Le Pain Quotidien, a Brussels-Based Boulangerie Chain Rapidly Expanding in the DC Area

Construction is under way in the old Pied Bistro space on M St. Their website is here

Is there reason to believe that this will be a plus for the area? Recent experiences with chain bakeries have not been good (witness the decline of Breadline).

I have been to two of the three existing Pain Quotidien- in Aix-en-Provence and in London (I believe the third is in Brussels). I love the fact that their products are fresh, they have a small menu, and are reliable. Community tables are part of the concept. A good lunch choice... very French, not carb-heavy (the tartines can provide the perfect balanced meal). I'm a fan for sure, and excited that they're coming here. Let's just hope the concept translates across the Atlantic.

ETA: I was clearly misinformed and there are a lot of these both in the US and throughout the world... No thanks to my know-it-all Londoner friend... ;)

Is there reason to believe that this will be a plus for the area? Recent experiences with chain bakeries have not been good (witness the decline of Breadline).

I'd certainly rate the food I've had at Pain Quotidien locations in New York above what I've gotten from the bakery chains we have now (Firehook, Cosi, Bread and Chocolate, etc.)

Breadline still doesn't quite fit the "chain" definition - yeah, it's corporate owned now, but there's only one, and the menu there bears precisely no relation to the menu at any other Brioche Doree outpost other than that they're all serving some kind of bread. Assuming you can call the parbaked squishy stuff the Brioche Doree in Heathrow was flogging at 6am "bread." Breadline might have lost a little of its indie cred, but compared to the rest of the corporation? It's the Temple of Breadly Delights.

I'd disagree with your opinion of Breadline. It's gone to shit and whenever I get desparate and buy a loaf at the Mt. Pleasant market it's almost heartbreaking in a way that seeing an old flame that left you for a bad marriage would be: there's enough left to remind you why you were in love, but it hurts to see the way the soul has been sucked out of it.

And being better than Bread and Chocolate or Cosi is like having an infection less painful than the clap. No real bragging rights there.

I did some googling, however, and read some some good stuff from some brutal critics in NYC which, with your endorsement, almost push me towards cautious optimism.

DAQ556, your apartment has just skyrocketed in value. I had breakfast three weeks ago at the Columbus Circle location of LPQ in NYC and it was exquisite. The breads are incredible. It is not at all like a chain.

I <3 Pain Quotidien. Their breads and pastries are above average by a long shot, and their salads at lunch are perfect.

Beware the praline spread, though, it's nothing but (delicious) sugar. I may have eaten the equivalent of a whole jar the first time. The bread is sooo good, it is hard not to eat a lot. Breakfast is a treat.

A client introduced me to Pain Quotidien for lunch one day and I dream about the salad.

I would have been thrilled to have treked to Pain Quotidient this morning.

p.s. one of the outlets in New York is actually in the giant A.B.C. home store.

This weekend I noticed that Au Pied is closed and that this chain Le Pain Quotidien, which people on Chowhound speak highly of, is opening in its place. Anybody, have thoughts on this?

A few years ago Mrs. dcdavidm spent a year working in NYC, and her apartment was about 100 feet from a Pain Quotidien, so she (and I on weekends) became regulars, and I always brought back a loaf of bread upon my weekly return to DC. The breads are really good; hearty, flavorful loaves. I especially liked the walnut bread. Whenever we go to NYC now I bring back a dozen "hazelnut flutes" and freeze them, to be extracted later for a breakfast treat. Varieties of fruit tarts, croissants, brownies were always terrific. They did a decent job on soups and light lunch fare. Their impending presence here in DC has got to be a big plus.

I've gone to various locations in NY over the years. I love it for 2 things. One is that it's a great place to get a nosh. Say you're walking around NY all day and it's 3 pm and you're hungry for something savory, but don't want to get filled up and ruin dinner. They serve several items that are assortments of breads, spreads, cheese, cornichons, charcuterie, etc. One I recall is a Tuscan assortment that includes bread, olive tapenade, sundried tomatoes, ricotta cheese spread, olives, and the like. It's a small serving, enough for one person, not some big spread. The other thing I love is the communal table, which can provide some interesting people watching. All in all a good addition, I think.

