Galileo: The Lunch Grill: Keep Abreast of Roberto's Loin/Meatballs - Purloined.

From Frommer's budget travel magazine:

"The Best Cannoli on the East Coast. One of the most upscale restaurants in town, Galileo, has a bargain lunch in the lounge. If you see the charcoal grill out front, it means that they're grilling sandwiches in the back. The best is the pork sandwich. It's $5 for a huge one with a green sauce and fried onions. Also, they have the best cannoli on the East Coast for $2.50. You'll see limousines sitting outside waiting for someone who's gone in to get his lunch."

Edited by alan7147

"The Best Cannoli on the East Coast. One of the most upscale restaurants in town, Galileo, has a bargain lunch in the lounge. If you see the charcoal grill out front, it means that they're grilling sandwiches in the back. The best is the pork sandwich. It's $5 for a huge one with a green sauce and fried onions. Also, they have the best cannoli on the East Coast for $2.50 (price is $3 now - LooLoo). You'll see limousines sitting outside waiting for someone who's gone in to get his lunch."

I saw that too. There were 33 "food experts" questioned about where they love to eat and over 50 cities/regions/countries were offered. Only 1 (from Phyllis Richman) mentioned DC.

"The Best Cannoli on the East Coast. One of the most upscale restaurants in town, Galileo, has a bargain lunch in the lounge. If you see the charcoal grill out front, it means that they're grilling sandwiches in the back. The best is the pork sandwich. It's $5 for a huge one with a green sauce and fried onions. Also, they have the best cannoli on the East Coast for $2.50 (price is $3 now - LooLoo). You'll see limousines sitting outside waiting for someone who's gone in to get his lunch."

I was at the grill the day Frommer's was there doing a photo shoot for this story. Did they include any of the pics?

The Grill will be open Wednesday and Thursday this week.  Dress up as Chef Donna and get half off your lunch.

Okay... so excited!!! Can't wait for Wednesday... the question is whether I should take my Mom there on Thursday in lieu of lunch at the Corcoran... hmmmmmmmm

Had a lovely lunch at the Grill today. Mr. BLB met me there and I think he enjoyed his first Grill experience.

One pork shoulder for me; grilled chicken and soup for him.

This go round the green sauce seemed to be less garlicy...Also had green peppers and onions this time. (Didn't last time and I don't think I changed how I ordered....Must watch for that. Not a big pepper fan...)

What a lovely way to spend lunchtime!

Had a lovely lunch at the Grill today.  Mr. BLB met me there and I think he enjoyed his first Grill experience.

One pork shoulder for me; grilled chicken and soup for him.

This go round the green sauce seemed to be less garlicy...Also had green peppers and onions this time.  (Didn't last time and I don't think I changed how I ordered....Must watch for that.  Not a big pepper fan...)

What a lovely way to spend lunchtime!

I had the pork shoulder today as well, and got some extra-fatty pieces that I didn't love. I just picked the fat off though, no harm no foul. I've noticed that the sauce is a little less piquant the last two days. I liked the old way, but the new way certainly isn't bad.

In re: peppers, they are already on the bread before it's loaded with meat. I've never even seen non-peppered sandwiches. I suppose you could ask them to scrape them off for you, but you might get dirty looks from the rest of us in line... :lol:

This go round the green sauce seemed to be less garlicy...Also had green peppers and onions this time.  (Didn't last time and I don't think I changed how I ordered....Must watch for that.  Not a big pepper fan...)

The peppers are standard on the pork shoulder, chicken, and sausage sandwiches. You can ask Chef Donna to leave them off, though, and he'll kindly oblige.

Wednesday and Thursday of this week.

And here is the menu. Keep in mind that the meatball sub include provolone cheese so you don't need to pay the $1 extra for it.

