New Heights, Woodley Park Metro - Chef Takeshi Nishikawa Departs for Lincoln (the Restaurant)

As far as the Fritto Misto, I didn't really know how to evaluate the hushpuppies, since they were so small. I liked them, but I don't know how I would rate them. I loved the symmetry of the appetizer, but I have a better sense of the oysters and pickles than the hushpuppies.

I found the potato in the softshell dish to be rather firm, but I liked that about it. I had forgotten the rest of the description until I hit the cubes of potato. I liked the way it worked with the crab, even though I'm not usually fond of firm pieces of potato.

One thing I realize that I didn't emphasize enough is how much I loved the black bean rillettes. Despite how much I loved the rest of the meal, this was probably my favorite food item. That was gorgeous and delicious. I also didn't mention before a nice gin and tonic with Plymouth gin and Fever Tree tonic.

Logan Cox will be the new chef at New Heights. Logan is coming up from his latest position at a private club in South Carolina - more importantly, he has worked under Frank Ruta at Palena. Leave August 9th open for a dinner at New Heights featuring both John and Logan working the kitchen, as well as Derek Brown and Chantal Tseng mixing their magic. Check the Events and Gatherings thread on Monday and I'll have more details then.

Cheers, welcome, and best wishes to all,

Rocks.

As far as the Fritto Misto, I didn't really know how to evaluate the hushpuppies, since they were so small. I liked them, but I don't know how I would rate them.

i wasn't able to get enough sense of the hushpuppies myself since my wife only parted with half of one. however, i was left with the impression that they show you the corn, aren't dry, melt in your mouth and are some of the very best hushpuppies ever.

i wasn't able to get enough sense of the hushpuppies myself since my wife only parted with half of one. however, i was left with the impression that they show you the corn, aren't dry, melt in your mouth and are some of the very best hushpuppies ever.
Yea those puppies are super delicious, coming from someone who doesn't really like them. I love the inner creamy innards.

Chef Logan Cox is doing some fascinating work at New Heights. When's the last time you've seen lovage in a restaurant? Cox is using it as garnish in his Hubbard Squash Soup ($9), a piping-hot chicken-stock-based Tom Power-like soup with a second fascinating twist: almond "polenta," made without any corn at all.

Mussels, Oysters, Little Neck Clams ($12) with smokey broth, celery, and bacon was fantastic the first time I tried it; the other evening it was merely good, with the broth not quite as reductive and intense. Still, I remember the first bowl of this as one of the best soups I've had this year.

A Composed Salad of Pennsylvania Organic Beets ($9) is a terrine of red beets (all of New Heights fine produce comes from Tuscarora Farms), one of which is topped - not with peanut butter - but pistachio butter. This novel accompaniment works surprisingly well with the beet terrine and seasonal greens, and the dish is marred only by a very good housemade Sherry Vinegar, which lends an unnecessary acidic tone to a composition that doesn't need it.

Pan-Roasted Venison ($28) reminds me of something Tony Conte would serve at The Oval Room - Cox likes to innovate with grains and nuts, and this is served with organic pearl barley, house-smoked walnuts, and lingonberry sauce. The carrot on this dish is to die for.

Cox is a young talent with enormous potential. He has room to grow as the months go by, but the technique is there, and he's doing some really eye-catching things right now. His controlled culinary risk-taking merits your attention.

Cheers,

Rocks.

If you like duck confit, get in a taxi RIGHT NOW and go directly to New Heights, where the appetizer portion ($10) is one of the most skillfully fried legs I've had, with a crispy skin that is to die for. There's culinary trickery at play here, with the "honey vinegar" on top presented in little aspic-like cubes. There are some roasted beets on the side which are fine, but the leg of duck itself is the star of this show.

Order it with a side of Salt and Vinegar Chips with Anchovy Mayo ($6). At first, I tried the mayo and thought to myself, 'meh, not enough anchovy,' but then I had some of it with the housemade, freshly fried, fingerling potato chips and the combination brought everything to life, somehow creating the flavor of lemon.

Cheers,

Rocks.

the gin joint? yess!

i went to the new heights gin joint last weekend for several reasons.

1, because a year ago when waiting for a table upstairs i had a most tasty gin and tonic i had never heard of and thought, well, i should definitely come back here.

