Radius Pizza, Mount Pleasant - Owners Matt and Lenka Culbertson (As Of Summer, 2012) Come From Cowboy Cafe - Closed

The mushrooms on Radius's pizzas are worth noting. Not those thin, wimpy slices usually strewn on with abandon by other places, these are quarters and halves of button mushrooms that add a layer of texture and a burst of earthy, mushroomy flavor. They make even the routine pepperoni-mushroom-onion combo something a little special.

Favas have been on the menu in pasta for the last 3 weeks.....

Yes, in the kick ass fettucini Gennaro described above, but that week they were featured in a soup and on pizza. Both were great but I could swim in that fava soup. They're gone for now though.

My current favorite salad around is the arugula, blueberry and feta. Perfect light antidote to the fettucini, which I continue to inhale on a way too regular basis. Ferhat's right about the nutella ice cream-well balanced without being too sweet. I like to pair it with the strawberry sorbet, which has the texture of gelatto.

summer is very much on the menu now.

heirloom tomato gazpacho is cool, light and completely smooth, silky with a drop of olive oil here and there, and some vinegar moving into the background, but dominated by a bright juicy tomato flavor supported by submerged halves of whole grape tomatoes and tender ciabatta croutons.

along with the usual pecorino shavings and sharp dark green smidgens of something taking over for the ramp seasoning, the pork shank fettucini is now packing in the flavor with small chunks of local summer squash and sweet local corn that marry well with the pasta and the light broth that gathers at the bottom of the bowl. the pasta itself is both chewy and supple, a rarer combination than it should be, highly satisfying, still hearty but with a pronounced seasonal accent.

more unusual -- at least i've never seen it before -- is the combination of prosciutto and melon topping a special pizza. halves of small uncooked cantaloupe balls provide more sugar than you would expect to find on a pizza, but they are used sparingly, one or two to a slice. they are decorative as well, adding festive orange polka dots to the pie, which is pulled together by fontina and ricotta and strewn with basil after it comes out of the oven. this pizza provides more of an allusion to the classic combination of melon and prosciutto than totally the real thing; there's not enough melon to do otherwise, and it's not what you would want on a pizza in the first place. if anything, the melon interrupts the flavors of the other ingredients because it's the one thing that really doesn't belong on bread -- in this case, radius' reliably crispy, sturdy crust -- but its small appearance does give this pizza its unmistakable summer disposition. this is also a moderately light pizza, well attuned to appetities diminished some by the hot weather.

Summer is definitely here, and the specials that Chef Wiss has on his menu this season are consistently outstanding. The salads, pastas, and pizzas manage to incorporate local, seasonal produce in ways that are smart and effective, not inane and gimmicky. A few stick out in my mind from recent visits...

The Heirloom Tomato Gazpacho mentioned above is smooth and creamy thanks to the emulsified olive oil, yet still light and refreshing -- plus it gets a boost in flavor and texture from those halved grape tomatoes. It's the best rendition of this classic that I've ever tasted, and it manages to best a cold Hennepinas the perfect way to cool down after trekking through the heat. The Grilled Bruschetta ($10) is a lesson in balancing flavors, in addition to being visually stunning: a thick layer of extremely rich Pipe Dreams Dairy goat cheese on olive oil coated, grilled ciabatta is magically counterbalanced by the sweetness and acidity of bright orange and red grape tomatoes. The salads are across the board awesome, particularly one that meshes grilled watermelon (a surprising blend of smokey and sweet) with feta cheese. The delicious Fig and Feta Pizza centers on a similar flavor profile: the clash between sweet black mission figs and salty feta. But pizza wise, if there's one thing that can't be missed, it's the Corn and Tomato Pizza: the sweet Virginia corn and tomatoes that Chef is working with are already a match made in heaven, but with goat cheese, mozzarella, and pickled red onions providing a backdrop, their affinity is amplified beautifully.

With this kind of a success rate, it's hard not to return each time a new dish shows up on the menu.

I must echo all of the other comments on Radius' summer menu. What a wonderful meal we enjoyed last night!

