Notti Bianche, near The Kennedy Center, in the Former Nectar Space - Closed

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I only have one word for NB....WOW! My +1 and our dining out friend threw ourselves on the good graces of Danny Boylen for dinner Friday night. I asked for three courses with a complementary wine pairing. Danny took us seriously. When we arrived he told us that in the staff meeting before opening for the evening, he had told everyone of our request and asked them to plan the meal. OHMIGAWD!!! it was wonderful Even though everything was exquisite, there are some standouts...the risotto with squid ink was creamy, flavorful and disappeared quickly; my +1's diver scallops were everything you would want in a scallop, marvelous flavor, tenderness and a great mouth feel.

A wonderful dinner and if I may commit a 'heresy' as good as anything we've had at Restaurant Eve.

The service and the food at Notti Bianchi both are top notch. After too much wine in the bar at the Happy Hour, six of us decided to dine. When I sat down at the table I comments that there was a wonderful aroma of fresh basil in the air and wondered what dish it was coming from. When my first course of goat cheese frittata with tomatoes and "torn" basil arrived, I knew I had ordered right. The scent of fresh basil is all encompassing. My main course was a full order of the chestnut papparadelle. The papparadelle provides a great delivery vehicle for the pork ragu. There is a reason why they call it a "full" order: that's the way you feel after you eat it. No room for desert.

Danny Boylan clearly worked somewhere else before NB. The man is a consummate professional.

Thank you Starfish, and our bartender (whose name I unfortunately never got) and the rest of the staff at Notti Bianche for calmly welcoming over two dozen of us (plus babies) when we arrived for happy hour on a Friday evening.  (We were – ahem- a *tad* over the capacity limit.)   Good times.

the wednesday through saturday bartender is thom dodge and we are very happy to have him on board.

it was very nice to put faces to screen names for so many people, and to see old friends as well. we had a blast hosting the happy hour. as some of you know, all of the discounted wines were courtesy of the inventory inherited from nectar. the nectar gang had great palettes and a great selection of wines. unfortunately much of it is incompatible with our current concept.

paul, aka crescentfresh, suggested that he would volunteer for the difficult task of helping to consume it. thinking that there might be one or two more people out there willing to accept this mission, we have declared the last friday of every month "legacy libations night" where wines will be offered at pretty steep discounts in the bar. for now it will be open to the public, however, should enough rockwellians wish to come, we will happily close down the bar for the dr.com crowd.

rocks - i have cross posted this in the on a whim thread, please feel free to delete which ever one is most appropriate.

Edited by starfish

IIRC, I failed to note that at Friday's happy hour, I didn't just drink well, I ate well too. A few of us snacked on that delicious fritatta. I agree with JG that it packs some basil-y goodness. Love it. While one friend enjoyed the bruschetta, I had my own half-portion of the gnocchi which Chef Chittum was kind enough to serve topped with the pork ragu from the chesnut pappardelle.

I really like NB's gnocchi. They aren't really comparable to those much-lauded gnocchi at Palena in that they really are a different animal. And on their own terms, I really like 'em - longer and somewhat firmer (and yet still on the light end of the spectrum).

For dessert, I had the gelato trio, minus butternut squash, plus caramel. I'm sure the butternut squash is good, but I really wanted to try the chocolate (I'm forgetting its specifics) and the tiramisu. They were great, however my favorite remains the caramel. I could eat gallons.

For dessert, I had the gelato trio, minus butternut squash, plus caramel. I'm sure the butternut squash is good, but I really wanted to try the chocolate (I'm forgetting its specifics) and the tiramisu. They were great, however my favorite remains the caramel. I could eat gallons.

I couldn't agree more with this entire paragraph. I did taste the butternut squash gelato. And it was good. But I think the other three make an excellent trio. And the caramel is simply unbelievable :lol:

Oh, and the third gelato was chocolate amaretti

(Edited to remove the dreaded triple-space)

Edited by NewFoodie

The service and the food at Notti Bianchi both are top notch.  After too much wine in the bar at the Happy Hour, six of us decided to dine.  When I sat down at the table I comments that there was a wonderful aroma of fresh basil in the air and wondered what dish it was coming from.  When my first course of goat cheese frittata with tomatoes and "torn" basil arrived, I knew I had ordered right.  The scent of fresh basil is all encompassing.  My main course was a full order of the chestnut papparadelle.  The papparadelle provides a great delivery vehicle for the pork ragu.  There is a reason why they call it a "full" order:  that's the way you feel after you eat it.  No room for desert. 

