The Trite Food List

JPW

3 hours ago, Mark Slater said:

I always preferred Gastronaut.

*Anything* is better than "foodie," but "Gastronaut" is cumbersome. What's wrong with gourmet? (As opposed to gourmand - the former is someone who appreciates fine food and drink; the latter is someone who merely likes to eat - I think the *vast* majority of people (not in this community) are described by the latter). The problem is that "gourmet" has become something related to a dead metaphor (even though it's not a metaphor) - probably started by "The Galloping Gourmet" (which was actually a pretty darned good show - Graham Kerr - still only 83 years old - should be remembered as a forerunner of Anthony Bourdain).

10 hours ago, Mark Slater said:

I totally agree.

Can we make an exception for Polpettini at an Italian restaurant?

This is completely unrelated to cuisine, and I'll probably regret posting it here, but I am sick and tired of news publications, for sporting events, saying 'so-and-so 'outclassed' so-and-so.' No, (s)he didn't "outclass" so-and-so; (s)he *BEAT* so-and-so. For those who've never noticed, it is positively ubiquitous, generally headlined by non-sports writers, and needs to go. I am *sick* of athletes being in the Top 100 in the world at their chosen profession, and being stepped on with these headlines, and I have no doubt you can find a headline, somewhere, that says the Warriors "outclassed" the Cavaliers last night.

Maybe at one time, that word meant something to do with scholastic classes (in which case, okay, fine); now, however, it clearly deals with social strata. Yes, I know there are bigger problems in the world than this, but after all, this is "The Trite Food List," so, well, why not.

Example (on bottom-left):

Screenshot 2018-01-16 at 09.44.20.png

11 hours ago, Mark Slater said:

I totally agree.

Here's more .. I'm in a salty mood. 

Pulled pork anything from places that don't have a smoker

"Nashville Fried" poultry products 

Truffle mac and cheese. In that same vein, lobster mac and cheese.

Jerk seasoning at non Caribbean restaurants

Nachos made out of something that's not a tortilla chip (tater tots, potato chips, waffle fries)

16 minutes ago, Simul Parikh said:

Nachos made out of something that's not a tortilla chip (tater tots, potato chips, waffle fries)

By extension, Poutine that's not Poutine. Also, Poutine of any type served outside of Canada. :) (Canadian Poutine isn't trite; just gross.)

Truffle *Anything* that contains no truffle - I suspect you can find "Truffle Oil" (which almost always contains chemically flavored truffle) early in this thread. if anyone wants to come shave a Perigord Black over my Mac 'n' Cheese - better still, an Alban White over my pasta with Reggiano - they have my blessing.

11 minutes ago, DonRocks said:

By extension, Poutine that's not Poutine. Also, Poutine of any type served outside of Canada. :) (Canadian Poutine isn't trite; just gross.)

Truffle *Anything* that contains no truffle - I suspect you can find "Truffle Oil" (which almost always contains chemically flavored truffle) early in this thread. if anyone wants to come shave a Perigord Black over my Mac 'n' Cheese - better still, an Alban White over my pasta with Reggiano - they have my blessing.

100% on Poutine! And why do all the renditions here do it with Duck? That's some sheeeeit. 

And, that's what I meant to say, it certainly doesn't hurt to repeat truffle oil.

1 hour ago, Simul Parikh said:

100% on Poutine! And why do all the renditions here do it with Duck? That's some sheeeeit. 

And, that's what I meant to say, it certainly doesn't hurt to repeat truffle oil.

Things like this are *exactly* what I meant when I said "Glorified Junk Food." 

Here's another one: Restaurant Critics complaining that Poke is trite. I mean ... it *is*, but the complaints themselves have become Meta-trite, which, ironically, sounds like a Poke, mon. <--- Only an intrepid, nerdish few will realize how funny this is. Meditite.png

Ma-fucking-halo,
Rocks Hrimp

Q: What did the Freshwater Geechee do when he tried the Poke in Shirlington?
A: The Gullah Hurl

I don't know why I think of these things I just do.

1 hour ago, DonRocks said:

Michel Richard used to tell me that truffle oil was for lazy chefs. :-)

On 1/15/2018 at 2:52 PM, Simul Parikh said:

Deviled eggs

Sacrilege! :) These are stalwarts that will last the test of time.  Now charging an arm and a leg for a couple of them on a plate, piling them up with fillings, yes, but the original concept dates back to the 13th century or before to even Ancient Rome and has a very long history far beyond the post WW2 house party.    I don't need them on every menu, converted to every fusion flavor, but I expect them at my family reunion, big get togethers and any baptism luncheon or etc, and happily will eat a few.

