Drinking in Clarendon

Has any one heard about the restaurant Yaku being built on the first floor of the Odyssey Condos?

It is apparently going to be Peruvian and Chinese, are there any other restaurants serving this type of food in the area? I don't think I have ever heard of that type of food, any speculation on what they will serve?

Well, you can get Peruvian and Greek/Italian at Delia's in Springfield....but yes, I'll admit that you have happened upon a unique fusion....

Has any one heard about the restaurant Yaku being built on the first floor of the Odyssey Condos?

The City Paper had an interesting article last year about Javier Angeles-Beron, a chef who would have been a chef and partner at Yaku but had left Latin Concepts.

This past May, the Washington Business Journal also had an article about the upcoming Yaku and said: "Fraga-Rosenfeld brought Chef Gisela Laos from Peru, where she ran a culinary school, to oversee Yaku's menu, which is still being finalized. He said it will likely include some of the Latin fare offered at his other restaurants, along with a mix of Chinese noodle dishes, known as 'tallarines,' stir-fries and soups."

It is apparently going to be Peruvian and Chinese, are there any other restaurants serving this type of food in the area?

There are Inti in Adams Morgan (thread here) and Kam Po on Leesburg Pike near Bailey's Crossroads (anyone been to these lately?).

I went to go lease an apt. last week and the leasing officer (?) had a box of six sitting on her desk and offered one to me.

I tried the coconut one and it was very sweet and on the small side. The cake was very moist, but not in a good way, almost as if they use to much oil in the recipe?

This will be dangerous to be in Clarendon though. Even if they're mediocre cupcakes, I could see myself eating them far too frequently if they were just downstairs from me. I don't know if I'll be moving into Zoso though, the apartment I tried to lease--the tenants changed their mind at the last minute and now it's no longer available. :(

Other places in Zoso:

American Flatbread (not that good, WAY to expensive for what it is!)

Artisan Confections (1/2 of ACKC! I wonder if they'll bring the cocoa bar? Dunno if thats AC or KC)

Rustico AND Buzz Bakery will be coming to the Ballston/Va Square (halfway b/n) area 2010 summer, which will be MUCH better on both counts (American Flatbread and BakeShopDC)

Artisan Confections (1/2 of ACKC! I wonder if they'll bring the cocoa bar? Dunno if thats AC or KC)

PLEASE, PLEASE do not confuse Artisan Confections with ACKC. We have nothing to do with them and they are completely different and separate business!!!

It really is like comparing apples and oranges.

At Faccia Luna this evening, there were flyers posted that said they had lost the lease on their parking lot as of June 1 and that Federal Parking had taken it over as a paid lot. Faccia Luna diners will receive $2 off their parking costs and folks getting takeout should be able to get free parking. They recommend that orders be called in ahead of time because the amount of time allowed to get in and out for the free parking is very limited.

We have FREE UNDERGROUND parking (1st level of the garage at Zoso Flats) at American Flatbread - 1025 N Fillmore St (corner 11th & Fillmore).

Other places in Zoso:

American Flatbread (not that good, WAY to expensive for what it is!)

Have you been in to try us? We are cheaper than all of the pizza establishments in the area and feature locally sourced and organic ingredients. Additionally, The Washingtonian has featured us as "Best 100 Cheap Eats" in the Greater Metro DC area for 2008 & 2009.

Very funny - a few nights ago, in front of Cheesecake Factory, employees of American Flatbread were handing out free pizza to people waiting for tables at CF. I hope they persuaded at least some people to change restaurants.

Now that's smart marketing -- and ballsy

Very funny - a few nights ago, in front of Cheesecake Factory, employees of American Flatbread were handing out free pizza to people waiting for tables at CF. I hope they persuaded at least some people to change restaurants.

You know what? I was thinking of doing this (flyers, not pizza) to promote our Restaurant 3 Happy Hour. Yep, I was actually going to stand there and do it myself. I originally thought about the concept a few months ago, after walking out of an empty La Canela, and then by a bustling Austin Grill, although that was more of an "on-the-spot" fantasy - on the drive home, I was dreaming up plans to write a short persuasive essay, and signing my name to it, so they didn't think I was some paid shill working for La Canela. I'm absolutely not ruling out some variant of this in the future because I think it's a great idea, and yes, I'll use recycled paper.

