The Trite Food List

JPW

I agree. If I've had grilled octopus 10 times in the past 6 months, probably 1-2 have been cooked with skill. It's an easy dish to mess up, both in terms of texture and char, but when it's done well, it's fantastic.

Had a great grilled octopus at Kellari Taverna during RW.

Loads of octopus are being charred...yet I've never personally had a great octopus dish anywhere.

A friend of mine was recently on a quest for baby octopus, must be the tiny ones. Masa 14 is the place for those. We found that often what is listed as baby octopus on a menu is just not baby. Cava is an example,.

While I am not the first to mention it (Crackers brought it up back in '05), but I have to renominate pork belly for this list. It has been a long while since I have had a version that didn't leave me feeling that the belly would have been better off as bacon (something that I will never consider trite).

Is it time for those overly large, strangely flavored iced cupcakes (and the people who keep opening cupcake bakeries) to join this exclusive club?

I said this last summer and was met with great resistance in the Cupcake thread. I will never understand the fascination with paying $4 for a dry little piece of cake, but what do I know?

I said this last summer and was met with great resistance in the Cupcake thread. I will never understand the fascination with paying $4 for a dry little piece of cake, but what do I know?

Well, if you think about it, people have been paying $2.50 for a dry little piece of cake (i.e., a "muffin") for about 20 years now.

Well, if you think about it, people have been paying $2.50 for a dry little piece of cake (i.e., a "muffin") for about 20 years now.

Have they? This is unbeknownst to me, as the majority of the cupcakes I have eaten over the years have been homemade.

Anything more than $2 for a cupcake, bagel, croissant, etc is a ripoff.

I have to renominate pork belly for this list. It has been a long while since I have had a version that didn’t leave me feeling that the belly would have been better off as bacon

Go try the pork belly at Againn, it might just be enough to change your mind.

I hate this thread..

That's because you're about to open a trite, pretense-laden, AOC-pizza-wannabe shit hole, and charge us $15 (in small typeface, with no decimal point) for something we can get a mile away at Pie-tanza <--- (I'm going to hell for this) for $12.95. ;)

I started with a "salad" of Belgian endive, spiced pecans, and a soft cheese, with slices of pear on the bottom. I'm not sure where the chef was going with this presentation, but it was neither attractive nor easy to eat. It was a plate of separate elements that wanted to go together but just didn't. A dressing might have helped a little but there was none.

GOD.

These salads are never integrated, and (despite being "classic") are almost always boring - I'm not sure I've ever finished one. Let me guess: It was goat cheese (mercifully, I would add, since some chefs make it with blue (the combination (as an appetizer) being about as appealing as chocolate-covered bacon)), and there was some frisée added as well. Maybe this one was a "modern take" because they didn't use walnuts? Did they at least come around with a pepper mill?

I missed this when you posted it, Don, but there was no frisee and no pepper. The endive leaves were piled like logs (not neatly stacked) and just not pretty. Nor tasty.

That's because you're about to open a trite, pretense-laden, AOC-pizza-wannabe shit hole, and charge us $15 (in small typeface, with no decimal point) for something we can get a mile away at Pie-tanza <--- (I'm going to hell for this) for $12.95. ;)

I'm liking this thread a little more now..

Any place to get flatbread yet?

You mean like American Flatbread and it's locally sourced, organically grown, humanely slaughtered, and generally well-coddled ingredients? (Which will, of course, need to start serving Belgian beer to fulfill my dream.)

Oh, and a general question to anyone. What is the reasoning behind the smearing and dolloping of various components at many of the "nicer" restaurants? I know its been done forever but I still don't get it. The accompanying stuff is either really great and you wish there was more or really gross and you wonder why its even there. I appreciate the effort that goes into creating so many components but I'm just puzzled by that style of cooking.

Oh, and a general question to anyone. What is the reasoning behind the smearing and dolloping of various components at many of the "nicer" restaurants? I know its been done forever but I still don't get it. The accompanying stuff is either really great and you wish there was more or really gross and you wonder why its even there. I appreciate the effort that goes into creating so many components but I'm just puzzled by that style of cooking.

I assume you're talking about The Scraped Sperm Cell et al.

