Favorite TV Cooking Shows

erikv

Has anyone seen some of the food-related programming on INHD? I had to put my satellite service on hiatus for the past few months and have subbed in cable. INHD is, apparently, only found on cable and there are two shows I've just been glued to: After Hours with Daniel, where Daniel Boulud hosts some parties with assorted chefs, journalists and other personalities after hours at a handful of restaurants in NY. The ones I saw most recently are WD-50 and Dinosaur BBQ. You get some good background on the kitchens and the people behind them. The other is called Three Sheets, which I can best describe as a combination of Thirsty Traveler and the correspondent segments on The Daily Show. I'll actually miss these programs when I ditch the cable and go back to satellite. (There's also a beer show called Beer Nutz which sucks).

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Comcast doesn't seem to offer this channel, unfortunately. Hundreds of channels of crap, and one with shows I'd really like to see isn't available to me...

It's on Comcast, somewhere up in the 200's, and is part of their basic digital cable package.

The one annoying thing is that all shows are in letterbox, essentially, because it's an HD channel. So the top and bottom of the screen will have grey borders unless you have HD.

Caught a few minutes of 'Three Sheets' last night and am not an instant believer, but I'll pay more attention to it in the future.

Everything of Paula Deen's that I've tried myself has turned out fantastic. Friends ask me all the time to make them my (really her) banana pudding.

The opposite happens with Alton Brown's show. Although I enjoy watching it and find it very interesting, nothing I've tried of his has turned out as well as it should without me making adjustments. (shrug)

I agree that I've never been able to use Alton's recipes to make anything perfect (defined as TV ready, I suppose). However, I appreciate that he's willing to go (both in his show and his books) beyond what most chefs would consider the basics and delve deeper into a subatomic level. There's a generation of burgeoning foodies who have never received any of that developmental in-kitchen training beyond boiling water. With us you really do have to point out the basics of starches and fats, what flavors match well with others and why, the effect of salt, the Maillard reaction... Alton has helped quite a few 25 year olds understand cooking to the point where they can riff off of recipes without creating something putrid. I'm convinced that Alton's show is the best guide for people like myself, newly cast out of the Olive Garden of Shallow Delights and into the farmers' market and lurking about on this here board.

I can, however, see how all the energy, cripplingly awful puns, and overexplanation could get to you after a while.

Also part of newly formed food consciousness is this strange feeling that if civilization falls, even if only a day or two, Alton Brown and Anthony Bourdain will together devise a way to cook, carve, and plate Rachael Ray in a novel and satisfying way.

Good Eats is one of my favorites.

I'll toss out Nigella Lawson from the Style network on to this list. The way its filmed is quite nice both angles, lighting and it appears to be filmed like a movie.

I really miss Two Fat Ladies.

Emily

Also part of newly formed food consciousness is this strange feeling that if civilization falls, even if only a day or two, Alton Brown and Anthony Bourdain will together devise a way to cook, carve, and plate Rachael Ray in a novel and satisfying way.

Neither of them could make Rachael Ray palatable.

I adore Alton, but count me as another one who can't get all of his recipes to work out right. I've had the most success with Jamie Oliver's recipes, but I couldn't stand watching his shows (which were seemingly edited by gerbils mainlining espresso).

It's on Comcast, somewhere up in the 200's, and is part of their basic digital cable package.

The one annoying thing is that all shows are in letterbox, essentially, because it's an HD channel. So the top and bottom of the screen will have grey borders unless you have HD.

Caught a few minutes of 'Three Sheets' last night and am not an instant believer, but I'll pay more attention to it in the future.

I went looking again last night (on our HD tv instead of the other one) and found it. I was able to watch After Hours with Daniel Boulud. What the heck was Cat Cora doing there?

I went looking again last night (on our HD tv instead of the other one) and found it. I was able to watch After Hours with Daniel Boulud. What the heck was Cat Cora doing there?

I know, she was a fish out of water. And the Julia Child impression was priceless.