Cheer,

Rocks.

PLEASE, PLEASE do not confuse Artisan Confections with ACKC. We have nothing to do with them and they are completely different and separate business!!!

Right, except your oranges are artfully macerated in booze and then enrobed in tip-top chocolate.

I wonder how the OP got so confused?

We have FREE UNDERGROUND parking (1st level of the garage at Zoso Flats) at American Flatbread - 1025 N Fillmore St (corner 11th & Fillmore).

Have you been in to try us? We are cheaper than all of the pizza establishments in the area and feature locally sourced and organic ingredients. Additionally, The Washingtonian has featured us as "Best 100 Cheap Eats" in the Greater Metro DC area for 2008 & 2009.

I didn't know you had free parking! There is normally street parking nearby, but that is so good to know. Thanks for posting this.

Right, except your oranges are artfully macerated in booze and then enrobed in tip-top chocolate.

I wonder how the OP got so confused?

ACKC is an amalgamation of the names of the two separate businesses - Artfully Chocolate and Kingsbury Chocolate - that merged to create the current one. Artisan Confections IS a very different (and delicious) thing - one that I'm looking forward to having so close to my office!

I have been telling everyone I know that 1025 N. Fillmore St. is the new Clarendon foodie row!

The chocolate rocks(heavenly sea salt caramels), the flatbread rocks(great beer selection as well)...and I hear rumors that the wine bar is going to be rockin'

I am biased though.

:(

Hope everyone is staying dry this weekend. Tonight is going to be a PHO night for me. mmmmm

-Wendy

I'd planned on eating kind of slowly and relaxing with a drink or two after, but the kitchen closed at 9, and by 9:30 the bartender was basically getting ready to shut down. Ahhh, well...

Yesterday was a weird day in Clarendon and a lot of places were closed or closed early. Lyon Hall is usually open fairly late.

From a business perspective its interesting to see quite a number of places in Clarendon not opening on weekdays till 4 PM. These aren't straight out high end restaurants. They are restaurants, bars with medium priced fare (and up). There is simply too little day business to go around, evidently with too many places that are there, and relatively little office driven lunch time business to support all these establishments during the lunch hours and merit staffing up.

Ballston has fewer places that don't open till 4, as its office market is simply larger and supports more lunch business. Man....its gotta be tough to make it in Clarendon with a lot of very high rents, a lot of competition, and limited hours to take advantage of it all.

From a business perspective its interesting to see quite a number of places in Clarendon not opening on weekdays till 4 PM. These aren't straight out high end restaurants. They are restaurants, bars with medium priced fare (and up). There is simply too little day business to go around, evidently with too many places that are there, and relatively little office driven lunch time business to support all these establishments during the lunch hours and merit staffing up.

Ballston has fewer places that don't open till 4, as its office market is simply larger and supports more lunch business. Man....its gotta be tough to make it in Clarendon with a lot of very high rents, a lot of competition, and limited hours to take advantage of it all.

Welcome to 14 UP. Lunch business there is non-existent.

Welcome to 14 UP. Lunch business there is non-existent.

I'm not familiar with "14 UP" but Rosslyn, Ballston, Crystal City, Bethesda, and Courthouse all have substantially more office space and lunch time office workers, and Clarendon has this surfeit of retail space, most of it dedicated to food, meaning that so many places have to compete for dinner and late night food and drinks, all combined with some enormously high rents. That is a tough place to do business for anyone in the F&B business. Just looking at it makes me think you have to do something special, unique, be damn good at it and consistent because that is a tough market with virtually all of the revenues falling in limited hours.

Just my $0.02.

I'm not familiar with "14 UP" but Rosslyn, Ballston, Crystal City, Bethesda, and Courthouse all have substantially more office space and lunch time office workers, and Clarendon has this surfeit of retail space, most of it dedicated to food, meaning that so many places have to compete for dinner and late night food and drinks, all combined with some enormously high rents. That is a tough place to do business for anyone in the F&B business. Just looking at it makes me think you have to do something special, unique, be damn good at it and consistent because that is a tough market with virtually all of the revenues falling in limited hours.

Just my $0.02.

Does anybody have any idea how the Clarendon Ballroom survives when it seems like it is hardly ever open? That must be an expensive location. Maybe they own the building.

