Galileo: The Lunch Grill: Keep Abreast of Roberto's Loin/Meatballs - Purloined.

The lunch grill is getting extremely popular. Hillvalley and I got there roughly at 11:50 and the line was already out the door of the Laboratorio. By the time we made the turn, the end of the line was near the front door and the staff was in the process of reorienting the line so that it went towards the patio, instead of through the middle of the restaurant. When we went out to the patio to eat our pork shoulder sandwiches (mine with red and green sauce and provolone) the line was out the back door and people were still arriving. When we left, Squids was at the back of the line. I hope there was some food left by the time she got to the counter.

Morel of the story: from now on get there before they open .

Edited to add: Despite the long line, Chef Donna was there doing his thing and the quality of the lunch has not declined.

Edited by Jacques Gastreaux

My thanks to Jacques for guiding me through my first Grill experience. We are eating well these days, aren't we ;)

My pork shoulder with rapini lived up to every expectation I had. The only thing I would add that hasn't been said is beware of the garlic. It's been two hours since lunch and I can still taste the garlic. Thanks goodness I don't have a date tonight :lol:

I finally had a chance to go today and ordered ahead of time. I arrived with my wife at around 11:30 and the kitchen was already bringing out the pre-orders. I'd probably eaten and passed you all on my way out. I had the pork shoulder with peppers and onions and broccoli rabe, but I have to say that they got our order completely wrong. I didn't ask for the peppers and onions, but I was glad they made that mistake because they added a lot of flavor to the sandwich. They also left out my bread and put everything on Amy's hot dog (which she only wanted ketchup -- boring I know, but she HATES mustard and relish). I think if I were to go again, I wouldn't order ahead. I'd say that the sandwich lived up to everyone's praises.

I think that one of the reasons it might have been so crowded today is because it was Friday.

Hillvalley, you're 100% correct about the garlic -- my wife was complaining that a stank of garlic for the rest of the day.

The lunch grill is getting extremely popular.  Hillvalley and I got there roughly at 11:50 and the line was already out the door of the Laboratorio.  By the time we made the turn, the end of the line was near the front door and the staff was in the process of reorienting the line so that it went towards the patio, instead of through the middle of the restaurant.  When we went out to the patio to eat our pork shoulder sandwiches (mine with red and green sauce and provolone) the line was out the back door and people were still arriving.  When we left, Squids was at  the back of the line.  I hope there was some food left by the time she got to the counter.

Morel of the story: from now on get there before they open .

Edited to add:  Despite the long line, Chef Donna was there doing his thing and the quality of the lunch has not declined.

Yes, even tho' the line was long, we probably only spent 20 minutes (which flew by) waiting. By the time we got our food, the line was quite short as they had cut it off. That would be the worst...standing there in line, smelling the wonderful aromas...garlic...chargrill...bread...and then having to leave because they ran out of food! :lol: (I've been there when they've run out of cannoli before, but fortunately

today I got two--one for me, and one for my coworker (it was his bday today)

Oh BTW, I've been there on grey, rainy days when no one was in line and spoke with the Chef, and he showed me the whole pork, pre-sliced. Indeed the garlic is embedded (love that word!) all throughout--as well it should be ;)

Edited by squidsdc

Just got back from the grill and finished scarfing down a pork shoulder sandwich. Whoever mentioned the addition of more garlic is absolutely right, I am nervous to talk with any coworkers now. Has anyone noticed that they changed the bread? It was a notably softer roll from the last time I had the sandwich

Edited by alan7147

Just got back from the grill and finished scarfing down a pork loin sandwich. Whoever mentioned the addition of more garlic is absolutely right, I am nervous to talk with any coworkers now.  Has anyone noticed that they changed the bread? It was a notably softer roll from the last time I had the sandwich

Is the pork sandwich made from loin or shoulder? I thought it was shoulder.

CF, I have to apologize for laughing at the sandwich switcheroo story! Can't remember who else mentioned mis filled orders when ordering ahead. I guess when you're on the fly, you gotta take your chances.

Twas me. I didn't get the completely wrong thing though. They just put toppings on my pork shoulder sandwich and Amy's hot dog that weren't ordered.

:P

For the record, I just called Galileo to see if the Grill was going on today. They informed me that Chef Donna is out of town, and the Grill will be cold until he returns. (it could be two weeks) I am soooo craving the Grill. Sad day. Very sad day.

Just doing my civic duty.

Nancy

I ate at the Grill today and yesterday! Well, picked up from the Grill...

Yesterday, I had the chicken sandwich fully dressed. Uhmmm I don't love garlic and let's just say I reaked for the rest of the day. My friend had the pork sandwich and it was love. BUT the chicken was so perfect that today I went back and had an undressed chicken sandwich. Oh, actually I had them add ketchup so I could taste it since I don't eat pork or beef. YUMMMMMMMMMMMMMM.

Observation: if you order ahead I don't think they like it so much if you go back to the grill and tell them it was not done as ordered. I don't know if the irritation was real or pretend, but the people behind the grill seemed a bit put off at having to correct the order.

Nancy

eta for spelling!!

Edited by NCPinDC

I ate at the Grill today and yesterday!  Well, picked up from the Grill...