2, since my pal Logan Cox started working the kitchen, but really, it's

3, i met a guy in a bar when i was really drunk over inauguration weekend and he asked me out for drinks and i needed a small place where i would be sure to recognize him among other patrons, oh, and it had to be quiet because for some reason i imagined that he might have a stutter or a lisp, and finally, why not impress someone with a tiny hidden spot in woodley park on a friday? so, the gin joint.

he was already there when i arrived and thank goodness spotted me when i came in, otherwise, i would have likely sat two chairs down and ordered on my own. he had already gotten the jist of the menu and explained to someone who never even imagined there were more kinds of gin than the ones that come in the plastic bottle and bombay sapphire (which i only started drinking in college in honor of my indian friends). i was intrigued and eager to sample, almost overwhelmed, but they are sorted in a specific order on the menu so you can figure out what's going on (do they ever do that with wines? because i always just sort by price...second from the cheapest!). i started with a rather safe choice, right in the middle, a hendrick's that i knew was guaranteed tasty, but the next round (or two?) were complicated, delicate mixes of something truly unique in DC.

then came the food...the charcuterie plate had a bunch of items to offer...some chicken liver, which i just jumped on (sorry buddy, you wouldn't like it anyway), some real tasty jerky, but i really, i was all about the mackerel dish that followed. i would never order mackerel (it's always the last rubbery waxy piece of fish on the sushi combo platter) much less even order fish (i used to work at NOAA...there are no more fish, people!!) however, as i know the list by heart... mackerel is totally in the green column! there was a crisp skin, a bright refreshing flavor, and the mustardy fingerling potatoes with capers. yum.

i just might have fallen in love with mackerel! my date, however is a whole different story. but, as they say, there are always more fish in the sea, and i will most definitely be bringing them into the new heights gin joint!

According to Chris, the bartender, Logan Cox makes all the bread for the restaurant. Tonight we sampled a country white, cornbread, and some type of brown bread. I loved the warm and downy insides of the country white and brown breads. The cornbread was also very good. It's a nice touch. And with the chicken liver parfait at $9 you could make a meal of the pate and bread.

According to Chris, the bartender, Logan Cox makes all the bread for the restaurant. Tonight we sampled a country white, cornbread, and some type of brown bread. I loved the warm and downy insides of the country white and brown breads. The cornbread was also very good. It's a nice touch. And with the chicken liver parfait at $9 you could make a meal of the pate and bread.

Logan Cox is one of the most underrated chefs in the area right now. If there was ever any doubt he worked for Frank Ruta, it's removed by the Composed Salad of Spring Vegetables ($10) with sheep-milk yogurt and lavender vinegar. A beautiful presentation of colors, shapes, and textures - this dish is Spring on a plate.

Vegetarians, are you listening? Sit at the bar, have this with a couple pieces of homemade bread, and you've got yourself the healthiest meal in town for ten bucks.

Cheers,

Rocks.

I've now made five out of the last ten posts in this thread (since July 27, 2008), but so be it.

Congratulations to Logan for a very good review in The Washington Post this past weekend (click).

Here's taking the accolades to the next level: In the past few years, we've had Koji Terano (Sushi-Ko) and Johnny Monis (Komi) nominated for the James Beard Award for Rising Star Chef, which is awarded to "A chef age 30 or younger who displays an impressive talent and who is likely to have a significant impact on the industry in years to come."

Logan is now only 2729 - why shouldn't he be considered? Oops. :rolleyes:

Homemade bread, homemade charcuterie ...

Frank, have you been in recently to see what you've wrought?

Cheers,

Rocks.

Great dinner at the bar at New Heights last night. The food is easily as good as any you might get at Palena cafe, for instance, and the drinks are better. Delicious cold squash/melon/basil soup. Perfect risotto balls, and scallops. Drinks made with fruit purees that are tasty, and not too sweet. And a friendly atmosphere. Can't be beat. Next time you're thinking of Palena, get off the train one stop earlier and try this instead.

Great dinner at the bar at New Heights last night. The food is easily as good as any you might get at Palena cafe, for instance, and the drinks are better. Delicious cold squash/melon/basil soup. Perfect risotto balls, and scallops. Drinks made with fruit purees that are tasty, and not too sweet. And a friendly atmosphere. Can't be beat. Next time you're thinking of Palena, get off the train one stop earlier and try this instead.

Hi sheldman and thanks a lot for coming in to eat and drink...

I gotta tell ya getting a compliment that compares the food to Palena's is one of the best I've ever gotten. I consider Frank Ruta a good friend and an even better chef/cook... that being said as soon as I get a day off I'm heading one metro stop up to have dinner at palena. Easily the best place to eat in the city.

The many, many positives from last night's dinner:

Uber comfortable bar seats. Why don't more place ask short people to sit in their bar seats? So many place have super tall seats without ample foot rails. A short person can't sit for a long time on those seats.

Blue Coat Gin and Fever Tree tonic. YUM.

The jalapeno-infused rum/mango cocktail. OMG. Amazing.

The restaurant is calming, quiet. Perfect for conversation.

Good bread basket. The cornbread was perfect with the tomato drippings of the salad.

Plates are as pretty as pictures. Gorgeous, not over executed.

