JPW

The Trite Food List

Um, what is so special about a mini-burger... Krystal's anyone?

(for those fortunate people... White Castle?)

I discovered the latest triteness (although it's been with us for a while) while waiting for the office coffee machine to brew enough caffeine water to fill my mug. Staring at the notice board on the wall with slitted eyes and not quite awake to see that someon had posted a carryout menu from a new place in Gaithersburg -- Thaitanium

Enough with the Thai restaurants with punny names! They're no longer cute, they're annoying.

Mini-burgers now being served at...Ruby Tuesday.

(I know this from commercials, not experience, hand to God.)

Although I must admit, back when I was on the swim team in high school, nothing was better than a big bowl of their broccoli and cheese soup and several platefuls o' salad bar.

Enough with the Thai restaurants with punny names! They're no longer cute, they're annoying.

Couldn't agree more. If I didn't know better I would have thought it was mandatory to have an idiotic name for a new Thai restaurant.

Mini-burgers now being served at...Ruby Tuesday.

And Hard Times, too. Can't verify that you can get chili poured over them though.

And Hard Times, too.  Can't verify that you can get chili poured over them though.

I'll have a platter of mini bugers with chili and cheese, an order of rings, and a diet coke, please.

I'll have a platter of mini bugers with chili and cheese, an order of rings, and a diet coke, please.

and a side of Pepto-Bismol...to go...

I have found the morphing of the trite mini-burger...the trite mini-sloppy joe. And where can you find this temple of triteness? The Capitol Lounge, half price all night on Wednesdays.

I have found the morphing of the trite mini-burger...the trite mini-sloppy joe.  And where can you find this temple to triteness?  The Capitol Lounge, half price all night on Wednesdays.

Trite, perhaps, but...I kinda want some! <_<

--Matt,

Who Has A Can Of Sloppy Joe At Home That Has Been in His Family For Three Years

A plate of three for $3.95...they were actually pretty nasty.

The kicker is, they have a new "executive chef" at the lounge and he felt it was beneath him to run the 25 cent taco deal they have had at the Lounge on Wednesday nights for years. Personally the only reason I go to the Lounge of Wednesday nights is for the 25 cent tacos!

A plate of three for $3.95...they were actually pretty nasty. 
Oh...screw that, then. I'll just make my own. Watch This Space!

they have a new "executive chef" at the lounge
I find the idea that the Lounge would have an executive chef rather trite. I mean there are just certain places that should not have anything more than a cook, The Capitol Lounge is one of them.

Here's the kiss of death for a dish--seen at Giant recently: microwavable molten chocolate cake in a shelf-stable plastic bowl. Betty Crocker or some such major brand. Yick. What hath Thomas Keller wrought?

Here's the kiss of death for a dish--seen at Giant recently: microwavable molten chocolate cake in a shelf-stable plastic bowl. Betty Crocker or some such major brand. Yick. What hath Thomas Keller wrought?

Half-cooked microwaved brownie batter in a Gladware tub, that's what he wrought.

I find the idea that the Lounge would have an executive chef rather trite.  I mean there are just certain places that should not have anything more than a cook, The Capitol Lounge is one of them.

Agreed. Ideally, he should sweat into the food too.

The mini-burger madness has hit the Hawk and Dove. They had them on the menu on Monday in honor of opening day.

I opted for the Monte Christo instead....

Jennifer

Foam... at Sushi Kaz today one of the special sushis included "cucumber foam" ???????

(I wanted to order it, but everybody at my table was making fun of the foam so I did not)

Foam... at Sushi Kaz today one of the special sushis included "cucumber foam"  ???????

(I wanted to order it, but everybody at my table was making fun of the foam so I did not)

OK, since when is FOAM a food group? I ordered a dessert at Atlantico because it had "banana foam" and I was dying to know, but it was just banana flavored whipped cream. Was that so hard, or am I just a great big philistine?

OK, since when is FOAM a food group? I ordered a dessert at Atlantico because it had "banana foam" and I was dying to know, but it was just banana flavored whipped cream.  Was that so hard, or am I just a great big philistine?

this sounds like foam made the old-fashioned way with a mixer, but they actually use a carbon-dioxide technique at mini-bar. i believe, though i am unfamiliar with exactly how this equipment works. with a really good foam, the substance of the food is ditched and the flavor is carried on air. i had some excellent foam (chickpea?) at palena a couple of weeks ago, and killer pea foam in spain. the whole idea of foam is slightly frivolous, but it is the opposite of trite.

OK, since when is FOAM a food group? I ordered a dessert at Atlantico because it had "banana foam" and I was dying to know, but it was just banana flavored whipped cream.  Was that so hard, or am I just a great big philistine?

Welcome to DR.com beezy.

Oyamel and Restaurant Eve also put "foams" on their drinks. Oyamel uses "salt air" on some of their margaritas and Eve uses pickle foam on their pickle martini.

I'm with y'all.

Seeing espuma, foam , or air on a menu makes me crazy. And there are, what, no fewer than 3 on the current menu at minibar?

I'm with y'all.

Seeing espuma, foam , or air on a menu makes me crazy.  And there are, what, no fewer than 3 on the current menu at minibar?

but you don't see any snow around these parts. at least i haven't seen any.

I have now seen two separate references to "lobster corn dogs" in the past month and I'm pretty sure they're trite already.