It's now open (I heard a server say they opened yesterday). This is the first one I've been to. There's a takeout bakery in the front, and restaurant seating (indoor and outdoor) towards the back. I tried the tuscan platter mentioned above – cups of olive tapenade with pesto, sundried tomatoes with a few small olives, and ricotta cheese along with prosciutto, two wedges of cantaloupe, two slices of wheat bread, and two large, chunky slices of a crusty/chewy white bread. I don't know exactly what kind of white bread it was, but I really liked it and preferred it over the wheat bread. The platter is a bit pricey at $12.95 - it was big enough that I didn't finish the whole thing, though I could have if I'd tried. But along with the complimentary praline spread, berry, and apricot preserves, I had lots of fun mixing and matching the savory and sweet spreads (yes, the praline spread is addictive).

I stopped in last night with my SO. We each ordered a tartine, and both were very, very tasty. The pastries we tried were just so-so, but I'd definitely go back for a tartine or to try one of their salads (or to have bread and hazelnut spread for breakfast...mmm...).

It seems that a certain Michel Richard was also interested in checking out the LPQ buzz... As we were waiting for our food, he walked in, sat down at the communal table and began chatting with the manager. On his way out, the manager insisted that he take a pastry or sweet with him, and Mr. Richard (pastry chef extraodinaire...) politely refused, but finally settled on a Belgian sugar waffle to appease the insistent manager...

I don't know if Mr. Richard will return, but given the freshness of their food and their proximity to my apartment, I will definitely be back.

It seems that a certain Michel Richard was also interested in checking out the LPQ buzz... As we were waiting for our food, he walked in, sat down at the communal table and began chatting with the manager. On his way out, the manager insisted that he take a pastry or sweet with him, and Mr. Richard (pastry chef extraodinaire...) politely refused, but finally settled on a Belgian sugar waffle to appease the insistent manager... .

In the cruelest of ironies, M. Richard, one of the finest pastry chefs on the planet, is diabetic, and must restrict his intake of sugar.

Hands down, they have the best baguette in DC. I picked one up on Sunday. It wasn't perfect but it's the only baguette in the area that approaches the ideal of crusty exterior and light fluffy interior. Good flavor as well. I was pretty stoked to finally get a good baguette in this town, but kind of bummed that I have to go to Georgetown to get it.

have you tried Breadline's baguette? It's really good and it doesnt hurt to have more options, since there seems to be a lack of quality bread around here.

There's definitely a lack of quality bread around here. I think Breadline is OK, but they can be a little inconsistent. I also like Bonaparte, which I get at the Dupont or Foggy Bottom farmer's markets. However, I found LPQ to be much better than either one of these.

have you tried Breadline's baguette? It's really good and it doesnt hurt to have more options, since there seems to be a lack of quality bread around here.

Breadline's baguettes have been listless at best since the maestro took himself out of the day-to-day operations. LPQ is a significantly better option, IMHO.

I just picked up lunch there. The place was busy but very short line. Confusing counter service. I waited 10 minutes before I was handed the wrong order, which was a turkey tartine. I took it because it would have taken too much time to complain and wait for the correct sandwich. This $8 "sandwich" consisted of two slices of wheat bread, one slice of turkey and some mayonnaise type dressing, on the side:a pinch of salad, one cube of melon and 3 cornichons. Also, when I asked for the sandwich on a croissant, I was told that was not possible. $13 for bland soup and a stingy sandwich.

I just picked up lunch there. The place was busy but very short line. Confusing counter service. I waited 10 minutes before I was handed the wrong order, which was a turkey tartine. I took it because it would have taken too much time to complain and wait for the correct sandwich. This $8 "sandwich" consisted of two slices of wheat bread, one slice of turkey and some mayonnaise type dressing, on the side:a pinch of salad, one cube of melon and 3 cornichons. Also, when I asked for the sandwich on a croissant, I was told that was not possible. $13 for bland soup and a stingy sandwich.

Indeed, as a new place I think they have some issues to work out. We stopped by last Sunday morning to pick up some breakfast pastries and bread. Asked for a half loaf of walnut bread. Unwrapped it at home later that day, and noticed that the cut edge was considerably caved in; a dry taste suggested that it must have been a piece left over from the day before. Unfortunately, I did not watch the counterperson bag it, so I can't be sure. I'll give them more chances, though, because I remember how much I enjoyed staying near one of their NYC outlets a few years ago.

I don't generally post negative things about restaurants; since this is a fairly large corporation I don't mind so much. I went in last Saturday for lunch and got the Parisian tartine. Nine dollars for one piece of cold bread and one piece of colder ham with a couple of cornichons and some greens scattered around the plate seemed a little extreme. $3.95 for 8-10oz. of green iced tea that was kinda bland. The apple/pear turnover thing was okay. I actually really got into the space and the communal table. I wished it was a Rays the Steaks or Sonoma in that space, it does a good job of not feeling like a chain. I didn't hate it and I'm not really angry, I just don't really feel like going back.

