Suna, Eastern Market - Chef Johnny Spero comes from Komi and Town House - Closed

Please please please, all of you give respect to those who are there and have put their souls into Suna. Stop speculating on the whys and morn the loss.

I can appreciate that sentiment. But it does, however, bring up the question of why some neighborhoods just can't seem to support a restaurant like this. For years, I've heard nothing but the dearth of decent places to eat on Capitol Hill. Why is that? Also, why has Range succeeded in Friendship Heights, when nobody else has managed to do that? I mean, they took over the space that use to belong to Pottery Barn. What's that about? I was just trying to remember how long Cashion's Eat Place has been around in AdMo. It was the original Cafe Atlantico and then became Cashion's, and then was sold to the latest owners and is still going strong--even though it was the most expensive restaurant around here for all that time. Now, Mintwood Place is a couple of doors up the road and both places are going gang-busters. Suna didn't strike me as being terribly different. Makes me think that anybody opening a restaurant needs to have his/her head examined.

• Like 1

All three restaurants in the building are owned by the same people, right? Suna wasnt filling and turning tables but the adjunctive speakeasy was/is. Higher end booze with some snacks being more profitable than food and more aligned with the needs/wants of the neighborhood, I wouldn't be surprised if the speakeasy expands into that space.

Though it's very safe to assume that my disappointment at the closing of Suna is a pale, pale shadow of what anyone involved with the restaurant is going through, I'm still very bummed out by this.

The one meal I had there was so excellent and so memorable that I'd put a reminder in my calendar to book a mid-April reservation, so I could check out the spring menu.

This sucks.

It's way to early to speculate that Range is a success.... Lets be honest here ... It's only been open a few months. It's going to take a while for it to be profitable and time will tell if it lasts. I'm looking forward to eating there at some point I wish I had eaten at Suna, but never made it. We can speculate all day but at the end of it, but all of that is just filler. This restaurant world that we work in and you all dine in is a crazy mixture of too many variables that can come into play at any time and propel or kill a business. This business has margins thinner than the underwear on a Victorias Secret model. Lets just hope the spirit and drive of the Suna peeps takes shape again somewhere else on the future. Until then, I suggest you all go to that restaurant that you've been meaning to try but haven't. Cause tomorrow may not come.

• Like 2

Very sad to hear that Suna has closed. We enjoyed our evening there and had looked forward to seeing what the talented individuals would come up with over the various seasons.

Tip my hat to Chef Johnny Spero and the wonderful kitchen staff!

Wow, wow and wow.

Does anyone have any experiences to share in dining at a restaurant on its last day in business?

Yes. I do. Four of us dined at Suna on its second-to-last night (aka Friday or two nights ago) and had NO IDEA about this news. I'd last checked the board the day prior to Tom's tweet and don't follow Tom's tweets myself. So, yeah, I'll share some experiences but, first, I want to reply to RJ's post:

Please please please, all of you give respect to those who are there and have put their souls into Suna. Stop speculating on the whys and morn the loss.

I only made it to R24 for the first time last month. I honestly had no idea whether I'd like it or not. So much had been written good and bad on every aspect of it for months. The food. The pricing. The contract. The marketing. The drinks. RJ himself. All said, I'm big on figuring things out firsthand before opining. Only fair and only possible to be useful that way. So, after several months before taking the plunge, I did. And I loved it. I wrote a lot about it here. So, with truly deep and sincere respect for Chef Cooper's talent as a chef, I'll respectfully disagree with the above. Maybe semantics but "speculating" to me is akin to criticism. One can say don't criticize. Just say positive things; just celebrate the good things. But that doesn't help anyone. Not the customers looking for help in picking places to dine. Not the chefs and owners who risk so much to be successful. And surely not the staff in all roles that make any restaurant possible and depend on them for their livelihoods.

This "speculation" stuff is just like that. Respect and speculation aren't mutually exclusive. One can criticize or speculate constructively, supportively and respectfully. Or, one can be a caustic jerk. The latter is wholly unproductive and mean spirited. The former can be very valuable--to all who visit and learn from this board and to the owners who are open to serious feedback that helps them to be even better. Can other restaurants learn from how informed diners think about closures like Suna? Sure they can. Can other restaurants learn from others' failures if facts become known? Absolutely. None of that means not "mourning" or not "celebrating" what Suna was and what the team there did. I'd argue that sharing opinions (so long as constructive) does celebrate Suna, its staff and all the other restaurants out there fighting to be successful.