MENU

Homemade Hot Dogs $3.50

Grilled Chicken Sandwich $5

Pork Shoulder Sandwich $5

Pork Sausage Sandwich $5

Pork Ribs $5

Pizza with Cheese and Broccoli Rabe $5

Meatballs $6

Soup of the Day $3

Sodas and Water $1

Sweet Ricotta Cannoli $2.50

Italian Country Bread $3

Add to your sandwich:

Provolone $1

Broccoli Rabe $2

Other Sandwich Toppings:

Green Peppers and Onions

Mustard

Green Sauce

BBQ Sauce

Lettuce

Homemade Ketchup

Sauerkraut

Edited by Jacques Gastreaux

My first experience at the Grill was just dandy, despite a minor faux pas on my part in the cannoli department (Chef Donna was very gracious although he made sure everyone knew it was my first time). Chicken sandwich was excellent, and the bite of meatball sub my companion allowed me to have was tasty (although sans rasin). The cannoli was, of course, perfect. Can't wait to go back and try something else!

You sure it was a raisin?  :lol:

Seriously! I was cutting up the meatballs (skipped the bread today, too messy to eat while reading a paperback) and found something in the middle of one besides the usual little white nubbins. I thought at first it was roasted garlic, but no, closer inspection revealed a very plump little golden raisin. Not a very strong flavor.

Think it fell in?

Jael

Edited to add: Chef Donna confirmed today that "sometimes" the meatballs include raisins, so it was there on purpose.

Edited by jm chen

I seemed to be a slow day at the Grill today. I got there shortly afternoon and there were maybe three people in line in front of me and I'm used to the line snaking around and out the door. I wonder if the magic has worn off. My pork shoulder sandwich was as good a usual. I did see jm chen spooking around out on the back deck.

Edited by Jacques Gastreaux

I seemed to be a slow day at the Grill today.  I got there shortly afternoon and there were maybe three people in line in front of me and I'm used to the line snaking around and out the door.  I wonder if the magic has worn off.  My pork shoulder sandwich was as good a usual.  I did see jm chen spooking around out on the back deck.

Don't forget that today is a holiday (Jewish New Year)

--didn't you notice traffice was much lighter this morning?! At least it was in MoCo, where the schools are closed today. That means even though many people are not off to celebrate the holiday, the fact that schools are closed will keep some parents home from work.

(edited to say: *))?#! those typos and triple spacing!)

Edited by squidsdc

I seemed to be a slow day at the Grill today.  I got there shortly afternoon and there were maybe three people in line in front of me and I'm used to the line snaking around and out the door.  I wonder if the magic has worn off.  My pork shoulder sandwich was as good a usual.  I did see jm chen spooking around out on the back deck.

Thought I saw you go in as I was leaving...

Had the hotdog in honor of the start of the playoffs (Go Cards!) and wasn't wowed by it. Perfectly good hotdog, it just wasn't the right combo of flavors for me. (Please note I am considering the hot dog breakfast.)

Brought home a pork shoulder to nibble during the game--yum! (That was lunch!)

I have a cannoli in the fridge for later.

Jennifer

It was odd... the line was short around noon, but I had trouble finding a seat. Both the back deck and the back room were full to capacity.

I am becoming addicted to the pizza, although it's not as huge a bargain at $3.50 as the sandwiches are at $5. Tasty, though, if you like it thin.

Jael

The planets were perfectly aligned for my maiden voyage to the Grill - found a great parking spot around the corner, there was no line, the weather was beautiful, AND I even saw some familiar faces (jm chen & Capital Icebox).

Oh yeah, the food was delicious too :P

I opted for the pork shoulder sandwich with green sauce and broccoli rabe. What a huge sandwich! The pork was very tender, moist, tasty [edited to add] and GARLICKY, but I could only make my way through about a third of it. The rest of it should go nicely with the meatballs and sauce I got for dinner. We'll see if the cannoli lasts until dinner...

Wish I worked a little closer than Falls Church so I could enjoy the Grill's offerings on a regular basis (anybody hiring in the Galileo area :lol: ?)

Edited by goldenticket

Pizza (tasty but ice cold...) and a meatball sub.  Good, but not great.

