dr.com 2013 Spring Picnic - May 5th, 12-6, Fort Hunt Park

DonRocks

I am looking forward to the picnic, something to get me through the next month-I'll be bringing ribs, pulled pork, & poundcake- nothing new, but versatile choices...maybe the fermented rib tips again...I'm so glad the weather is turning nice, we should have a lovely picnic...

Question - I am going to Atlanta to pick up the husband and dog (final phase of DC move - phew) on April 22, so does anyone have interest in any Georgia brews for the picnic? I'm not drinking beer anymore, but hubby was already probably going to bring some Sweetwater and Terrapin up to DC for himself since we can't get it up here, so I figured that might be something worth sharing. Let me know, and Smokey and the Bandit will make sure to bring enough for anyone who wants a taste! :P

I will be there +1 but no idea what to bring, yet.

Will be giving younger son the Suburu and taking back the much-battered and much-abused and now-thoroughly-disreputable Sienna, looks like it's been in a mosh pit, perhaps a brief window of opportunity to once again bring the grill for more grilled veggies before selling it (for a pittance) and getting a newer-or-maybe-even-new Toyota something-or-other.

Don't have to decide today, it's almost a month away.

The picnic is coming around in less than two weeks now, so time to bump this thread. I think we're pretty good on supplies, though maybe we need a few more plastic cups (Thistle?).

Thistle and I will both be there early [exact time TBD, but the permit for the site gives it to us at 10 AM]. Anybody else who would like to help with set-up and/or breakdown is most welcome to do so. Let us know, either on the thread or by PM.

The site allows beer and wine, and it's always good if people can bring water and soft drinks/juices. Coolers with ice are needed too. I can bring a big cooler but am not sure about ice.

Donations to help defray the cost of the site rental ($200) are requested. If the amount collected exceeds the rental cost, it will go to charity. Last time it was DC Central Kitchen in honor of Mrs B. Any ideas for this time?

As with all dr.com events, new members are welcome and encouraged to attend. Come meet people! If you are like our fearless leader and don't cook, bring beverages or chips, or bakery goods, or...whatever food you please.

I'll update the list as people post. If you'd rather not RSVP publicly, that's okay too, but having a head count and idea of types of food in advance is helpful.

Probably attendees and dishes:

Thistle + number TBD: ribs, pulled pork, poundcake, and maybe fermented rib tips
bettyjoan + 1: maybe Atlanta beer?
lovehockey: Nanaimo Bars
agm+ 1: food :)
Pat + number TBD: shredded Swiss chard salad and chocolate stout bundt cake
Kibbee Nayee + 3: kibbee nayee, bread and trimmings
weezy + (1 - 3): gluten-free lemon bars + dish TBD
lperry: vegetarian dish with fresh produce + herbs
goldenticket +1: mac n cheese, side/appetizer
Ilaine + 1: maybe grilled vegetables?
goodeats: dessert
KMango + 1: dish TBD

TheMatt (+ 1?): dessert

DanielK + 3: something baked TBD

monavano + 1: savory/protein

ktmoomau + 1 (maybe): dessert + dish TBD

scottjohnston + cucas87: picnic supplies, food TBD

mame11: cole slaw

Well I missed this topic entirely! I'm too busy with taxes from Feb to Apr so rely mostly on threads I am subscribed to--I thought I voted for a date, or had at least intended to, but for some reason was not subscribed to this thread. So I just now found out that it is in less than 2 weeks-Yikes! I may be able to make it. I need to check my schedule, though, since I'll be traveling in May.

Hubby and I will definitely be there (and I instructed him to join the site ASAP). Unfortunately, we couldn't get the Atlanta beer we wanted to bring, due to our time in Atlanta being too early for the liquor stores. However, we did get some NC brews on our way up to DC, so we will happily share those. I will probably also bring some barley salad and maybe my famous ginger chewies. As this is my first DR picnic, and as I am pretty stoked to be back in a kitchen after a lengthy absence, I'm thinking I will be pretty enthusiastic about the cooking. :D

Hubby and I will definitely be there (and I instructed him to join the site ASAP). Unfortunately, we couldn't get the Atlanta beer we wanted to bring, due to our time in Atlanta being too early for the liquor stores. However, we did get some NC brews on our way up to DC, so we will happily share those. I will probably also bring some barley salad and maybe my famous ginger chewies. As this is my first DR picnic, and as I am pretty stoked to be back in a kitchen after a lengthy absence, I'm thinking I will be pretty enthusiastic about the cooking. :D

Thanks for the membership boost :) . Lurkers and +1s are encouraged to register before coming to the picnic, but it is not required.