Danny Boylan clearly worked somewhere else before NB.  The man is a consummate professional.

I am addicted the the papparadelle and will be back for more, thanks to Danny, on Sat night. On Monday I took the cooking class at the Casa D'Italia at Holy Rosary RC Church. The director Olga apparently has been guilting great chefs in Washington and Baltimore to teach a class there for many years. Some of their past and current performers are Cesare from Tosca, Ricardo from Sotto Sopra in Baltimore, Roberto - Galileo, Fabio - Maestro and many more. If anyone sees Tony Chittum tell him I am going to turn in his name in to Olga to get him on their Spring Cirriculum. Heaven is just a meal away!

In need of advice:  what is the best way to get from the Kennedy Center to NB?  other than by car, which I'm planning on leaving at the KC.  Is it just a short walk up NH Ave, and if so how many minutes?  Is there a bus line or shuttle, or should I call a cab?  Thanks.

It's a very short walk - no more than 10 minutes (at the very most) depending on the traffic lights.

If it's cold, you can take the KC shuttle to the Foggy Bottom Metro and walk over from there - don't know that this will save you very much walking. You can do the same on the way back to the car. They run every 10-15 minutes and are usually waiting at the Metro and KC . You can't miss them - burgundy mini-buses with Kennedy Center written on the side.

It's a very short walk - no more than 10 minutes (at the very most) depending on the traffic lights.

It would take less time to walk than to take the bus to Foggy Bottom and back track. From KenCen, Notti Bianche is .3 miles, or about 3+ blocks. Here is the map. As you can see, it's just about ideal for before or after something at the KenCen.

In need of advice:  what is the best way to get from the Kennedy Center to NB?  other than by car, which I'm planning on leaving at the KC.  Is it just a short walk up NH Ave, and if so how many minutes?  Is there a bus line or shuttle, or should I call a cab?  Thanks.

Answering my own question, just in case any of you find it useful:

When the restaurant called to confirm the res, I asked what they recommend. They are happy to valet park your car, at half the price of KC parking, and you can leave it there until after the show.

done/done

When the restaurant called to confirm the res, I asked what they recommend.  They are happy to valet park your car, at half the price of KC parking, and you can leave it there until after the show.

And one final bit of info: it's a leisurely ten minute walk. In 3.5" stiletto heels, too. :lol:

Had a business lunch at NB yesterday afternoon. For lunch I had the trio of bruschetta and ricotta gnocchi. The bruschetta was nicely presented, with the shrimp with white bean probably my personal favorite. The ricotta gnocchi was definitely the highlight of my meal. Very nicely sauced with trumpet mushrooms, mascarpone cream and herbed bread crumbs I had to fight to keep it away from my companion. The gnocchi was perfectly al dente and presented a burst of flavor. My companion had the mixed green salad and the diver scallops. I've already noted how good the scallops are. If you haven't had them, you are missing possibly the best scallops you've ever eaten. Tender and juicy and extremely flavorful.

Dessert was the pear poached in port. I LIKE this a lot...a nice finish for lunch. Cappucino and coffee and back to work...made a very nice interlude in a stressful day.

paul, aka crescentfresh, suggested that he would volunteer for the difficult task of helping to consume it.  thinking that there might be one or two more people out there willing to accept this mission, we have declared the last friday of every month "legacy libations night" where wines will be offered at pretty steep discounts in the bar.  for now it will be open to the public, however, should enough rockwellians wish to come, we will happily close down the bar for the dr.com crowd.

I wish to note that February 24 will be the next LLN at NB. The food is awesome too, and it's been weeks now without their pasta. Withdrawal.

Edited by CrescentFresh

I am always "Johnny Come Lately" on this board but I visited Notti Bianche for the first time tonight, blame it on the suburbs. I am so jealous of you living nearer to town.