This is the type of show you would never see on the Food Network these days. Take some of the best chefs and actors in New York and film them eating a family-style meal of baby goat after hours? With no script, no cheeky nicknames for ingredients, and no voiceovers? It'll never sell!

Zora, did the scallops look even better in HD?

I know, she was a fish out of water. And the Julia Child impression was priceless.

This is the type of show you would never see on the Food Network these days. Take some of the best chefs and actors in New York and film them eating a family-style meal of baby goat after hours? With no script, no cheeky nicknames for ingredients, and no voiceovers? It'll never sell!

Zora, did the scallops look even better in HD?

Mario's Julia impression is the only one I've seen that's better than mine. Ask me to do my version of Julia doing the Witch's Recipe from Macbeth sometime.

All the food looked fabulous.

I'm pretty sure it's on 226.

There was also a new "Gordon Ramsey's Kitchen Nightmares" on BBC at 9, just before the Boloud show at 10. His BBC show is nothing like the Hell's Kitchen concept, and I've enjoyed watching a few of them, when I've caught the show channel surfing.

I'm also surprised no one mentioned (or maybe they did and I missed it) "No Reservations" with Anthony Bourdain on the Travel Channel. I haven't seen that many, as it's on Monday's at 10, and I often can't seem to stay awake for the whole show! (not because of the show, it's just me :unsure: ) Pretty educational, but not really a "cooking" show. BTW, AB is currently stuck in Lebanon...they were filming for an upcoming show when all hell broke loose... from egullet.org

I'm pretty sure it's on 226.

There was also a new "Gordon Ramsey's Kitchen Nightmares" on BBC at 9, just before the Boloud show at 10. His BBC show is nothing like the Hell's Kitchen concept, and I've enjoyed watching a few of them, when I've caught the show channel surfing.

I'm also surprised no one mentioned (or maybe they did and I missed it) "No Reservations" with Anthony Bourdain on the Travel Channel. I haven't seen that many, as it's on Monday's at 10, and I often can't seem to stay awake for the whole show! (not because of the show, it's just me :unsure: ) Pretty educational, but not really a "cooking" show. BTW, AB is currently stuck in Lebanon...they were filming for an upcoming show when all hell broke loose... from egullet.org

I love Kitchen Nightmares.

I watched 2 or 3 episodes of No Reservations and absolutely loathed it. The guy has become a caricature of himself. I'm sick of his shtick.

Let's see: My favorite cooking shows when I was in junior high and high school were The Frugal Gourmet (pre-abuse allegations) and the Great Chefs series. I think my first cookbook purchase was a Frugal Gourmet cookbook (although my first cookbook was my mother's two volume Gourmet cookbook from the early 60's)

Currently I'm enjoying watching Iron Chef, Giada and Ina Garten.

My recent guilty pleasure was Top Chef. Loved it! (and I hate reality programming).

My even guiltier pleasure is reading the Semi-Homemade cooking Television without Pity forum link , then watching the episodes while hurling insults at the TV. My recent favorite moments are when she made chocolate truffles with canned chocolate frosting and when she earnestly reminded her audience to make sure the hot dog is "cooked" to 160 degrees. Classic!

After Hours with Daniel Boulud looks awesome in HD. The episodes themselves have been hit or miss, IMO. The ones at Cru, BLT Prime, and WD-50 were very fun to watch. Aquavit (although I enjoyed my meal there several years ago) and Maremma, not so much.

It definitely depends a lot on the chefs and celebrities who show up. For example, Cornelius Gallagher (the chef at Oceana) is a riot in the Cru episode.

After Hours with Daniel Boulud looks awesome in HD. The episodes themselves have been hit or miss, IMO. The ones at Cru, BLT Prime, and WD-50 were very fun to watch. Aquavit (although I enjoyed my meal there several years ago) and Maremma, not so much.

It definitely depends a lot on the chefs and celebrities who show up. For example, Cornelius Gallagher (the chef at Oceana) is a riot in the Cru episode.

I've been diggin' After Hours more and more. If you haven't checked to see if your system has INHD, look for it. It's a cool show. Not perfect, but a nice change from you average piece of rodent poop found on the Food Network.