I'm a huge advocate of the DC dining scene (although currently live in NYC). I never dined at Suna but thinking more big picture as opposed to Post review-like factors. Suna charged $48 for 4 courses and $76 for 8 (don't quote me on that). That's expensive IMHO. Friends of mine who ate there said they left hungry after the 4 course meal. The restaurant is above a comfort food restaurant that charges $20 for a bowl of pasta. I understand trying to push the envelope, but I don't think this was the right neighborhood for this restaurant. Capitol Hill is a late 20s, early 30s neighborhoody crowd. I know the restaurant was trying to be a little more hipster and this wouldn't have worked on H Street either. A restaurant like Suna needs to be downtown where they can charge more for both 4 and 8 course meals and get the clientele who are willing to pay it. The restaurant never had more then 4 tables at a time most days. Just a bad business decision.

Very disappointing;...Since Spero is being very circumspect, I suspect an impatient financier who pulled funds prematurely.

I like the above and think there's a lot in sklarthy's post worth considering seriously. I agree with part of it from my own, all-too-recent experience. I also disagree with pinning the closure totally on location for several reasons already cited. I do agree there is something to be learned about the business decisions/challenges behind the curtain at Suna. But we don't know what those fatal challenges were. Sadly for all who might learn and benefit, we may never know. Tujague's speculation is as likely as any from my perspective. But, again, we just don't know.

I thought Suna was EXTREMELY good value. Your mileage obviously varies.

Hard to agree with Gadarene. We thought Suna was great. A bit more on our experience below. On the value meter, however, Suna was a higher-priced, fine-dining concept. Reasonable value given the innovation and quality? Maybe even 'decent' or 'good' value? Sure. But I can't praise the value more than that as much as I really enjoyed and will miss Suna.

Yes. It's hit or miss, often a bonanza.

Much more a hit than miss for us. Because we hadn't seen the news online, we went with no idea anything was amiss. The only odd sign the entire night was right when we arrived and were greeted. I asked for Sean, who I miss from Palena and Evening Star and was looking forward to seeing again. No Sean. We were just told he was no longer with Suna. I asked where he'd gone and was told they didn't know. Nothing further on that.

I won't do my normal full venue, food, service thing here. Just some thoughts in regular prose.

I'd phoned to make a booking this past Monday for Friday night. I also had sent an email. Not hearing back on either of those, I guessed I was just way too late to score a Friday night table same week. On a lark, I sent Chef Spero a PM though this board. And that led to my getting a table and talking with him by phone. He was incredibly humble and nice. We asked if one in our party with some restrictions could be accommodated. Different from some other higher-end spots (but not different from R24, who were also wonderful about this), Chef Spero told me that they'd gladly accommodate the needs. And so they did.

After being seated and looking over the menu, my +1 and I decided to do the full 8-course menu but our friends wanted to do the 4. The server told us that wouldn't be possible due to the timing challenges so we all got the 4. That struck me as a tad odd. I understand how it'd require some gymnastics to time service properly but also that that seemed revenue minimizing. Nevertheless, we went with the flow. I was a bit worried whether it would be enough food but recalled a post more upthread about the 4 being larger portions and at least one post praising a mackerel dish which was only on the 8 course menu. So, I asked our server whether I could also get that and just be charged for it in addition. She checked with the kitchen and came back quickly with the news that they'd gladly do it. When the time came, we all were served the mackerel as a 5th course. And, only just checking my receipt again just now, I realize they didn't charge us for it. Geez. I wish they had even though I realize, in the grand scheme, it was kind of immaterial. Maybe one day I'll get a chance to return the favor to Chef Spero. I'd like to.

We all loved the food. We though it really creative, sometimes difficult to interpret or decode but, most of all, always delicious. Suna on Friday night (as I suspect was true all nights of its shortened life) ran the edge of experimentation but never went over sacrificing flavor. Big kudos there since, much more often that not, it doesn't work that way in my experience. More typically, we're left thinking we should photograph, gawk, discuss but not so much enjoy the food of an ultra-creative chef. Not Suna. We loved every course, a rare occurrence in my own experience with tasting menus. As just one example, one component of one of the savory courses was an "eggplant puree" swipe. Not just a swipe but a near perfectly jet-black swipe. And that was because it had been roasted and charred with enough char to blacken the puree. Smoky. Delicious. But just the base for a dish with at least 4 or so other components that took up maybe 1/8th of the beautiful plate. Thinking back on the plates saddens me too since I know those were custom-designed for the restaurant.