We started with the mussels. Radius' mussels is one of my favorite dishes anywhere. This is amazing considering that before I had them here last fall I wasn't much of a fan of the mollusks. The summer version of this dish, made with ripe summer tomatoes instead of canned, was freaking phenomenal. I'll even admit that since I didn't have a spoon, I began using a mussel shell to scoop the amazing tomato broth out of the bowl and into the mouth. You know, because I didn't want to do something as uncouth as drinking the broth straight out of the bowl.

We also tried the tomato and grilled watermelon salad with feta and fig balsamic vinaigrette. We really enjoyed the flavors here. I could have used a little more feta, but I am a cheese lover and can never get enough feta. Speaking of...

This brings me to our main course: the yellow roma and pesto pizza. The pie was beautiful! I wish I had taken a picture. The bright green and yellow screamed summer to me. As always, the crust here was perfect. The pesto was as good as any I've had. But for me, a NY-gal, I think I need a little more mozzarella on my pizza. There was a bit, and a good amount of yummy ricotta. I guess when I think of pizza I think of melted cheese oozing off the slice. Once I started to think of it as a flatbread (don't hate me, Chef), I liked it more.

Oh, and I almost forgot - we tried a taste of the gazpacho. Delicious! Even if you're like us and don't really like gazpacho (Nicole said she could relate and that a lot of gazpacho tastes like pureed salsa), try this gazpacho anyhow. If you've tried any of Chef Wiss' other soups, you know I'm right. I don't know how he does it.

All in all, a fantastic experience that left us wondering why we don't go to Radius more often. Oh, right, that whole Ironman training thing, and living in Virginia. Still no excuse, this place is worth going out of our way for and we definitely earn the calories :)

Another shout out to another exceptional Radius experience. The ever-epic mussels with must-incorporate pimentón ailoi, then crisp & chewy fried chick peas, heavenly bruschetta, prosciutto and melon and other seasonal pizzas, all incredible last night, all incredible every time. The menu here eclipses far beyond pizza. The draw is...everything.

Last night's table received a complimentary peach & mozzarella salad, and a gratis peaches & cream (homemade graham cracker crust) dessert. Both are must-orders, fascinatingly astute interpretations of these seasonal gems. The seasoning on the salad will cause you to rethink fruit, entirely outstanding. The dessert makes for a dramatic presentation, but the real drama occurs when you try to cut into it and it shoots across the table. The restaurant may want to consider serving it already cut into interesting geometric shapes, avoiding potential eye injuries. But the flavors, textures, and rosemary accent on this dessert, coupled with the distinctly masterful caramel-shellacked peaches, punctuate an already extraordinary meal.

Exceptional-quality, seasonal ingredients prepared via masterful execution are the hallmark of this casual, friendly institution. If you're not eating Radius, you're missing the area.

(yes, geometry humor)

(just couldn't bring myself)

(to say "pie-r-squared")

Radius was a quick cab ride away and good spot for relaxing between Friday's Legg Mason tennis sessions. The AC was cool, the beer good and the pizza (Ducati) tasty. My only quibble is that the crust was on the bland side and tasted as if that batch of dough was missing its dose of salt. It was only my second time here so I have no idea if this is the norm or an aberration. Oh, and the fried mozz appetizer was a good start too.

My only quibble is that the crust was on the bland side and tasted as if that batch of dough was missing its dose of salt. It was only my second time here so I have no idea if this is the norm or an aberration.

mdt - what's your comparison as to salt in crust? For example, I think the crust here is lightly salted, much like the pies I've had at American Flatbread, but probably lighter in salt compared to the 1 time I've been to Pete's.

mdt - what's your comparison as to salt in crust? For example, I think the crust here is lightly salted, much like the pies I've had at American Flatbread, but probably lighter in salt compared to the 1 time I've been to Pete's.

I compare the crust flavor, or lack thereof, to that at Paradiso. It might also be a lack of overnight retarding of the dough too.

We went to tonight for a happy hour and shared the mussels for $5, along with a slice and a pint for $5. The mussels were great, served in this spicy, rich tomato broth with a side of mayo flavored with smoked paprika and I think some sort of fishy something that just great. Go in for the pizza, but you have to check out some of the other options there. Very good stuff.