(Three Sheets, too!)

So, I'm watching the Food Network, and this commercial for "Kitchen Basics" stock and broth products comes on, with this chefly-looking guy talking about how 'rich' their products are compared to other brands. He's got two beakers: One filled with "Kitchen Basics" chicken stock with a "Kitchen Basics" stock box behind it, and the comparison beaker filled with a clearly lighter liquid in it. Very convincing. Except the can behind THAT beaker was labled 'chicken broth'. :)

--Matt

Bored

It has kept me watching for a 2nd week, but I find every "chef" almost unbearable. Incorporating "sexy" food in tonight's episode just screams of a desperate attempt for ratings. This will likely be my last time watching. The producers of the show should have just kept with Project Runway....which was a major guilty pleasure of mine...yes, im embarassed to admit that.

This show very unexpectedly became a guilty pleasure of mine, although I only caught the last 10 shows of the first season. I noticed the new season of Top Chef is kicking off in late October ... I will resist this time, I WILL.

Ok go ahead and stone me but I really like Bobby Flay's Boy meets Grill. There is some serious hate going around for that guy but I like him. BBQ U with Raichlen is the only other cooking show I have set to record on my DVR, BUT I will always stop flipping channels for Iron Chef and Giadi (when my girlfriend isn't paying attention). I think the thing I like about the first two is just finding ways to break out of the typical backyard BBQ mold. Since I do a lot of cooking on the grill the usual smoked meats/hamb./chicken/lamb kabobs get old by about mid june.

Oh I always watched Top Chef also. What a fantastic show. The unintentional comedy was through the roof. I have never seen worse editing and a more wooden performance from a reality host EVER. Oh man Mrs. Joel was HORRRIBLE. To the point of actually being embarrassed for her while you are watching it.

Ok go ahead and stone me but I really like Bobby Flay's Boy meets Grill. There is some serious hate going around for that guy but I like him. BBQ U with Raichlen is the only other cooking show I have set to record on my DVR, BUT I will always stop flipping channels for Iron Chef and Giadi (when my girlfriend isn't paying attention). I think the thing I like about the first two is just finding ways to break out of the typical backyard BBQ mold. Since I do a lot of cooking on the grill the usual smoked meats/hamb./chicken/lamb kabobs get old by about mid june.

I developed a dislike for Flay when he used to do the show where his friends would hang out with him and help him cook. He always brought on these bimbos to help him out. Don't get me wrong - I'm a big fan of the T&A (witness my inability to turn the channel when Giada is on) - but for some reason it really bugged me with Flay. Maybe it made him "schmarmier" than he already is. But the man does make amazing sauces.

I enjoy BBQ U - has anyone actually gone there?? I admit that I'd love to go there one day (hello wifey?? are you reading??). I've gotten most of my grilling technique from watching Good Eats and am looking to expand, especially with the smoker.

Have you tried watching Licensed to Grill? Rob Rainford does some pretty diverse stuff. I wish he's cook more with charcoal. I think charcoal demands a completely different grilling style.

I love Top Chef, though it does pale in comparison with Project Runway.

(Nothing beats Heidi and her auf'ing...)

I'm also looking forward to seeing how Mrs. Salman Rushdie will do as the replacement for Mrs. Billy Joel. Actually, I don't even care how she does as a host, I'm just looking forward to seeing her (Padma Lakshmi is hot!) And her inclusion makes a tiny bit more sense than the wooden robot. I (think) she hosted a cooking show and has a few cookbooks under her belt.

...I really like Bobby Flay...
Bobby flay is the zenith (some say scourge) of has-been cooks who are so soulless and technically aloof as to practice their scripted craft in front of television cameras and laugh tracks. Cynics decry that inferior nutmeg (and shit) floats right up to the tippy top. Touché.

I, for one, enthusiastically applaud the Food TV editors for not deleting his burning of hamburger buns, nor his benign reaction to said burnt buns, genuine ignorance and general carelessness. His scorching of jambalaya rice was, without hyperbole, extraordinary.