Heirloom tomato salad: perfect tomatoes with lovely buttermilk and sardine dressings, plus a little herby custard. Gorgeous.

Chilled squash soup with melon balls. Perfect summer soup. Clean, lovely.

Rabbit loin wrapped in pancetta - what's not better with pancetta? The real winner here was the vegetables - a nice mix of roased vegetables that really complemented the saltiness of the pancetta.

Cobia - the ham broth under the fish was really yummy but salty.

Creme Brulee - perfectly fine.

Oregon Pinot Noir - served at the correct temperature.

The negative: lightening fast, comically fast pacing. I don't feel that our friendly server was rushing us or trying to turn the table - I think he was responding to the kitchen pacing. Our starters arrived mere SECONDS after placing our order - the server hadn't even poured the wine when they arrived. I have to believe the starters were mostly pre-pared...that's how fast they came to the table. The entrees flew to the table at almost the exact second we set down our forks on the appetizers. Once we took control, telling our server after our entrees that we didn't want to order dessert right away, but to relax with our wine, things did slow down.

I would rush back to drink gin at the bar and to order off the bar menu. However, if I dine in the upstairs, I'm going to do more to try to control the pacing. The irony for us is that we wrote New Heights off years ago (and many chefs ago) because of a monumentally terrible service experience when main courses didn't show up until 45 minutes after the appetizers, while we watched every table around us, who had arrived after us, received their plates. Perhaps, for us, there's a hex on this space. I hope our pacing was a fluke...because the food certainly deserves a more relaxed pace!

I'd say that the pacing was definitely an anomaly last night. After the review, we've been doing double or triple the business that we did before, so there's a bit of an adjustment that we're all going through. Good to hear you had a good time, though!

I'd say that the pacing was definitely an anomaly last night. After the review, we've been doing double or triple the business that we did before, so there's a bit of an adjustment that we're all going through. Good to hear you had a good time, though!

That's good to hear. We sat on the patio last night and our experience was the opposite of dcandohio's. The service was slow and a bit confused at times. It was friendly, though, and we weren't in a hurry, and it was a beautiful night, and I loved the grilled swordfish with roasted eggplant and figs, and my friend enjoyed the pork belly BLT. We also liked the salt and vinegar chips and pickled vegetables (though watch out for the peppers -- yow!). Most of all, I like the fact you can sit on the patio and order from the bar menu. I've always thought of New Heights as a special occasion place, so even though I live a couple of blocks away I've only eaten there a few times. I'd love to make this a regular habit.

I had a relaxing solo dinner at the bar last night while my wife had a girls night out. The evening started out well when I noticed plenty of street parking at 6:00 just a block West of the restaurant. Highlights of the meal included a fantastic breadbasket, the charcuterie (particularly the surprisingly flavorful lomo, chicken liver, and a delicious safron mustard that was one of those things that makes you think, "wow, I've never tasted anything quite like that before in my life"). Parts of the frito misto were great but others a bit overfried, particularly the mushroom. But I'll definitely be back to explore other parts of the menu (and sample some of the many gin varieties they have at the bar).

I went in with friends for a leisurely meal last night. It was my first time at New Heights and I was impressed by the way the service struck a good balance of being very good and efficient without rushing us out the door.

For my appetizer, I enjoyed the Summer Squash soup with the creme fraiche, and the basil. Due to pregnancy, my sense of smell/taste is extremely sensitive right now and I loved the soup, but it seemed a little overseasoned to me -- just a bit too salty. For the entree, I had the Seared Cobia with the Ham Broth. It was a wonderful combination of flavors and the ham broth added exactly the finish to tie everything together. Easily the highlight of the meal. For dessert I enjoyed the blueberry and thyme sorbet with homemade biscotti. The thyme added a great finish to the blueberry sorbet and was a wonderful palette cleanser.

The portions were just right -- just enough food without being too much.

Recently enjoyed an al fresco meal on the patio at New Heights.

Initial Impression of the Space: Confusingly empty. Upon approaching the block, I noticed the patios of other restaurants hopping with evening diners. However, both the patio and the entire first floor (a bar area) of New Heights seemed empty. Feeling like a visitor in an episode of The Disappeared, I elected to sit outside on this waning summer evening of effortless atmosphere.

A later trip inside the restaurant revealed an expansive, and packed, top floor. So that’s where all the people went! In addition, by the time I left the patio, the outdoor tables and seats at the bar were almost at capacity. Perhaps New Heights customers get a later start on their evening adventures.

Interpretation of the Service: Refreshingly attentive, gracious, and welcoming. Especially when I walked in to a nearly empty space, I felt awkward. But the owner’s broad smile, genuine warmth, and nod towards an open table made me feel like I had just arrived in his living room.

