Restaurants Open During Hurricane Sandy

DonRocks

Many restaurants will be closing today or tomorrow. If you're a restaurateur, and know your status, please chime in here and keep us updated.

I, for one, have no food in the house, and a 15-year-old who will probably be wanting lunch in a few hours.

Two out of my three appointments today (one in DC, one in MD) have called to cancel (and I'm waiting for my third, in VA, to do the same), so I suspect there are going to be a lot of business closures throughout the area.

Not necessarily restaurant related, but Brookville Market and CVS in Cleveland Park are both open. Brookville had bread / milk / eggs and no water.

Thanks Dave - information like this is useful. Twitter is wonderful, but it's also important to have a central repository of data that doesn't get buried. The Twitter hashtag #Sandy was getting 5-10 Tweets *per second* a short while ago.

Note also this news about the Wegman's in Fairfax and the Target in Burke, i.e., it might be a *great* time to get to these places.

There's nothing more annoying than sniveling little nits overreacting to a little rain, but this storm is pretty big, and I'd be very surprised if there weren't power outages in the next day or two. Sustained winds have a way of snapping tree branches, that's for sure.

I saw folks in the Italian Store at around 9:30 this morining preparing to open. The Starbucks and the GIant in the same strip were also open. I do not know how long they will remain open. It would be best to call ahead. The Java Shack was closed, as was the Starbucks at Court House.

Boundary Road will give it the good old college try and open for dinner. We will offer a limited menu and probably close early. Please call us to confirm if you're in the neighborhood. Please be safe and only swing by if you live around the corner. The bar's open now and we have meats and cheeses available for snacks.

Today gave me the opportunity to coin a phrase (which is so pitifully apt to a peculiar type of non-neighborhood restaurant--no offense to small mom and pops without the resources or local powerhouses with a conscience-- which has proliferated in and plagued the DC dining scene, and which could only exist here, oft-times with much ballyhoo from the Post and others, helmed by ex-TV game show contestants or license-fee only photogenic and pouty-lipped star-fuckable "celebrities" or those just provincially and pathetically wishing they were) while indulging in my shameless and, quite frankly, unhealthy (as many who know me know), possibly fetishistic, obsession with Timberland, Filson, Schott, Pendleton and Duofold (among others) gear before doing my rounds in Arlington--which was "a Members Only jacket in a Frankenstorm".

I hope to meme the fuck out of this phrase, especially as it applies to restaurant fads and failures, and in fact first shared it with one Monsieur Carman, who happened to be dining at Ray's in SS--I think that's where, but can't be sure-- hopefully seeking solace from the wilderness and a lifetime of toil and blood where blackness is a virtue and the road is full of mud--but certainly on his own dime, as I can not imagine the Post expensing even a cashew at one of my joints at this point.

All this to applaud, really, those who preserved the safety of their staff, as necessary, or served the public, as we all do as best as possible, when possible.

And, if it comes up, think about who's wearing a Member's Only jacket in a Frankenstorm.

Oh, and, with apologies to Young Goodman Zimmerman, who will give you Frankenshelter from the Frankenstorm?

(Who'd've thought I could've worked some Hawthorne into my usual Nabokov/Pynchon/Shai Agnon/Primo Levi/Biggie Smalls schtick?)

C'mon Landrum, you couldn't work in a Blowin' in the Frankenwind joke too? A Hard Frankenrain's Gonna Fall? Idiot Frankenwind?

I really wish more restaurants would use their social media accounts constructively and strategically. Seeing menu updates is nice and all, but during the three or four weather emergencies a year--or even federal holidays--those accounts are your moneymakers. I'm not going to wander around the neighborhood in the hopes that someone is open. But if I KNOW you're open, I'm probably going to rally the troops and stop by.

I really wish more restaurants would use their social media accounts constructively and strategically. Seeing menu updates is nice and all, but during the three or four weather emergencies a year--or even federal holidays--those accounts are your moneymakers. I'm not going to wander around the neighborhood in the hopes that someone is open. But if I KNOW you're open, I'm probably going to rally the troops and stop by.

And I wish that more restaurants would use this central repository of data known as donrockwell.com - which is read only by people who actively tune into this channel, and are thus actively interested in the information - more constructively and strategically, especially considering it doesn't cost them a dime, and the target audience is hyper-focused on what they have to say.