:) I didn't know what 14-UP was either -- found the answer here:

(I can't seem to use the link function when I'm posting from my ipad).

Yup, I've gone out to lunch on weekdays in Clarendon when I've worked from home - such as to Cava, Liberty Tavern, and Screwtop, and the lunch crowd has been pretty sparse. The new office space coming to the block where Eleventh Lounge used to be may help bring more daytime business. Currently there's an enormous hole in the ground. According to ArlNow, CNA is planning to move approximately 600 employees into that building in early 2014. See article and subsequent comment to the article posted by ArlNow about 3/4 of the way down at 1:40om here: http://www.arlnow.com/2012/01/25/new-office-buildings-approved-for-clarendon/

Does anybody have any idea how the Clarendon Ballroom survives when it seems like it is hardly ever open? That must be an expensive location. Maybe they own the building.

They're open on Fridays and Saturdays which are the two days when we all make most of our money, so while it's hardly ever open, they open on the right days. They also can hold more people in there than 3-4 Clarendon bars combined, so when they are full, there are A LOT of people in there spending money. Thirdly, they have an excellent and successful catering operation. I can understand how that last point could seem inconceivable to anyone who has watched 22 year olds guzzle Red Bull and Vodka with their chicken fingers before lurching out onto Wilson Boulevard, but I swear it's true.

Don: there's also this existing Dining in Clarendon thread: http://www.donrockwell.com/index.php?/topic/3552-dining-in-clarendon/

---

[Thanks! Merged! DR.]

---

That older thread is quite a trip down memory lane. So many changes in only 6 years. The thread starts from the days before Liberty Tavern, Spider Kelly's, Eventide, and Restaurant 3. (I'd forgotten all about India Curry House.)

Edited by DonRocks

I'd just like to add that Willow has a great lunch and I will also make the bold statement that we have, hands down , THE BEST Burger around!!!!! I stand by that statement and will buy it back if you don't agree. It's only available at the Bar and my Nosh Area....it's a double burger, Virginia raised beef, smoked in house and on a homeade roll and served with hand cut fries... I challenge anyone to not agree ;)

I'd just like to add that Willow has a great lunch and I will also make the bold statement that we have, hands down , THE BEST Burger around!!!!! I stand by that statement and will buy it back if you don't agree. It's only available at the Bar and my Nosh Area....it's a double burger, Virginia raised beef, smoked in house and on a homeade roll and served with hand cut fries... I challenge anyone to not agree ;)

I won't challenge Chris. But will point out that he's biased since, well, he works at Willow. ;) I, on the other hand, am not biased since I'm just a regular joe fortunate to be able to get around a bit and have had lunch at Willow several times in the past year or two. It's a mainstay for me whenever I need a good lunch spot out Clarendon way for a business lunch. For reasons I can't explain, I usually order seafood there. Always very good food and, anytime you have a seriously accomplished baker as a co-owner, well, good things happen on the dessert menu. All said, didn't know about and have never had Willow's burger. Will do it next time. Still missing Chris at Freddy's. That bar, still great, just isn't the same without him. :(

Responding on the Amoo's Kabob thread (saying that Kabob Bazaar in Clarendon also has delicious Persian food) reminded me that I was pretty sure it was open for lunch. Website says it is. I recommend the chicken shish kabob, juicy and with lots of well-grilled vegetables, with the zeresh polo which is definitely worth the slight surcharge over regular rice for the flavorful bayberries and saffron. The must-o-kheyer is excellent -- yogurt/cucumber sauce akin to raita but thicker -- which I dip the chewy fresh-baked pita in between bites of kabob. I also get the noon paneer sabzi as a side, from the "vegetarian side dishes" -- fresh basil, cilantro and parsley, chunks of pungent feta, and walnuts, all of which I use to top bites of the kabob meal.

That's too much food for one meal for me, so I usually get two meals out of it (especially if I order an extra skewer of grilled vegetables).

yeah...but Willow is sooooooooooo Ballston...not Clarendon...and has a lot more office space around for potential lunch business

Since this thread is popping back up, I'll have to remind everyone of the treasure we have in Earl's. I think the original in Clarendon is still running on all cylinders, even with the second location in Ballston. In fact, we just went for lunch today, I had the fish and fries sandwich while Mrs. Viking had the crabcake, both are consistently good.