I look forward to meeting you and your husband.

Change in what I'm bringing, because these are on the way. :) Whatever it is will need to be cuttable.

Cool! It might be possible to do something like a nut loaf with those, or cuts of cheese, if you didn't want to go towards baked goods.

Thistle says she is bringing me an Isphahan rose bush, and I have offered her some excess kefir grains in recompense, but, in the event that she does not want kefir grains, will offer them to someone else.

Thistle gets first dibs, but if she does not want them, who wants second dibs?

These grains make amazing kefir. Two days on the kitchen counter with organic grass fed whole milk makes the most amazing kefir. Could not be easier.

For the picnic, DH wants to make caprese. I told him it would be scarfed up. He said, that's the point.

If the weather and Southwest Airlines cooperate, I hope to make it in the 3 p.m. range. If I can make it I will bring Nanaimo Bars, which are a Canadian dessert institution.

My trip has been cancelled, so I and Nanaimo Bars will definitely be in attendance.

Probable attendees and dishes:

Thistle + number TBD: ribs, pulled pork, poundcake, and maybe fermented rib tips
bettyjoan + 1: NC beer
Pat + 1: shredded Swiss chard salad and chocolate stout bundt cake
weezy + (1 - 3): gluten-free lemon bars + dish TBD
lperry: vegetarian dish involving cool cut-out shapes
Ilaine + 1: Caprese
goodeats: dessert
TheMatt (+ 1?): dessert
monavano + 1: savory/protein
booklovinbabe +1: dish TBD
John William G + 1: dish TBD

The weather forecast is looking great for Sunday! If you haven't made up your mind to attend the picnic, it's not too late. Everybody's welcome! It's a fun opportunity to meet new people and catch up with old friends.

Just bring a favorite dish to share*, a couple bucks to kick in for the site rental fee, and maybe something to drink (beer, wine, water, soda/juice).

* it doesn't have to be homemade - cheese, charcuterie, prepared foods, baked good, chips and dip, etc. It all gets eaten :)

After seeing Goldenticket mention "chips and dip", I think I'm going to bring some. Why? Well, I haven't had chips and onion dip in a long time. And, nope, it's not going to be fancy artisinal free-range organic dip, no, I'm talking good ol' fashioned Lipton Onion Soup mix and sour cream!

After seeing Goldenticket mention "chips and dip", I think I'm going to bring some. Why? Well, I haven't had chips and onion dip in a long time. And, nope, it's not going to be fancy artisinal free-range organic dip, no, I'm talking good ol' fashioned Lipton Onion Soup mix and sour cream!

Woo-hoo! I love Lipton Onion Soup dip. Talking guilty pleasures here...

This picnic is going be great, as it always is. Listen, if you folks want to have a little pow-wow during the picnic, come up with whether or not you'd like me to get some sponsored dishes for the Autumn 2013 Event. I think it would be wonderful to serve our own dishes side-by-side with those of our partners, or other sponsors. Hell, why not - it's free advertising for them, and it's free food for us. The last time I offered this, people weren't interested, but be aware that it's always a possibility, and I think it would be a huge draw for people sitting on the fence (and even for people sitting comfortably on the other side of the fence). If I have 4 picnics to work with, we'd get 200 people to come. A pound of sliced Stachowski pastrami and rye sitting there for the taking? Well, why not? Everybody wins! I'm not going to push this idea, against my better judgment, but I hope attendees decide on it themselves. It'll also draw in brand new members which is important to me, and that's a big reason why I want to do it.

I'm going to make the Sicilian cauliflower salad again, along with the gluten-free lemon bars. And if I get a wild hair, who knows, maybe I'll throw something else into the car to bring along. I'm definitely +1, maybe +2.