Throughout the meal, service followed a straight path of predictable and well-timed choreography (see asterisked note below)*. However, the pacing of the last dish smacked loudly into some kind of hurdle. Ten minutes after clearing the previous dish, the final dish still had not arrived. What had arrived was a large bachelorette party, so I was ready to get the heck out of dodge.

Almost immediately at the point when I became annoyed, the owner came out in a rapidly-paced glide, apologizing profusely for the delay. He also brought a complimentary glass of Viognier as compensation, the perfect counterpart to the just-arriving last dish.

Insight on the Dishes:

Seasonal pickles-I knew I was in for a treat when I saw these on the menu. A harmonious zing of bright vinegar, fresh dill, various seeds, I was ready to pledge my first born to these onion, broccoli, cucumber, and fennel. If every meal had such a righteously appropriate, palate-cleansing side dish like this to accompany it, overall enjoyment of food would escalate considerably.

Course 1. Fried arborio risotto: For some odd reason, I missed the word “fried” when I ordered this, so the presented plate confused me at first. Three mounds of masterfully cooked and consistently seasoned rice later, the only confusion was how it all evaporated so quickly. Having ordered several renditions of this dish at other restaurants, all with lackluster results, this one manifested mastery of components.

Course 2. House-made fennel sausage: I knew this would be my sole excursion into the vast selection of house made charcuterie this meal, and I was looking forward to it. This featured a piquillo pepper stuffed with house made fennel sausage, accompanied by two fried squares of buckwheat polenta. An interesting, savory, and once again, masterfully balanced dish. I adore how Chef Logan seems to play with varying grains, as seen in this swapping of ubiquitous corn meal with pseudocereal.

Course 3. Pan Roasted Day Boat Scallops Caper-Brown Butter, Deviled Egg: The number of components on this dish shocked me. The scallop, a baby carrot, bacon-glazed baby brussels sprout, a deviled egg, a fennel frond, and several other touches. So much to see, and taste, and savor from such a simply described shellfish option. The scallop skated on the edge of overcooked, perhaps due to the delayed arrival to my table. However, the deviled egg was culinary cumulonimbus. Impossibly airy, hard-to-place seasonings, and blending perfectly with the multiple, other components, I can’t believe I got so excited over a deviled egg. The diversity of colors, textures, and aromas provided an interesting plate to sense and a fun one to attack with the flatware.

Bread Basket- The white bread, while obviously of freshly milled flour and much leavening care, seemed unremarkable. However, I literally wanted to kiss the baker behind the honey wheat bread. I will not wax too poetic about this complimentary staple except to say small touches like this demonstrate powerful culinary skill with understated mastery.

Inebriating Beverages: Before the meal arrived, I enjoyed the house cocktail of the evening. Beet, orange, and guava juice with gin--sounded like a train wreck but tasted like a sunset. Well balanced, deftly strained, cleanly poured, a lovely way to rev up the savoring engines.

So, yes, you know where this posting is headed...the "I"s have it!

(collective groan)

New Heights was well worth the intimation to investigate, and I hope to imbibe Chef Logan’s ideas again soon.

** Yes, I know it’s a fine dining must-do, but man it bothers me when flatware is exchanged with every plate. Will someone please think of the children, er, phosphate levels?

All of you who have been witnessing for the food of Logan Cox -- thank you. Two of us dined here a little over a week ago and the food was simply wonderful. I can understand the deserved comparison to Palena up thread. We enjoyed duck terrine, buttercup squash soup, barramundi and rockfish. I believe the online menu accurately describes the current preparations of these dishes, except the terrine, which is not listed. We'll be back.

Hello All DR members and posters,

We at the restaurant wanted to share our New Years Eve Menu with everyone!

Here's what's going to be served...

New Year’s Eve 2009

First Course

veloute of celery and black truffle caraway crusted hen egg

salad of jerusalem artichokes, smoked grapes & hazelnuts buttermilk, chive juice

crispy duck confit rutabaga mousse, parsley-radish salad

Second Course

ravioli of parsnips, vanilla & swiss chard carrot puree, duck consomme

squid ink risotto dried cranberries, apples, pine nut crumble

house made cotechino sausage crispy brussel sprout leaves, braised radish, lentils, sage

Main Course

pan seared arctic char grilled octopus, kale, candied lemon, piperade

roasted guinea hen breast smoked apple butter, crispy polenta, foie gras emulsion

braised lamb shank pickled beets, walnut custard, mustard greens, bitter cocoa

grilled vande rosse farm sirloin crispy marrow, barley salad, parsley coulis

black trumpet-madeira “pudding” roasted cauliflower, swiss chard, puffed wild rice, almonds

Dessert Course

bittersweet chocolate tart with passionfruit meringue

nougat glace with candied kumquats

rosewater sponge cake with raspberry caviar

jasmine tea mousse with sauterne glazed mango

(3 course dinner-60 dollars)

(4 course dinner-70 dollars)

Executive Chef: Logan Cox

Pastry Chef: Yasmine Sandhu

www.newheightsrestaurant.com

The menu will be offered A la Carte from 5:30 to 7 and tastings will only be available after 7 for the rest of the evening.