Stopped in last night specifically for the fall pizza and just like last year, I feel like this pizza hits it out of the park. Had the house ground sausage on half and it was an excellent addition (although the pizza doesn't need it).

The crust here reminds me of the deli style you'll find across the north east (philly burbs, etc). Nice crisp to the bottom with a nice chew at the end. It's not fair to compare this to 2 amy's or Orso's dough but I'd definitely put it a few steps above what is available at Paradiso.

The peaches and cream desert looked awesome, but I was too stuffed after wolfing down half the large pizza and a hennepin.

Chef Wiss makes seasonal and local accessible and unbelievably good. Today go get the Fall pizza, the pumpkin desserts, the half smoke, and the mortadella. In fact ALWAYS get what is new and seasonal on the menu, whenever you go.

I love that I can just cruise on in dressed casually and get food prepared at this level at an accessible price. I only wish I could get there more often. It's truly a gem and one of my favorite spots anywhere (though lately pizza places have been high on my lists).

Chef Wiss makes seasonal and local accessible and unbelievably good. Today go get the Fall pizza, the pumpkin desserts, the half smoke, and the mortadella. In fact ALWAYS get what is new and seasonal on the menu, whenever you go.

as much as i like what comes in with the fall, i'm still holding out for summer as long as it lasts, which means heirloom zebras. i've had both green and red, there is a difference, the former have tang and the reds have a more classic tomato taste, but both are delicious. i have found the crusts deliver all the flavor i need, and i assume there is some salt in the dough, which doesn't mean it has to be salty. the salt comes with the toppings.

surprising for one of the best risottos i have had in some time at a restaurant (since palena), the braised pork shank risotto on the menu puts the spotlight on the meat, which is every bit as good as when it comes with the pasta, moist and succulent. pastas here are consistently al dente, so i didn't know what to make of the rice, which didn't have that bite, wasn't cooked to mush either, and provided more fiber than usual. eating an ample half portion you feel like you are passing from one season into the next.

If I were to leave tomorrow for Paris, my first spot that I would have multiple meals at would be Le Comptoir. Ate here in 2008 in the Spring and really loved it. I think about this meal often, it was perfect in every detail. My second place (if I was not on a budget) would be Helene Darroze. This is a very expensive meal- but also executed at the highest level. A must visit! Enjoy your trip!

Todd just checked out menu for Radius online- -looks just awesome- -I work not far (down at 14th and G) and will certainly be up for a meal soon!

Cold nights call for warm comforting food like risotto. I was lucky enough for a double play with the arancini and the new risotto. The arancini, perfectly fried balls of risotto goodness wrapped around homemade mozzarella, served with truffle aoli are well worth every single calorie. The new risotto has braised pork shank throughout the creamy goodness. Perfect for this kind of weather.

I also got a peek at the new ravioli: leek and goat cheese filling with arugula and fennel on top. I don't like fennel, it is one of my least favorite flavors. But it added a nice contrast to the leeks and goat cheese. It's one of my favorite versions of Chef's every changing rotation of ravioli.

Bourbon ice cream is now on the menu as well. It's just good. Bourbon, vanilla, cinnamon, ice cream stuff. That's all. Reminded my friend of the holiday season. I think it's the cinnamon that does the trick. Go. Get it. The candy cane s'more was very tempting but there was just no room.

There are rumors of the hot chocolate's return in the very near future. Just in time too.

The new risotto has braised pork shank throughout the creamy goodness.

the risotto has been getting better and better at radius. in additiion to a pork shank risotto at the end of the summer, i've had at least two different versions in the last month or so, and they are about as good as any i can remember at a restaurant. a half portion is generous ($10), and can easily be the center of a meal. we usually are too full to get around to the dessert, which is probably an omission we should correct, but it's difficult, because we would have to skip the pizza.

There are rumors of the hot chocolate's return in the very near future. Just in time too.

Hot chocolate is here. I don't want to think about the amount of cream that goes into the drink but it's worth it. It's available for delivery or takeout.

... we usually are too full to get around to the dessert, which is probably an omission we should correct, but it's difficult, because we would have to skip the pizza.