Yesterday, I had the chicken sandwich fully dressed.  Uhmmm I don't love garlic and let's just say I wreaked (sp?) for the rest of the day.  My friend had the pork sandwich and it was love.  BUT the chicken was so perfect that today I went back and had an undressed chicken sandwich.  Oh, actually I had them add ketchup so I could taste it since I don't eat pork or beef.  YUMMMMMMMMMMMMMM. 

Observation: if you order ahead I don't think they like it so much if you go back to the grill and tell them it was not done as ordered.    I don't know if the irritation was real or pretend, but the people behind the grill seemed a bit put off at having to correct the order. 

Nancy

that grill is a pretty high stress operation for the staff.

Does anyone know if it's on this week? I've been trying to get on the list for about two weeks now, but haven't made it yet. Also, is the menu always the same as the one at the beginning of this topic? Thanks for the help. My office is just around the corner, and I hate having the tasty lunch just out of my reach...

Does anyone know if it's on this week?  I've been trying to get on the list for about two weeks now, but haven't made it yet.  Also, is the menu always the same as the one at the beginning of this topic?  Thanks for the help.  My office is just around the corner, and I hate having the tasty lunch just out of my reach...

Roberto Donna is out of the country and I don't expect the grill to be back up and running unitl he returns. [When, I don't know.]

Can't help you, I'm in a post-shoulder coma.

Verdict: tasty and delicious, frickin' huge, the best bites were the first and last. Next time I might try the chicken so I can better taste the green sauce, which was my favorite part. Those sausages looked damn good too.

Can't help you, I'm in a post-shoulder coma.

Verdict: tasty and delicious, frickin' huge, the best bites were the first and last. Next time I might try the chicken so I can better taste the green sauce, which was my favorite part. Those sausages looked damn good too.

If you've never tried the hot dog, give it a whirl. The homemade mustard and ketchup are refreshingly mild and Roberto-oh-my-loins puts bits of real bacon in his saurkraut. It's less of a meal than the pork loin or meatball, but you'll be able to actually walk out of the restaurant at a moderate pace and even stay awake in your flourescent-lit cube for the rest of the afternoon.

Oh my!

That green stuff on the pork shoulder is amazing. I'm still tasting garlic even with an acid blocker...

I thought there was a tad too much meat on there though. It was hard to get the right balance of meat, green stuff and provolone in each bite.

Cannolli (sp?) was terrific.

Everything was great but a bit too rich. I can't remember the last time I had that much food at lunch.

But I'll be back. I want to try one of those hot dogs!

Oh my!

That green stuff on the pork shoulder is amazing.  I'm still tasting garlic even with an acid blocker...

I thought there was a tad too much meat on there though.  It was hard to get the right balance of meat, green stuff and provolone in each bite.

Cannolli (sp?) was terrific.

Everything was great but a bit too rich.  I can't remember the last time I had that much food at lunch. 

But I'll be back.  I want to try one of those hot dogs!

The green sauce is incredible. I'm still floored that Chef Donna stands right there and makes your sandwich. Unreal.

The grill is off this week, BTW, presumably for Resto Week.

[This is a fine example of the triple-spacing problem. Rocks. *(#&$)(*@#$&]

Edited by DonRocks

The Grill is open Wednesday and Thursday...

(And darn if I don't have a lunch meeting at Bobby Van's on Wednesday...Sigh...)

Also, there was the following important info in Galileo's email today about the grill:

"Please note: the grill will be on a brief hiatus for at least 2 weeks and will probably open again around August 31st. We will e-mail you the week of August 29th with an update. We hope to see you this week!"

I hope it's cool enough during those two weeks to make the trek to Breadline. Have they invented Air-Conditioned Segways yet?

The hot dog was a little dry but delicious with the sauerkraut and homemade condiments. Probably will hit it with a little extra ketchup next time.

The cannoli were to die for. Didn't realize they were chocolate on one side and cream (with cherry something?) on the other. Totally worth the calories.

Boyfriend agreed that going back tomorrow, considering the upcoming hiatus, sounds pretty necessary.

The hot dog was a little dry but delicious with the sauerkraut and homemade condiments. Probably will hit it with a little extra ketchup next time.

The cannoli were to die for. Didn't realize they were chocolate on one side and cream (with cherry something?) on the other. Totally worth the calories.

Boyfriend agreed that going back tomorrow, considering the upcoming hiatus, sounds pretty necessary.

We went at 12:30 today and there were only five people in line in front of us. Hot Dog was great, but could've used a little more ketchup. My friend's chicken was overdone and a smaller portion of meat than usual. Still, where else are you going to get a sandwich like this for $5?

Eureka! I have found the Italian sausage. Rich, balanced, moist, flavorful. Knocks the hot dog out of the park, for me.

Got a bite of someone else's meatball with provolone and MAN is that good cheese.

How are we supposed to wait until September for more?

Jael

And boy was it crowded today. I got there shortly afternoon and the line was nearly out the back door. A few minutes later, it was out the back door and getting longer. Got a chance to say Happy Birthday to mt (is this screen-name change just for the birthday?) on the back deck. The meatball sub was as good as usual.