Galileo: The Lunch Grill: Keep Abreast of Roberto's Loin/Meatballs - Purloined.

Wednesday and Thursday this week. I can't imagine sitting outside on the Galileo patio in this weather.
But don't they have the indoor seating for foul/inclement weather? Or are you just trying to dissuade the masses so you won't have to stand in line as long! :)

Actually, it's not the patio that's the problem, it's the walk of several blocks in this weather that could be the kicker...

But don't they have the indoor seating for foul/inclement weather? Or are you just trying to dissuade the masses so you won't have to stand in line as long! :)

Actually, it's not the patio that's the problem, it's the walk of several blocks in this weather that could be the kicker...

You're right. There is inside seating (albeit more limited) but the walk from 17th St. is the more dauting challenge.

The walk was the first thing that came to mind for me as well. ( I am at 17 & I) I may be hitting Kaz as it is only a block away! Maybe Donna should advertitse cold soup and sandwiches. It is generally pretty hot in the grill! I keep meaning to bring him a slurpee to cool him down :)
Are we a bunch of pussys, or what?

The hotdog was not on the menu this week

:) Donna say it is not so!!!

Edited 8/9

Looks like there are new AC units in the grill (thank god). But, they came with a price, the power consumption was more than the ovens could handle, so Donna now has one type of bread (a new roll) and not the 4 different ones he had before. Also missing from the menu is the Italion bread (however, he did give some one two of the new plain rolls when asked for the bread to go with his soup). Everything else is the same.

Donna assured me that the dog will return one day, and with a wink, asked me to visit him in Crystal City. The lines today were short, the food as good as ever.

Donna,

Thank you for what I personally feel is the best dog in the city, as a man of your word, I await its return!

It's open Wednesday and Thursday of this week.

Quick and dirty: No hot dog, no pizza. Today's pork was overdone, the roll is hard, not as tasty, smaller, and the sandwich is harder to eat. Today was a miss :)

I actually preferred the new bread-- it's a bit more rustic and crusty than previously. The size is a bit smaller, but it's still a very generous sandwich.

I agree, I had the new roll with the Pork Sausage, kraut, mustard, broclirobi....as tastey, if not better than ever. I actually finished the whole sandwich today.

I actually preferred the new bread-- it's a bit more rustic and crusty than previously. The size is a bit smaller, but it's still a very generous sandwich.

I agree, I had the new roll with the Pork Sausage, kraut, mustard, broclirobi....as tastey, if not better than ever. I actually finished the whole sandwich today.

I liked the old bread because you could bite through it without cutting the crap out of the inside of your mouth. The new bread is basically a large dinner roll, the kind with the charred and tough crust with the slightly gummy crumb. Maybe the one I had was sitting too close to the falmes, but it was a little on the rough side of rustic.

I did like that there was less of the onion/pepper mix on it, which made it a little less greasy.

I did like that there was less of the onion/pepper mix on it, which made it a little less greasy.
To each their own I guess. I was going to suggest that in addition to the regular optional condiments that one should be able to ask for extra onion/peper mix or extra green sauce.

Last time I went I got the chicken and wished I had some extra something. So today I had the chicken with BBQ sauce, which I didn't particulary like and wished I had more onions/peppers and green sauce. Maybe I'll remember to ask next time, if there is a next time before the restaurant packs up for Crystal City.

Also, I thought today's bread was still good, but liked the old bread better.

Wednesday and Thursday this week

For what it's worth (considering they close on what, saturday?), looks like they're experimenting with yet another new bread this week again. Contrary to last weeks (which was an artisan bread, very open crumb with hard crust), this one is much more sandwich-friendly, resembling a kaiser roll, and thus able to contain all/most of the sauce from a pork shoulder + mustard. I think I even prefer this bread to any of the previous ones...it's better sandwich material than last week's, and it's less greasy than the one from circa 1 month ago.

Get your fix while you can.

For what it's worth (considering they close on what, saturday?), looks like they're experimenting with yet another new bread this week again. Contrary to last weeks (which was an artisan bread, very open crumb with hard crust), this one is much more sandwich-friendly, resembling a kaiser roll, and thus able to contain all/most of the sauce from a pork shoulder + mustard. I think I even prefer this bread to any of the previous ones...it's better sandwich material than last week's, and it's less greasy than the one from circa 1 month ago.

Get your fix while you can.