We talked about needing to do three or four meals of just appetizers, pastas, etc. to get through everything on the menu my friend wanted to try. Can't say that I have that problem because except for the different pizzas I don't think there's anything I haven't had.

I had a half order of the Risotto (braised pork shank, Fuji apples, candied pecans, pomegranate seeds) Normally I wouldnt' go near a savory dish with that many sweet elements, but after at least 20 trips here in the past 2 years I believe in Wiss' judgement. I'm happy I did. The apples folded in pretty seamlessly with the pork and creamy risotto, giving a small acidic bite but nothing too intrusive. The pecans and pomegranate, however, were a sweet shift in the other direction in a very surprisingly positive way. They added crunch, sugar, acid, and a different kind of substance to the type of dish I expect to be getting on a nice piece of china at Galileo, not a black takeout container. Outstanding and a must order if you go, I just wish I had made it a full order because the half of the Spaghetti and Meatballs that I got with it did not measure up to the standard set by the risotto. A nice dish, with a very generous portion of the large meatballs and a flavorful cheese/breadcrumb topping, but there is so much awesome on this menu that I'd have a hard time ordering it again.

In my best Don Rockwell voice, I proclaim Radius to be the best restaurant that does delivery in Washington, DC!

When I ordered the new parpadelle with house smoked bacon and dates I asked Chef to leave out the dates. His reply was "I knew you were going to say that and you have to try it once with the dates." I don't like dates but I also knew that if I wanted some of that bacon I was going to have to try the dates. Sigh. He was right. The dates with the bacon are a great salty sweet combination. It doesn't sound like it should taste good together but it does. And the house made pasta is a great vehicle of this unlikely duo.

Bacon and dates is a classic Spanish pairing. I think it's been on the Jaleo menu since the day they first opened.

I'm thrilled it's a Spanish pairing, and frankly am more excited about what's on the menu at Radius than Jaleo which has never really impressed me, but I still think it's an unusual pairing. Tastes damn good, which is really all that matters.

At the risk of merely being one of the 1000 nonexperts who bog the site down ...

Radius is fantastic, every time. This week's fava and pea risotto is brilliant springtime food. The mussels are always better, plumper, more perfectly cooked than ever I get anywhere else in town, and inexpensive, and the grilled bread with aioli that goes along with them is ridiculously grilled-bread-good. And every time I go, there is some new pizza that walks the walk of "farm to table" and "seasonal" cooking. All very friendly, and reasonably priced.

At the risk of merely being one of the 1000 nonexperts who bog the site down ...

Radius is fantastic, every time. This week's fava and pea risotto is brilliant springtime food. The mussels are always better, plumper, more perfectly cooked than ever I get anywhere else in town, and inexpensive, and the grilled bread with aioli that goes along with them is ridiculously grilled-bread-good. And every time I go, there is some new pizza that walks the walk of "farm to table" and "seasonal" cooking. All very friendly, and reasonably priced.

I completely agree. My only wish is that I lived or worked closer to Radius. I am still dreaming about the special bacon, [house-made] bacon and pasta dish I enjoyed last month. I am giving Chef Todd partial credit for my marathon PR that same weekend.

This week's fava and pea risotto is brilliant springtime food.

allow me to agree. maximum pea flavor and i think with fava it suggests mint and it comes with parmesan shaved into faux pasta, i believe, achieved through some sort of noodling technique. the martinis here are super.

OK, thanks to all of these posts praising Radius, I finally sat down with a friend for dinner. I get pizza every once and a while from Radius and have never been hugely impressed.

