an outside table(s) if its not too bad outside. Any other suggestions?

Since I've not been to the FF HH yet, if I can get out early tomorrow I may just hop over there. Anywhere else would have to be close to my office downtown, so I probably won't be seeing any DR.com-ers. So have a safe and happy July 4th!

Outside tomorrow evening not a good idea -- heavy downpour  expected.  Where is the Dupont Sala Thai and why sould we go there?  The one in Arlington is mediocre.

The Sala Thai on P between 20th and 21st seemed really good when I had lunch there yesterday. The consensus seems to be that the DuPont location is superior to the others. It's cheap, good, and located close to at least one of our favorite HH hangouts.

Anybody know of a Montgomery County liquor store near a Metro? I've had a neat lesson in how good their sales are (Milagro Anejo tequila, $50 in Virginia, $23.00 on sale in MD) and want to take advantage.

There is one at 4800 Auburn Avenue in downtown Bethesda. A little under a 10 minute walk from the Bethesda metro station

There is one at 4800 Auburn Avenue in downtown Bethesda.  A little under a 10 minute walk from the Bethesda metro station

Silver Spring store is about 5 blocks from metro straight up Colesville Rd.

There is one at 4800 Auburn Avenue in downtown Bethesda.  A little under a 10 minute walk from the Bethesda metro station

There's one on the floor under the Trader Joe's on Wisconsin too. About the same walking distance from the Bethesda metro, but has the possible bonus of hitting TJ's too.

Getting back to the subject of HH tomorrow, I will ping Johnny Rooks to see if he will be doing sparkling wines tomorrow evening.

edited to add: I communicated with Wabeck. He says he will open something for us, perhaps some sparkling Austria, or a cremant d'Loire.

Edited by Jacques Gastreaux

Getting back to the subject of HH tomorrow, I will ping Johnny Rooks to see if he will be doing sparkling wines tomorrow evening.

edited to add:  I communicated with Wabeck.  He says he will open something for us, perhaps some sparkling Austria, or a cremant d'Loire.

FF for HH tomorrow it is! Into what a delicious rut we seem to have fallen .

Edited by FunnyJohn

On the strength of your opinion that this Sala Thai is above par, I would like to have some Thai food.  See you at FF beforehand.

Actually, my opinion of Sala Thai is that it is "below" par. [Although I don't play golf, I do watch it on TV once in a while and have noticed that frequently the players with the lowest scores are declared the winner]

Given that it is summer and we should take advantage of the weather a group of us decided that it would be nice to do a different sort of Happy Hour.

We thought that going to see The Wizard of Oz at Wolf Trap might be a nice, family friendly change of pace. There is something about sitting out under the stars, eating good food and of course drinking good wine while watching a classic movie accompanied by the National Symphony Orchestra that sounds like a good way to end the week.

The performance is Friday, July 29th at 8:30.

If you would like to join us drop me an email and buy some tickets. We can coordinate food and wine later.

I think that we should all go to a National's game and do a tasting of the various dogs and beers offered at the Bobby.

Tickets are only 7 clams for the nosebleeds.

Having tasted some of the "food" at RFK and, since you are allowed to bring your own food from the outside, I think an outing to see the Nats would be a good idea provided that the participants bring in food from elsewhere. Anybody in this crowd could come up with something much, much better than what is available there, whether homemade or bought. The facilities there are just too lacking to be able to provide anything remotely edible. Let's not discuss the prices for the dreck, either.

Having tasted some of the "food" at RFK and, since you are allowed to bring your own food from the outside, I think an outing to see the Nats would be a good idea provided that the participants bring in food from elsewhere.  Anybody in this crowd could come up with something much, much better than what is available there, whether homemade or bought.  The facilities there are just too lacking to be able to provide anything remotely edible.  Let's not discuss the prices for the dreck, either.

I think RFK Stadium bans anything but bottled water to be brought in, and they do search bags. Anybody tried it? Please, oh please let me be wrong because Barbara is right... the so-called food and beer is total crap - which is probably why so many people tailgate before the games. :P

I can say with certainty that you can bring in bottled water and food to the game. No coolers, though. Permissable bag sizes are listed on the Nats website. When I'm in a dog mood, I usually get them from the vendors outside. Although the premium price you pay inside RFK does give a bit of insurance regarding sanitation as far as I'm concerned.

Bottled water inside is $4. Outside is $2. But if you get it outside, check the cap carefully. Maybe I'm silly paranoid but I swear that some of the vendors collect empty bottles post-game, fill them with tap water, and resell the next day. My only evidence to this is twice getting bottles outside and when I open them inside, the plastic "safety tabs" were not in one piece. Peanuts outdoors are $3. Less if you buy them at CVS!

All this said, lunch on Monday was dogs, peanuts, water and Miller. Dinner on Tuesday was dogs, peanuts, water and Miller. Dinner tonight was dogs, peanuts, water and Miller. Lunch tomorrow will be....... Pork shoulder sandwich with broccoli rabe, provolone and green sauce, peanuts, water and Miller. :P

Let's go Mets!

Edited by CrescentFresh

I think the chorizo dogs are really good.  And there is nothing wrong with the sausage dogs in my opinion.

After reading this story, I'm thinking that a drive-by of the Ugly Mug for some take-out mini-burgers might be a tasty alternative. With a little notice, they will pack them up to go!

Corduroy work for us (though we were there just this weekend) -- what time does the gang usually congregate? Craig's stuck at work until 6 p.m. (in Bethesda), and I have an appt. in Arlington until 6:30-7... :P

Whoa, hold on there. You're talking crazy. You're suggesting somewhere other than Firefly or Corduroy? :P

Yeah, crazy talk. Parking near 2 Amy's sucks ventworm nut.

It's my birthday, so wherever we go needs to have good cocktails.