Bar/Lounge Date Recommendations?

ereidy

Palette - interesting drink menu, a few good seats for a date, but don't get stuck sitting across from each other at one of those Texas-sized bar tables

Ritz Carlton Georgetown - sit in the lobby - quiter, piano, great atmosphere

The International at the Washington Plaza - almost always empty, great design, service ranges from inobtrusive to unavailable

Hi all,

I would really appreciate any recommendations for a good bar/lounge date place.  We've done Firefly...and am looking for a place with a more modern-type decor.

Thanks!

Are you looking for a place to drink and smooch or for a place to eat and do same?

Are you looking for a place to drink and smooch or for a place to eat and do same?

Well, just to make things complicated, I'm looking for a place to drink....but order good food as the night progresses.

Shouldn't you be getting married right now or something :lol:

They could always get married at Good Guys?

I would say Gazuza is pretty loud and crowed. Being an expert on romance and bars, here are my ideas:

Chi-Chas, couches are even better than booths

ESL for happy hour, less attitude, couches

Farenheit at the Georgetown Ritz is tres chic

Wine bar at Bistro Lepic

Round Robin at the Willard for old school DC

Dragonfly is always fun but the sushi is only ok

Good luck!

If you're in Adams Morgan, Bossa is nice. Lot's of privacy upstairs. Perry's rooftop is nice, not cozy though but still great views on a nice night. On U St. Local 16 or Chi Cha is fun. The bar at the Tabard Inn was good if it's still open(don't know for sure). ESL is good for early or late. Drinks at Dragonfly are nice on weeknights. I'm drawing a blank here, there's many more I can't think of.

Being an expert on romance and bars, here are my ideas:

Being an expert on neither, I'll say the upstairs lounge at the Tabard Inn. Grab a couch and have some wine... order food later.

Or maybe hit Cashion's bar, then move to an outside table there for food?

Want to throw two cents for Bistro Lepic that provided many opportunities to smooch and impress. Very grown up and has the whole French wine bar thing going on. Plus it is sort of off the beaten path, so a date tends to be impressed when you come up with this (seemingly impromptu) idea.

If it's modern decor your after, check out Oya, by far one of the coolest interiors in the city. That is, if you can afford the exorbitantly priced cocktails... maybe splurge on one and then stick with beer.

I'd also ditto the previous recs of Palette, Bossa and Helix.

When is said date?

Round Robin at the Willard for old school DC

The Round Robin sucks. It is a cramped space with nothing alluring about it, and not nearly as old school cool as the Town and Country at the Mayflower or Off the Record at the Hay Adams.

the one caution about the upstairs bar at bossa is the timing. it does not open until 9:30 unless there is a special event. bossa does however offer the option of live music and dancing depending on what night of the week.

the line-up, in case anyone is curious:

sunday - kindred soul - straight ahead and modern jazz (great band, go for the horns; the band leader plays three different ones)

monday - improviso - modern jazz (good for background music on a date but can be loud)

tuesday - patrick desantos project (brazillian pop, jazz standards, and salsa in blender; singer has unbelievable range)

wednesday - mojica (jazz with a strong latin influence; good dancing on this evening)

thursday - touch accoustra (modern jazz band that has a strong following of musicians who will frequently sit in w/ the band. great time if you are really into the music, but not so much for the talking getting to know each other)

friday upstairs - kung fu grip (acid funk as the band aptly describes themselves, good date environment for a friday night in adams morgan)

friday downstairs - doble cara (salsa and samba, great band but it can get very crowded)

saturday upstairs - nayas (the lovechild of ska, reggae, and latin pop. a tremendously fun band, but it can be extremely crowded and very hot)

saturday downstairs - cubano groove (one of my favorite salsa bands in the city. very crowded, very hot, very fun though)

in the the interest of full disclosure, i was the general manager there for over a year and i remain a frequent guest, but i believe the evaluations of the bands and each night are fair and balanced (not in a fox news sort of way).

the one caution about the upstairs bar at bossa is the timing. it does not open until 9:30 unless there is a special event. bossa does however offer the option of live music and dancing depending on the night of the week.

the line-up, in case anyone is curious:

sunday - kindred soul - straight ahead and modern jazz (great band, go for the horns; the band leader plays three different ones)

monday - improviso - modern jazz (good for background music on a date but can be loud)

tuesday - patrick desantos project (brazillian pop, jazz standards, and salsa in blender; singer has unbelievable range)

wednesday - mojica (jazz with a strong latin influence; good dancing on this evening)

thursday - touch accoustra (modern jazz band that has a strong following of musicians who will frequently sit in w/ the band. great time if you are really into the music, but not so much for the talking getting to know each other)

friday upstairs - kung fu grip (acid funk as the band aptly describes themselves, good date environment for a friday night in adams morgan)

friday downstairs - doble cara (salsa and samba, great band but it can get very crowded)

saturday upstairs - nayas (the lovechild of ska, reggae, and latin pop. a tremendously fun band, but it can be extremely crowded and very hot)

saturday downstairs - cubano groove (one of my favorite salsa bands in the city. very crowded, very hot, very fun though)

in the the interest of full disclosure, i was the general manager there for over a year and i remain a frequent guest, but i believe the evaluations of the bands and each night are fair and balanced (not in a fox news sort of way).