Between my hub and I, we shared the Goat Chees Frittata, The Romaine Salad with White Sardines, Chestnut Linguine, Sopresetta Risotto, and the Pork Rack. The Frittata was good and I loved the fresh tasting tomatoes. The Linguine was delicious but the Risotto was outstanding. The Garlic White Beans that came with the pork rack were awesome. We also had a Pannetone Bread Pudding with Caramel Gelato. While the bread pudding was oaky, the gelato was out of this world. We also had a very nice Barolo at a sweet price.

It was nice to meet Danny after reading all his posts. He and his servers were wonderful hosts. How I wish I had a place like this in my neighborhood. I look forward to returning. Thank you Danny!

Edited by RaisaB

My boyfriend and I had an enjoyable Valentine's meal at NB last night. It was my third or fourth meal there, and his first. Very pleased to note that Valentine's Day was decidedly not Amateur Night in any sense of the phrase.

Although I was initially mildly disappointed to find that NB was offering a prix fixe menu for the night, I should have known better. I need to trust that Chef Chittum knows what he's doing.

Highlights for me included the wine pairings (just perfect), the truffled risotto fritter offered as an amuse (I hope this becomes an appetizer full-time) and those short-rib angaloti (juicier and more flavorful than last time). We also enjoyed lobster tortaloni (him) and quail with polenta and a foie gras sauce (me), with both of us choosing the tenderloin for our entree.

I also continue to be impressed with the service - our server was at once welcoming and slightly formal. How could the service not be great with starfish as their fearless leader? :lol:

I enjoyed my boyfriend's chocolate torte more than my vanilla panna cotta. YMMV.

For the time being, the restaurant's Valentine's Day menu is still online.

My boyfriend and I will be going to Notti Bianche for the first time this Friday and can not wait because I have read so many wonderful things about the restaurant here in this chat. I am looking forward to ordering a fish dish there, but the only one I saw mentioned in this chat is the cod, which I didnt see on their menu. Has anyone else had a seafood dish there that you really enjoyed and recommend?

My boyfriend and I will be going to Notti Bianche for the first time this Friday and can not wait because I have read so many wonderful things about the restaurant here in this chat. I am looking forward to ordering a fish dish there, but the only one I saw mentioned in this chat is the cod, which I didnt see on their menu. Has anyone else had a seafood dish there that you really enjoyed and recommend?

the cod is no longer on the menu. the menu changed at the beginning of the week. it can be found here new notti dinner menu.

We had an outstanding time at Notti last night. Great pasta, a much nicer environment than had expected based on Tom S.'s critique, and Danny is a star.

Danny greeted us and made us feel at home from the start. The man knows his menu, his wines, and is a real charming pro.

We started with the octopus and a half portion of the gnocchi. The octopus is charred with a smoky flavor to it and more tender than we'd ever had before. It came chilled with lovely side pairings of celery salad and white bean salad. It was a great compliment to the much richer gnocchi. The gnocchi smelled so good we spent the first couple minutes it was on the table just inhaling its delicious scent. Though deemed "ricotta gnocchi" the prominent flavors were the rich masarpone cream and trumpet mushrooms with a nice blend of herbs. It was delicious. We BYO'ed, but took Danny's excellent wine pairing advice and had a glass of chardonay to accompany it, which cut perfectly through the dish's rich flavors.

For entrees we tried the swordfish and chestnut pappardelle and enjoyed both. The swordfish was a great piece of fish, simply prepared with citrus, fennel, olives and caper berries alongside. We'd never had caper berries before and they were a treat. The fish was slightly overdone, but was fresh enough to overcome it and had perfect grill marks on each side. The papardelle was great and we were glad to have a full portion of it even though we couldn't finish it.

We were too full to try anything off the desert menu, but were having such a good time that we decide to splurge on the tasting flight of 5 Graham's ports. We're no port connoisseurs, but Danny sure is and it was worth ordering them if only for the education he gave us! Of the group, we were most enamoured with the 1980, followed closely by the 30 year. Of the less expensive ones, the 6 grape was very good and would probably be what we'll order next visit as we usually hold ourselves to a tighter budget.

Overall we had a wonderful, leisurely evening. We ended up holding the table for over 3 hours, (no one was waiting for it) and never once felt the least bit rushed or ignored. The staff did a great job of sensing when to check with us and when to just let us relax and enjoy, which we did a lot of. Many thanks.