The food-court rate brunch themed Tex-Mex troubadour atop his one trick pony, with blue corn tortilla chips, 56 spice chipotle glaze and lobster chimichangas in his quiver missing the mark when cooking rice in a wild west cauldron should have had the acoustic accoutrements of slide whistle-spring-bop blooper effects generally reserved for sporting goods hitting crotches and the elderly falling off of retaining walls. A mere producer’s lapse. In the late-night brine of mouthbreathing televised entertainment, strands of drool tremble with every exhaling chuckle as señor Flay cannot find his ass or man-boobs, even with all the helpful pairs of Chi-Chi’s employees' hands nation wide at his disposal

I am also partial to the sonic blade infomercial and its candid demonstrations of how conventional cutlery and overzeal will squish, squash or smush cartoon-decked sandwiches, and won’t slice through avocado pits.

There is a new female host for "Top Chef" this season, I think this is the best food show on TV! The new Paula Dean show on the Food Network looks interesting as well, I just wish they would fire on sons.

The Dean Boys have the worst food show on TV!

Bobby flay is the zenith (some say scourge) of has-been cooks who are so soulless and technically aloof as to practice their scripted craft in front of television cameras and laugh tracks. Cynics decry that inferior nutmeg (and shit) floats right up to the tippy top. Touché.

I, for one, enthusiastically applaud the Food TV editors for not deleting his burning of hamburger buns, nor his benign reaction to said burnt buns, genuine ignorance and general carelessness. His scorching of jambalaya rice was, without hyperbole, extraordinary.

The food-court rate brunch themed Tex-Mex troubadour atop his one trick pony, with blue corn tortilla chips, 56 spice chipotle glaze and lobster chimichangas in his quiver missing the mark when cooking rice in a wild west cauldron should have had the acoustic accoutrements of slide whistle-spring-bop blooper effects generally reserved for sporting goods hitting crotches and the elderly falling off of retaining walls. A mere producer’s lapse. In the late-night brine of mouthbreathing televised entertainment, strands of drool tremble with every exhaling chuckle as señor Flay cannot find his ass or man-boobs, even with all the helpful pairs of Chi-Chi’s employees' hands nation wide at his disposal

I am also partial to the sonic blade infomercial and its candid demonstrations of how conventional cutlery and overzeal will squish, squash or smush cartoon-decked sandwiches, and won’t slice through avocado pits.

I think you need to cut some slack to my man Flay. Comparing cooking skills for a TV show to actual prowess at running the back of the house at a popular restaurant isn't fair. What if you had one of the nations top meteoroligical minds, a nerdy shy scientist type, and stuck him on the evening news. He stumbles over lines, misreads the teleprompter and says its going to snow in July. Does that mean he doesn't know shit about the weather? No. I saw a behind the scenes thing on those cooking shows and there is so much production going into that, most of the time they aren't even cooking that stuff. And doing multiple takes of him whisking in an ingredient. Or a closeup of the pot being stirred. I think it is just two different things.

I think Iron Chef is a bit truer to reality and he cleans up on that show. And its not like all the judges were pulled off of a table at Ruby Tuesdays to come judge. Most of them are respected food people and he has taken out some very well regarded chefs. He has a pretty ridiculous record on that show. I have been to two of his restaurants and the meals were great. He came up the hard way starting off at the bottom at 17 in NYC and impressed the head chef he was working for so much the dude sent him to culinary school. So why do so many people rag on him? Someone makes it big and they are automatically a sell out poser I guess.

I think Iron Chef is a bit truer to reality and he cleans up on that show. And its not like all the judges were pulled off of a table at Ruby Tuesdays to come judge. Most of them are respected food people and he has taken out some very well regarded chefs. He has a pretty ridiculous record on that show.
Yes, but Iron Chef US is like the bastard gimpy stepcousin (twice removed) of the original Iron Chef. It is rare that I see anything interesting or innovative on that show. btw - What happened to the old Iron Chef episodes that were in syndication on Food Network?