Hey guys, posting again about this date place. Went to Mon Ami Gaby in Bethesda on a real first date. Service was quick and responsive, I ordered mussles with white wine sauce and the cheese plate, she the steak and frites. 2002 Bordeaux to match her steak since I couldn't agree on a Burgundy. The place is huge inside and we didn't feel rushed through the meal. Great decision after some input from friends.

Some other places they reccomended in Bethesda:

-Divino Lounge, argentine meat place on Wisconsin av and East-West Highway (going towards downtown), in front of the hotel.

-Levante's

-Olazzo if you don't mind crowded seating.

Hey guys, posting again about this date place.  Went to Mon Ami Gaby in Bethesda on a real first date.  Service was quick and responsive, I ordered mussles with white wine sauce and the cheese plate, she the steak and frites.  2002 Bordeaux to match her steak since I couldn't agree on a Burgundy.  The place is huge inside and we didn't feel rushed through the meal.  Great decision after some input from friends.

Glad you had a good experience. I went there for a weekday lunch and had a really terrible crepe and only mediocre service. But that was about a year ago, so maybe they've shaped up since then.

Oya has updated the cocktail menu since the place first opened. I was there last Friday and was pleasantly surprised. It's still expensive, yes, but I found the options much more appealing. Previously most (IMO) had an ick factor.

If it's modern decor your after, check out Oya, by far one of the coolest interiors in the city. That is, if you can afford the exorbitantly priced cocktails... maybe splurge on one and then stick with beer.

I'm having trouble understanding why Mon Ami Gaby on that awfully corporate, wannabee Rodeo Drive portion of Bethesda Avenue would be a place to go on a date.

That place is like Corner Bakery with booze.

I'd say the wine bar at Grape Seed or Jaleo before I'd say that place...

I'm having trouble understanding why Mon Ami Gaby on that awfully corporate, wannabee Rodeo Drive portion of Bethesda Avenue would be a place to go on a date. 

That place is like Corner Bakery with booze.

I'd say the wine bar at Grape Seed or Jaleo before I'd say that place...

wine bar at grapeseed, while i think it quite nice for the fourth date, lacks the privacy/intamacy i would want for a first date. every time that i have been to the bar there i have found myself engaged in conversation with the people next to me due to the limited room at the bar. it has always been pleasant, but on a first date i want to talk to the person with me.

p.s. after one visit, the only good thing i can say about mon ami gabi is...

wait it'll come to me in a minute.

Hi all,

I would really appreciate any recommendations for a good bar/lounge date place.  We've done Firefly...and am looking for a place with a more modern-type decor.

Thanks!

For something old school, you might like the Lounge at the Jefferson Hotel on 16th. A few blocks north is the Bar Rouge, which can be excellent if you like small plates.

More important, IMO, than the setting is the company. I have had great dates in unexpected venues including the bar at Sette (it was crowded, but I guess we didn't notice at the time) and grungy Chief Ike's.

But I digress...I'd recommend avoiding Cafe Saint Ex, Local 16 and Chi Cha on weekends. They are relentlessly packed and personally, I don't find that at all conducive to getting to know some one. Gazuza (Dupont) is pretty similar; I only recommend it on a quiet week night.

Instead I like:

Mantis (Adams Morgan) if you frequent the ground floor lounge and arrive early enough to get a little table or space at the bar.

The bar at Penang is sometimes nice for a quiet chat. I also like the bar at Ceiba a lot.

Bardeo (Cleveland Park) is great for dates.

i would opt for a place with clean sight lines, easy paths to the exit, and lights that are too bright, and a slightly noisy dinning room. BDC comes to mind.

i would of course need to get a date, have a relationship, and take my usual two weeks to screw it up before i would have any use for such a place.

lot's of great reccomendations for first date places, but where would you go for a last date?  in other words, what is the best restaurant for a break-up?

I would think that Rays the Steaks would be the best spot for a break-up. If it goes really bad, at least you will be out of there in 90 minutes! :P:wub:

Sonoma has a pretty cool lounge upstairs. During the week, it looked pretty dead when I was up there, but I'm sure it's happening on the weekend. There are modern couches, a fireplace, huge windows and a bar-- what more do you need? I think a nice first date could be dinner downstairs followed by drinks upstairs.

Actually, I DID have a thing for Chachi too.  :P

I am sure that this comes as no surprise to anyone here! :lol:

And to keep this on topic, what is the downstairs place with pool tables near Dino? Stopped in there one time for a beer and it was 1000 degrees in there. Needless to say, we left before getting anything.

And to keep this on topic, what is the downstairs place with pool tables near Dino?  Stopped in there one time for a beer and it was 1000 degrees in there.  Needless to say, we left before getting anything.

Atomic Billiards. Fine if you're jonesing for pool and you have no other choice, but too smoky and dodgy for date suitability.