There is a special for DR members; if you feel like dining in several different places that night or just want to grab a quick bite we'll be offering A la Carte menu at the bar for DR Members only!

Hope you see you there and Thanks!

Logan

The menu will be offered A la Carte from 5:30 to 7 and tastings will only be available after 7 for the rest of the evening.

There is a special for DR members; if you feel like dining in several different places that night or just want to grab a quick bite we'll be offering A la Carte menu at the bar for DR Members only!

Just thought I'd remind any last-minute revelers wondering where to eat tonight.

Say hi to Jason, who's making the best margaritas in the city right now.

Furthermore, you'll get to see Kavita Singh in a sari and a tikka.

Hey Guys,

Could you post your Restaurant Week menu? Friends want to go to dinner for RW and I think New Heights was one of the most interesting places participating. They normally trust my judgment, but I would love to be able to send them the menu.

Thanks.

So I have been not very impressed with RW week of late, but we had dinner at New Heights last night and it was lovely. The gin list is absolutely wonderful, I loved the krahn and wished I could remember what my companions had.

I had the chicken liver pate to start which paired with the pickled vegetables was perfectly savory, creamy, crispy and tangy. The char entree was creamy in texture with crisp skin and it paired excellently with the broccoli rabe and sunchoke puree. For dessert I had the ginger creme brulee which was full of fresh ginger taste and the homemade biscotti served with it was some of the best biscotti I have had.

But Hubby's pork dish was really incredible. The pork flavor in it was so intense, while the texture was not "toothsome" at all, but nice and tender. He had the doughnuts for dessert which were good, but the sauce that came with them was incredible and just addicting. He also had the soup which was good, but I liked my pate more.

Ambiance was nice and we weren't rushed, the server was excellent, he chilled our wine while we sipped our cocktails. Made sure we had everything we needed at the right time and had good input.

Anyway highly recommend New Heights for RW or otherwise. It really was excellent and if the kitchen can do RW that well, that bodes nicely for normal dinner. I am looking forward to the restaurant in the future.

This is hubby's "birthday week" so Monday was lunch at Vidalia, Wednesday was dinner at New Heights, and Saturday is dinner at Palena. NH did not disappoint, We had a lovely dinner and I think will now have competition for our standard Palena celebrations! :angry: I do feel the similar respect for the ingredients that Chef Ruta brings to Palena at NH. Kavita was a pleasure to meet and talk to,

I had the chicken liver pate to start which paired with the pickled vegetables was perfectly savory, creamy, crispy and tangy. The char entree was creamy in texture with crisp skin and it paired excellently with the broccoli rabe and sunchoke puree. For dessert I had the ginger creme brulee which was full of fresh ginger taste and the homemade biscotti served with it was some of the best biscotti I have had.

But Hubby's pork dish was really incredible. The pork flavor in it was so intense, while the texture was not "toothsome" at all, but nice and tender. He had the doughnuts for dessert which were good, but the sauce that came with them was incredible and just addicting. He also had the soup which was good, but I liked my pate more.

Ambiance was nice and we weren't rushed, the server was excellent, he chilled our wine while we sipped our cocktails. Made sure we had everything we needed at the right time and had good input.

Anyway highly recommend New Heights for RW or otherwise. It really was excellent and if the kitchen can do RW that well, that bodes nicely for normal dinner. I am looking forward to the restaurant in the future.

Similar notes here, starting with the bread basket. We had to taste each one. The white was very good, the cornbread was also moist and tasty, but that brown bread was exceptional. We actually asked for a second serving of it, and this time received a raisin bread as well. We were pretty hungry so unfortunately we filled up on it as we ate it all. But we would have been OK had we not had an extra course!*

Mr. S had the soup, Char and Chocolate Souffle, and I had the salad, pork and doughnuts. Since neither of us had the pate I can't compare, but Mr. S said the soup was very good and a successful melding of flavors where if one had not known the ingredients, one could not have guessed them. The salad was fresh and flavorful, and a rare treat to have a dressing made with a walnut vinaigrette that I can actually eat. Due to allergies, I'm usually left with fresh lemon or vinegar with no oil for a salad.

