Circle Bistro, One Washington Circle Hotel - Chef Ashley Harris Takes Over for Ethan McKee

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The bar treated us very well last night! I sampled the fish tempura, which was a nice taste of salmon, and the pea shoot gnocchi, which was a perfect summer dish - lots of green and freshness, tender gnocchi, and delicious sauce. My +1 had the burger and fully enjoyed it. Really a nice experience!

I gave the burger another try at lunch last week. It was a little better than last time, but the patty is still a bit bland for my tastes even though it is perfectly juicy. The aioli is still great as ever.

My starter was the Old Fashioned Tomato Salad. Meh. I loved the complementary flavor of the cucumbers and balsamic. The tomatoes were so-so, however. Decent flavor, but they were served at an almost-lukewarm temperature. Maybe it's simply personal preference -- I like my tomatoes cold.

Maybe I should go back to the dinner menu next time.

My starter was the Old Fashioned Tomato Salad. Meh. I loved the complementary flavor of the cucumbers and balsamic. The tomatoes were so-so, however. Decent flavor, but they were served at an almost-lukewarm temperature. Maybe it's simply personal preference -- I like my tomatoes cold.

FWIW, I strongly prefer my tomatoes closer to room temperature (actually, a few degrees cooler than that, but definitely not cold).

Cheers,

Rocks.

I agree. (FWIW) I prefer most all fruits as you describe.

i prefer tomato sun-warmed, and good luck in finding that at a restaurant.

the appeal of cold tomato soup makes sense in the hot summer, and the current version at corduroy is about as good as you will find in these parts -- although this achievement is not as simple as it may seem in the flavor and texture department.

warm tomato soup with a simple shallot and butter base has better flavor than cold and can be delicious. deborah madison allows you to serve it cold, but if you used any butter it is liable to have a greasy finish you can feel on your lips and see on your spoon.

i guess this doesn't have much to do with circle bistro, except that it reminds me that i haven't been there lately and after restaurant week it may be a good time to start spinning around washington circle again.

Circle Bistro on Tuesday.... I and the gf had been before, but the others in the party had not. Food, as always, excellent (loved the corn soup). The regular, full menu was used... about half the entrees had $3-$4 upcharges... a couple of the starters (softshell crab) had upcharges also. The one odd thing that irked me a bit was that the automatic gratuity was more than 20% (about 21.5%) on the pretax total. We probably would've left that much anyway with it being RW and all, so didn't fuss... but it is just the first time I've seen the automatic gratuity be over 20%.

Maybe the gratuity was based on the post tax bill? I am surprised they automatically add it to the check.

Circle Bistro on Tuesday.... I and the gf had been before, but the others in the party had not. Food, as always, excellent (loved the corn soup). The regular, full menu was used... about half the entrees had $3-$4 upcharges... a couple of the starters (softshell crab) had upcharges also. The one odd thing that irked me a bit was that the automatic gratuity was more than 20% (about 21.5%) on the pretax total. We probably would've left that much anyway with it being RW and all, so didn't fuss... but it is just the first time I've seen the automatic gratuity be over 20%.

Like you said it is RW. Maybe the restaurant is simply trying to ensure that they take care of their servers, since maybe a number of folks don't tip on the full menu price?

Stopped in on Friday night before heading to Arena stage and had the pre-theater menu. It has been a while since I have been there for dinner and I am glad that we went. $37 gives you three courses where you select from two choices for each course. Highlights were the pumpkin soup and a great hanger steak over some buttery new potatoes. Service was very good and it is nice have the bottle and a taste when ordering wine by the glass. This will surely be in the rotation for pre-event dining for the upcoming NSO/theater season.

My wife and I were just there this past Thursday night before going to La Boheme. Nice dinner, well paced as we mentioned we were pre theater but opted to dine a la carte instead. My wife had the mushroom salad and some kind of fish, something I had not heard of before...cobia? It was good! I opted for the foie gras (very good!) and the hangar steak (perfectly cooked to just medium rare). We finished up with an ice cream I think it was raspberry and blackberry? with some cookies on the side and I think candied orange peel. Delicious and a nice way to start off the evening. And the valet parking was a lifesaver! I'll be back!

New Year's

New Year’s Eve at Circle Bistro

Caramelized Maine Diver Scallop, Crab Sausage, Celery Root Mousseline, Truffle Vinaigrette

Long Island Duck Boudin, Sweet and Sour Cabbage, Natural Duck Jus

Wild Striped Bass, Satur Farms Chiogga Beets, Tangerine, Ginger

Grass Fed Natural Shenandoah Beef, Horseradish, Yukon Potato “Presse”, Young Spinach

Chocolate and Blood Orange Baked Alaska, Grand Marnier Sabayon, Orange Confiture

85. with wine pairing

New Year's

New Year’s Eve at Circle Bistro

Caramelized Maine Diver Scallop, Crab Sausage, Celery Root Mousseline, Truffle Vinaigrette

Long Island Duck Boudin, Sweet and Sour Cabbage, Natural Duck Jus

Wild Striped Bass, Satur Farms Chiogga Beets, Tangerine, Ginger

Grass Fed Natural Shenandoah Beef, Horseradish, Yukon Potato “Presse”, Young Spinach

Chocolate and Blood Orange Baked Alaska, Grand Marnier Sabayon, Orange Confiture

85. with wine pairing

We're there! I'm hungry already.

Berated by Cedric Maupillier for "always getting the cheeseburger," I've tried my best to steer clear of it, and in the process have tried almost the entire menu.

But what Cedric failed to realize is that I didn't go to Central, and THEN decide to order the cheeseburger; I decided I wanted a cheeseburger, and THEN went to Central, where I knew I could get a good one - a big, big difference.

And it was the same tonight with the Circle Bistro Cheeseburger ($12): A big, hand-ground Angus patty, topped with oven-dried Roma tomatoes, local lettuce, fines-herbes mayonnaise, and provolone cheese. A fantastic hamburger, one of the very best in town, and served with a generous portion of russet-potato french fries. I'm sorry, Brendan, but I still say: If anyone is in the mood for a cheeseburger, then it's worth the drive to Circle Bistro to get.

Path Valley Farms Celeriac Soup ($9) was a creamy puree of celeriac, centered with a confit of trumpet mushrooms, and topped with a little drizzle of the oil from that very same mushroom confit, infused with some green herbs.

Sometimes you've just got to have a burger and a bowl of soup, and why not frequent an independently owned restaurant who does them right? Tonight I went to Circle Bistro, and I'm glad I did. Next time, however, I'll be more than happy to enjoy the full fruits of Brendan's considerable culinary talents.

But it's a darned good burger, I'm tellin' ya!

Cheers,

Rocks.

Disappointing night at Circle Bistro last night with the wife and two friends - we live a couple of blocks away and usually go in every month or two.

I don't think full detail is important, but all of the dishes were somewhat off in the execution (flaccid skin on the chicken, sea bass that might've spent too much time on land) and there was a rubber band (yes, a rubber band) in my appetizer salad - frisee, lardon, poached egg.

I asked if Brendan was in the kitchen and was told he was not - we will absolutely go back as Circle Bistro is a great restaurant, but I did not realize how dependent their performance could be on Brendan's presence and we will call ahead before popping in next time to be sure he is at the wheel.

Much to their credit, the wait-staff was flawless and comped my appetizer and entree after the rubber band incident (which I thought was too much, but which they insisted on doing). The explanation for the rubber band was that the greens are local and organic, not pre-washed, so the prep folks rubber band them for easier cleaning.

This is not the first time I have seen this reponse on this board, the most recent was Eat Bar. More then likely this is another topic but the fact the kitchen can not produce becuase the Chef is not in house is crazy. Maybe they should be required to put a sign out when the chef is in. Is this covered under it's hard to find good help banner ? If I owned this business, which I like by the way, I would ensure that your experience was the same no matter who was cooking.

Well, yeah. Don't you think these chefs do everything that they can to ensure consistency? Things happen. What would you propose - that these chefs haven't already implemented - that would guarantee that every dining experience is the same?

Is this covered under it's hard to find good help banner ? If I owned this business, which I like by the way, I would ensure that your experience was the same no matter who was cooking.

I can't even imagine how difficult it is to be an independent restaurateur and how challenging it is to find high quality staff who care as much as the proprietor/chef under the financial constraints they have. Totally agree that this is the goal for the chef, and inconsistency is inexcusable at a larger/more expensive/chain restaurant.

For places like Circle Bistro, Mark and Orlando's, Dino, et al, however, I am willing to take on the burden of reserving judgement for those nights when the chef is in the kitchen or owner is in the house. Maybe I'm wrong to give a bit of a pass, but a quick call ahead will allow me to support the independent folks and still get the good meal I know they can deliver.

Disappointing night at Circle Bistro last night with the wife and two friends - we live a couple of blocks away and usually go in every month or two.

I don't think full detail is important, but all of the dishes were somewhat off in the execution (flaccid skin on the chicken, sea bass that might've spent too much time on land) and there was a rubber band (yes, a rubber band) in my appetizer salad - frisee, lardon, poached egg.

I asked if Brendan was in the kitchen and was told he was not - we will absolutely go back as Circle Bistro is a great restaurant, but I did not realize how dependent their performance could be on Brendan's presence and we will call ahead before popping in next time to be sure he is at the wheel.

A lot of conclusions being drawn from a single data point. Given that Brendan is now (still, right?) running two restaurants and has been for some months, plus may have a life, it's likely that you've passed a positive experience or two without him behind the line -- he's probably got a pretty sharp sous in there when he's away. It's equally likely that the same line cook that missed the rubber band would have done so had Brendan been there, and that the sea bass would have spent just as many days in the walk-in.

Entirely possible you're right. Equally possible that it was just a random off night, or off meal (happens to the best).

Maybe I'm wrong to give a bit of a pass, but a quick call ahead will allow me to support the independent folks and still get the good meal I know they can deliver.
I'd be curious to hear the conversation if Brendan or Sous andswered the phone an you explained that his staff was not competent to deliver an adequate meal in Brandan's absence. :(

And it was the same tonight with the Circle Bistro Cheeseburger ($12): A big, hand-ground Angus patty, topped with oven-dried Roma tomatoes, local lettuce, fines-herbes mayonnaise, and provolone cheese. A fantastic hamburger, one of the very best in town, and served with a generous portion of russet-potato french fries. I'm sorry, Brendan, but I still say: If anyone is in the mood for a cheeseburger, then it's worth the drive to Circle Bistro to get.

Well, thanks to having read that little quote from that "Darn Rockwell", I just had to go over to Circle Bistro tonight to experience the CB burger for myself.

It was, indeed, worth the trip. (Thanks, Don!)

I wasn't the least bit surprised, mind you, but thanks to reading Don's post, I just got a real jones for that burger. And Circle Bistro delivered the goods, and then some. The frites are fantastic, nice and big and not salty. That burger was freakin' delicious and bedded my appetite down very well.

Oh, and that warm mushroom salad with frisee and a poached egg is one of my favorite salads in the city. Really, I'm not even doing it justice here.

The best part of the evening for me was that Brendan was there tonight. Many times, I've stopped in only to discover that Brendan was either off that evening or over at Notte Bianchi. I'm not the least bit concerned with the quality or presentation of my food in his absence, I simply miss seeing Brendan and I know how much he enjoys seeing old friends enjoying a nice meal there.

In his defense, Brendan knows full well that the kitchen should run like clockwork when he isn't there, he's got good people working for him. And as has been pointed out time and time again, any restaurant is going to have a less-than-perfect night - restaurants are run by fallible human beings after all.

Happily for me, I've never had an "off" night at Circle Bistro. Don't expect to either, but on the off-chance that it ever happens, I'm sympathetic and confident that they will make things right.

I wish I had as glowing an experience with the Circle Bistro Cheeseburger today at lunch, however, mine experience was dreadful. The burger was ordered medium rare, but showed up grey throughout. I would have sent it back, but I could not find anyone in the bar other than myself. So I tried it, what I found was a dried out almost flavorless patty. I have no idea who was in the kitchen, but whoever it was put out one of the crappiest burgers I have ever had.

I wish I had as glowing an experience with the Circle Bistro Cheeseburger today at lunch, however, mine experience was dreadful. The burger was ordered medium rare, but showed up grey throughout. I would have sent it back, but I could not find anyone in the bar other than myself. So I tried it, what I found was a dried out almost flavorless patty. I have no idea who was in the kitchen, but whoever it was put out one of the crappiest burgers I have ever had.

Damn man, that's a shame :( I ordered mine medium-rare and it came out with just the right amount of pink in the center. It was juicy, flavorful and is killing me now to think about it (alas, I haven't had lunch.)

You didn't mention it to anyone when your bill came? I'm generally more forgiving when a restaurant acknowledges an error and makes good on correcting it. How they respond is a good indicator to me of how they are run.

You didn't mention it to anyone when your bill came? I'm generally more forgiving when a restaurant acknowledges an error and makes good on correcting it. How they respond is a good indicator to me of how they are run.

I did mention it and the guy said sorry. The only person that came into the bar after I ordered was the person who delivered the food and a waitress that made a b-line to the soda gun and right out. If they don't want to offer lunch service in the bar they should just close it, if they do offer it, they should have some sort of staffing to help a customer that shows up.

I may try Circle again for dinner, but I cannot imagine with the great burgers that I have recently had at Central, Charlie Palmer’s, and Mark and Orlando’s I cannot see myself making the line switch at Metro Center to go back to Circle for lunch.

I stand behind what I wrote. What I was served was nowhere near what you described. The meat was dry, crumbly, flavorless, and cooked long enough to give a USDA inspector a hard-on (how is that for hyperbole?). The fries were the only redeeming thing about my lunch.

Oh I have no doubt some incompetent line cook turned your burger into shoe leather, but what about the local butter lettuce, the house-herbed mayo, and the perfectly good slice of provolone?

When I venture into "worst ever" territory with hamburgers, it makes me shudder:

* A microwaved burger bought from a vending machine at the Howard County Board of Education

* A frozen Winn-Dixie patty grilled rock-hard over half a trash can by a hungover college freshman

* An all-night truck stop that served me a hamburger that had seeds in it

I've had the burger at Circle Bistro 4-5 times now, and while it's not designed to be as upscale as the ones at Central or Palena, I'd put it right up there with the ones at Mark and Orlando's, Corduroy, Colorado Kitchen, and EatBar. Truly, Steve, it sounds like you caught it at its worst possible moment.

Oh I have no doubt some incompetent line cook turned your burger into shoe leather, but what about the local butter lettuce, the house-herbed mayo, and the perfectly good slice of provolone?

I've had the burger at Circle Bistro 4-5 times now, and while it's not designed to be as upscale as the ones at Central or Palena, I'd put it right up there with the ones at Mark and Orlando's, Corduroy, Colorado Kitchen, and EatBar. Truly, Steve, it sounds like you caught it at its worst possible moment.

The lettuce on my burger looked more like romaine (it was quite ribby so I took it off), the shroud of cheese was the best part of the burger, but I didn't spend $12 for a slice of cheese, and mayo stood no chance of overcoming the monstrosity that was the patty. I really wanted to like the burger, and that is why I trudged from Union Station to try it.

To let you know how bad the service was in the bar, when the check arrived the gentleman walked away, and I could not find someone to break a $20 so that I could leave more than a $.20 tip (the total for the burger and a draft was $19.80 and I only had $20's), after 5 minutes of seeing no one I gave up and left.

We had a nice time and nice meal. A $5-6 glass of decent wine in the comfortable lounge poured by Joe is a nice start. Our lovely server Lenya (sp) from a small town in Russia brought us good food-diver scallops cooked properly, lightly fried puffs of chevre with greens, made in house egg tagliatelle with duck ragu, "Shenandoah (sp)" rack of lamb cooked as ordered. A pleasant cheese tray ended the meal. A good value even if BC was cooking at a celebrity event. Word was he's not in CB very often but our meal was fine. I will return. Wine list was good and not too over priced. ex. Seresin 2006 NZ SB for $36pb was a good choice

Interested to know what "the word" is, because he's at Circle every time I go, six days a week.

A couple of employees gave me "the word". If they were wrong, my apologies and we will return regardless. A nice meal in a pleasant atmosphere!

My boyfriend and I ate at Circle Bistro last night and it was overall a wonderful experience. We started with 2 appetizers to share- I had the scallops and he had the crab boudin. That scallops were delicious- they were served on a bed of sweet pea puree and tiny, crispy cubes of fingerling potatoes. They were a bit overcooked for my taste but I think it was really was just a personal preference thing. The boudin was very tasty- a faux sausage of scallop mousse and crab served on a ginger cream. Our only complaint was that the crab and scallop flavor overpowered the cream and it was a little hard to discern ginger. Our entrees were amazing. He got the halibut, which was simply prepared (served with aspargus and a soft-herb salad), perfectly cooked, and perfectly light. I got the potato-crusted fluke, which was the best piece of fish that I have put in my mouth in a long time!! Dessert was the chocolate bread pudding souffle (wow!) and some kind of a crumble (I think rhubard/apple) served w/housmade ginger ice cream, which was my favorite part. The service was also great. We left wondering why it took us so long to try this place- we will be back.

My boyfriend and I ate at Circle Bistro last night and it was overall a wonderful experience. We started with 2 appetizers to share- I had the scallops and he had the crab boudin. That scallops were delicious- they were served on a bed of sweet pea puree and tiny, crispy cubes of fingerling potatoes. They were a bit overcooked for my taste but I think it was really was just a personal preference thing. The boudin was very tasty- a faux sausage of scallop mousse and crab served on a ginger cream. Our only complaint was that the crab and scallop flavor overpowered the cream and it was a little hard to discern ginger. Our entrees were amazing. He got the halibut, which was simply prepared (served with aspargus and a soft-herb salad), perfectly cooked, and perfectly light. I got the potato-crusted fluke, which was the best piece of fish that I have put in my mouth in a long time!! Dessert was the chocolate bread pudding souffle (wow!) and some kind of a crumble (I think rhubard/apple) served w/housmade ginger ice cream, which was my favorite part. The service was also great. We left wondering why it took us so long to try this place- we will be back.

This has been our spot for pre-theather dining as the seafood is some of the best in town. I had the fluke last week and I agree that it was terrific.

I went last night and ordered the halibut -- fantastic. Really light and perfect on a warm spring evening. My fiance ordered the bass, which was also excellent. We hadn't been in a while, but I think we'll definitely be back again soon!

Okay, this thread has me anxious for Friday to get here already.

Headed there for a birthday dinner.

Suggestions gratefully accepted. This thread is making me very very hungry.

Anything with fish as the protein.

Hot damn, that was a good time. A very very good time.

Six people times a few courses plus some champagne and a few bottles of wine = fun had by all. Every single dish that I tried was excellent - my family and friends are share-ers, so I got passed a taste of everything on the table (except the scallops - allergic). I took the fish advice and went with the trout, which was a great decision. the ham wrapped figs blew everyone away.

With six people it made sense to order one of each dessert and just pass them around. I'm not even sure which was the winner there, because it was pretty much whatever was in front of me.

I couldn't have asked for a more perfect celebration or for a more fabulous meal. Now I'm itching to try Notti Bianchi.

mmmm, mmmmm.

It has been way too long since I've been to Circle Bistro, especially knowing that Ethan McKee is now running the kitchen (recall that before coming to Circle Bistro, McKee was running the kitchen at the Friendship Heights Rock Creek, and before that was Chef de Cuisine at Equinox). My young dining companion and I had just played tennis, and were in no shape (dress-wise), to even set foot in the dining room, so we "settled" for half-price Angus Beef Burgers ($7 on Wednesday nights).

The big standouts were the tempura-battered onion rings (substituted for one order of the fries), Cod Fritters ($8), and also the desserts by Pastry Chef Peter Brett. Brett is a serious talent, and the desserts here (and perhaps at Notti Bianchi as well) are impressive.

And speaking of Pastry Chefs, congratulations to Kate Fiore from Westend Bistro ... she and Ethan are getting married next Sunday! Congratulations, you two!

Cheers,

Rocks.

I'm devastated that it's been almost a year since anyone posted about this place ... wait, no, I'm not, since it means I can go any time and not be fighting off the crowds to get to Ethan McKee's awesome food.

Had a business meeting in the bar tonight and didn't really even intend to order anything, but once again, ended up being gobsmacked by how awesome the food was.

Yellow gazpacho with tomatoes, canary melon, and cucumber and lump crab (all sourced locally, particularly the veg, from Rappahannock) was outstanding, perfectly refreshing after a steamy walk from the office. The delicate but highly flavorful soup was topped with sweet chunks of crab, ripe avocado, and some cherry tomato eighths, frilled with a bit of micro-cilantro, and drizzled with lemon oil and basil oil. I had a fantastic chilled sweet corn soup at Cityzen last night, but this gazpacho was a controlled riot of flavors nearly (equally? hmm) as good. Actually, if I could have bowls of both of these side by side, I'd be over the moon.

Three duck confit and ricotta ravioli chanterelle mushrooms, figs, sage butter were simultaneously rich and light, and just ridiculously good -- the richness made the filling taste almost like veal, and I could eat a vat of those mushrooms and have an Oliver Twist moment begging for more. Chef McKee came out after we'd eaten, and we were able to ask who was making the pasta; apparently he's doing it himself right now, which we all noted is kind of a ridiculous situation, but man oh man is he doing a great job. (Sorry, Chef, if I just consigned you to more time rolling out sheets of dough ...)

The last time I was at Circle Bistro, the lounge was a packed meat-market during happy hour. Tonight, the place was almost empty, and that's incredibly distressing: this is more than some of the best food in the West End (a statement that could be construed as damning with faint praise) -- it's some damn awesome food, period. I will be back very, very soon.

Today, on my first visit, had a three course price fixe lunch ($24) in the dining room. I don't know what all the fuss is about at this place.

I begin with the French Onion soup. Way too much cheese served on top. Eating becomes some sort of ridiculous yo-yo maneuver: Bring spoon, a hot mess of onions and gooey cheese that refused to unclump, to mouth. Note that the soup never actually completely leaves the bowl, as a string of melted cheese stretches out to wherever my spoon is. A random woman across the room starts making fun of me. Resorting to just eating the broth, I find a hint of brandy perhaps, but not much depth of flavor. Meatier was the black-lung cough of the lady just two tables over, and to be fair that did overshadow much of my experience there.

Next was the Wild Rockfish in a red-pepper leek sauce (usually $19). Nice 7 oz steak, the fish was actually cooked very nicely, with a perfect texture. The sauce however was underseasoned and tasted just like sauteed leeks, the red peppers didn't add much at all and the sauce not flavorful. 3 mussels, out of the shell, garnished the entree, but added little and were dried out.

Lastly, I ordered the sorbet. The runner dropped off what he claimed was a creme brulee. It looked like vanilla ice cream over granola. I told him my actual order, he left the dessert at my table, and headed off to the kitchen. After about 2 minutes of staring at the dessert, I muttered "F it" and dug in. It was a nice apple crumble, and I told my server not to worry about bringing an extra dessert.

There are so many great lunch deals in the city that I doubt I'll be back for this one. I wouldn't complain if someone took me here but based on this one show I dispute its Dining Guide rating.

Today, on my first visit, had a three course price fixe lunch ($24) in the dining room. I don't know what all the fuss is about at this place.

I'm running out the door and don't have time to agree with you. :)

I had lunch in the dining room at Circle Bistro with Tim Carman in October - the first time I've ever had lunch here - and it was horrible, and I mean it was Bismark, North Dakota, Holiday Inn level for both food and service. Go there for dinner one night when Ethan is working and you'll have a completely different experience (better yet find Jayne at the bar (she's the perky little Brit who has worked there for over twenty years!) and ask her what's good).

I know that doesn't excuse anything, but it might explain it.

Cheers,

Rocks

One post here in 2009, one in 2010. There is no more fuss. When Brendan Cox was still in the kitchen it got raves and deserved them. I was last there about a year ago, and found it to be OK at best.

read the recent review of ... in the WaPo and TS mentioned the inventiveness of the kung pao sweetbreads. I immediately began to reminisce about devouring the kung pao sweetbreads that Brendan Cox made 5 or 6 years ago...