Just had a request for buffalo wings, and am drawing a blank. My favorite two wings in town are Comet Ping Pong (will be slammed tonight) and Bombay Curry Company (was just there earlier this week). I went to Urban Burger this afternoon, so that's out too. I've never tried the ones at Johnny's Half Shell, but I fear they'll be too spicy for the Mattster. Likewise Bon Chon. Hungry child on hand. Refuse to go fast food. If you're not a member but have an idea, please email me at donrocks@donrockwell.com. Help!
Buffalo Wing University in the heart of Fairfax City. It's a college hangout. I've never been there but it's supposed to be good, if by "good" you mean OK for a college hangout deep in the heart of Fairfax City. Website.

Southside 815's are pretty good and (as I've posted elsewhere) Hard Times Cafe's are very good - esp. the chili lime wings, grilled. South Austin Grill's (at least in Alexandria) are also good, but not true Buffalo wings - a dry rub then grilled. (The +1 votes for Hard Times ;) )

Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a winner!

If I were alone, I would have surely gone to Hooters The Source, but parking and everything just seemed like a rigmarole (my favorite pasta, btw), so Hard Times Cafe it was.

They let us do a 50-50 order of Chili Lime and Honey BBQ, both grilled. The Honey BBQ was as expected: cloying. But the Chili Lime wings were the best thing I've ever eaten at Hard Times BY FAR, and ordering them grilled was the way to go. They were beautifully spiced, well-cooked, not at all gloppy, and bordering on being great. Who knew?

Thanks everyone for the quick responses!

NB Hard Times' hot sauce has a warning on the label that says not to rub your eyes or touch your private parts after using it, unless you wash your hands first. It actually says "private parts."

Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a winner!

If I were alone, I would have surely gone to Hooters The Source, but parking and everything just seemed like a rigmarole (my favorite pasta, btw), so Hard Times Cafe it was.

They let us do a 50-50 order of Chili Lime and Honey BBQ, both grilled. The Honey BBQ was as expected: cloying. But the Chili Lime wings were the best thing I've ever eaten at Hard Times BY FAR, and ordering them grilled was the way to go. They were beautifully spiced, well-cooked, not at all gloppy, and bordering on being great. Who knew?

Thanks everyone for the quick responses!

NB Hard Times' hot sauce has a warning on the label that says not to rub your eyes or touch your private parts after using it, unless you wash your hands first. It actually says "private parts."

There's reasons they call it 'Hard Times.'

Just had a request for buffalo wings, and am drawing a blank. My favorite two wings in town are Comet Ping Pong (will be slammed tonight) and Bombay Curry Company (was just there earlier this week). I went to Urban Burger this afternoon, so that's out too. I've never tried the ones at Johnny's Half Shell, but I fear they'll be too spicy for the Mattster. Likewise Bon Chon. Hungry child on hand. Refuse to go fast food. If you're not a member but have an idea, please email me at donrocks@donrockwell.com. Help!

POSH Restaurant has Guava BBQ wings with a gorgonzola cole slaw..

POSH Restaurant has Guava BBQ wings with a gorgonzola cole slaw..

My 10 year old also gets cravings for wings, but I can't imagine how I could get him to eat this.

In fact, I can't imagine convincing MYSELF to eat this.

P.S. Don - my son loves Bon Chon. Order half and half - after knocking back a spicy one, cool it off with one of the non-spicy garlic ones.

Do tell

I don't measure, so you'll just have to use your judgement or find a rub recipe that uses similar spices. But here's what I do:

Rinse your wings and use an excess of paper towels to dry them off. I don't bother with clipping the tips or separating the joints. Throw them in a big ziplock. In a small mixing bowl mix up the following spices in approximate descending order of volume:

kosher salt

ground pepper

dried thyme

whatever paprika(s) you have

cayenne pepper

Dump the spices in the bag and coat your wings a la Shake&Bake. You want enough for a heavy coating. Instead of, or in addition to paprika, you could use chile powder, and maybe some cumin too (freshly toasted and ground seeds of course). Hell, use the pot seeds stuck in the fold of your vinyl copy of Dark Side of the Moon if that's your thing. Grill em up without any concern about burning your wingtips. Make a bleu cheese dressing if you'd like. Brine em if you feel like going through the trouble, but I don't imagine it'd make much difference.

I've been thinking about buying a bunch of turkey wings next time and calling them rhino wings or something.

I've been thinking about buying a bunch of turkey wings next time and calling them rhino wings or something.

Stick it to the people of Buffalo, and call them Rochester wings! (They're an hour apart, and Buffalo is bigger in population by about a third...)