There is no begrudging BF his success. However....

There is definitely something of the whiny 3 year old to him.

I, too, tire of seeing him make the same hot pepper sauces in squeeze bottles to be sprayed onto the plate like so many spermsicles.

Someone makes it big and they are automatically a sell out poser .
Any chef worth their salt would never compromise their dignity nor craft for an 11:30am cable time slot engineered for chubby housewives, and paralytic college students. (A 2:30 time slot would include alcoholics and the unemployed). Their passion is their trade and any chef that has removed their apron (or doesn’t wear one at all) to chase $$ down the Emmy hole, open stoic restaurants indiscriminately or put their name on canned pizza and airport food is a business person. Mr. Flay’s congenial vision is financially successful at best and his gimmick cookery has contributed as much to posterity as both the Flowbee and Zima combined. At the very least, when considering the immigration debate currently being waged along the southwestern border, his birthday party food will be remembered as topical.

Anthropomorphically, Rachel Ray is a muppet.

She embodies the zippy joie de vivre of Big Bird and the frugal zest of Beauregard the janitor.

Similarly, Bobby Flay would be the barbiturate Capt. Link Hogthrob.

Any chef worth their salt would never compromise their dignity nor craft for an 11:30am cable time slot engineered for chubby housewives, and paralytic college students. (A 2:30 time slot would include alcoholics and the unemployed). Their passion is their trade and any chef that has removed their apron (or doesn’t wear one at all) to chase $$ down the Emmy hole, open stoic restaurants indiscriminately or put their name on canned pizza and airport food is a business person. Mr. Flay’s congenial vision is financially successful at best and his gimmick cookery has contributed as much to posterity as both the Flowbee and Zima combined. At the very least, when considering the immigration debate currently being waged along the southwestern border, his birthday party food will be remembered as topical.

She embodies the zippy joie de vivre of Big Bird and the frugal zest of Beauregard the janitor.

Maybe I'm overly sensitive, but some of these criticisms come off as sounding a bit elitist to me. And the "sell out" critique is, I think, a bit tired. It reminds me of a 14 year old who is pissed off because his favorite underground band sold out by signing on to a major record label.

I'm with Blake G on this one. Sure Flay can be predictable, and sometimes appears unaware of ingredients other than ancho chiles, tomatillos, mangoes, and lobster, but you know what? People seem to like him. If they didn't, he wouldn't be all over TV.

Whoa whoa. I am not sticking up for Rachel Ray. I just know, as a lot of us here do, that restaurant life is not great for spending time with loved ones. Most of us in the business are prepping for the evening at about the time kids get off school, non-restaurant friends and family are getting off work etc. and we won't be home until the late PM or early AM. So if I had a family and someone offered me the kind of money he probably got to, travel the country tasting local cuisines and meeting all different kinds of chefs as you go, have occasional cook-offs with other chefs, and be able to spread your love and vision of food and cooking with millions of people who have never had, and never would have the opportunity to step foot in your restaurant all while still demanding a much more normal schedule, yeah I might hang up my apron also. Call me a sellout.

Plus I always admire people who succeed at one thing then at the peak of success jump into something completely unfamiliar determined to succeed at that just for the challenge. He had no restaurant training but jumped into the fire in a kitchen in NYC reached the top of the game there, went to culinary school came back and started his own restaurant proved himself there, jumped into mass media with no education in business broadcasting or anything else and is a success there. I just get upset when people come down on "sellouts". Not just in foodie world but anywhere. Most of the time those "sellouts" are the hardest workers and the only ones among us willing to jump headfirst out of their comfort zone. This is getting deep for a favorite TV shows discussion. I am assuming the Don will be heading this off sometime soon. I think it is more a debate of artistic integrity/vs business end of restauranting using Flay as a case study.

I'll toss out Nigella Lawson from the Style network on to this list. The way its filmed is quite nice both angles, lighting and it appears to be filmed like a movie.

It appears that Nigella has a new show on the Food Network that's presumably based on her Feast book. It premieres this Sunday. VERY excited.