Ktmoomau's assessment of the Char mirrors hubby's comments, but I have to add to the description of that pork dish. Not only was the pork seared perfectly and moist inside, but that smoky apple butter was a match made in heaven. And I had to go back to the menu to figure out "Buckwheat polenta" was what was served with it as I couldn't place the flavors, but it was another revelation. The souffle did not disappoint, and that caramel sauce with the doughnuts was definitely addicting. Decaf again, done well and the perfect complement to the sweet desserts.

*I always review menus in advance due to my allergies and I found that I actually had a choice and couldn't decide between the pork or the mushroom risotto. When I was speaking with Kavita I had decided on the pork, but she generously offered to bring me a "taste" of the risotto as well. That was a lovely gesture on its own, but when she brought the "taste" it turned out to be a good size serving for each of us. And again, the flavors were indistinguishable to parse when melded together. A lovely, creamy, rendition that I am happy to say I was able to sample.

Service was lovely, and from a former server at Palena so we felt at home. There were no excuses; everything went seamlessly during a packed RW dinner, which just shows that it can be done, and done well.

Frustrating meal at New Heights last night. All of the food was quite good--nothing spectacular, but quite good. Each and every plate was finished. All of the appetizers--from the grilled mackerel to the scallop dumpling to the black trumpet mushroom soup--were prepared with evident skill and creativity. Three of our party had a duck entree that included a duck leg, a pheasant, chicken, and fois gras sausage, and a hunk of bacon. An excellent course, if a bit busy on the plate. For those of you looking for a great vegetarian dish, head to New Heights and try the agnelloti with wild mushrooms. At a table of committed carnivores, I think this was viewed as the standout dish of the night. And the donuts for dessert were a hit as was the ginger creme brulee.

So, why was it frustrating? Glacial service. We had a standard three-course meal--appetizers, entrees, and dessert. There's no amuse bouche. We arrived at 7:30 and left just after 10:30. Over three hours. When we arrived just before 7:30, the restaurant was near empty. A half-hour later, it was full, and I just don't think the staff or the kitchen could handle it. (Since we could not get a 7:00 reservation, it's clear that this is a strategy of the restaurant. I'm not sure it's serving them well.) Our particular server had a frustrating tendency of promising to do something right away (open a bottle of wine, tell us the specials, etc.) and then disappearing for ten minutes before doing it.

All in all, a good meal that would have been even better had the meal been paced better.

Just a quick follow-up to my previous post. Kavita Singh, owner of New Heights, sent me an extraordinarily gracious and generous note last evening. She apologized for the service we received, and invited us to be their guests for a complimentary dinner in the future. I also owe them a correction and an apology. Apparently, the restaurant was empty when we showed up because a number of parties showed up half-an-hour late for their 7:00 reservations, not because of a misconceived reservations strategy. The consequence was that an understaffed kitchen on that evening got slammed. Let that be a lesson about (1) making assumptions and (2) the consequences for all diners of showing up late for a reservation.

In any case, I post this with some reluctance. My cynical side worries that people will see this as an opportunity to exploit a well-intentioned restaurant owner with complaints in the future, but my more optimistic side smiles at honest acts of goodwill like Kavita's response.

New Heights has turned a frustrating experience and a frustrated customer into somebody who will both return himself and recommend it to friends in the future.

vg food, very small portions. Three courses, still hungry. Swiss chard wrapped around faux navaronnes of lamb cut from the leg was kind of fussy but very very tasty. the local lamb was certainly no slouch. sigh. It's a trend I've seen often elsewhere--farm to table expressed as small portions. I go on record as resentful.

I had a very satisfying meal last night at New Heights. Started downstairs with an expertly made Old Raj Red martini. Strolled upstairs to a cozy window seat in a busy restaurant. Highlights included savory house made charcuterie, delicious sunchoke agnolotti and sensational, perfectly cooked halibut. A nicely selected and sized cheese course rounded out an excellent meal. Way to go, Logan, and thanks to Kavita for gracious, perfectly paced service!

Others have noted the unusually comfortable bar seats, artful plating that stops short of fussy, unique and beyond masterful execution of all things grain, charcuterie, pickle, and just about anything else that emerges from the New Heights kitchen and the first floor bar called The Gin Joint.

But what might not have received mention is its alter identity…

The Gin Joint is a convert factory! With bargain prices across the menu, this is the perfect forum for the “not yet” palate-conscious to awaken their inner epicure. Earlier this week, my latest Gin Joint jaunt brought yet another colleague into the fold.

As he enjoyed the quickly-arriving Salt and Vinegar Chips with Anchovy Mayo ($6), he proclaimed “Why aren’t all bars serving this RIGHT NOW?” Appearing with the tiniest of freshly minced chives and flake salt dotted on top, perfectly crisped whisper-thin potatoes, pungent-yet-balanced and effortlessly clingy emulsion, this item always raises the bar for what bar food should be. The chips began to disappear as we took a closer look at the gin menu. Almost three dozen varieties, changing all the time, well-described and well-organized. If you've never had the chance to try Fever Tree or Q Tonic (you blasphemer*!), the Gin Joint offers those and other varieties.