I haven't had a problem with any of the bread variations I've had from the Grill (the original one was a bit too greasy, though). I was surprised today that instead of green sauce there was mustard pre-applied to the pork shoulder bread. Didn't like it nearly as much as the green sauce..

I haven't had a problem with any of the bread variations I've had from the Grill (the original one was a bit too greasy, though). I was surprised today that instead of green sauce there was mustard pre-applied to the pork shoulder bread. Didn't like it nearly as much as the green sauce..

You have to think that Roberto may be experimenting with some things that would lend themselves to the new restaurant (different kitchen, suppliers, customers, price point, etc.).

If someone would please go tomorrow, and buy me a pork shoulder sandwich with the works and freeze it for me in an airtight plastic bag, I'll give them $20.

Cheers,

Rocks.

I've never been to the Grill (though I have been to Galileo and the Lab a few times), as my office was up in Columbia or Baltimore for the previous 11 years. And an hour each way was more than I could really afford for lunch time. But now that I am downtown, today the stars aligned, and I had a break in my day during the open hours of the Grill.

OH.

MY.

GOD.

Pork shoulder, provolone (broccoli requested but not present), green sauce, peppers, onions - this would have been worth the 1 hour drive from Baltimore. And the cannoli...

Now it's time for a food coma. :)

Fortunately, there is a bottomless coffee urn in the lobby at work. Fortunate because I was able to partially caffeine-resuscitate myself before eating the cannoli I carefully toted back from today’s lunch. It was still touch & go, but I survived the bolus of sugar and crispy shell without falling off the Glasgow Coma Scale. Don’t know what would have happened if I started with the Chocolate Hazelnut (w/Mini-Jimmies) instead of the safer Cherry Pistachio side…

It was a great lunch made even better by sitting with some familiar faces in the back patio. Hope this wasn’t the last grill, but really glad I made it if it was.

I've never been to the Grill (though I have been to Galileo and the Lab a few times), as my office was up in Columbia or Baltimore for the previous 11 years. And an hour each way was more than I could really afford for lunch time. But now that I am downtown, today the stars aligned, and I had a break in my day during the open hours of the Grill.

OH.

MY.

GOD.

Pork shoulder, provolone (broccoli requested but not present), green sauce, peppers, onions - this would have been worth the 1 hour drive from Baltimore. And the cannoli...

Now it's time for a food coma. :)

Today's dilemma: scheduled to play racquetball at 12:15 (near impossible with a pork shoulder in my belly) and not enough time after racquetball to still make it to the grill.

Solution: go buy sandwich at 11:50, head back to office, deposit in fridge, go play racquetball, return. Microwave the pork, throw the top and bottom roll on the foreman grill. When both have been rejuvinated, unite, and eat.

Verdict: not as good as it is when fresh, but a damn fine approximation.

Oh, and I heard Roberto say that the bread this week was purchased, not baked on the premises. Experimentation, but not in the kitchen...maybe trying to find a good supplier for when he may not have the facility that can bake bread anymore? Anybody know if the new space has a smaller kitchen?

I walked over to the Grill yesterday for what I suspected could be my last lunch there. Well, I should have known better than to arrive at 1 pm. The grill was closed! Imagine my disappointment. Happily, the lovely hostess informed me that the Grill will be open next week. I didn't catch exactly what days, but I believe she mentioned Friday. I won't make the same mistake again - I'll leave at 11 am this time.

I walked over to the Grill yesterday for what I suspected could be my last lunch there. Well, I should have known better than to arrive at 1 pm. The grill was closed! Imagine my disappointment. Happily, the lovely hostess informed me that the Grill will be open next week. I didn't catch exactly what days, but I believe she mentioned Friday. I won't make the same mistake again - I'll leave at 11 am this time.

And they were out of the good bread by 12:30 - I snuck in at 12:25 and I noticed that they were switching to slices of the house loaf just a few diners after me...

(considering they close on what, saturday?)

Apparently I just pulled that date out of my ass (no idea where I thought I heard Sept 2, but I definitely thought that was it). The grill is indeed open tomorrow and friday. All's well that ends...with a pork shoulder sandwich.

i told my wife to be careful of gw students pickin' up her trail on the way over there or they'll clean out the place even before they get the chance to close the door. (look what's happenin' where they had the birthin' hospital.) she says she hasn't been over, but i know she could find her way there by now with her eyes half shut. plus she stopped complainin' about her ankles swellin' up some time ago and she's been stashin' extras in the fridge, but i've been runnin' off with them faster than she can notice.

Total sadness....