Theoretically it's to add flavor to the dish; in practice it's often for color and to complete the "p[a]late" of the plate.

Cheers,

Rocks

Because a starch, a vegetable, and a protein plopped on the plate with a drizzle of sauce has been boring for the last 35 years, and has no intention of stopping now?*

:lol:

While I think that more does not necessarily equal better, there is something to be said for variety as one eats a dish. Nobody wants to take the exact same bite ad nauseum until they're stuffed to the gills, so arranging a plate with the idea of making each bite (or series of them) unique in terms of taste and/or texture is an attractive one to me as a cook and as a diner, especially when it's done well.

*Don't get me wrong- a dish served in this manner can taste good, it's just not something that inspires me. Unless it's a concept-specific thing (steak at a steakhouse, cassoulet at a bistro, etc.), I think that we can all do better as cooks.

What is the reasoning behind the smearing and dolloping of various components at many of the "nicer" restaurants?

Emulating Michel Bras. The imitation may be tired, but M. Bras is certainly not.

Working away in this "isolated desert" (his words) somewhere in France's central massif, Michel Bras changed gastronomy. "His influence is massive. What he planted seeds for was a culinary revolution," asserts David Chang whilst Wiley Dufresne admits, "he has been copied by every chef in the world. We've all taken a page out of the Bras book - the smear, the spoon drag, putting food on a plate like it fell off a tree." Luc Dubanchet, Omnivore's founder, goes even further: "he's like the godfather of cuisine...the pope. He built his own cuisine..." To the avante-garde chefs of Spain, he is certainly the most, perhaps the only, revered Frenchman. At just twenty-five, he created a dish - le gargouillou - whose repercussions have been as profound as they have profuse. He, with few others, was the vanguard that paved the way for the New Naturals whose influence grows today.

The one nice thing about this is that if you don't like the taste with one small component you can leave that out. At Farrah Olivia when it was open they used this method A LOT. I liked a lot of the dishes with some of the little dollops, some of the piles of spices, but not all the dollops and in some combination. But if it was a whole plate full of one combination there was a very good chance it could be one I wouldn't have liked.

The accompanying stuff is either really great and you wish there was more or really gross and you wonder why its even there.

Nothing personal here, coconutmilk, but for anybody to think that their dislike or like of a certain food item deems it "gross" or "great" to the rest of the world is truly ridiculous. If something is not to your taste, then just say you didn't care for it or that it wasn't to your taste. (Sorry to even comment here but I can't hold my tongue... this is a bit of a sensitive subject for me right now. I'm teaching my 4 1/2 year old proper table manners and that pronouncing something as "gross" is rude to the people that worked hard to make it. If she doesn't like a part of a dish, she can push it aside and simply say that doesn't care for it. Tastes are subjective and it's OK to dislike something...just don't make your opinion come across as if you think your palate is better than anyone elses.)

ETA: Yes, there are dishes that suck out there. Pronounce them gross. OK.

And yes, I'm a bit tainted here...I'm speaking as a restaurant manager who has visited many, many tables throughout my career where a guest sends back a dish proclaiming that it "sucked" or was "gross". Just about 99% of the time, it tasted exactly the way it should. The guest just didn't care for it. Just be polite and use your manners when you don't like a dish.

Newly trite - the flaming orange zest cocktail garnish

Rapidly closing in on trite - the frisee/poached egg/bacon salad (aka Salad Lyonnaise) *

*That said, it's a dish I quite enjoy, including last night's version.

Rapidly closing in on trite - the frisee/poached egg/bacon salad (aka Salad Lyonnaise) *

Trite or not, it's a dish I really enjoy, so please... where did you dine last night?

Trite or not, it's a dish I really enjoy, so please... where did you dine last night?

Ditto -- was about to ask the same thing! :lol:

Ditto -- was about to ask the same thing! :lol:

8407kb - Pedro Matamoros' new place next to the SS metro stop. His version also included grilled asparagus.

Newly trite - the flaming orange zest cocktail garnish

Lighter's and orange peel... bah! That like El Yucateco Kutbil Ik poured on tacos by the tablespoonful! I mean.... its so..... so.... March!!!

Blow-torched or nothing! I am looking for a used US Army surplus flame thrower for Scott's next brithday.