The service was excellent. French with multiple servers for delivery of each course and ultra professional and attentive otherwise. The night started a bit slow in the dining room (our table was for 7pm) but, by 8:15, the place was full. The kitchen was also full with chefs and staff busy turning out wonderful plate after wonderful plate.

Gosh, we had no idea. Two of us were hungry afterward but two were not. On the way out, my +1 turned to me, unprompted, and said "I love this restaurant." She doesn't often do that. I had to agree that it was a great experience; one we planned to redo and recommend.

Whatever the story behind Suna's closure, I have to think it's a business-related story but not just explained by demand (how busy they were or weren't on given nights) since they were still pretty new out of the blocks. Surely the location was good enough and what they were doing would easily make them a destination imho. I'd love for Chef Spero to share the story if he reaches a point where he'd be comfortable doing it. There's no shame in failure. Anything ever done, by any of us whether the most famous or the most unknown, has failure as part of the path followed. Failure is extremely valuable if and only if learning happens which then makes change and improvement possible.

Chef Spero, Sean Alves and the Suna team have a ton about which to be very proud. I'm so glad we got to experience it at the buzzer and we'll be eagerly awaiting news of their next stops. We'll be there.

• Like 3

Kliman's take: http://www.washingtonian.com/blogs/bestbites/food-restaurant-news/suna-fascinating-frustratingand-gone-in-a-flash.php

For what it's worth, I generally disagree with his complaints. I think that most of the dishes I tried at Suna were well-conceived and the more atypical ingredient combinations were invoked for a purpose (not just to be different, as Kliman suggests). The comment about the plating came off as petty; unique plates were commissioned for the restaurant, why shouldn't similar thought and creativity go into the presentation of the food delivered on those plates? The fact that each course was a photo-worthy work of art doesn't detract at all from the diner's enjoyment--in fact, it added to my enjoyment.

Most importantly, I disagree that Suna failed to give us delicious food. They accomplished this without relying on the crutch of luxury ingredients, and that took real talent and courage, which cannot be "ordered up overnight like a case of truffles" (to repurpose a quote from Kliman's blog post).

Chef Spero: I can hardly imagine the emotional response to reading a critique like this when you and your team have clearly invested so much of yourselves into this project. I hope it counts for something that many on this board think that you did absolutely succeed at building what you set out to create. You didn't do it the easy way; you made the restaurant that you wanted to helm, and those of us who were able to share your vision are fortunate for it.

FWIW, I think TK makes some fair points in his piece. Points that have largely been made already on this thread and elsewhere. The essence of the post-mortem 'review' is that TK feels Chef Spero sacrificed deliciousness and/or sufficiency in the effort to be creative whether with textures, plates or what have you. Fair enough. Though I'd disagree there as I wrote just a few posts upthread, TK is of course entitled to his opinions and he does support them well. Then again, he's a pro so of course he does. :)

I have just two bigger issues with the piece:

1. Of course Chef Spero is a "work in progress." He's young. It was his first restaurant as a chef/owner. Not sure what value or use it is to state that?

2. Big, big issue with the timing of it. Kind of unbelievable (to me) that he'd "sat" on the review because he "...was still trying to decide what [he] thought of the place. Clearly, from the piece itself, he thought a lot. A lot that could have been published previously.

Finally, there's an implication that that the on-plate stuff is the reason for the closure. Simply not fair to say and totally unknown. I also think it unlikely. Some things to be considered and learned from the piece to be sure but maybe a bit unfair and unbalanced.

FWIW, I think TK makes some fair points in his piece. Points that have largely been made already on this thread and elsewhere. The essence of the post-mortem 'review' is that TK feels Chef Spero sacrificed deliciousness and/or sufficiency in the effort to be creative whether with textures, plates or what have you. Fair enough. Though I'd disagree there as I wrote just a few posts upthread, TK is of course entitled to his opinions and he does support them well. Then again, he's a pro so of course he does. :)

I have just two bigger issues with the piece:

1. Of course Chef Spero is a "work in progress." He's young. It was his first restaurant as a chef/owner. Not sure what value or use it is to state that?

2. Big, big issue with the timing of it. Kind of unbelievable (to me) that he'd "sat" on the review because he "...was still trying to decide what [he] thought of the place. Clearly, from the piece itself, he thought a lot. A lot that could have been published previously.