Donna confirmed that this is THE LAST WEEK for the grill. I plan on taking some pictures tomorrow to mark this sad occasion. Perhaps I can ask him to prepare some hotdogs sometime in the future to remind us of the grill of yesteryear.

The line was nonexistance at 12 PM. The food is great, I like the bread! The only weird thing is my Connolly was not filled all the way up, instead the was a hollow spot (maybe about a third) in the middle without any filling. Have to buy another one tomorrow to see if they have change the way they serve them.

Rocks, I bought you a extra sandwich, but some crazy PC Cult member grab it and ran away :) . Probably would have spoiled and I would have eated it before I got it to you anyhow, but anyhow its the thought that matters...right????

Got there at 12:15, line almost all the way to the host stand, but it was less than 10 minutes before I was sitting with my roll stuffed full of porcine goodness. There were definitely a lot of GW students in the line.

Got the broccoli rabe this time (ordered it last time, but didn't get it.) Very garlicky, but really makes a difference on the sandwich. So does asking Chef Donna to make sure there's some good fatty crispy bits in the mix. Mmmmmmm.

My cannoli also had a hole in the middle - probably sloppy piping, rather than a volume conspiracy.

I couldn't drag any colleagues with me today, so I'll probably try to go again tomorrow, last day and all. Maybe I'll even have to break away from the pork shoulder?

I just wonder why people insist on standing between the portable air conditioner and the counter. The most pathetic part it appeared that several of these dolts could not comprehend that this same spot was also the exit.

I am happy I made it one last time. The pork shoulder and meatball sub were as good as ever.

I just wonder why people insist on standing between the portable air conditioner and the counter. The most pathetic part it appeared that several of these dolts could not comprehend that this same spot was also the exit.

I am happy I made it one last time. The pork shoulder and meatball sub were as good as ever.

The same damn dolts were there today and frigging clueless as ever.

I'm glad I went though I went primarily for the canneloni and there was none left by 12:20!!!!

The pork shoulder was as good as ever but I didn't care much for whatever bread they used.

I hope he resumes in the new location--it's very easy for me to run over to Crystal City at lunch.

I noticed a real difference in the pull pork sandwich last week. Either the green sauce of the onions/ peppers/ kraut had a added spice. I really enjoyed it. LOL, should we worry that we will be getting leftovers and remains from the inventory they are taking this week? In any event I will be there both days!

I didn't make it yesterday (and can't today), but the news from a co-worker wasn't great: cold sandwich, bread wasn't up to par. He said that Roberto wasn't at hand either (he could have just been away for the time that he was in line, though).

I didn't make it yesterday (and can't today), but the news from a co-worker wasn't great: cold sandwich, bread wasn't up to par. He said that Roberto wasn't at hand either (he could have just been away for the time that he was in line, though).

Probably just away briefly...he was there both yesterday and today when I was there. The bread this week wasn't as good as last weeks, but still not bad. And my pork shoulder was plenty warm both times (although today an officemate reported the meatball sandwich could've been hotter). Another possible factor: I went early both times, around 11:50-12.

Whoa. The Grill is dead... long live the Grill. From a Bebo Email:

Grill Sandwiches now available for DELIVERY on Monday, Wednesdays and Fridays. Every week!

If you work in downtown DC and can't make it to Crystal City, or even if you work in Crystal City and don't want to leave your office, let us bring lunch to you!

Now you can order Bebo's delicious Panini sandwiches for delivery to your office on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays. All delivery orders must be a minimum of $50 (not including tax or gratuity).

To place your order, please fax this form to us at 703-412-5079 before 11:00 a.m. on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays.

Please note, Panini sandwiches may also be enjoyed at Bebo Trattoria Monday-Friday and can be ordered at the table or for carry out.

Prices are not quite as wonderful as they once were (base of $6.25 for most sandwiches and an extra $1.50 for the provolone or broccoli rabe) but if you absolutely must have your green sauce fix, get a couple friends together and it's yours.

Haha! A bunch of us use to drive into DC to get sandwiches and the line was always quite serious. Looking at all the expensive sandwiches places now, Chef Donna was quite prescient in terms of how much people would pay for quality regardless of the transaction issues. 

Just now, lion said:

Haha! A bunch of us use to drive into DC to get sandwiches and the line was always quite serious. Looking at all the expensive sandwiches places now, Chef Donna was quite prescient in terms of how much people would pay for quality regardless of the transaction issues. 

Not just how much, but *how* - cash bucket only!