• Like 1

Don, I don't think people are against the idea of restaurants bringing food to the picnic. The more the merrier, especially if some of the staff from the restaurant were to hang out with us. It's the "sponsored" label that rubs people the wrong way.

If Jamie wants to send over some pastrami and rye, and throw a couple of business cards or brochures on the table, awesome. If Jamie actually comes to the picnic (he has before), even better. If Jamie hangs a little sign in his place, advertising the picnic, and prompting people to sign up for DR.com and come to the picnic, brilliant.

But a big sign on the wall that says "DR Picnic, Sponsored by Stachowski's", not so much.

• Like 2

But a big sign on the wall that says "DR Picnic, Sponsored by Stachowski's", not so much.

There wouldn't be any "sign on the wall," but what would be so terrible about having not one business card and set of brochures, but twenty? Instead of Cold Country Salmon having a demo, why not have 20 places doing demos? Yes, it becomes county fair-like, but there's nothing wrong with a county fair. (County fairs advertise big time.)

As long as you guys are content with 30-40-50 people showing up, it's fine with me, but I *know* that more people would have a better time if the venue was larger and better represented. We have 20 members who are cartwheel-happy with the way it currently is, and another 3,000 who don't attend. Granted, the 20 members are part of our core, and I never want to do anything to alienate them; on the other hand, I want more people to be interested in this. So maybe as a compromise, I'd ask the members themselves to try and drum up more support in the future - this event is definitely shrinking year-over-year. I wanted to bring this up now so you could discuss it at the picnic - my feelings about this really aren't that strong, but they are piqued every time the picnic comes around.

Linda, I don't think there are enough months in the year to have more than two events. I don't see neon signs blinking, but I do envision, next to Zora's Posole, a platter of chicken wings from DC Coast. Maybe you'll even make a new friend with the AGM who brought them. Or whatever. I've always tried to co-mingle restaurants with the dining public, and it would be no different here. I'm not even sure I can find the time to do much with it, but I'd certainly be willing to make a few phone calls. From the perspective of someone 50 yards away, I don't envision any visual changes except more people.

I guess the only point I'm trying to make is that I'd like to use these picnics as opportunities to grow the community, as well as to celebrate the community we currently have.

I don't think anyone is preventing or stopping you from doing that, Don. Members from the industry have always been welcome at the picnics, and I don't think there would have been/be any problem with them doing what you've described.

Will you be there Sunday so you can tell us a bit more about what you have in mind and how you'll get restaurants/industry folks engaged?

Indeed, but with onion dip comes the eternal question: Ruffles or Wavy Lays?

My vote is Ruffles, if you're counting :) . Veggies would be good with the dip too, if anybody is looking for something to bring.

It looks like we could use more proteins and veggie-type stuff. The dessert table should be awesome. This might be the first time ever we don't have deviled eggs, so anybody without something to bring could keep that in mind ;)

As with all dr.com events, new members are welcome and encouraged to attend.

bettyjoan + 1: NC beer, barley salad, maybe raspberry buttermilk pie or other dessert
l

Pat + 1: shredded Swiss chard salad and chocolate stout bundt cake; beer; water

weezy + (1 - 2): gluten-free lemon bars + cauliflower salad

lperry: vegetarian dish involving cool cut-out shapes

Ilaine + 1: Caprese

TheMatt (+ 1?): Lipton’s Onion Soup Dip and potato chips

DanielK + 3: Shrimp/veggie salad and deviled eggs

monavano + 1: Bo Ssam

booklovinbabe +1: dish TBD

John William G + 1: wine + cheese

Thanks for keeping the thread at the top, Don :huh:

Will you be there Sunday so you can tell us a bit more about what you have in mind and how you'll get restaurants/industry folks engaged?

Oh, I can tell you now: I'll just pick up the phone, and/or send an email. Really, almost every major restaurant is represented here already - it would just be reaching out to a subset of the members that we already have. Remember, Antonio's fred chicken stemmed from this idea a few years ago. :)

It looks like we could use more proteins and veggie-type stuff. The dessert table should be awesome. This might be the first time ever we don't have deviled eggs, so anybody without something to bring could keep that in mind ;)

Changing my food item to some kind of shrimp/veggie salad.

And deviled eggs. :-)