Clearly I've been ordering incorrectly .... the regular non pizza food that i had was incredibly worthwhile. The current seasonal chilled asparagus soup was absolutely terrific, the mussels were a little over the top (fully loaded) but also excellent. Haunted by that soup actually - need to get back for that for sure.

radius is more and more our palena cafe substitute, not that the menu is on the same scale. and why would it be in this neighborhood pizza place? the asparagus salad ($12) is about as good as it gets, with meaty spears, cooked perfectly, resting upon dark fingerlings. a crispy boiled egg, the yolk molten but not running like a poached egg, and dabs of sauce gribiche, are the emulsifiers, a bit theatrical and a reminder that asparagus and eggs are good companions. the sauce seems to me the next stage after pushing boiled white and yolk through a sieve, the basic treatment that gabrielle hamilton describes briefly in her recent memoirs on the difficult life of a person who has been driven into the kitchen because cooking is the best way she knows how to communicate with others, including her italian husband, who doesn't have much to say while riding undercurrents of marital discord. anyway, maybe for a limited time only because the specials here pop up and disappear according to the seasons, which have been notably whimsical in these parts lately, you can follow up with pan roasted chicken from pennsylvania ($18), served with potato puree, shallot jus and a hearty, (faintly, think pig in the water) bacony kale, comforting and assured. this was at least as good as chicken i had eaten a couple of days earlier in salt lake city at bambara, a restaurant in the monaco hotel, proving that good local chicken is commonly found in the kimpton chain. the chicken ($24) was heaped in a small mound. adding to the archaeological composition on the plate was a camembert bread pudding suffering from dry spots but acquiting itself for the most part as a nice stuffing -- and deep brown brussel sprouts. walking out the door i would choose to see the ethereal azure skies, glaring sun and glimmering salt flats over the mopey streets of mount pleasant, but if i had to settle on a chicken, both running neck and neck, i think i would go with what i found at the pizza joint.

this time of year, i like the ramps, but i can take them or leave them, and have been leaving them mostly because i have been too lazy, or simply away, to go and get them at the farmers market. so it was nice to find ramps at bar pilar. they were available with the halibut, which was good ($12), but were better overall in the bowl of bucatini ($7). scallops were worth recommending as well ($12). you get just two of them, which got me to doing the arithmetic on small plates. this restaurant is serving asparagus ($7) at roughly 80 cents a spear; they are fine and can be dabbed into some slick and salty spots on the plate. the sauce for the bok choy with slivers of chinese sausage ($7) is watery, but you can pour it off the plate onto your food, and this dish, just as simple as the many others on the menu, leaves you yearning for more of the fleeting peculiar sweetness of the meat, which i suppose is a good thing and another virtue of dining on small servings.

Wanted to mention the new Summer dishes at Radius. Tomatoes and corn are the main hitters right now. Most summer dishes have been mentioned up thread and I don't have much to add about their excellence (gazpacho, tomato and corn pizza to name a few) but one dish not mentioned that you absolutely must have is the new Summer Pappardelle. Grape Tomatoes, house smoked bacon, and corn, tied together with a butter sauce. Amazing pasta dish.

Wanted to mention the new Summer dishes at Radius. Tomatoes and corn are the main hitters right now. Most summer dishes have been mentioned up thread and I don't have much to add about their excellence (gazpacho, tomato and corn pizza to name a few) but one dish not mentioned that you absolutely must have is the new Summer Pappardelle. Grape Tomatoes, house smoked bacon, and corn, tied together with a butter sauce. Amazing pasta dish.

tomatoes and corn are a great combination, and they are making the most of it here. slices of early girls on the pizza with pesto and house-made mozzarella are a happy find, juicy enough, maybe not quite as salty as they could be, on a crust that would have been sturdy enough to support them even if they were as thick as those my eighth grade best friend's mother used to cut onto her heavily topped pizzas, which i considered the best i had ever eaten. the summer risotto is good, too, with cherry tomatoes smothered by the rice, leaving them almost on their own to prove their merits. a tomato and grilled cheese sandwich has also popped up on the menu, something i would like to try. the only big miss this spring and summer was the cold cucumber soup, and that's because the cucumbers were sweet as sugar. i hadn't realized cucumbers could hold that much sweetness until i ran into the problem myself when throwing together a salad from local ingredients. i don't know if it was the growing conditions or the variety, and i guess i should ask a farmer to find out. it's been hot in radius lately, reminding me of the days when we relied more on fans than air conditioning, and i'm not sure if i could stand working in the kitchen under these conditions, although i suppose you can physically get used to it.