Small plates and appetizers followed. Pork short ribs, stuffed piquillo pepper, rosemary-scented sausage with quince and pine nut, steamed scallop dumpling, and smoked hamachi with steelhead roe and puffs of avocado cream. My colleague enjoyed the hamachi so much, he ordered a second, just “to try all the components together again”. This from someone who, up until that day, had claimed indifference to nearly everything edible and used the word component only to describe computer hardware. The one flat note for me was the pepper, the brandade stuffing too amorphous for discernible interest. The show-stopping bite of the night was the scallop dumpling’s ($8) impossibly spongy texture and briny essence, a marvel-inducing masterpiece.

The bar opens at 5 during the week, and the kitchen begins menu service around 5:30. Arriving early is advisable, the later it gets the louder it gets in this small space. Parking in the area is OK that time of day, but the location is also just around the corner from the Woodley Park Metro station.

WHAT WOULD IT TAKE to convince you to hit the Gin Joint at New Heights sometime in the next month? Seize this opportunity to rev up your gin savvy before DC’s sweltering summer, and bring along an aspiring epicure.

*Mark 16:15, -gospel, +gin

The Gin Joint is a convert factory! With bargain prices across the menu, this is the perfect forum for the “not yet” palate-conscious to awaken their inner epicure. Earlier this week, my latest Gin Joint jaunt brought yet another colleague into the fold.

As he enjoyed the quickly-arriving Salt and Vinegar Chips with Anchovy Mayo ($6), he proclaimed “Why aren’t all bars serving this RIGHT NOW?” Appearing with the tiniest of freshly minced chives and flake salt dotted on top, perfectly crisped whisper-thin potatoes, pungent-yet-balanced and effortlessly clingy emulsion, this item always raises the bar for what bar food should be. The chips began to disappear as we took a closer look at the gin menu. Almost three dozen varieties, changing all the time, well-described and well-organized. If you've never had the chance to try Fever Tree or Q Tonic (you blasphemer*!), the Gin Joint offers those and other varieties.

In addition to the great gin selection, the bartender there is pretty creative with his own cocktails. Last time I was there he had a fantastic watermelon cooler with a touch of salt that was perfect for a warm day, and I'm intrigued by his bourbon bacon concoction.

Jason, the bartender at New Heights, is introducing a new cocktail menu tomorrow, complete with some weather-appropriate tropical drinks. I'm sipping a delicious Mai Tai made with fresh fruit juices and homemade almond syrup as I type this that he was kind enough to let me preview, and there will be a Singapore Sling as well as a few other interesting sounding concoctions. Not that I really needed many new reasons to visit this place :lol:.

I tried this last night and felt like I had to let you know about this drink that Jason has concocted...

Cilantro and Cucumber infused Vodka with Tomato Water... I've tried all of his cocktails but this thing was the best thing he has made.

You gotta come try this thing... So good. I think he's calling it the 'Maryland Tom'

Hello All,

I've held my tongue at bit becuase I've been pretty busy as of late :( , but while I believe in an occasional healthy prop from the staff of a restaurant, I tend not to post about my own place too often...since we already have a few golden serial promoters out there :lol: However , I feel quite strongly about what I'm about to say and can now take a few moments and share with all. IMHO, New HEights is one of the best restaurants in the city.....it is, and has always been in my top 20, Yet it is also one of the most "elusive" restaurants when telling folks about it. People always say "oh, I've heard such great things" or "is that where its located?"...."I've been by there, just never been in" :):lol::lol:

I had the pleasure of working there for a scant 7 weeks...not enought time to even register a blip in time..but New Heights has been there for 25 years!!!!!!!!!! That in and alone of itself is a feat that VERY FEW can lay claim to. Umbi Singh is one of the most gracious and laid back individuals that I've sincerely had the pleasure to work for as well as be on the recieving end of his restaurants hospitality. Kavita is another restaurant great that has the passion and honest desire to make sure that her guests are attended to in everyway possible. They are two owners that care about their diners experience and perform so many "stealth points of service" that the guests doesnt even notice the many silent procedures that make their dining experience. They do it becuase they love what they do and they don't remind people of it or boast and post :lol:

And lets take a look at the real reason the restaurant has maintained its longevity...the food. A great array of Chefs have performed in that kitchen. From Alison Swope in the beginning to Logan Cox now.

Logan is without a doubt, one of the best chefs in the city!!!! He is inventive, passionate, laid back and an amazingly nice guy. None of that really matters unless he can cook and produce..which he does with flying colors. If you doubt me or have never been to New Heights, I suggest that you make a reservation or just walk in and try the food. The food always speaks for itself and Logan hits the mark.