• Like 5

I just read a bit of this thread and am now trying to pick what to have for lunch today.. horrible user interface aside, this menu, i think, was built from this thread:
https://farmersanddistillers.com/menus/

It's got it all.

poke; deviled eggs; fake Thai; meatballs; various things that are supposed to be one thing but are made from another...

I'm actually considering the fake Thai. How much can drunken noodles be messed up?

Truffles...

Edited to read that the drunken noodles are not bad as it is hard to go wrong with noodles and sesame oil.

Trite kitchen apparel submission:  Form-over-function designer $90+ cross-back aprons that one must “get into” over the head with the help of a chamber maid or Jeevus the obsequious dishwasher.

Our first ever crossback apron, we design this bad boy to distribute the weight of the apron evenly meaning it’s comfortable even after long hours of hustling.

While an indignant no-frills apron belies kitchen hierarchy, the weight concession might allow for more efficient and effective “hustle”. Rocky would have been impeccably lethal if he had trained under the duress of a husky cross-back apron.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Poivrot Farci said:

Trite kitchen apparel submission:  Form-over-function designer $90+ cross-back aprons that one must “get into” over the head with the help of a chamber maid or Jeevus the obsequious dishwasher.

I had to wear one of these cross-back things recently. I consider myself a reasonably intelligent person, but it must've taken me 10 minutes to figure out how to put it on. Actually, I'm still not sure I got it right. 

I understand I'm squarely in Grumpy Old Man territory with this one, but ...

Young, Poorly Trained, Hipster, Cauc-Asian (*) Fusion

Basically, if you use anything with Sriracha Mayonnaise ...

(*) Fifty years from now, "Asian" is going to sound just as strange to the reader as "Oriental."

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, thistle said:

Sorry, but you’re definitely verging on ‘grumpy old man’- sriracha or sambal oelak or spicy salsa is the best thing that can happen to mayonnaise- she says as she dips her cold roast chicken in Taco Bamba salsa.

"Homemade" is the best thing that can happen to mayonnaise!

(I don't always have jarred mayonnaise, but when I do, I like a little Sriracha.) 

True, but if you’re not making homemade, add some heat. & I always have jarred mayo, Hellman’s olive oil (nice plastic jar you can turn upside down to get out the last stuff). I’d like to see who only makes homemade mayo these days.

19 hours ago, thistle said:

True, but if you’re not making homemade, add some heat. & I always have jarred mayo, Hellman’s olive oil (nice plastic jar you can turn upside down to get out the last stuff). I’d like to see who only makes homemade mayo these days.

C'est moi. And I love mixing it with sambal oelek.

• Like 1

On 3/19/2018 at 1:39 PM, Ericandblueboy said:

Too many restaurants have charcuterie.

In my youth I used to eat salami and other spiced sliced meats so regularly that the very concept of charcuterie surprised me.  Was this not commonplace?? I had  Sliced spicy meats with mustards breads olives quite often.  The very concept of charcuterie as a new delicacy was confounding.  Salami’s were the number one meat from my youth and into my 20’s. 

And then in our home growing up we had a pet dog Skipper who lived to dash outside and race around for hours if all doors weren’t carefully guarded.  Skipper also loved salami.

When the dog escaped our standard effort to recover him was to dash outside with salami.   “Here Skipper, salami!!!”

I suppose if his state was hungrier rather than rangier he would return for the treat, allow one of us to grab him by the collar and give him his treat.  If not hungry we could never catch him. In those cases we wouldn’t see him for hours.

The first time I was at a restaurant with my brother that had charcuterie, he being marginally faster and with longer arms, slightly beat me to the punch picked up a piece of salami, and with a big grin, stared me in the face, and said “Here Skipper, salami!!”

Charcuterie!   It’s a nice treat.  I don’t mind it everywhere.

Go to Stachowski’s and then create your own mixed delicacy.

• Like 2

On 3/19/2018 at 6:39 PM, Ericandblueboy said:

Too many restaurants have charcuterie.

Mark Kuller once told me something I sloughed off at the time, but he was right: If you don't make really good charcuterie, it's best to purchase charcuterie. As ubiquitous as it is, it's probably ubiquitous for a one-word reason: profit.

---

Huge, cavernous, open-air dining areas are about as pleasant (and prevalent) as open-air office spaces. I hate them.

---

Anyone using the word "buzz" or it's derivatives (buzzy, trendy, hot, white-hot) is quite often parroting a PR agent's press release, describing a huge, cavernous, open-air dining area, which is about as pleasant (and prevalent) as an open-air office space - the primary difference being the deafening noise level. These aren't designed to please the diner; they're designed because they're cheap as hell to construct - however, once the "buzz" dies down, they're the loneliest places in the world.

More:

- Tater Tots fancified. Why? Just why?

- Roasted chicken, generally over priced even at casual restaurants (I'm looking at you, Rustico, and others of your ilk)

- Turkey burgers. Invariably on menu. Invariable poor quality. Rubbery. Topped with weird things. Why not just top it with same thing as a burger? Turkey eaters like fried eggs and bacon, too.

Never trite to me

- Pizza. If you have a kitchen, give it a go. I'll probably try it. I'll probably not like it, but I'm going to try it.

- Lamb burgers. I don't eat hamburgers, but I, too, want in on the fun.

On 1/15/2018 at 2:52 PM, Simul Parikh said:

Brunch (as a concept)

Meatballs as an appetizer

Deviled eggs

Hummus made out of something other than chickpeas/tahini

Thai curry ______ at non-Thai restaurants

Brunch-  Still eating and enjoying brunch since the 1970’s though the paper NY Times is rarely there

Meattballs as an appetizer:  meatball appetizer at Casa Luca was sublime

Deviled eggs:  helluva food markup item, but you gotta do what you gotta do 

If someone makes a great tasting hummus like dish out of other items- bravo  Had this with other ingredients at Bayou Bakery.  Found it tasty and spicy.

Thai Curry at a non Thai restaurant—hm yet to try that

On 8/7/2006 at 10:40 AM, qwertyy said:

Has the beet and goat cheese salad been floated as a contender here yet? I'm a huge fan of this dish, but it is on every menu in town... The preparations aren't even very different, just the presentation. Is this the new Caesar?

Wow... 12 years and still likely trite and going strong.  Kale and Brussels hit trite in 2013, they are having a 5 year trite anniversary.  Have miniburgers died, I feel like they are clinging on to the last stages of life.

I loathe all the pumpkin infused everything.  I love pumpkin pie, and I make a pretty mean pumpkin soup.  I’m down with homemade pumpkin bread or pumpkin muffins. But I draw the line at coffee, beer, bagels, and all other “punkin” crap at this time of year.  

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, dcandohio said:

I loathe all the pumpkin infused everything.  I love pumpkin pie, and I make a pretty mean pumpkin soup.  I’m down with homemade pumpkin bread or pumpkin muffins. But I draw the line at coffee, beer, bagels, and all other “punkin” crap at this time of year.  

don't even get me started on the inedible 'punkin "flavored" crap. I think at this point, companies are in a race to create the most ridiculous concoction.

Seasonal pumpkin- (and, to a lesser degree, nutmeg)- flavored anything has taken the Miniburger of last generation (Graig Glufling's popularization of the White Castle and Little Tavern "buy 'em by the bag") 25-cent phenomena, made famous at Matchbox, and out-trited the concept by an order of magnitude. 

Damn, Graig, they were good, they really were.

• Like 1

On 9/7/2018 at 8:00 AM, curiouskitkatt said:

don't even get me started on the inedible 'punkin "flavored" crap. I think at this point, companies are in a race to create the most ridiculous concoction.

Did you notice at Trader Joe's they had blueberry-lavender flavored crap? I have no desire to even sniff that s!@#.

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, lekkerwijn said:

Alain Ducasse ... It was a totally memorable meal but for all of the wrong reasons. We arrived at the restaurant and they brought around the Champagne cart with, as Mark notes, 6 or 7 different luxe choices . A rather surly, older Somm showed up at our table clutching a huge wine list tightly against his chest. In haughty French accent-inflected English he says, "I understand you wish to drink Champagne by the bottle..." and then proceeds to rattle off what was in the cart as if we didn't hear it the first time. We explain, that yes, we want a bottle. I think he assumed we were being cheap Americans, so then he asks what kind of Champagne we are "familiar with". We explain that we prefer grower Champagne and in particular like Selosse, Prevost and Laval. He sneered. Cleared his throat and said, "A meal like this requires something a bit more, errr, refined." Then he recommended Taittinger Comtes de Champagne. 

This image is why I dont use the word sommelier much anymore.  I have always tried to combat that perception of the haughty somm. 

Just now, Mark Slater said:

This image is why I dont use the word sommelier much anymore.  I have always tried to combat that perception of the haughty somm. 

Yes, but have you noticed that people have started to use the term "somm" quite a bit in this country?