The HH deal for a slice and brew for $5 is pretty damn good and it is available all day on Saturday. This place was a great respite (and short bus ride) from the heat and crappy food between session at the Legg Mason. Considering the fact that I eat in DC a ton I have to remember to come here more than once a year.

BTW, the fried homemade mozzarella sticks do not suck.

(And ended up being disappointing because the two Radius pies we got delivered instead were Just. Not. Good. Aside from being cold, leaden with cheese, a floppy and un-tasty crust, and way too light on the sauce, the toppings were surprising: I literally could not tell what they had put on our veggie pie. Visually, nothing there, but it wasn't just a cheese pie because every few bites you'd get a random veg flavor, like green peppers, and I uncovered a small onion petal under the cheese of a cold slice the next day. Sadly, I think Radius delivery has just run out of chances with me.)

I was hoping my two most recent delivery experiences with Radius were aberrations, but unfortunately they mirrored the description above. All the non-pizza dishes I ordered were fantastic as usual, but the quality of the pizza seems to have suffered markedly. Radius has built up a stellar reputation in my book over many, many deliveries of awesome food, including pizza, so I'm most definitely willing to give them a few more chances, but something seems to have happened recently that needs fixing...

I was hoping my two most recent delivery experiences with Radius were aberrations, but unfortunately they mirrored the description above. All the non-pizza dishes I ordered were fantastic as usual, but the quality of the pizza seems to have suffered markedly. Radius has built up a stellar reputation in my book over many, many deliveries of awesome food, including pizza, so I'm most definitely willing to give them a few more chances, but something seems to have happened recently that needs fixing...

I live in the neighborhood and love Radius, but I have to agree that my last couple of meals were disappointing. For example, last week my partner, my friend, and I went. The wine, service, and my friend's special papardelle were all great, but my spaghetti and meatballs, and my partner's portion, were almost inedibly salty. I have eaten this dish here many times, and it has never been like this in the past.

This won't stop me from going to Radius, as it is the best option in the neighborhood, and I still love it, but it might give me pause on ordering the spaghetti and meatballs again.

Tonight I got to try the new onion rings and fried pickles, with ranch dressing (all made in-house of course). Wow. Available at the bar, along with a Reuben that is reputed to be good but I didn't have one. You can take this with as many grains of salt as you want, if you want, since I didn't pay for the rings/pickles - but they were really really good.

Last week I had the worst take out pizza I've had in DC from Radius, it was really just a miserable bit of slop. They ought to just focus on the stuff they care about - and drop the carryout pizza option, it's just gotten sad. I've been going there for years and years and the only reason I haven't given up until now was getting to 10 magnets. Now I've just hit 10 and not sure I'll even bother redeeming for my free pizza, definitely not paying for take out again from them!

Eating in is an entirely different and usually better experience.

The mozzarella sticks are gone, and someday I may get over this loss, but at the bar they have been replaced with french fries. Damn good french fries. French fries that are what McDonald's could be if they only used real potato. And no ketchup here. Three ailolis: traditional, curry, and marie rose.

In case that isn't enough cholesterol for you, there is a roasted tomato soup and grilled cheese combo on the menu now that is perfect for a cold, rainy night.

Best delivery pizza from Radius in a long, long while last night. It was their Spring pizza and the crust was textured nicely with good pull and chew...it wasn't dense or floppy, but hit that perfect spot right in the middle, and was nicely flavored. I loved how intense the spring onion purée was. The delivery happened to come very quickly, maybe about 25 minutes after I ordered it, and I think this is really the main point. Their pizza needs to be eaten quickly after it comes out of the oven. Unfortunately, I guess if you can't get over there it's the luck of the draw whether you're first or last on the driver's route.

Best delivery pizza from Radius in a long, long while last night. It was their Spring pizza and the crust was textured nicely with good pull and chew...it wasn't dense or floppy, but hit that perfect spot right in the middle, and was nicely flavored. I loved how intense the spring onion purée was. The delivery happened to come very quickly, maybe about 25 minutes after I ordered it, and I think this is really the main point. Their pizza needs to be eaten quickly after it comes out of the oven. Unfortunately, I guess if you can't get over there it's the luck of the draw whether you're first or last on the driver's route.

