JPW

The Trite Food List

I have now seen two separate references to "lobster corn dogs" in the past month and I'm pretty sure they're trite already.

Where? The one I tried at CK was good, but I am not a lobster nut like some people.

OK, since when is FOAM a food group? I ordered a dessert at Atlantico because it had "banana foam" and I was dying to know, but it was just banana flavored whipped cream.  Was that so hard, or am I just a great big philistine?

[You're a great big Philistine, but only because you triple-spaced on your first post.

Welcome, I think! Rocks.]

H'mmm.  What is the difference between a lobster nut and a ventworm nut?

nuttin'

H'mmm.  What is the difference between a lobster nut and a ventworm nut?

A couple of millimeters.

Has anyone else noticed that the "martini" fad died down?

My judgements on today's entries--

Foam -- trite

Lobster corn dogs -- not trite. we need more than two

Flash -- annoyingly trite (and just plain annoying)

Martinis that consist of more than gin/vodka and vermouth -- tritely trite

Lobster corn dogs -- not trite. we need more than two

As you wish. A quick Googling turned up more than a dozen, in Minneapolis, Las Vegas, San Francisco, Los Angeles, and several places in Seattle. Part of the "upscale gourmet" trend, according to one article, which is in itself possibly trite (yet, I have to admit, delicious.)

Keep this stuff comming; I need ideas for the picnic!

In that case, buy the iSi Thermo Whipper available at Williams and Sonoma. For only $149.95 you too can make your own air at home.

In the case of some of those martinis (see: H Street Martini Lounge drink menu), I rather suck on a bouillon cube and chase with rail vodka. Ewwwweee.

Classic Dry Martini

Bombay Sapphire with Dry Vermouth and an olive.

That sounds more like a salty lemonade to me.

I love the description for the Sapphire Martini at Two Amys--"small, expensive, good olive."

Two important developments inside the beltway. By far the more welcome and delightful is that Eunny Jang (where have you been Eunny Jang?) has her own blog! And if that weren't good enough news, she also had her first piece published in print in the slick DC Style Magazine. So why am I posting this on the Trite Food List thread?

Because food blogs are trite.

No, that ain't it. It's because her article was all about ...you guessed it....didn't you? Mini-Burgers! Kleig lights on. Red carpet rolling. Eunny Eunny Eunny!

[but where is Matchbox?!]

Poached eggs? I first had it in the bacon egg and cheese salad at Eve, but they have also made appearances in the pea soup at Blue Duck Tavern, on the pan roasted mushroom salad at Circle Bistro, the spinach and shrimp salad at Restaurant Kolumbia, and in asparagus soup at Galileo. I like poking a fork into the yolk and watching the goo ooze out. Except when it doesn't.

[ETA - not referring to poached eggs in eggs benedict, on corn beef hash, brunch concoctions and other places that poached eggs traditionally appear, which have transcended from hackneyed to hallowed. In fact, I wish there would be more corn beef hash with poached eggs on menus around here...breakfast, lunch or dinner.]

I'm also noticing the waning of those colorful decorative (but not terribly useful) drips and drizzles drawn and squeezed around plates these days.

I'm also noticing the waning of those colorful decorative (but not terribly useful) drips and drizzles drawn and squeezed around plates these days.

...but Brendan I must caution you about succumbing to the latest Trite Food Item, what can only be called "The Scraped Sperm Cell," clearly evident in your Alaskan Halibut, refer to the first and third pictures in this posting for an example, how was your week.

We were strongly into Scraped Sperm Cell territory with the fluke appetizer last night at 1789.

Cheers,
Rocks.

Poached eggs? <snip> I like poking a fork into the yolk and watching the goo ooze out. Except when it doesn't.

Don't forget the risi bisi at Palena! And I think (but I could be wrong) this was in an appetizer at Notti Bianchi.

Don't forget the risi bisi at Palena! And I think (but I could be wrong) this was in an appetizer at Notti Bianchi.
The asparagus app includes a poached egg and sauce gribiche.

You must not have been to a Bobby Flay restaurant in a while.

A well executed poached egg is never trite.

I agree. Eggs get the pass. Scotch eggs, deviled eggs, etc. All eggs, I declare you free and clear of The Trite Food List.

Love,

God

A well executed poached egg is never trite.

What is up with all those poached eggs I'm seeing these days served over an English Muffin and ham with Hollandaise on top. Hell, I was just served this very thing at Colorado Kitchen this weekend.

Are chefs ever going to get enough of poached eggs?

I am at the breaking point with Scallops as well as Polenta. Also have to agree with the Pork Belly, getting over used . Remember years ago when it appeared on the menu at cashion's.

I heard that Tallua will be putting pork belly on the menu.