Finally, there's an implication that that the on-plate stuff is the reason for the closure. Simply not fair to say and totally unknown. I also think it unlikely. Some things to be considered and learned from the piece to be sure but maybe a bit unfair and unbalanced.

The thing I took away from it is that he was 2/3 of the way through formulating his views and writing a review of the restaurant. Tom was 3/3 through but it hadn't been published yet. It's probably easier for Todd to post this (as opposed to Tom and whatever constraints the Post imposes) given that he didn't have a formal review ready.

This was ( :() a restaurant with a menu that was going to change seasonally and was otherwise fairly static at that early stage. I can see how a critic might want to space out the visits to get more of a sense of what they were doing. Given that 3 visits is the typical standard, that's why I didn't think 4 months was that horribly long to get something in print. If anything, the critics were assuming that this place was going to be around for a while because it was that serious a restaurant.

The thing I took away from it is that he was 2/3 of the way through formulating his views and writing a review of the restaurant. Tom was 3/3 through but it hadn't been published yet. It's probably easier for Todd to post this (as opposed to Tom and whatever constraints the Post imposes) given that he didn't have a formal review ready.

This was ( :() a restaurant with a menu that was going to change seasonally and was otherwise fairly static at that early stage. I can see how a critic might want to space out the visits to get more of a sense of what they were doing. Given that 3 visits is the typical standard, that's why I didn't think 4 months was that horribly long to get something in print. If anything, the critics were assuming that this place was going to be around for a while because it was that serious a restaurant.

That makes a lot of sense. Thanks Pat. Also reminds me that I'd meant to post the below photo. As much as Suna was "fairly static" during its short run ( :( ), there were some differences and new things from night to night; maybe something for which they weren't getting as much credit? Can see that by comparing the menu we had on the 2nd-to-last night this past Friday to the one Don posted on Monday with Suna's last night noted (was that the actual last night dinner?). Differences mostly in the 4-course column.

post-2258-0-80321900-1363150728_thumb.jp

That makes a lot of sense. Thanks Pat. Also reminds me that I'd meant to post the below photo. As much as Suna was "fairly static" during its short run ( :( ), there were some differences and new things from night to night; maybe something for which they weren't getting as much credit?

I settled on “fairly static” as the best way to convey my perception of “not changing a lot but not necessarily unchanging.” There probably is a better phrasing. And, you’re right that it might not have been clear to potential customers (or critics) that the menu offerings were changing. Thanks for putting up the other menu.

The comment about the plating came off as petty; unique plates were commissioned for the restaurant, why shouldn't similar thought and creativity go into the presentation of the food delivered on those plates? The fact that each course was a photo-worthy work of art doesn't detract at all from the diner's enjoyment--in fact, it added to my enjoyment.

When I saw pictures of the dishes, I was wondering why the food wasn't centered on the plate. I find the presentation odd. In terms of compositioning, you normally wouldn't put something to the side unless there is something else more worthy of attention.

Tom's review, while pretty critical, is also well supported. And no doubt there are restrictions and pressures at any media organization that guide the publishing decisions. Can't have blank space and all that I guess. But, inasmuch as the point of a review is to inform readers who may be interested in trying the restaurant, this feels a bit like beating the proverbial dead horse.

I thought Kliman nailed this review* To me, the food at Suna was beautiful, technically well-executed, and not particularly delicious or satisfying (in several senses of 'satisfying', one being that we were all still hungry after the 8-course and had to order snacks at Harold Black after). The dashi custard dish was a highlight for me as well (though the custard eaten by itself was quite bland-- the dish might have been even better if the custard had more flavor), as was the beet dish. Other than that, I thought the dishes were somewhat interesting, but unremarkable flavor-wise. It's unfortunate that Suna is closing, though-- I would have loved to have seen how it progressed.

*Probably because it's exactly what I was thinking about Suna :) "We rarely find men of good sense... save those that agree with us in opinion".

Tom's review, while pretty critical, is also well supported. And no doubt there are restrictions and pressures at any media organization that guide the publishing decisions. Can't have blank space and all that I guess. But, inasmuch as the point of a review is to inform readers who may be interested in trying the restaurant, this feels a bit like beating the proverbial dead horse.

Yeah, it's unfortunate...but as he said in his chat, "because the Magazine publishes in advance, we weren't able to pull the column."

He said in his chat that it was too late to pull it. The magazine has a longer lead time than the rest of the paper, so I guess that explains it. That is a hard review to read :( .