Good to hear! Honestly, this is the first positive comment about any Radius pizza that I can remember hearing in ... a year, perhaps? It actually makes me want to go back and try the pizza again.

The pizza remains very much hit or miss for take out or delivery, but the other food is really damn good. The above mentioned Reuben is quite salty and won't be to everyone's taste but I loved it for all its greasy glory, the pastrami inside more of a pulled variety than sliced deli meat. The Mozzarella Sticks should never leave the menu, they are the best version of this simple-yet-often-screwed-up app. The only clunker I've had outside of a few mediocre takeout pizzas was the Fried Onion Rings and Pickles, which honestly would have been better had they not been place in a closed takeout container and rather some tin foil or something where steam could have been released. They were soggy, salty, and not worth the calories.

All that said I think the pizza has its highs and its lows, but I've found that the lows typically happen on busy nights (Friday and Saturday) and/or when you get it delivered or carry out.

Since Radius is about the only decent restaurant in my neighborhood, I tend to go there a lot, but always to eat in. Usually, it is quite good. About 90% of the time the spaghetti and meatballs are excellent. The other 10% of the time, they are inedibly salty. The pizzas, I find, are very good to excellent, depending on the type. Whatever pizza is on special is usually the best. The Spring Pizza, which is on special now, is something I crave each year, although I preferred last year's version with fava beans to this year's version with kale.

Wines are generally good here too. But, has anyone else noticed that it is almost invariably too hot in there?

Wines are generally good here too. But, has anyone else noticed that it is almost invariably too hot in there?

It is almost invariably sweltering there in the summer, which is my main complaint about this place, and we go for the beers on tap, two of them local. for a while, the restaurant started looking down to us, and now it is looking up again. however, there are still inconsistencies, beginning with the spring pizza. one week it restored our faith in the pizzas at radius, the next week was greasy on an underdeveloped crust. also, the toppings on the special pizzas, at least, often tend to be too rich. fortunately, there are always good things to be found on the rest of the menu, starting with the risotto, the latest version strewn with apple matchsticks and displaying some asian leanings (as does the pea soup, with a soy broth). the pork belly sandwich is a satisfying alternative to pizza as well, and you can add ravioli, salads and mussels to the list. grilled cheese and tomato bisque was on the menu briefly, simple and transporting, though i haven't seen it lately. new things pop up, or favorites reappear every so often, which keeps the menu from going stale. some time ago, radius lost its best bartender, who was able to shake a stellar dry hendricks martini. these days, that drink can be hit or miss, although it is still decent, overly wet, on a less inspired night. anyway, overall i would recommend radius and its enlightened kitchen. it has an allure that brings us back often, even though, and i don't know why, it doesn't always seem to have its act together and can be found missing the constant vigilance it sometimes may need.

If anyone can get a reliable understanding of what happened, please post or at least IM me. This makes me sad. I like Radius, and Nicole and Todd, a lot. I go out of town for the summer and the whole District falls apart ...

I go out of town for the summer and the whole District falls apart ...

Well, not quite -- there's always the Taxing power, after all. Step back from the precipice . . . .

And who knows? For every sad farewell, there's always a hopeful new birth . . . El Chucho, perhaps? (but the early reports on Chowhound and elsewhere are worrying).

Well, not quite -- there's always the Taxing power, after all. Step back from the precipice . . . .

And who knows? For every sad farewell, there's always a hopeful new birth . . . El Chucho, perhaps? (but the early reports on Chowhound and elsewhere are worrying).

It's too early to declare Radius as closed (really, what would be the point? (*)), but it is something of an odd situation. I found this post on the "Done Like Dundee, Gone Like Gandhi" blog.

(*) I think the single most overrated thing in the Internet-Restaurant world is "breaking news (**)." It makes almost no difference to the general public whether they find out about an opening or a closing on a Tuesday, or three days later. I used to enjoy the "thrill" of breaking a story, but other than Five Minutes of Twitter Glitter, the whole notion of racing to break restaurant news is a pointless endeavor - what people really need are restaurant recommendations.

(**) As opposed to particle physics. <--- Call me quarky, but this means more to me than frozen french fries.