I had the pork and fries at Earl's the other day. What a wonderful sandwich. After devouring it I was scraping around for extra itty bitty fries. A staffer, who might be a manager responded to a question saying the pork and fries is their #1 seller. Might be...its a worthy sandwich as are so many others at Earl's.

Then today I walked the other direction to Bayou Bakery...so NOT Clarendon and so Courthouse..ish. Spicy gumbo with delicious sausage...and a creole pilgrim sandwich--> turkey, arugula, dijon mustard, gouda on a wonderful crusty roll.

Damn that area is sandwich heaven.

No. Seriously. It is going to hell. The end is nigh.

Agreed this doesn't bode well for Arlington and, heck, NoVa for that matter. But, in the new spot's defense (no, I won't be going), it does sound highly entertaining. Any place that, in their own words, promises to "boldly redefine" (like Star Trek?!?!) and bring "wit and irreverent charm" (not to be confused with the more common 'irreverent wit and charm') should at least be good for entertainment. In fact, free of charge, some of the comments beneath the newsflash are absolutely good for laughs. Finally, how soon we forget. As sad a sign as this is, it could be worse.

Since this thread is popping back up, I'll have to remind everyone of the treasure we have in Earl's. I think the original in Clarendon is still running on all cylinders, even with the second location in Ballston. In fact, we just went for lunch today, I had the fish and fries sandwich while Mrs. Viking had the crabcake, both are consistently good.

I had the pork and fries at Earl's the other day. What a wonderful sandwich. After devouring it I was scraping around for extra itty bitty fries. A staffer, who might be a manager responded to a question saying the pork and fries is their #1 seller. Might be...its a worthy sandwich as are so many others at Earl's.

Damn that area is sandwich heaven.

You know, they often call me Speedo - not because I wear one (thank the merciful Lord) - but - and I can't reconcile this - my real name is Mr. Earl.

By the way, and not making an attempt to hijack this thread, more than a "few" years ago, I was irked when a wine bar by the name of "Tallula" opened up at Whitey's after it was forced to close due to a fire! :wacko:

Don move as needed. [:)]

Whitey's closed because they lost their liquor license after years of angering the neighbors with unruly customers. There was never a fire. Had Calvin Seville been a smarter owner he never would have opened the second side which was never a part of the original Whiteys. he did open it, added too much additional space that never really filled up. The neighborhood for the most part did not care for Whiteys, they banded together and spoke out at his license renewal and he lost.

The closing of Whitey's was a blow to its many customers over the years, but Josh is right -- the neighborhood ceased to tolerate the drunken brawls and other bad behavior of some of the patrons and the liquor license was withdrawn -- just as simple as that. Not wishing to sound like a snob, I will nevertheless suggest that Tallula was a plus-up for the neighborhood.

It will be interesting to see how this impacts the dining options in Clarendon.

Assessments for Clarendon Restaurants Skyrocket

I personally have not had much luck challenging my property assessments.

Those increases are huge jumps.  They are property tax assessments.  I'd bet in every case or almost every case the lease reads that the tenant (the restaurants or retail tenants) pay their proportionate share  (however proportionate share is defined) of the increase.  Those could be big big add ons to the tenants, the restaurants.

Meanwhile the rents have skyrocketed especially this last decade.  It means the building values have skyrocketed.  That means the assessments have skyrocketed.

By example if Spider Kelly's has to absorb all that cost increase from the article it means over $2,000/month in extra new costs.   And that is a lot of beer.

Life aint easy...

Hopefully this will not tip the scales to where only national chains can afford to operate in Clarendon.  It is halfway there already.......

That's right - it is about halfway there, and this will tip that scale. Ironically, I'm not convinced the people who live in Clarendon *want* national chains; they want places like Liberty Tavern and Spider Kelly's - the question is: will they be able to tell the difference between those places, and places like Buffalo Wild Wings and Logan's Roadhouse? If I were renting in Clarendon, I'd be long gone - this is Virginia's 14 UP, or perhaps even beyond that. This is truly a unique place: the smallest county in the country, proximity to DC, a Metro stop, education level, incomes, and youth of its residents.

I will be curious to see if this has an impact on an area like Ballston.  My thought being - Ballston (and it's terrible mall) have long been a second thought to Clarendon in terms of development.  Yet recently, we've seen NRG put Rustico there and Isabella is putting a Kapnos.  With what I'd imagine being cheaper rents does it become more of a draw - with the potential to be more so if they ever get it together and redevelop that mall.