Stick it to the people of Buffalo, and call them Rochester wings! (They're an hour apart, and Buffalo is bigger in population by about a third...)

I feel terrible for all those who've never sampled a true Buffalo-style chicken wing. There's only two cooking instructions (deep fry until CRISPY, then coat in just enough sauce not to make them soggy), yet no one outside of Western New York can seem to accomplish this, sadly. I remember people talking about Temperance Hall serving authentic ones, but then they changed ownership. Is the new incarnation open yet, and are they still cooking them the same?

Sincerely,

A former Buffalo resident (1976-1999)

There's only two cooking instructions (deep fry until CRISPY, then coat in just enough sauce not to make them soggy), yet no one outside of Western New York can seem to accomplish this, sadly.

Try Bon Chon - the wings may be more Buyeo than Buffalo, but they meet your two criteria.

Has anyone tried Chicken House in Annandale? I have not (it's open surprisingly late on weekends - something like 2 AM).

Try Bon Chon - the wings may be more Buyeo than Buffalo, but they meet your two criteria.

Sensible idea. While I've never tried it, many Buffalo ex-patriate friends of mine order wings from Chinese take-outs because they use similar fry techniques. And although I've been called a blasphemer by some purists, I've always been open to different sauces as long as the wing was cooked properly.

Pho Hot in Annandale serves plump, moist wings Asian-style, without sauce. I've always had them served so hot from the fryer that we need to let them cool a bit. You could douse them in rooster sauce at the table next time you're satisfying your craving for pho and wings or just bring your favorite sauce. They also have one of the best phos in the area, so it is an all-around winner.

The wings situation in DC is dire. I'm currently in a deep, deep funk because I may be starting a new job next door to Union Station, and the last good wing place in DC is no longer there. Wingo's, in Georgetown, puts out an edible product, as does the Looking Glass Lounge. Otherwise, the pickings range from third- to fifth-rate, as far as I can tell. If you find anything -- and someone reliable needs to check out the Hooters in Chinatown -- let me know.

Go to Johnny's Half Shell for great wings near Union Station. Not quite the usual formula, but probably my favorite wings in town.

Thanks for all the ideas. Alas, they are all a pretty healthy hike away from me. Any ideas for Alexandria/Arlington?

Also, Hooters wings absolutely do not count. God those things (both versions) are fricking disgusting.

I agree with you about Hooters wings - yuck!

That said, in Alexandria, I do like the wings at Southside 815, Hard Times (chili-lime, grilled), and (dare I say) Clyde's at Mark Center. Austin Grill's aren't bad either (or didn't used to be) but they are definitely not "Buffalo" wings - dry rub, mesquite grilled.

VERY non-traditional, about as far from Buffalo-style wings as you can get, but I will throw in that the chicken wings at Spice Xing in Rockville are freaking fabulous.

Seconded. Not at all similar to Buffalo-style, but absolutely the best wings I've ever had. They've got a really unique combination of spices that yields a slow, escalating burn, along with a ton of flavor.

my favorite (don't know about the best) is actually served the the hot food bar at shopper (the one in Lorton). It is a non-sauced spicy dredge variety. A lot of wing fans will not call this buffalo wing as there is no sauce but like I said, it is my favorite. Would highly recommend it.

I've seen wings on the bar menu at Masa 14, and although I have not tried them, I have been fortunate to taste Antonio's fried chicken at the last two DR spring picnics. If the wings are on a par with Antonio's fried chicken, then I suggest seeking them out.

Having leisurely lunched, lapping up wing juice, i can attest to the wings at the Half Shell being solid (and as memorable as when i used to cook there... oh my, almost 10 years ago...!): flavorful, slightly piquant rub, nice char (how i do miss that old wood grill from Pst though!), the requiste creamy sauce, in this case the verdant mayo-sour cream progeny known as green goddess. An all round nice dish, Buffalo be damned.

Due to its proximity to my house, and my penchant for the heart-wrenching (meaning throwing a wrench into to mechanics of one's heart, not tearful) cuisine of Ooh's and Aah's, they too offer what I would deem as above average wings. Simply floured, fried and sauced with your choice of 5 or 6. I aint wading into the infested waters of the authenticity of highly regionalized cuisines, here (nor, do I suspect, does the chef at Oooh's and Aah's) so I will merely say:

I have ordered the wings "Buffalo."

I have enjoyed them: Crisp enough crust, appropiately hot sauce, not gloppy nor all piss and vinegar.

That's it.

Ps: Ive ventured into the BBQ wings with a similar amount of success: not as spicy but balanced out by a more complex sauce; I've yet to, and dont think I care to, try the "Teriyaki."