I thought Kliman nailed this review* To me, the food at Suna was beautiful, technically well-executed, and not particularly delicious or satisfying (in several senses of 'satisfying', one being that we were all still hungry after the 8-course and had to order snacks at Harold Black after). The dashi custard dish was a highlight for me as well (though the custard eaten by itself was quite bland-- the dish might have been even better if the custard had more flavor), as was the beet dish. Other than that, I thought the dishes were somewhat interesting, but unremarkable flavor-wise. It's unfortunate that Suna is closing, though-- I would have loved to have seen how it progressed.

*Probably because it's exactly what I was thinking about Suna :) "We rarely find men of good sense... save those that agree with us in opinion".

Thought the same thing after my visit. We left thinking it was OK, with the custard dish the only one that really stood out. I agree that it would have been nice to see how it could have progressed.

He said in his chat that it was too late to pull it. The magazine has a longer lead time than the rest of the paper, so I guess that explains it. That is a hard review to read :( .

Hard to read yes, but having eaten at Suma I could totally relate to his commentary. In the same way that the molecular gastronomy trend was hard for some people to wrap their heads around and enjoy, I think the Noma-foraged-"dirt candy" trend can be equally if not more challenging. Speaking for myself, I had a horrific fossilized salsify experience at Mugaritz and every plate at Suma reminded me of it. For that restaurant to have broad appeal it needed to transcend the trends and do more than satisfy some sort of foodie-fetish for berries and moss. Clearly Tom thought it didn't taste good and didn't seem to want to go back either.

This has to be a reviewer's worst nightmare. Tom has nothing to apologize for with his review, but being powerless to pull it in the immediate aftermath of the restaurant's closing nevertheless will lead many to think that he was piling on needless humiliation. If it had been a good review, it could at least be read as bittersweet under the circumstances. Even if he doesn't regret his words, I bet he hates that it appeared, which is hard to express without sounding like he's second-guessing himself or spooked by the inevitable risks of the publishing schedule.

• Like 1

If it had been a good review, it could at least be read as bittersweet under the circumstances.

If it had been a good review, Suna might be serving dinner tonight. A 1/2 star review in the Post is likely the death knell for any serious restaurant, particularly a place like this. If word leaked, I could see the owners pulling the plug on that basis alone. I'm not saying that's what happened, but it seems like a rather large coincidence . . .

I have no problem with Tom's review though I don't agree with it. Funny since I'm very much not a molecular gastronomy type for the reasons he cites related to Suna. I thought Suna was different from that with clear potential to only get better with time.

That aside, I'm of like mind with RWBoone here. Maybe someone with real knowledge of the Post's production cycles can weigh in but, to me, the decision to publish raises the same kind of transparency issues we talk about with food.

Perhaps (probably?) true that Tom couldn't stop publication but that's an unexplained assertion and Tom isn't the same as the leadership which ultimately controls decision-making.

Clearly a glossy full-color magazine will have a longer production cycle than largely black and white newsprint. But, with pervasive wireless and digital technologies publishers have much more flexibility now than even a few years ago.
Other magazines and newspapers regularly change course within 24 hours of a publication deadline in response to changing priorities and events.

There was more than a week's lead time between when it was known Suna would close and when the Post's magazine hard copies would hit the street.

Can't be sure. And, no Eric, I'm not a newspaper expert either, but I do think it fair to ask two questions which may not be answered.

1. What specifically, is the production and publication process that made the review un-pullable as asserted?

2. Was it really that it couldn't be pulled (as asserted) or did leaders at the Post decide they didn't want to pull it? Was it simply a decision to avoid whatever costs or to drive more readership? Clearly its publication is generating some controversy, debate, visits and clicks.

And, in a difficult environment for traditional media, that's always good to support ad rates. FWIW. ;)

In the chat, Tom said that final decision was made Tuesday of last week, and I'm not sure if that means the decision to close the restaurant or to run the review. I was reading behind in the chat, so there wasn't really time to ask.

I wasn't sure of my memory of this and went back and looked, and when Tom was asked if the review was a factor in closing, he wrote:

"I have absolutely no idea. But the final decision was made Tuesday, March 5."

In the chat, Tom said that final decision was made Tuesday of last week, and I'm not sure if that means the decision to close the restaurant or to run the review. I was reading behind in the chat, so there wasn't really time to ask.

I wasn't sure of my memory of this and went back and looked, and when Tom was asked if the review was a factor in closing, he wrote:

"I have absolutely no idea. But the final decision was made Tuesday, March 5."

