Fall Picnic 2008 - Sunday, October 19th (?)

Heather

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Update:

Heather +3 (beverages, duck rillettes, salad)

Waitman & Mrs. B (charcuterie? sausages?)

ferment everything (beer, bacon)

jparrott (ham, water)

agm

Pat

Walrus

Tripewriter

ol ironstomach

catherine

hm212 +2 (dessert)

xcanuck +1 (dead animal)

Banco (+3?)

sparkycom

thistle

goodeats +1

legant +1 (water, + TBA)

goldenticket

zoramargolis (+1?)

MBK

Anyone else? :lol:

Heather +3 (beverages, duck rillettes, salad)

jparrott (ham, water)

agm

Pat

Walrus

Tripewriter

ol ironstomach

catherine

hm212 +2 (dessert)

xcanuck +1 (dead animal)

Banco +3

sparkycom

thistle

goodeats +1

legant +1 (water, + TBA)

goldenticket

zoramargolis (+1?)

MBK

Atenna +1

SeanMike

DanielK +1 (soccer goals & water)

Antonio (fried chicken & collards)

StephenB (deviled eggs)

lackadaisi & JLock +1

ladi kai lemoni

We're a little light on side dishes, and we need to work out who's bringing non food items (plates, cups, plastic utensils, etc.)

One more week!

Heather +3 (beverages, cole slaw, trash bags, table covers)

jparrott (ham, water)

agm

NQD

pidgey +2

Walrus

Tripewriter

ol ironstomach

catherine

hm212 +2 (dessert)

xcanuck +1 (dead animal)

Banco +3

sparkycom

thistle

goodeats +1 (side dish, forks)

legant +1 (water, + TBA)

goldenticket

MBK

Atenna +1

SeanMike

DanielK +1 (soccer goals & water)

Antonio (fried chicken & collards)

StephenB (deviled eggs)

lackadaisi & JLock +1

ladi kai lemoni

nashman1975 (fudge peanut butter bars, maybe sweet potato salad)

We are quite light in the side dish/dessert categories, and we need folks to volunteer to being cups, utensils, and plates. I am switching my contribution to cole slaw, and will bring large trash bags, and a few table covers.

Reprising from the last thread...

For the nth picnic in a row, Cellar Cull Share is on. Please bring one or more bottles of fascinating, intriguing, exciting, or off-the-wall juice. We'll have a table set up. Once the wine is on the table, anyone with a corkscrew and a cup can open it. Mr. JPW and I will be performing our usual husbandry, mainly involving sniffing suspect bottles and killing crabgrass with corked bottles.

Some plaintive entreaties guidelines:

1. This is in addition to other contributions to the picnic. And water.

2. If you bring the chili wine or some other tourist-trappy silliness, try to also bring something with a higher probability of success.

3. Have fun with this. Introduce people to wines you know. Ask questions about wines you don't. And carefully conceal your wines that are made by boiling beer or other alcoholic goodness and taking the vapor.

Hmm...my Sunday might be freed up for this. If I do come, I might bring along some kadu bouranee (Afghan stewed pumpkin...but probably butternut squash, due to scarcity of good pie pumpkins so far) which I've recently learned how to make somewhat consistently.

How much would be a good amount to bring if I did? Is there a way to warm it up beyond lukewarm? And would it be okay to bring along some pitas as well, for dipping?

Sorry for all the questions, but I've never been to a DR picnic before.

There's no right or wrong, Matt, and kadu bouranee sounds great. I am not certain about reheating facilities, but it would probably be great at room temp. :lol: Bring as many pita as you like.

Mrs. B suggested, and I concur, that a canned food drive might be good idea. Not manadatory, but I'd be happy to work with everyone on a suitable organization.

I would be grateful if everyone could chip in a couple of bucks to cover the $225 site rental.

Hmm...my Sunday might be freed up for this. If I do come, I might bring along some kadu bouranee (Afghan stewed pumpkin...but probably butternut squash, due to scarcity of good pie pumpkins so far) which I've recently learned how to make somewhat consistently.
YUMMY - I did see some pie pumpkins at the Old Town Whole Foods last night, but butternut sounds great as well.

For you (and others who may be first-timers at a picnic), here's some info that might be helpful:

(I’m borrowing words here from others who already said it better than I could) You are all encouraged to bring something of quality - appropriate to eat and/or drink with all the various meat dishes that are on the menu. To make sure there’s something for everyone that will also mean vegan and vegetarian offerings need to be part of the spread.

If you’re not into cooking, consider heading to your favorite food store, deli, liquor store, bakery or restaurant and sharing something utterly scrumptious from there. Just bring enough to share with a few folks. There is always a LOT of food; no need to double recipes or anything – a standard serves 4-6-sized preparation should do the trick.

In addition to your food contribution, please plan to bring either a beverage or paper product (plates, napkins, plastic utensils, cups, etc). Wine and beer are allowed at the picnic site, but non-alcoholic beverages will be welcome too. (Talk to sparkycom about other adult beverages and creative packaging :lol: ). Cases of water, soda and drink boxes for the younger attendees are always appreciated.

There will also be a collection jar to defray the costs of the picnic site rental. Suggested minimum contribution is $5/adult; $2-3 per child. [The site we're at this year -October 2008- is a larger site, and therefore more expensive, so please that that into consideration.]

You may want to indicate whether your item is vegetarian or vegan and/or if it includes any unusual items – ones that people might like to be aware of due to allergies or religious/dietary restrictions

General categories:

Appetizers, snacks, finger food

Sides/Salads

Main course

1. meat/fish

2. vegetarian/vegan

Desserts/sweets

Beverages

Misc.

Also recommended: camp chairs, coolers, games (Frisbees, soccer balls, etc)

For information from previous picnics, see this thread and the latter parts of this one.

I'd be happy to pull some labels together (or at least bring blank ones if the list isn't complete by Friday) so we can identify all the goodies!