The NCAA's have me on a chicken wing kick.  The wings at Wilson Tavern (soon to move somewhere else) were pretty darn good.  Juicy.   yummmm....hmmm...plus Duke lost.  OTOH Wings at Velocity Grill (Courthouse) were terribly dry.  never to order them again.  (also...is V5 in clarendon ever going to change name and theme per the news a while ago?)

I love wings. If I could eat them everyday and not drop dead, I would. In my hood, I like the buffalo wings at The Big Board. The general Andrew's ones are too sweet for me. For delivery, the Angelico ones from U street are ok. They're not fried, which is good because I tend to order them when the wife's out of town, liquidly befuddled at 1 AM. They send them with that crappy ken's steakhouse dressing though. I'm all for crappy dressings, but those packets are airline food. Last time, I had some homemade Caesar dressing which worked out pretty well. Aw yeah.

PS, my buddy says the wings at District smokehouse are the bomb.

• Like 3

Hard Times in Clarendon used to have the best wings when they grilled them and used bigger wings. Now they're fried and smaller.

Know of any good places to get grilled wings but not smoked?

Comet Ping Pong (call to make sure they're grilled, but I think they are). Warning: they're served with scotch bonnet pepper sauce, or were.

Bombay Curry Company used to have some of the best wings in town, and they might have been grilled (or pan-fried) - they had Indian spicing, and I'm wondering if Balraj could clear this up - they might be "buffet only."

Water and Wall reportedly had great wings, but I don't see them on the online menu now - Tim Ma or Joey Hernandez, can you chime in?

Bombay Curry Company - wings were were charcoal broiled on a skewer in a clay pit oven called the 'Tandoor'. It was a simple marination of ginger, garlic, Garam Masala ( an Indian spice mix blend, which was ground in house) etc.

Hope to serve you some soon.

incidentally, yesterday a friend mentioned the wings at Bon Chon with so much passion that I plan to head that way today.

Hard Times, Alexandria had some great wings.It used to take like forever (as unlike some other places they did not have them pre baked sitting in the cooler to be flash fried) but once you got them you were in wing heaven.

The hottest I had were the Atomic Wings at Wing Stop

Bombay Curry Company - wings were were charcoal broiled on a skewer in a clay pit oven called the 'Tandoor'. It was a simple marination of ginger, garlic, Garam Masala ( an Indian spice mix blend, which was ground in house) etc.

Hope to serve you some soon.

incidentally, yesterday a friend mentioned the wings at Bon Chon with so much passion that I plan to head that way today.

Thank you, Balraj. Any idea when we might be seeing these wings again?

I believe the Ballston Bon Chon Chicken is a step down from the Annandale Original (I haven't been to any others). The drumsticks, for example, are nuclear in size. Although the people who work there are very friendly, this is not the Bon Chon I remember from several years ago. It's still very good, but it may not blow you away - just adjust your expectations, and you shouldn't be disappointed - please let us know.

Yes it's true, the creme fraiche wings were taken off the menu here at Water & Wall, Maple Ave still has them and will always have them.  They get run here at Water & Wall from time to time but not a permanent menu item.  Just trying to get some new dishes tried out and separate the menus a little, only so much room for so much product here, tiny kitchen.

Tim

• Like 1

The Bon Chon wings, this Sunday, were OK but certainly not 'blew me away'. Got half soy garlic n half spicy. They were crisp and stayed crisp even after refrigerating leftovers and reheating. My takeout order was ready in 10 minutes so I suspect they keep them half done. If I were nitpicking, I would say they were overly greasy, perhaps low frying temp.

Now I have to head to SpiceXing, to try Sudhir's.

I stopped at Courthaus Social, the restaurant that has replaced the old Velocity 5 in Arlington.  Its a beer garden set up.  It looks very friendly.  ...and now to the WINGS...

They have a variety of preparation styles; traditional and quite a few variations.  On a recommendation I tried the Haus Grill style, which is actually done in a Peruvian grilled chicken style.

These were incredibly juicy.  Exceptionally so. They clearly don't use the full complement of spices that go with wonderful Peruvian styled chicken...but the combination of grilled exterior, minimal spice but extraordinary level of jucyness was terrific.  I'll order them again.  A different style of wings...but a very tasty variation.

Here's something I posted in this thread about the Belle Haven branch of Del Ray Pizza.

"We started with the smoked chicken wings with red rooster sauce (mild, spicy, red rooster, and diesel were the degrees of hot sauce, but they also had Cajun, Old Bay, BBQ, teriyaki and lemon pepper). At first I thought the sauce was not at all spicy, but it had a bit of a delayed reaction and really delivered in the end. There was a nice smoky flavor to the wings which set them apart from a lot of other wings."