I dont mean to stand on my soapbox but I feel strongly about this restaurant, its staff and its Chef. I had hoped to make a home there, but circumstances took me in a different direction and we must all do what is right and necessary for our livelihood. What does really burn me is the recent Washingtonian Up and coming chefs issue that really missed an opportunity by not mentioning Logan. No disrespect to anyone that was covered in that article, but the writers did themselves and the readers a diservice by not covering a true food genius.

But again, I ask that you be the judge and go to New Heights if you haven't already been..and take some friends that have never been there with you. Break bread, drink wine, converse and eat great food.

For those of you that don't know where its located....New Heights is on Calvert street...between Open City and Chipotle on Conn Ave...yes, thats the place in the middle, with the awning :lol:

• Like 1

Dinner at the bar, after a too-long absence.

The word is that there will be a new bar menu within a few days (maybe tomorrow?), so there will be new things to taste.

Meanwhile the things we had tonight, mostly from the "upstairs" menu, were all fantastic. E.g., salt cod croquettes with a perfect accompaniment of fried fish skin. Composed mushroom salad. Mind-blowing squash soup. And masala spice donuts with dipping sauces. These are delicious fall dishes, carefully thought out and beautifully prepared.

And friendly neighborhood conversation at the bar, a really nice vibe all around.

If you had five hours to spare and could spend it leisurely and happily, then I would recommend saddling up to the bar here and make yourself comfortable, as glee4 and I did last night.

After reading MBK and lackadaisi's disappointed report, I really wanted to shout "wish you could come here instead!," but that would be comparing apples to oranges because how can you mix sushi and other cuisines?

For us though, from 5:05pm to a little after 10:00pm, this was comfort central: the warm smiles and greetings of Amy and Kavita (plus other unfamiliar faces who were very welcoming), the wonderful board of charcuterie by Chef Logan Cox, and the amazing sprinkles of brown butter crack on dessert by Chef Johnny (Jonny?). Oh, and of course, yummy bits of alcoholic goodness.

If you do order the charcuterie board, the chicken liver and venison proscuitto must be on the "must order" list. I don't usually order chicken liver because, for some reason, I always get the grainy bits, much like, inevitably, when I order oysters or scallops, specks of sand like saying "hello" to my taste buds. Not so here. Refined, flavorful and smooth, it went amazingly well on the chips of the salt and vinegar chips with anchovy mayo (which was chockful of garlicky goodness that I had to avoid but glee4 liked). The venison was not all gamey and was almost tender, yet delicate for such an animal--quite easily mistaken for braseola.

The cheese board looked amazing, but we decided to forgo it for the chocolate mousse and bread pudding (the latter I can't remember the exact name of). The latter's presentation, as Amy puts it, was indeed a lovely "winter wonderland." Sprinkled by frozen brown butter flakes and blocks of meringue around the not-overly-saturated bread pudding and pear and celeriac sorbet, it was like a deconstructed snowglobe. Edible, of course. Inhaling-type of edible, might I note.

And last, but not least, my golden, buttery, soft, squares of cornbread. Oh, how I could just sit here and eat nothing but an entire basket full of cornbread (I think I did last night in fact). (The artisan bread was great too, but oooh that cornbread.)

Like so many accolades up above, and like the last time I was here, the upstairs was not as hoppin' as the bar area last night. But I hope that will change.

Amy has some nice New Year's Eve cocktails planned, and if you find yourself in the neighborhood, I hope you plan on stopping by to say hello on NYE. It's just a mere skip from the Woodley Park metro stop. (Maybe some Death's Door gin or Ransom's Old Tom gin might entice you here as well.)

Barbara and I had a very nice dinner at New Heights last night for restaurant week. Three of the dishes, the chicken liver parfait, the duck confit, and the roast pork loin were very good. The grouper with kale, celeriac puree, and grapefruit sauce was cooked perfectly, but the grapefruit sauce was incredibly harsh and bitter. Fortunately, the grouper was perfect. Cooked perfectly, tasted perfect. It's one of those things where if it hadn't been perfect in every other way, I would have said something, but I didn't want to waste a piece of grouper that had otherwise been treated so well. I managed to push the sauce and the thin slabs of carrot that carried much of it off to the side so I could enjoy the rest of the meal.

Barbara had the dark chocolate tart for dessert, which was a small, rich, chocolate delivery device. My dessert of the citrus mousse was more creative. It was, in the words of our server, a "Deconstructed Key Lime Pie". It was better than that, a lime mousse with graham cracker crumbs and sugar bits on the plate and meringue cracker shards on and in the mousse. This is one of the best desserts I've had in a long time.