I saw a couple other "open and closed" compilation lists thrown together by 20-something interns yesterday. I called a few places, and about 50% of the entries were dead wrong. They may have been correct at the moment of publication (or assembly), but the situation changed so rapidly and dynamically, that things became outdated within hours, if not minutes. When restaurateurs themselves come online and say, "we're open, but only until 4 PM," you can pretty well bet that it's accurate.

My sincere thanks to everyone in the industry who responded in this thread. 40 replies and 1300 views in 36 hours - that translates into dollar$ for savvy industry professionals, as well as accurate, current information for potential diners.

And I wish that more restaurants would use this central repository of data known as donrockwell.com - which is read only by people who actively tune into this channel, and are thus actively interested in the information - more constructively and strategically, especially considering it doesn't cost them a dime, and the target audience is hyper-focused on what they have to say.

Don, someone had to tell you someday, so I'll step up:

DonRockwell.com is social media.

Standard websites are repositories for information; they may be updated regularly with press releases, event announcements, or menu updates, but that content is a one-way street, a blast of data into the world.

Social media are an avenue for interactive dialog--a data blast that encourages response, a question and answer, a conversation among multiple interested parties. It is DR.com's social exchange--and thoughtful moderation--that elevate it from a regular online community to something truly special and unique. It may be unprecedented in the social media world for its organization, civility, and usefulness, but a social medium it is nonetheless.

Sorry to have to break it to you. ;)

Don, someone had to tell you someday, so I'll step up:

DonRockwell.com is social media.

Standard websites are repositories for information; they may be updated regularly with press releases, event announcements, or menu updates, but that content is a one-way street, a blast of data into the world.

Social media are an avenue for interactive dialog--a data blast that encourages response, a question and answer, a conversation among multiple interested parties. It is DR.com's social exchange--and thoughtful moderation--that elevate it from a regular online community to something truly special and unique. It may be unprecedented in the social media world for its organization, civility, and usefulness, but a social medium it is nonetheless.

Sorry to have to break it to you. ;)

NO!

WE ARE *NOT* SOCIAL MEDIA.

We are social media only in the sense that we've gotten our asses handed to us by Facebook and Yelp.

We do NOT come into your living rooms, unless you set your television sets to our channel.

We do not get in your face.

We remain a content-driven news channel that will survive, or die, by its substance. Period.

NO!

We are social media only in the sense that we've gotten our asses handed to us by Facebook and Yelp.

We do NOT come into your living rooms, unless you set your television sets to our channel.

We remain a content-driven news channel that will survive, or die, by its substance. Period.

My question is: what's wrong with being social media? You say it like it's a bad thing. Social media is defined by content produced by individuals on an easy(ish) to use platform that was designed to facilitate social interaction. Isn't that what we're doing here? Isn't that why this is in a forum format, in order to facilitate discussion among many users?

As far as the the fact that this website does not "come into [my] living room" you're describing what some people would consider a feature, not a bug. For example, RSS has improved my life greatly because it means that content is sent to me instead of me having to go out and harvest it from individual websites. Maybe you don't see value in this, which is a fair opinion, but it's still a personal preference.

I'm struggling to understand what would be lost if this site were henceforth forever labeled as "social media" by everyone who dines in DC...

Resistance to change, especially to labels, is usually grounded in fear or aversion to some kind of loss. What's lost?

(p.s. it's already gone)

(whatever it is)

(this is social media)

NO!

So, you don't think eGullet qualifies as social media either?

Internet forums predate the term "social media" but that doesn't mean that they are not now subsumed under the category "social media." They're user-driven and interactive.

I think Pat hits it on the head.

One of the things that amazed me was how much Twitter reminded me of old IRC days during the hurricane. A constant flow of traffic, conversations going on, and if you see a retweet it was like someone quoting someone else from a different room...

How is this site not social media? It's definitely social. Just look at the picnic a few days ago. It encourages user content and participation.

How is this site not social media? It's definitely social. Just look at the picnic a few days ago. It encourages user content and participation.

Five Six Seven! Fun Fun Fun!

This is Wikipedia,

and not social media.

It is a document,

it is a work of art.

You are all my paint,

my pens and pencils.

We're not a blog,

we're a resource.

I am a

gardener.

Flowers,