I will be curious to see if this has an impact on an area like Ballston.  My thought being - Ballston (and it's terrible mall) have long been a second thought to Clarendon in terms of development.  Yet recently, we've seen NRG put Rustico there and Isabella is putting a Kapnos.  With what I'd imagine being cheaper rents does it become more of a draw - with the potential to be more so if they ever get it together and redevelop that mall.

Look at the Glebe Road strip of Ballston - the really *bad* chains are already there (and still coming). I'd say Clarendon has more potential to spread to Courthouse and Rosslyn.

With elections coming up in Arlington quickly, I think this was a dumb move.  I will be voting on a more pro-small business candidate.  Of course anyone who lives in Arlington I would urge to comment, you can always email your county officials here.

Is it only businesses, or is it homes as well?

I actually liked that BW-3 came in to Ballston - while I love Rustico, and so many other local places, sometimes you just want a sports bar and a bunch of wings. World of Beer is also a chain but I've appreciated their beer selection (their food, on the other hand...).

Don't forget also there's a very large development going on right next to Ballston mall. And if I remember correctly, there's a rehabilitation project in the works for the mall itself.

Clarendon is overpriced, particularly for the crowd it currently attracts, IMHO. I'm a bit disappointed that I'll need to move in a year from my current place, since I'm about halfway between Ballston and the growing Columbia Pike area, but it'll be interesting how the county keeping affordable housing between the Col. Pike boom and Ballston restoration will affect that area.

On the other hand, with Clarendon, since it is that thread: I'd hate to see more national chains there, especially bad ones (like American Taproom, which I can't stand). But property values are up everywhere, it seems, in the county, so perhaps it needs a bit of the pressure there to force people out to other parts of the county. (The Metro line property values are why a number of my friends left their EFC condos/townhouses; one couple moved to Falls Church, one to Annapolis, one to Del Rey and my brother and sister-in-law to south Arlington, where they could actually afford a yard.)

Arlington County has to make up for its suggested budget shortfall that is on the books I believe for 2015. I feel for the owners as I do know several of them that have been hit pretty hard, I am talking to you Nick Freshman. But as I have always felt that owners who are a part of the community and as well good business people most likely saw this coming, eventually.

As for Ballston, its vacancy rate within the commercial area is alarmingly high and something that I think scares potential restaurants away, but people like Taylor Gourmet and Mike Isabella will make a run at it, and most likely succeed with flying colors.

Now, if only the County could get the strip mall disasters along lee highway up to speed........

But the fact that they had such a large percentage of a raise in one year, I think that shows there is something not right going on.  83% really?  And we have a so called budget deficit, although then we have a surplus, and we have some ludicrous spending projects.  And if you read the article it appears they seem to think they may have screwed up, but aren't going to own up to it except in the case of an appeal, but I think this is where you step in and say maybe we made a mistake.  You can't just arbitrarily raise property taxes by huge percentages because you want to make some funds, that just is not good business and makes the county look like a joke.

I agree, but who is going to stop them. Maybe that's why Zimmerman got out along with his side projects. Think about that 1 million dollar bus stop on Columbia Pike or the endless amounts of dollars that continually keep going into researching Trolly cars on the Pike. Or an aquatics center that seemingly doesn't need to be, or overcrowded schools that show no relief in sight except building an elementary school on top of a middle school.

But one does need to ask, with the assessments being so high this time around, are they actually  in fact in line with neighboring counties/cities, or is this really gouging to make up losses.

• Like 1

I agree, but who is going to stop them. Maybe that's why Zimmerman got out along with his side projects. Think about that 1 million dollar bus stop on Columbia Pike or the endless amounts of dollars that continually keep going into researching Trolly cars on the Pike. Or an aquatics center that seemingly doesn't need to be, or overcrowded schools that show no relief in sight except building an elementary school on top of a middle school.

But one does need to ask, with the assessments being so high this time around, are they actually  in fact in line with neighboring counties/cities, or is this really gouging to make up losses.

And why are some businesses taxes getting raised so much more than others?  I could see if all the properties were getting a smaller increase, but this seems like they are just randomly (or not randomly) choosing businesses to kill.