One of the most fashionable food and wine pairings I’ve had in a long time:

2004 Akakies (Rose) with Tony Chittum’s risotto of the day, beet risotto with English peas. It’s not just the colors that are vibrant and outstanding, though.

The dish stands up beautifully to the rose, earthy and texturally engaging, just a really refreshing change-up to go with the new season. If you don’t believe me, go get the half portion for, what?, $9 and the rose for $10. Eat it slowly. Because it’s better with every bite.

It's made with chicken stock, says Chittum. Awwh, poor vegetarians.

I do love NB. Had a great meal at the bar there with two friends, both first timers, last week. They were thrilled with our meal, just as I was (although the delightful Danny wasn't present while we were there).

We started with the fritatta to share given that we all ordered reasonably filling entrees. Delicious as always. I have a hard time resisting the hangar steak because I know if will be delicious and perfectly cooked. Two of us enjoyed that. In lieu of the meat orgy offered in February (hangar steak plus short rib angoloti), the dish now comes with potatoes, not the gorgonzola risotto cake mentioned on the online menu. The third ordered a full portion of chesnut pappardelle. Delicious, but intimidating in its massiveness. I adore pasta, but I can't imagine eating more than the half portion size.

No room for dessert that night, not even the oh-so-wonderful gelatos.

I wish, though, that either the short rib angoloti with chick peas or the previous wonderful creamy pasta dish were offered. I miss them still. <_<

The main thing I took away from my first visit to Notti Bianche: There is no reason to mess around with half-orders of risotto.  No reason.

Shogun, I couldn't agree more! There's no reason even to mess around with a full order! One is not enough. Make it two or three, especially when there's belly involved.

Dinners like the one my dad and I had last night at Notti Bianche make me glad I found all you fabulous Rockwellians. What a great place--the food, the wine, the service, all of it.

I loved the bruschetta to start, especially the shrimp, which were in my mind the taste and quality that Jaleo's garlic shimp were aspiring to be. The frittata was an inspired mix of flavors; serving it cold was a nice surprise. The monkfish just barely missed the mark for me, but I won't deduct points since I really admire the chance it took with such different textures and flavor combinations; "bitter," I think, is not a flavor you find in dishes at restaurants that are treading water. A bite of dad's hangar steak (or was it flat iron?) confirmed that they can even make meat and starch interesting and delicious.

I LOVE the listing of Liquid Desserts. I'm usually too stuffed for more food after a nice meal, but I do like an after-dinner drink. Generally, one's stuck with a choice of ports and scotches (not that there's anything wrong with ports and scotches!), so it was cool to be able to try something new, and the prosecco-housemade limoncello concoction was a great meal ender.

The service was terrific too. Our server hit that perfect balance between friendliness and professionalism; we never lacked for anything, but she never interrupted us when we didn't need her. And she hooked me up with great wines by the glass throughout the meal.

I will say this: I think they must have spaced out the tables on the banquette since the Post review because I don't think we were too close to our neighbors. The tables were, however, too close to each other for the formal serve-left/clear-right service; a bit too much jostling for my taste every time our or our neighbors' tables needed something.

But no biggie. It was all so good, I just don't care. <_<

Just to note that I was devastated, devastated to show up on NB's door on Monday night after the show, when the kitchen already closed. Serves my lazy arse right for not phoning ahead. So two exquisitely dressed, opera-lovin' ladies, black dresses and pearls and all, had to slum it at BdC, yet again, to enjoy their hanger steak but also to look as out of place as Victoria Secret bikinis in North Dakota winter.

Just to note that I was devastated, devastated to show up on NB's door on Monday night after the show, when the kitchen already closed.  Serves my lazy arse right for not phoning ahead. So two exquisitely dressed, opera-lovin' ladies, black dresses and pearls and all, had to slum it at BdC, yet again, to enjoy their hanger steak but also to look as out of place as Victoria Secret bikinis in North Dakota winter.

Yes, if NB could stay open later they would make a killing off of audience (and cast) members on the make for a late meal or drink. (The week of intense rehearsals before openings at the opera would also find me and a few of my comrades in arts there practically every night.) Alas, as it is, we must make do with the 600 across the street from the KC. Convenience can be deadly.