I don't generally post negative things about restaurants; since this is a fairly large corporation I don't mind so much. I went in last Saturday for lunch and got the Parisian tartine. Nine dollars for one piece of cold bread and one piece of colder ham with a couple of cornichons and some greens scattered around the plate seemed a little extreme. $3.95 for 8-10oz. of green iced tea that was kinda bland. The apple/pear turnover thing was okay. I actually really got into the space and the communal table. I wished it was a Rays the Steaks or Sonoma in that space, it does a good job of not feeling like a chain. I didn't hate it and I'm not really angry, I just don't really feel like going back.

Justin, you know that we pick up food all the time, and this looked like the great new place. It's still very new. I guess we need to give it time. When the guy told me I couldn't have my sandwich on a croissant, with the croissants right there in front of me, I was non-plussed. Next time I'll go back and be a little more assertive. I think it's kind of weird to have to ask the manager if you can please have your sandwich on different bread. A friend ate there today upstairs, though, and liked it. I'll go back.

Are the baguettes and other breads good or not? Does this have a chance of wholesaling decent bread to restaurants? From where I sit (which is often in front of a TERRIBLE bread basket in a restaurant), that's my primary concern.

Cheers,

Rocks.

The breads are better than many restaurants serve now, but they could be better.

Elias: Adjusting expectations down is the worst possible response. Make them live up to their own PR, I say (and everybody else, as well).

No, don't adjust down, just adjust.

If we walk in expecting Tartine (San Francisco), we'll invariably be disappointed.

If take them for what they are, a large chain, they're a welcome alternative to a faux-bakery or coffeehouse, that's all.

But if they're just another large chain, who cares if it's Cosi or McDonalds or Le Pain Quotidien? If a chain inevitably means accpeting mediocrity, screw 'em; it's an "I know what you are, we're just negotiating price," kind of deal. Why not ask for something better, and see if they can deliver? Armani and BMW and (insert your favorite luxury brand here --or maybe just Levi Strauss, "Le Jean Quotidien") are multinational chains (though they'd surely deny it if you called them that) and they deliver something exceptional -- the same thing LPQ claims to do.

Coming soon to Old Town - signs are up announcing job fairs at their location-to-be on the NW corner of King and Washington Streets. LPQ will be replacing the dumpy Chinese restaurant that used to be there. Hopefully it will be a good addition to the casual choices in Alexandria!

The several times I've tried LPQ in Georgetown I have uniformly felt annoyed, underwhelmed and ripped-off. Confused, inept service. Tasteless vegan vegetable soup, $14 for two shrimp cut in half on stale bread. No thanks. Worst example:

Me: "Can I have the tartine on a croissant; I'll pay extra"

Counter person: "No".

That and the pram jam at the front door are dealbreakers for me.

The several times I've tried LPQ in Georgetown I have uniformly felt annoyed, underwhelmed and ripped-off. Confused, inept service. Tasteless vegan vegetable soup, $14 for two shrimp cut in half on stale bread. No thanks. Worst example:

Me: "Can I have the tartine on a croissant; I'll pay extra"

Counter person: "No".

That and the pram jam at the front door are dealbreakers for me.

:( That's discouraging - guess we'll see what happens in Alexandria. Though it sounds like I'll probably be best just sticking with my local favorites.

Boyfriend and I journeyed to Georgetown to try this place on Sunday morning, and we were pleasantly surprised. The 15-minute wait passed quickly, since I was gawking at the beautiful baked goods and spreads available for purchase. I will say, the layout of the space is HORRIBLE for waiting (which happens regularly, I'd imagine), though it's probably better when the weather is nice and folks can congregate outside.

We sat at a two-top instead of at the communal table, which was nice and private but didn't provide enough space for the amount of food and beverages we wanted to order (we were hungry little piggies)! We started with the bread basket, and all of the varieties were good, but the baguette was superb--crusty outside, soft inside, and delicious on its own OR with the various spreads (praline was the best, drooooooool). We took about half the bread home, so hopefully it will survive for a day or two and be tasty when it's toasted.

We also got omelettes--I opted for the ham and gruyere, and boyfriend chose the asparagus and goat cheese. Both were incredibly light and fluffy--do the organic eggs have something to do with that? Both cheeses were of very high quality, but I actually liked the asparagus and goat cheese combo the best (and, conveniently, boyfriend preferred the ham and gruyere). The vinaigrette on the accompanying greens was quite tasty as well.