Maybe I'm not a grill person...

I'm of the opinion that the pizza and meatball are the two weakest of the offerings, and I'll go as far as saying that the pizza really isn't that good at all :lol: . The pork shoulder, sausage, and cannoli are the stars of the show. I've narrowed my grill visits to those three items.

Pork shoulder today with broccoli rabe. Hell's yeah. Although I have noticed a heavy-handedness in the green saucing recently. They're pre-saucing the bread on BOTH sides. In the early days it was usually only sauced on one side by chef Donna and you could request your level of sauciness. However, the new assembly line technique has vastly cut down on wait times. I couldn't believe how fast it moved today. From practically out on the deck to sandwich in hand in about 15 minutes. Previously that was easily a 30-40 minute wait.

Pork Shoulder

About once every four weeks or so I'm in the greater Dupont area getting my hair done, and always looking for something new for lunch, so I was quite pleased to learn that finally I'd be around when the Grill is open. Appointment was at 10:30, so should be plenty of time after.

Around 11:30 I'm getting ansty, because although the colorist said my hair was almost done, he meant that only the first part was almost done. Fine, so long as they don't run out of pork shoulder "What's the big hurry? Do you have an appointment somewhere else?" he asks. Well, no, I explain, it's just that on certain days you can get a five buck sandwhich from Galileo... "No way! From Galileo?!" You bet! ...and they'd better not run out of pork shoulder .

It's 12:15 before anyone's free to dry my hair. "How do you want it styled today?" I don't care, so long as it's done fast. "Where do you want the part?" Anywhere. "Do you use product?" No, not usually I don't care about freakin' product! I just want a pork shoulder sandwhich!

At 12:49 I'm finally out, with seven blocks between me and pork shoulder. Jog, jog, jog...pause, jaywalk... run... I hope they don't run out of pork shoulder shortcut across plaza, fly down stairs, busy intersection, jaywalking looks good 'bout now... they'd better not run out of pork shoulder

At 12:56 walk casually into restaurant (trying to regain some dignity), quietly inquire if grill is still open. "Yes, it is!" Huzzah! "Go straight back and turn right." please let there be pork shoulder

Turn the corner and there is Chef Donna himself, and in front of him on the counter... a small pile of pork shoulder! One sandwhich, please. Five bucks in the box (well, more, as I grabbed a cannoli, too), and I'm out the door and looking for a place to sit.

The pork shoulder sandwhich is huge: twice as much as I ever eat for lunch, and three times more than I should eat. It came with peppers, onions, one big leaf of lettuce, and something deliciously green smeared on the bread.

The pork itself? Plain, but perfect. Some pieces unctuously fatty, some beautifully browned, some tastily charred. It tasted like pork, and nothin' but pork. It tasted like heaven.

If you were at the grill around one o'clock today, you may have seen me: I was the woman (now fabulously brunette!) perched on a brick planter, picking pork off a roll, trying not to make yummy noises too loudly.

Worth the run? Oh yeah. Sometimes plain honest food is best.

My first piece of pizza was delicious and the second one was not. Too much rabe, not a problem I've had before. I may go back to the chicken again, especially with this new double-saucing. Love that green stuff.

The line was indeed yooge today, all the way to the back door when I arrived around 12:30. We'll see if it persists tomorrow.

There is a patio in the back with tables and chairs and a pitcher of ice water and some plastic cups, where you can eat your grill fare with some modicum of dignity.  No need to sit on the planters out front.

Speaking of which, does anyone besides me feel a bit sheepish about slinking through the dining room at Galileo in a hard-hat and overalls?

I was underwhelmed by the meatball sub today. Should have gone with the chicken. Wonder why so many people decided to show up this afternoon. Good weather, perhaps?

Today was my 4th trip to the Grill. Each time I've brought a newbie with me, and it's been really funny to watch every one of them fuck up the process somehow (like I did my first time). It's always something, and Chef Donna inevitably makes sure that EVERYONE knows about it.

:lol: