According to my colleague Tony (He is from Buffalo, NY) McFadden’s is the closest. Supposedly the local chapter of Buffalo Bills Backers meet there for their Bills parties.

i spent my first 18 years in Buffalo and can verify - my brother and all of my other Buffalonian comrades spend Sundays in the fall watching Bills games and eating wings at McFadden's...

and grover, I definitely would have gone to Buffalo night if i hadn't been working til just now...

next year, for sheezy

That's so funny I forgot to laugh.

Oh, I'm sorry Mr Rocks, did you think we were friends? Maybe buddies? Perhaps restaurant and literary acquaintances?

well NOT ANYMORE NOW THAT YOU'VE TWISTED THAT BAYONET INTO MY BACK.

You can forget about anymore little :) s or :) s or even :wub: s from me, buddy, from here on out its all :)

who's with me?! (fist pump!)

PS I love the Bills and chicken wings - Grover how were the wings at Buffalo Nite?

Happy to see more Buffalonians posting. Haven't made it to McFadden's this season because I've had a cold and didn't want to sit in a smokey bar (plus I was at the Ralph for last week's game. :) )

I agree that McFadden's wings are pretty okay by non-Buffalo standards.

Off topic, but I attended last year's Buffalo Night--the Bocce club pizza didn't hold up that well, but Charlie the Butcher made up for it.

Jimmy's Old Town Tavern in Herndon is owned by a Buffalonian and he serves up some good wings, along with Beef on Weck and a tasty Friday Fish Fry.

:) -->

QUOTE(Mrs. B @ Mar 20 2006, 04:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Since the demise of the Philadelphia Cheeseteak Factory on 9th Street, Waitman and I have been unable to find a suitable carryout (or even better - delivery) purveyor of this gourmet delight. We have been able to create our own version but lacking proper ventilation and a good oil disposal system makes home preparation a less than satisfactory solution.

Suggestions within 15 or so (driving) minutes of Adams-Morgan/Mount Pleasant gratefuly accepted.

have you tried temperance hall in petworth? the wings are quite good.

Welcome. We actually have Temperance Hall on the short list of try-outs, though not necessarily for wings.

The main problem with places posessing higher ambitions than your basic wing shack is that they tend to depart from the classic, disgusting, oil/margarine/hot sauce combo that we seek, tarting up the wings with spices or or other flavors in an attempt to differentiate themselves or improve on the original. But we will check them out.

Also, "real" restaurants don't deliver.

(Mrs. B hates it when this thread re-activates itself because then all I want for dinner is wings and a sleazy movie) :)

Welcome to DR.com acquamatta! I have been meaning to get over to Temperance Hall as Rye Whiskey has quite an affinity for me. The knowledge that the wings are trip worthy makes a visit inevitable. Do you live in the Petworth neighborhood? There are a number of spots over there that piqued my curiousity.

The main problem with places posessing higher ambitions than your basic wing shack is that they tend to depart from the classic, disgusting, oil/margarine/hot sauce combo that we seek, tarting up the wings with spices or or other flavors in an attempt to differentiate themselves or improve on the original. But we will check them out.

:)

I actually just tried these tonight. Our power was out and we wanted a quick meal somewhere close to home (but far enough to still have electricity).

They were really excellent. Maybe the hottest wings I've had in DC, but still not much more than that classic hot sauce and butter combo. I'm not from Buffalo, but I will definitely head back to Temperance for these wings again.

Even if you don't like wings, a trip to Temperance Hall is worth it. They've got really good burgers and garlic fries. It's still bar food, but it's good bar food.

I also had the wings at Temperance Hall last night, and I give them my rating of "Best Wings Outside of Buffalo", tied with some wings I had from a random bowling alley outside of Camden, NJ. The wings are very hot and tasty, and my only complaint is that they aren't quite as crisp as I prefer. The manager told me that their wings are so good because they are brined.

I'll also put in a plug for the other offerings at Temperance Hall--I live around the corner from there and hadn't gotten around to trying the wings because their burgers, grilled cheese, and other offerings are also excellent.

PS I love the Bills and chicken wings - Grover how were the wings at Buffalo Nite?
Oh, man! All the tickets were sold out. More than 1000 tickets! The room was packed. Probably we need bigger room next year. Short speech were done by famous people like Chuck Schumer and Mark Russell. I had wings (spicy and non-spicy), Wardynski Polish Sausage, a beef on weck and some sponge candy. It was the first time for me to taste the original buffalo food and the food was great. The spicy wing was spicier than I expected. I had to mix eating spicy and non-spicy wings because it was so hot. Also the sausage was memorable. I will definately go there next year again and have more sausages.

My colleague Tony has a strategy to enjoy food there like this: 1. Go line up early. 2. Bring zip-lock bags to take food home.

I will post about Annual Buffalo Nite next year when they start selling tickets. Hope some DR people can join.

The Chicken Wings at Temperance Hall ourstanding. In fact, we loved Temperance Hall so much we went twice this weekend, once with Heather and once with our 13-year-old. There is nothing about this place that we do not love with the possible exception of the dwarf-height pool-table. Good burgers, excellent wings, disgusting fries, well-turned decore, a waiter who thanked us for playing Cat Stevens on the juke (and busted Nora as the source of the Destiny's Child selection). A little pricier than I'd like, but, you can't have everthing.

Has anyone ever been to Wingstop? There's one right next to my house and I'm always getting coupons in the mail for the place. It's a chain, but I'm willing to overlook that if the wings are good enough.
Anything affliated with Troy Aikman has to be bad.

h8hof06.jpg

I love the deep-fried wings from Oohs and Aahs.

Has anyone ever been to Wingstop? There's one right next to my house and I'm always getting coupons in the mail for the place. It's a chain, but I'm willing to overlook that if the wings are good enough.

I stop in for lunch occasionally. They're not good, but not bad. Your basic deep-fried wing. They offer a plethora of sauces, but since hot is the only way to have wings I get that. The sauce is from a jug, but not too bad. They fill the need for wings, but I wouldn't go out of my way to go to Wingstop.

Braved, and I mean braved, the food last night at Stetson's. I was going to write what I thought the Buffalo wings actually tasted like, but thought it best just to say: If you must order wings, stick with the BBQ sauce...

Also, the cheese fries were like reheated frozen fries covered in shredded cheese and put in the microwave for too long. Greasy, tasteless, and not even any guilty pleasure.

This is too bad, because I really like Stetson's. I'm not going to give up hope that somehow, someday, their kitchen might come around... But until then, I'll try to stick with the beer, thanks.

Took the board's advice and made the trek to Temperance Hall just for the wings. They were exactly as advertised, perfectly fried and wet, but not too wet. The spice was what I would consider somewhere between medium and hot, enough to make your eyes sweat, but not so bad you had to take a break. The only possible detractor was the lack of enough celery and no carrots, which is a must for the perfect wing experience IMO. A couple of ales and a marvelous fish sandwich made for a perfect night. The wings alone would certainly make me return.

The "Cajun Style" wings at Timberlake's are made with a spicy dry rub, and while they aren't Buffalo-style, they're still really good.

Johnny's 1/2 Shell does a dry rub on their chicken wings. The dressing as side was like not very thick and tasted like a mix between ranch and tahini sauce. They were pretty good. Wouldn't have thought to try them but we forgot that one member of our dinner party doesn't eat seafood.

I'd be interested to hear what others think of them. That was the first dry rub wing I've eaten.

Saturday night it was CityZen and six or nine or maybe 83 courses of swell stuff with matching wine and then one of those "what the fuck were we thinking" dessert courses of Mersault at Bistro du Coin and Bombay & tonics at Timberlakes until closing so it was clearly time for another foray into the world of wings this Sunday afternoon, delivered from the most recent establishment to shove a four-color flyer into my mailbox, Washington Pizza (1353-1335 Randoph St. NW 202-541-9800).

Not bad, but again kind of a health food wing, seemingly more grilled than deep fried. My mind was telling me that that these were clearly healthier than the dive bar wing variety that I have been hunting for, possibly even "better" in terms of meaty, non-greasy wholesomeness, but my heart said they just weren't down to snuff. I hit them with about half a bottle of Frank's and my own homemade blue cheese dressing (I use only the finest Treasure Cave brand pre-crumbled blue cheese on top of Wishbone dressing) and they got them up to pretty satisfactory, especially once Cooley shook of those two tacklers and went 66 yards with five minutes and change remaining.

Not quite up there with Zieboldt's white truffle pizza or the damn fine duck I was served Thanksgiving day, but tasty -- and they deliver.

Temperance Hall's wings continue to amaze and delight. Meaty, correct amount of perfect sauce, generous vat o'blue cheese dressing, hangover preventative...the only thing that would make them perfect would be a more generous portion of carrots and celery.

In addition to their other fine qualities they even seem to make better songs come up on the jukebox. :P

Temperance Hall's wings continue to amaze and delight. Meaty, correct amount of perfect sauce, generous vat o'blue cheese dressing, hangover preventative...the only thing that would make them perfect would be a more generous portion of carrots and celery.

In addition to their other fine qualities they even seem to make better songs come up on the jukebox. :P

What are you, a proto-vegetarian?

Anybody ever eat at or get delivery from Cluck-U Chicken? The one on Georgia Ave, specifically. Is it any good? What do you get? Having a chicken wing craving... Thanks!
Since it's a chain... I used to eat them fairly frequently in my college days. The sauce is of a more thick and chunky variety, less vinegary than conventional wings. Not crisp. Some of the spicier ones reminded me more of Chinese food than the typical wings I love. The fried chicken has a sweetness that comes from honey and is okay. A lot of their stuff I find to be an acquired taste.

The wings at Solly's were pretty solid, but pricey at over $1/wing. I tried the hot wings from Comet last night. Also not a conventional type with a sort of honey-soy glaze (heavier on the honey, pretty light on the soy) with red pepper flakes. The horseradish cream sauce to go with it is to die for. Pretty yummy. Baked though, so none of the nice crispy skinned bits from broiled or fried wings.

I am curious to try the Wings to Go in NE. They're another chain, but I remember nearly dying from some of their suicide wings at the one in Providence. The ones I had from the one in Beltsville/Greenbelt or thereabouts weren't anywhere as good as the Providence ones. Hopefully the NE location is better.

Johnny's 1/2 Shell does a dry rub on their chicken wings. The dressing as side was like not very thick and tasted like a mix between ranch and tahini sauce. They were pretty good. Wouldn't have thought to try them but we forgot that one member of our dinner party doesn't eat seafood.

I'd be interested to hear what others think of them. That was the first dry rub wing I've eaten.

I'm a fan and have been eating lots of these at happy hours lately.

Hard Times' wings are not bad, and I like Urban BBQ's wings too.

Hard Times has a "cheap wing night" on Wednesdays. IIRC, it is half price. We sometimes get a large group together in Alexandria and order dozens and dozens, with pitchers of beer.

Hard Times has a "cheap wing night" on Wednesdays. IIRC, it is half price. We sometimes get a large group together in Alexandria and order dozens and dozens, with pitchers of beer.
I believe Hard Times wing deals vary from location to location on both date and price. College Park wing nights were on Mondays, and when I last went were 25 cents each. I forget which day it is in Clarendon, and I believe Bethesda might be Wednesdays. Kinda goofy.

Just had a request for buffalo wings, and am drawing a blank. My favorite two wings in town are Comet Ping Pong (will be slammed tonight) and Bombay Curry Company (was just there earlier this week). I went to Urban Burger this afternoon, so that's out too. I've never tried the ones at Johnny's Half Shell, but I fear they'll be too spicy for the Mattster. Likewise Bon Chon. Hungry child on hand. Refuse to go fast food. If you're not a member but have an idea, please email me at donrocks@donrockwell.com. Help!

Just had a request for buffalo wings, and am drawing a blank. My favorite two wings in town are Comet Ping Pong (will be slammed tonight) and Bombay Curry Company (was just there earlier this week). I went to Urban Burger this afternoon, so that's out too. I've never tried the ones at Johnny's Half Shell, but I fear they'll be too spicy for the Mattster. Likewise Bon Chon. Hungry child on hand. Refuse to go fast food. If you're not a member but have an idea, please email me at donrocks@donrockwell.com. Help!

The general tsao's chicken wings at the Source Lounge are sensational

Southside 815's are pretty good and (as I've posted elsewhere) Hard Times Cafe's are very good - esp. the chili lime wings, grilled. South Austin Grill's (at least in Alexandria) are also good, but not true Buffalo wings - a dry rub then grilled. (The +1 votes for Hard Times ;) )