Just to note that I was devastated, devastated to show up on NB's door on Monday night after the show, when the kitchen already closed.  Serves my lazy arse right for not phoning ahead. So two exquisitely dressed, opera-lovin' ladies, black dresses and pearls and all, had to slum it at BdC, yet again, to enjoy their hanger steak but also to look as out of place as Victoria Secret bikinis in North Dakota winter.

Yes, if NB could stay open later they would make a killing off of audience (and cast) members on the make for a late meal or drink. (The week of intense rehearsals before openings at the opera would also find me and a few of my comrades in arts there practically every night.) Alas, as it is, we must make do with the 600 across the street from the KC. Convenience can be deadly.

i would love to stay open for an extra hour. it is something that i have wanted to change since the day i came aboard. however, it is just not feasible. without commenting about whether dc is or is not a late night dining city, it is about the "voluntary agreement" we signed with the anc to get them to go along with our liquor license application.

the anc insisted upon the current closing hours as a condition of their approval.

so if you would like to enjoy our spring menu (notti's new dinner menu)which debuted yesterday you need to dine before 9:45 sunday - thursday / 10:45 friday and saturday.

p.s. if you give me a call and i still have people in the dining room, i hate letting people go hungry (or overdressed in nadya's case).

FYI...

while i am a big fan of our wine list, if you would like to bring in bottles, the corkage fee is waived for all rockwellians.  when making your reservations please indicate that you will be bring bottles of wine and toasting "to rocks" so we know  who you are.

regards,

danny boylen

[i've heard that a small minority have taken advantage of this privilege by bringing in multiple bottles of cheap plonk. Apparently, someone even left the restaurant to go get more wine when they had finished what they had originally brought. :)

Danny, I think you should feel free to spell out some expectations, guidelines, and limitations.

Cheers,

Rocks]

[i've heard that a small minority have taken advantage of this privilege by bringing in multiple bottles of cheap plonk.  Apparently, someone even left the restaurant to go get more wine when they had finished what they had originally brought.  :)

Danny, I think you should feel free to spell out some expectations, guidelines, and limitations.

Cheers,

Rocks]

Boo. People, please don't exploit one person's generosity so as to blow it for others. Not to impose my morality on others, but leaving to get more seems way over the top and I hope people who bring their own wine remember to be kind to the staff who put in equivalent amounts of effort to open & serve it.

Boo.  People, please don't exploit one person's generosity so as to blow it for others.  Not to impose my morality on others, but leaving to get more seems way over the top and I hope people who bring their own wine remember to be kind to the staff who put in equivalent amounts of effort to open & serve it.

It's not corkage, it's toolage.

Needed a quick dinner last night and NB took care of us quite well, getting us in and out with a tasty meal in about an hour. I enjoyed the duck terrine which hit the spot in a meat-loafy sorta way. The condiments with it were nice too, except for some large, nut-like things that can probably break your teeth. Definitely order the dish, but chew the crunchies with caution. I had the garganelli with sausage meatballs, broccoli rabe and red pepper sauce. The pasta was cooked al dente, the meatballs were meaty and not filler-y, a touch more sauce would have helped the dish. Even better was Black Sheep's raviolini which she graciously gave me a bite of.

Thanks again to everyone at NB. You guys are a treat.

I walked into NB yesterday evening for dinner before rehearsal at the KC. After I ordered my drink (a flawless Negroni), a colleague happened to walk in with similar plans, and we ended up having a very enjoyable meal together.

I started out with the risotto fritters, which had a mildly spicy kick from their red peppers; the additional garnishes of cracked olives and buffalo mozzarella rounded out this antipasto perfectly. My friend had asparagus: fresh, plump spears, carefully peeled, wrapped in prosciutto and served with a poached farm egg and gribiche sauce. I didn't taste it but it looked and sounded (judging from my friend's noises) delicious. Next for me came garganelli served in a light sauce of spicy meatballs and broccoli rabe. Pasta can be done poorly or perfectly, with very little wiggle room in between. The texture and tenderness of NB's approach are always a revelation for me, since this humble staple is so often abused, even in "finer" establishments. Meanwhile, my friend had the linguini with head-on shrimp, and a light garlic sauce. He marveled at the shrimp, which he described as unusually tender and sweet.

