Hooters

I cannot believe we have a thread on Hooters. We have officially hit a new low. Every feminist cell in my body is in disgust. Good wings or not.

Now if they started a companion chain called Packages, and served the legendary wings, that would be another stoty.

I cannot believe we have a thread on Hooters.  We have officially hit a new low.  Every feminist cell in my body is in disgust.  Good wings or not.

Now if they started a companion chain called Packages, and served the legendary wings, that would be another stoty.

Somehow I get the feeling that the signature dish at a place called "packages" would probably contain pork, not poultry.

But the worst part is that they are NOT good wings... at least not in my limited-to-one-visit experience.

the worst part is that the premise of the restaurant is outrageously sexist. objectification and marginalization don't come in any clearer packages than hooters.

My father, brother-in-law and I have a Christmas Eve lunch tradition at one of Richmond's Hooters. Okay wings, boring, poorly shucked-but-I-haven't-died-from-one-yet oysters, a few pints of Yuengling and some chatter. It's one of the very few times my dad gets to do "guy stuff," so it's good in that way, and we're all too ugly and whipped to be particularly inappropriate toward the help.

</confessional>

But get this, this one neighbor of my B-I-L's, whom we like very much, comes every year. And every year, he touches nary a wing and orders......a grouper sandwich.

I think it's strange and funny that the translation for Hooters in Chinatown is literally, "Owl Restaurant". No slang equivalent in mandarin or cantonese?

Sorry. I know. It's terribly unfeminist of me. I'm acting out against my Mount Holyoke years at a women's college.

Oh please. I love the wings at Hooters! They have a great scheme going! Wings that make you seriously fat served by gorgeous girls. I wore the exact same uniform when I was their age in Miami at a bar! I made more money per hour then I do today!

I take my kids there also! More power to them! This is a great country!

Oh please. I love the wings at Hooters! They have a great scheme going! Wings that make you seriously fat served by gorgeous girls. I wore the exact same uniform when I was their age in Miami at a bar! I made more money per hour then I do today!

I take my kids there also! More power to them! This is a great country!

Except, I've heard (don't have any personal experience) that women get the short shrift at that place. Somebody know this for sure?

They have some strange rules , considering the culture. No body piercings, tatoos, etc. But I haven't heard anything else.

My sources are some women on my Grand Jury who went to lunch there because some of the guys insisted. The entire group was VERY late back and the women were PISSED, not to mention the rest of us who had to sit in that claustrophobic room waiting for a quorum. Needless to say, Hooters was taken off the list of lunch places for the rest of our term.

My one and only Hooters experience was down in North Myrtle Beach because I HAD to watch the DC United game I was missing while visiting the folks...and Hooters was the only bar nearby that had ESPN2...My waitress said in a lovely southern twang, "I've worked here since this place opened and you are the first person to sit down and watch a soccer game." I suspect I was also the last.

• Like 1

Words fail me.  Make sure you have a good shrink lined up for them in a few years <_<

I'm always surprised at how many kids are running around the place... not so much the Chinatown one - but stop by the one out in Fairfax on a Saturday afternoon and it's like a little league game.

<focus>

I enjoy the wings. Breaded. All-Drums. Three-Mile-Island (any hotter and they're too saucy). Good curly fries too.

I'm always surprised at how many kids are running around the place... not so much the Chinatown one - but stop by the one out in Fairfax on a Saturday afternoon and it's like a little league game.

<focus>

I enjoy the wings.  Breaded.  All-Drums.  Three-Mile-Island (any hotter and they're too saucy).  Good curly fries too.

A couple of years ago my son was invited to a birthday party there, for a girl's 16th Bday at that. I was a little nonplussed to say the least.

While the topic has stayed mainly on the waitresses and wings, has anyone else had their Alaskan Crab Legs(sold in half pound/pound)? Not the best in the world but can't expect that from a rather large chain. At Rockville I had them once and remember them being served with a 'local seasoning' that had a red color to it. Anyone know the name of it?

Seriously? Probably Old Bay Seasoning. But at Hooter's, it very well may have just been paprika.

I honestly do like the wings, and you can get 'em carry-out (which is how this thread got started) if the scenery is too much for you.

My good friend Eric (who went to college close enough to Mt. Holyoke to have picked up the karma) insisted that if we tried to take him to a strip joint for his bachelor party he would hail a cab and leave. So instead of taking him out to a top notch dinner, as originally planned, we took him to a shooting range and then Hooters. He was gracious enough to stay, although for all the hype the place felt pretty antiseptic. But we did get the bucket of (mediocre) chicken wings and bottle of DP - twice. This champagne retails at $130-$140 and they sell it for $150 (less if you take out the price of the chicken). And when was the last time you wanted to have the sommelier pose for a photo with your blushing guest of honor?

I did call ahead to ask about corkage for some lesser priced wines I wanted to bring for everyone but they said they don't take outside alcohol. Thus the DP was supplanted by lashings of Yeungling or some such. Nothing's perfect.

I don't think Hooter's is any worse than the Heart Attack Grill (though I've never been to the Heart attack Grill). Back when I played rugby, not only did Hooters doante prize money to a tournament, but also allowed us to check off how many of the 30 some-odd pitchers of beer per each keg we bought had been consumed. At the end of the post game party, they actually let us carry obver the remaining pitchers (THAT stopped after a few months :unsure: ).

They do indeed have a good scheme going and I'm sure most waitresses there make good money. They did when I was treasurer of the rugby club.

Thanks,

Eric

http://www.heartattackgrill.com/

A friend, who does like those wings, once took her 5-year old daughter in to Hooter's to pick up a carry out order. The little girl looked around, looked up to her mom and said, "Mom, when I grow up do you think I can be a stay-at-home mom AND a Hooter's waitress?"!!!

I have to defend Hooters' wings. They're not all breaded. If you don't like them breaded, order the ones without breading. ;)

Without breading?!?! OMG, who would do such a thing? The breading is why we eat chicken in the first place!

After trying to order "naked" wings from a few other places on Saturday night to no avail (freakin low carb diet), I picked up the phone and ordered carry-out from Hooters. I don't go to Hooters often, maybe once every few years, but I have always been happy with their wings and I was again on Saturday night. What I was not happy with, however, was the service that I got at the restaurant. After walking in, they sent me over to the bar where the take out orders were being put together. The waitress was talking to her friends at the bar and paid no attention to me, or the other four people, waiting for their order. After ten minutes (I looked at my watch) of standing around attempting to get her attention, I stopped the manager as he was walking by and asked if he could help us. His response, "We are very busy, you will just have to wait your turn." Are you freakin kidding me!? So, I did what any rational person would do, I started looking through the orders on the counter (they were stacked high), found mine, put down my money (I was lucky to have almost exact change) and walked out of there. As I was walking out, one of the other guys standing there waiting for their food said, "I wish I could do that, I was here before you, but I only have a credit card."

By the way, they weren't that crowded. By the way again, at least 40% of the patrons there were women, lots of little kids too.