BTW, I was watching Everyday Italian the other day and Giada (a.k.a. Little Big Head) made a great-looking panini with tuna and frisee. Has anyone ever tried to make panini using a Foreman grill? I'd rather not buy a unitasking panini press if possible.

It appears that Nigella has a new show on the Food Network that's presumably based on her Feast book. It premieres this Sunday. VERY excited.

I heard her being interviewed on the radio--Diane Rehm's show IIRC. It was interesting to find out that she is Jewish. I shouldn't be, but I am surprised when someone with a strong English or Southern accent turns out to be a member of the tribe.

I'd rather not buy a unitasking panini press if possible.
Do they make panini presses that flip around to a non-grill side? Because, if so, you can use it for Cuban sandwiches, and any other sandwich will benefit from a nice toast in the sandwich press.

My grandmother used a sandwich press in her restaurant for poorboys and burgers. Hot ham and cheese, yum!

But to answer your question, according to the manufacturer, you can use a Foreman grill for panini. I admit to having a Foreman grill, but have never actually used it.

To approximate a sandwich press, I use the trusty cast iron skillet, with another cast iron skillet on top. You have to flip it, which you don't have to do in a sandwich press, but you can hang it up on a rack when you're done with it.

Any chef worth their salt would never compromise their dignity nor craft for an 11:30am cable time slot engineered for chubby housewives, and paralytic college students.
The shows are pre-taped so what difference does it make when it's aired?

Today Mario is on at 10:30 AM EDT and Emeril at 3:00 AM, but the shows have been repeated repeatedly. But "dignity and craft" isn't what the Food Network is selling, or any other cooking show, they're selling entertainment and education. It's just food, for cri-yi, it ain't rocket surgery nor the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel.

As for "chubby", my perception is that a sizeable number of DR members are on the other side of the recommended BMI, although perhaps you are not.

That article was pretty depressing. I quit watching FoodTV a few years ago, when the shows I liked kept getting pushed to weirder and weirder hours.

Me too. As for the subject of this thread, the original Iron Chef was my all time favorite food show; much like Star Trek in its day, it also rewarded repeat viewing. I guess it's not on anymore. The American knock-off is occasionally entertaining, but predictably dumbed down.

People! It's called Tivo! And it's a better invention than the television itself!
No Tivo here. We debated whether to even get cable after we moved.

More Rachael Ray... It was bad enough when she had two shows on six times a day. I guess I can be thankful that I stand little chance of catching her talk show. :)

The bigger problem is that you guys watch TV. If it wasn't for this website, I'm not sure I'd even know who Rachel Ray is.

Going to read Milton by candlelight in my dark, cold basement now,

Rocks.

I saw Rachel Ray for the first time last week. Her show (don't know which one - is there more than one?) was on the tv above the bar where I was waiting for some colleagues after work. She was mooshing together some hamburger meat with (I am not kidding) big chunks of hotdog to make something that was supposed to appeal to the kid in all of us. "So delish" she emoted into the camera. Are you kidding me?

Do they still even RUN the original Iron Chef? I prefer the American one for my own culinary edification, but the Japanese version couldn't be beat for sheer entertainment.

It used to be every night before bed, 11 o'clock, ALLEZ CUISINE!

The only good thing about the American IC is Alton Brown's commentary and explanations. In every other respect it pales in comparison to the Japanese version, IMHO.

The only good thing about the American IC is Alton Brown's commentary and explanations. In every other respect it pales in comparison to the Japanese version, IMHO.
I completely agree. I just find that the food is more accessible to me in the American version, and thus I can apply what I learn more in my own kitchen.

Have you even tried to find good benito shavings in Safeway? :)

My favorite show is Paula Deen. Why? Because my kids love anything she cooks up! It ain't foodie! Plus I love her voice, y'all.
I don't like her food, but her back story is fascinating. Her husband left her with two little kids and she struggled with depression for years as a single mom. She got started in the food business selling sandwiches to offices. She can "sell out" as much as she wants. Good for her.