Picnic at Belle Haven Park, Alexandria

hillvalley

My inner party planner has been suppressed for too long, it's time to start planning our first event.

I think a picnic would be a nice way to ease ourselves back into regular events and allow all these new people to check us out. (We really aren't that scary after a glass of wine or three :lol: )

I propose either Sunday May 15th or 22nd at Montrose park in Georgetown. We can bring BBQ's (hint hint), the kids can run around and it's a pretested location.

Let's keep the voting for which date open until Friday and then decide from there.

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I propose either Sunday May 15th or 22nd at Montrose park in Georgetown.  We can bring BBQ's (hint hint), the kids can run around and it's a pretested location.

Let's keep the voting for which date open until Friday and then decide from there.

Either day works for us.

If you need party-planning practice, Ian's birthday party is next Saturday and I have done jack except send the invitations. :lol:

I'm not sure what you mean--do we vote now and decide Friday, or are you saying we think about it and put our votes in ON Friday? (Sorry for being so dense, but I'm only a shrimp)

Vote now, the decision will be announced Friday afternoon.

Heather:

Have each kid pop balloons using their bottom (it's loud but a riot)

Shave balloons with whipped or shaving cream using Popsicle sticks

Make worms in dirt (crushed oreos, pudding, gummy worms)

Do all the classics: musical chairs, pin the tail on the donkey, piñata

Decorate their goodie bags

That should last you about 15 minutes :lol:

Vote now, the decision will be announced Friday afternoon.

In that case, I vote for the 15th, since I'll be out of town for a graduation the 22nd. Item to consider: the weekend of the 22nd may also be graduation weekend in this neck of the woods...

I missed the last picnic, so hopefully I'll be able to make it to this one!

Seeing as how mother's day has taken on a whole new meaning in my house this year, that might not be the best option for me and Mrs JPW and Peanut. Plus a buddy is getting married the day before so I will likely be EXTREMELY hungover.

So my vote goes to the 22nd.

In addition to being Mother's Day May 8 is also my B'day -- what a great little gift I was for Ma :lol:

I'm in for any date that achieves consensus, although the wkend of May 21/22 is G'town's graduation so things may be a little freaky in that 'hood. Maybe won't affect things too badly in the Montrose Park sector of the Village though.

Uhh Heather,

I just looked it up and Mother's Day is the 8th.

So I'd only be hungover on the 15th

Oh good! Not like it mattered to me - I'd rather go on a picnic than to brunch somewhere anyway. I do have plans the night of the 15th but the picnic should be over by then.

Wait, that means I have one less week to come up with gifts for my mom and mother-in-law. :lol:

I have plans on the 15th, so I move for the 22nd.  This park is so close to my house that y'all should be able to roll me home should I have too much fun.

So if it rains, or someone needs a toilet your place is available? 30 or so of your closest friends in to par=tay :lol:

So if it rains, or someone needs a toilet your place is available?  30 or so of your closest friends in to par=tay :lol:

Well....I did have a party for 20+ there once...in my little ole studio. So much fun. The rule has to be no one over size 8 is allowed to enter.

Well....I did have a party for 20+ there once...in my little ole studio. So much fun. The rule has to be no one over size 8 is allowed to enter.

I think that pretty much eliminates our entire male contingent with the possible exception of mdt. :lol:

Oh good!  Not like it mattered to me - I'd rather go on a picnic than to brunch somewhere anyway.  I do have plans the night of the 15th but the picnic should be over by then.

Wait, that means I have one less week to come up with gifts for my mom and mother-in-law.   ;)

I do have plans on the 15th, so my vote goes for May 22nd--unless something else comes up. :lol:

With an almost 2 to 1 ratio the 22nd wins. Since the park is on the other side of Wisconsin graduation shouldn't be that much of a problem.

So mark your calendars for the 22nd at 1pm. Everyone is welcome so please come join us.

I won't make specific requests for things like home made bread, sausage, butt but feel free to bring your specialty :lol: We've got some time before we need to deal with specific dishes but if you have something you want to show off feel free to offer it up. There is no need to RSVP but it would help figuring out the quantities.

As for wine, we didn't have any problems last years so I don't think it will be a concern.

See you in a month. Let the planning begin!

We need some organization here. Who all is coming and what would they like to bring? Last year I brought smoked pork butt and can do so again (again with the admonition that if anyone wants cole slaw on their barbeque, you better bring your own. Where I grew up, we didn't put cole slaw on our barbeque. Plus, I generally don't like cole slaw). I might have my kids that weekend and if so will be bringing them as well.

Also, we need some sort of outreach program so that everyone feels welcome. I reconize that there might be some hesitation meeting people face to face that you have only commiserated with on the Internet (it's the old addage, on the Internet, no one knows you're a dog). I know I was a little hesitant the first time I attended such an event. The picnic will be a casual affair and "first timers" are encouraged to attend. The minimum requirement is that you at least bring either beer or wine. Food would be welcomed but experience inidcates that there will be more than enough.

We need some organization here. 

Yes, since Al Dente cannot come we certainly won't be winging it... :lol:

Mr. mktye & I will be attending, but have not yet decided what food we'll bring (other than it will be high in carbs!).

JG's smoked pork butt sounds delicious. Aside from the "Mediterranean" potato salad, some beer and wine, I have a pretty good brownie recipe (scratch, of course) I will be happy to bring; but I love the Argentinian sausages at Todito's and would be happy to bring some to throw on the grill (which I HOPE someone is bringing), if there is any interest in those. If Busboy is bringing homemade sausages, then I would rather try his.