Crispy skin sablefish was tender and succulent, not at all overcooked (unlike the swordfish filet I had at NB a few weeks ago). The garnish of caramelized artichoke hearts, onions, and mustard was deeply flavored and mellow but still had a bracing acidity that highlighted the fish to good effect. My friend continued to sing the praises of his lamb steak during our entire walk to the Kennedy Center. It was served with Greek yoghurt, mint, and pine nuts. After tasting it myself I could understand my friend's enthusiasm. The meat, like the quality of the butchering, was first rate, as was the preparation.

Our wine was a bottle of Tizzonero Montepulciano d'Umbria, which went beautifully with everything and was also the perfect way to warm up to the arduous rehearsal that followed. Service was excellent the entire evening. A belated notice that we had to get out the door a bit quicker than anticipated was not a problem.

I wish I could eat at NB more often; it's a beacon of quality in DC's foggy bottom.

I had an enjoyable solo meal before a show at the Ken Cen last night:

Prosciutto wrapped asparagus toasted foccacia, poached farm egg, & sauce gribiche Individual ingredients were high quality, but the sauce gribiche was not on the plate and the dish needed a little punch of something acidic to bring it together. Drank 2004 akakies (rose), kir-yanni.

Raviolini: sheep's milk ricotta cheese, glazed sweet peas, & morel cream Plump tender little raviolini, with big sweet peas and a generous portion of morels. I resisted the urge to lick my plate. Drank the 2005 chardonnay, louisvalle.

chocolate hazelnut torte, bittersweet chocolate, pear sorbetto, and florentine cookie This is a much lighter dessert than it sounds. I loved the cake, with large peices of hazelnuts for crunch, and the pear sorbetto was intensly flavored and matched well with the cake. Drank very good, hot coffee.

One weird thing - NB might want to check its ice machine. The ice in my water had a off odor.

Raviolini: sheep's milk ricotta cheese, glazed sweet peas, & morel cream  Plump tender little raviolini, with big sweet peas and a generous portion of morels.  I resisted the urge to lick my plate.  Drank the 2005 chardonnay, louisvalle.

That description nearly made me lick my computer screen. YUM!!

I enjoyed the duck terrine which hit the spot in a meat-loafy sorta way.  The condiments with it were nice too, except for some large, nut-like things that can probably break your teeth.  Definitely order the dish, but chew the crunchies with caution. 

Upon further review, I have learned that these tidbits were duck cracklings....that somehow went awry.

A big thank you to Danny Boylen, our servers, and especially Chef Chittum for a thoroughly enjoyable stroll through the new menu last night, and for generously donating the gift certificate we won at the l'Academie fundraiser for Chris Sadler that made our visit possible. We really appreciate what you did for us.

Chef's Mixed antipasti Little tastes of several different things, our favorites were the preserved yellow fin tuna with fava beans, roasted cherry tomatoes, & olives - and anchovies! Scott and I loved the anchovies. I may try to recreate this at home. The aparagus with prosciutto was another, this time without the poached egg, and with the sauce gribiche that was omitted from my appetizer ealier in the week.

Fettucine, blue crab and cherry tomatoes This had a white wine/butter sauce. Delicious and probably less simple that it sounds. We had intended not to finish the half portion, but had to restrain ourselves from licking our plates.

Wine: 2004 est! est! est! (Trebbiano, Malvasia) , Bigi

Risotto with poussin, foie gras, & 25 year old balsamic vinegar. This was decadent and needed the wine to cut the richness.

Wine: 2003 Frascati, Conte Zandotti

Crispy skin sablefish, caramelized artichoke hearts, trio of onions, & whole grain mustard. Loved the buttery, silken fish. I did not care for the ramps, but that's a personal preference and not a flaw in the dish.

Wine: 2002 Chardonnay (Sleepy Hollow), Talbott Vineyards

Lamb, with raviolini, morels, and spring peas The lamb had lovely flavor and we enjoyed the mushrooms with it. I felt the creamy sauce was a little overpowering for the meat, Scott liked the combination.

Wine: 2003 Clà (Barbera, Oltrepo Pavese), Vercesi del Castellano

Rhubarb soup, panna cotta, & pistachios This came with a stick of pistachio brittle. Forget what the panna cotta flavoring was...I remember ginger and maybe black pepper? It's a different preparation than the online menu. We loved this.