Coffee was good and service was just fine. The breakfast was more expensive than some, but we left stuffed and with bread to take home for later. We noticed a lot of trouble with seating at the communal table--for example, parties would leave and the hostess would retrieve the next group in line, only to find that people had shifted in the meantime--so that could use some tweaking.

I noticed they had an organic challah bread (only available on Fridays, I believe)--I'll definitely return to try that!

We ended up at the Alexandria location yesterday afternoon. It seemed pleasant, though empty (I will say that it was a rainy Monday afternoon in April, and Eammon's was pretty empty, too, so this is not a judgment). My guests each had coffees and split a brioche pastry (it looked similar to a Danish). They declared it delicious, and despite having had lunch at Eammon's, they ate the whole thing. I only had room to sip my mint lemonade, which I found tasty -- very tart and refreshing. I would definitely like to go back and try the breads, all of which looked fantastic.

Like many others on the Hill, I rejoiced when Bread and Chocolate closed its doors. It typified all that has traditionally been wrong with dining in this neighborhood: A great location wasted on slack service and mediocre food, but with standing room only on the weekends because the Eastern Market tourists and the locals have hardly any other damn place to go. That deep and fulfilling sense of Schadenfreude made my first visit to LPQ today all the more pleasurable, despite the very basic nature of the food (open-faced sandwiches, soups, etc) and the still rather confused though well-meaning service. My wife, who always longs for the bread of her native Germany, has already bought a number of loaves here. The first one she brought home, a massive, dense, rye boule, brought tears to her eyes. My lunch today of a simple but carefully presented Gruyere tartine, a somewhat under-flavored though honest black bean soup, and a pistachio/marzipan tart was a pleasant way to spend a sunny mid afternoon. The espresso is creamy, rich, and hot, and the girl people watching is excellent. B&C is dead, long live LPQ.

sampled some items at Le Pain Cap Hill last week...medicore at best. The melted goat cheese pear tartine was acceptable. The lentil stew with chicken and sausage was fairly weak, the sausage seemed low grade quality and the chunks of chicken only slightly better than one would find in good can of soup. The lemon tart perhaps a step up from grocery store level.

Based on several other recommendations I will go back and sample their loaves of bread.

Perhaps the funniest part is their menus list the calories of each item (as required under New York City law.)

I was looking at their website to see if they had info on when the Clarendon location would open (although the signs are up outside, the inside still looked like it had a ways to go). It says early 2009. Also another location "Coming Soon" in early 2009 is at Blaine Mansion in Dupont. I count 7 DC area locations on their website that are open or coming soon (Georgetown, Spring Valley, Bethesda, Old Town Alexandria, Capitol Hill, Clarendon, and Dupont). Quite the fast and large expansion into DC.

I was looking at their website to see if they had info on when the Clarendon location would open (although the signs are up outside, the inside still looked like it had a ways to go). It says early 2009. Also another location "Coming Soon" in early 2009 is at Blaine Mansion in Dupont. I count 7 DC area locations on their website that are open or coming soon (Georgetown, Spring Valley, Bethesda, Old Town Alexandria, Capitol Hill, Clarendon, and Dupont). Quite the fast and large expansion into DC.
According to Craigslist, they're hiring in Clarendon now, so it must be coming soon!

Maybe if they open enough retail outlets, they'll stop wholesaling. Please? Pretty please?

Nora, you can do better than this.

Personally, even though I walk past there every single day, I refuse to go in because of the rude and clueless (plus expensive) service I got when they opened.

Example: Can I have the tartine on a croissant if I pay extra?

Answer: No.

How stupid is that? Stupid.

I finally got to the Capitol Hill location for breakfast. The space is pleasant and the service very good--no comparison at all to Bread and Chocolate on the service front. Other than the table being a bit too small for the plates, things went smoothly.

The ham and gruyere omelette I had was a reasonable size and well made, but, at $10.95, rather expensive. It came with two slices of bread (one from a baguette and one whole wheat) and a mesclun salad. The salad would have been a nice addition later in the day, but 9AM was a bit early for it.

Prices overall seemed pretty high. There are, for instance, separate listings for bread and for ham or hummus or cheese as a topping. To get bread to go with the toppings, it's something like $8 total (I didn't take notes). It seemed like quite a lot of money, and you're not going to get the toppings without the bread, are you? Two soft boiled eggs with a couple of pieces of bread was, I think, $7.95. The bread is good, but I don't see myself eating breakfast here often at these prices. Pocketbook pinching aside, though, it's a far better experience than Bread and Chocolate.