Rapidly closing in on trite - the frisee/poached egg/bacon salad (aka Salad Lyonnaise)

This is where I have probelms with the word "trite"... this is a traditional dish that has stood the test of time. How can it be trite? Maybe fertilized quail egg with seahorse bacon on micro frisee can be trite....

This is where I have probelms with the word "trite"... this is a traditional dish that has stood the test of time. How can it be trite? Maybe fertilized quail egg with seahorse bacon on micro frisee can be trite....

I'm withholding official designation for when it makes its appearance on McD's dollar menu.

Right back at you - :D

I'm withholding official designation for when it makes its appearance on McD's dollar menu.

I heard they are introducing a McRossini, which is the muffin from an egg mcMuffin, specially produced spam made with .001% foie gras, filet of road kill and special sauce standing in for the bordelaise!

brian, on 19 August 2008 - 06:05 PM, said:

Countdown to trite: the (nature/f&b noun) and (nature/f&b noun) restaurant/cafe name, with Alexandria's Grape + Bean soon getting joined by Tap and Vine in Arlington and Birch & Barley in Logan Circle, all joining SF's Bourbon & Branch and NYC's Sundaes and Cones, Fig & Olive, and Grape and Grain.

brian, on 23 December 2008 - 04:18 PM, said:

adding bread & brew

brian, on 14 July 2009 - 07:00 PM, said:

adding Cork & Fork

adding Virtue Feed & Grain, and not forgetting Farmers & Fishers in Georgetown.

Flavored mayos, specifically sriracha mayo.

To be fair, though, what's more overdone than sriracha mayo are people thinking that they're incredibly special for having sriracha mayo as an topping or condiment.

(and no, this isn't a swipe at anybody in particular)

Flavored mayos, specifically sriracha mayo.

Really? Anchovy or garlicky mayonnaise are classic and I've long appreciated other types of pulverized stuff added to mayonnaise as a spread on sandwiches.

I still maintain that soup-as-moat around edible islands has gotten a little too precious. However, there seems to be a movement to restore the role of soup as a liquid contents of bowl. In this weather, that bowl becomes a swimming pool into which one's spoon dives to cool the body down. Replacing inflatable, floating tubular devices, centralized dabs of savory gelato are quickly surfacing as trite food. Examples: Dijon mustard gelato, Black Pepper...

I feel like adding New Orleans cooking onto this list. No offense to Bayou Bakery, but now there's Bayou and a new place called Hot n Juicy Crawfish that just opened. Oh, and sort of acquainted is Mokomandy, which puts a Korean spin on Cajun cooking.

I would say the worse crime committed is including an ingredient in the name of your restaurant and then barely including it on your menu.

As a transplanted Louisiana gal let me interpret that menu for you. They serve boiled crawfish and sides. And beer.

Having never been there I can't tell you whether it's good or not, but a lot of very good places in Louisiana serve boiled crawfish and sides. And beer.

Not crawfish etouffee, not crawfish bisque, not crawfish pie, not crawfish monica, not crawfish balls.

Just boiled crawfish and sides. And beer.

Looks authentic to me.

I feel like adding New Orleans cooking onto this list. No offense to Bayou Bakery, but now there's Bayou and a new place called Hot n Juicy Crawfish that just opened. Oh, and sort of acquainted is Mokomandy, which puts a Korean spin on Cajun cooking.

Cajun cooking is not New Orleans cooking. Nor is Bayou cooking. Nor is boiled crawfish. You could call it Cajun, you could call it South Louisiana, but you'd never call it New Orleans style, which is Creole. Think Galatoire's. Or maybe you've never been to Galatoire's? You should . . . .

There are, of course, a lot of South Louisiana style chefs and restaurants in New Orleans. People from out of town don't know the difference, people from New Orleans like both styles, and are used to tourists, and it all tastes good, anyhow. There is a lot of cross-over but that doesn't change the fact, any more than selling dim sum at a Szechuan restaurant makes dim sum a Szechuan dish.

But dawlin', cher, if the day ever comes that there are a multitude of local restaurants selling fine Louisiana style cuisine, or even good Louisiana style cuisine, it will never be trite. Excellence is never trite.