- and -

Chocolate hazelnut cake with pear sorbetto I wrote about this one in a previous post. I loved it, Scott is not so much a hazelnut fan but loved the intense pear flavor of the sorbet.

Dessert wine: flight of Graham's 6 grapes, 10yo tawny, 20yo tawny, & 30yo tawny.

Portions were generous but not overwhelming, and the service was very well done. I was sorry that I couldn't finish my wines, especially the chardonnay. And of course, just being able to eat a leisurely meal with the kids was a treat in itself. :) I wish Notte Bianchi had been there while I was doing time working at the Kennedy Center - what a treat it would have been to get a glass of wine and pasta on my way home from work.

Funny aside, I made the reservation early in the week with no special occasion in mind - we remembered yesterday that it was Mother's Day weekend, ten years ago, that Scott and I had our first date. So it was special occasion after all.

Thanks again. We'll be back.

Spring in a Bowl

...so said Chef Cittum tonight when I shook his hand and thanked him for a wonderful meal. After a particularly trying week I was in need of classy comfort food (as opposed to, say, noodle soup or mac-n-cheese style comfort food). Notti Bianche immediately came to mind, and starfish was able to get us a table.

The dish to which we were referring was the sheep milk raviolini with peas in morel cream sauce. This is the most delicious thing I've eaten since... since... oh heck, I don't know, but it was that good, a wonderful balance of rich and refreshing, and contrasting textures what with the, um, were those pea shoots?

If someone were to ask me "what is your favorite dish in DC this spring?", well, you know my answer.

The prosciutto-wrapped asparagus with poached egg was also exactly what I was in the mood for. Come to think of it, I owe Heather thanks for describing it above - probably why I had NB on my mind.

And finally, for you wine geeks: go and try the sparkling shiraz, available by the glass on Saturday nights. What a fascinating wine. Really all I got was a big bouquet of fruit, from nose to finish (okay, I ain't a sophisticated drinker), but it was just delightful.

Spring in a Bowl

...so said Chef Cittum tonight when I shook his hand and thanked him for a wonderful meal. After a particularly trying week I was in need of classy comfort food (as opposed to, say, noodle soup or mac-n-cheese style comfort food). Notti Bianche immediately came to mind, and starfish was able to get us a table.

The dish to which we were referring was the sheep milk raviolini with peas in morel cream sauce. This is the most delicious thing I've eaten since... since... oh heck, I don't know, but it was that good, a wonderful balance of rich and refreshing, and contrasting textures what with the, um, were those pea shoots?

If someone were to ask me "what is your favorite dish in DC this spring?", well, you know my answer.

My taste buds can now confirm, first-hand, the fabulousness of this dish. In seven months, when we start the thread on the best dishes of 2006, this deserves an honored position.

I also had the preserved tuna as a starter. And it's almost a shame, really, because the tuna is very, very good too, people. Preserved in-house, it's served with greens, roasted grape tomatoes, fava beans, several kinds of olives, and shavings of (I think) aged sheep's milk cheese. Every forkful was delicious, but every combination of elements also hit on a different theme and flavor. Super dish.

But alas for the tuna--the raviolini still won the day! The soft pasta and tangy filling, the creamy sauce, the sweet peas offering a bit of resistance, and some baby arugula on top to cut through it all just when you thought you couldn't eat any more... THIS is eating, folks.

I look forward to many more future menu death-matches at Notti Bianche.

notti bianche is celebrating our 1st anniversary tonight (the actual date was saturday, but the party is after we close tonight). i want to thank all of you for contributing to our success. we serve at the pleasure of each of our guests, but it is with added pleasure that we serve those with a greater understanding of all of the love and hardwork that goes into a good restaurant.

thank you all.

eta: we are closed this evening for a private event.

Congrats on your first year! If the food I ate today was any indication of your future success, I'm sure that you'll be celebrating many anniversaries to come. My coworkers and I stopped by for lunch and enjoyed the much-hyped raviolini (deserving of all the hype and then some). I also partook of the hanger steak. The beef was cooked perfectly and loved the endive and pancetta as well, but I felt that my steak was a bit underseasoned for my tastes. Finished it off with some great hazlenut cake as well. Three cheers for Notti Bianche!