Sure. But giving Tom the benefit of the doubt, could a decision have been made, a few days later by people above Tom's pay grade, to change the plan but wasn't for other reasons like cost or boosting clicks? Tom doesn't know. So far, neither do we. But I think it a very fair question when assertions are made and expected to be taken wholesale by readers who won't question it since the reality is the great majority of Post readers simply don't care.

Sure. But giving Tom the benefit of the doubt, could a decision have been made, a few days later by people above Tom's pay grade, to change the plan but wasn't for other reasons like cost or boosting clicks? Tom doesn't know. So far, neither do we. But I think it a very fair question when assertions are made and expected to be taken wholesale by readers who won't question it since the reality is the great majority of Post readers simply don't care.

Yes, Tom does deserve the benefit of the doubt here. Reviewers already get called bullies when they publish a negative review, and worse if the restaurant later closes, whether or not the review is the decisive factor. But to willingly publish a negative review after a place has closed starts looking like cruelty, and like him or not, that doesn't seem to be in his repertoire. Whatever it might do for the Post's ad revenue or clicks, there was no discernible advantage to him. Tom did seem sort of terse about this today, so I think it's fair to wonder if a decision to publish was made without his consent, which would likely not sit well with him, since he has to take the lion's share of blowback.

Editor’s note:

This review appears in the March 17, 2013, print edition of WP Magazine, which went to press before Suna announced its closing.

It's the first thing in Tom's review. I'm wondering why some people didn't post negative reviews here until the restaurant is closed and we have two less than two stellar reviews from Washingtonian and Wapo. Based on the majority of the reviews here, I would've thought this place was great notwithstanding my inability to understand what they're cooking based on their menu. All I can say is please share your honest feekback - good or bad.

Yes, Tom does deserve the benefit of the doubt here. Reviewers already get called bullies when they publish a negative review, and worse if the restaurant later closes, whether or not the review is the decisive factor. But to willingly publish a negative review after a place has closed starts looking like cruelty, and like him or not, that doesn't seem to be in his repertoire. Whatever it might do for the Post's ad revenue or clicks, there was no discernible advantage to him. Tom did seem sort of terse about this today, so I think it's fair to wonder if a decision to publish was made without his consent, which would likely not sit well with him, since he has to take the lion's share of blowback.

Exactly my point. I don't at all know Tom so can't be certain about what he would or wouldn't do. But, based on all I know about him second hand (mostly reading his work), he very much should get the benefit of the doubt. The question fair to ask is about what was possible versus desired. And it would need to be asked of those who had the real power to decide. Not Tom.

It's the first thing in Tom's review. I'm wondering why some people didn't post negative reviews here until the restaurant is closed and we have two less than two stellar reviews from Washingtonian and Wapo. Based on the majority of the reviews here, I would've thought this place was great notwithstanding my inability to understand what they're cooking based on their menu. All I can say is please share your honest feekback - good or bad.

I was going to write something up after my visit, but for no specific reason never did. I guess I forgot about my meal there, maybe that says something about it.

Does anyone have an offhand knowledge of Tom's views of this sort of cooking? Obviously different nights are different experiences, but I have been unable to find a single thing in his review that I agree with. Kliman's is balanced and makes some decent points. Tom's just makes me think "you have the palate of a camel's ass" after every other sentence.

• Like 1

How about instead of wondering about everyone's ulterior motives, just take 'em at face value and assume they meant what they wrote irrespective of any difference of opinion with Tom, Todd or you? Constructive disagreement is great stuff. Very helpful. Being nasty and condescending...not so much.

C'mon man. You're the guy who took post #3 to slam this place BEFORE IT HAD EVEN OPENED:

The menu is only slightly less abbreviated than 11 Madison Park. You're not quite at 11 Madison Park Level. I personally would appreciate a better understanding of what is being served before I order it. For example - is a dashi custard a form of chawamushi? Frankly I don't know how any of those dishes on the menu is prepared other than some hint as to ingredients. I know 11 Mad Park is a 3 star Michelin restaurant but I wasn't all that impressed. I suspect more people are impressed with the service than the food.

So you'll forgive me if I'm not as receptive to your "insight" and "advice" about honesty and goodwill above. But that's just my view however "unsubstantiated" or "ignorant" it may be. Peace, brother. :)

TSs lithium veined reviews are not the life force of a restaurant, though sadly the gold standard -a liability to this city's restaurant scene.. While dinner at Sūna left me wanting and the style of cookery is not one that I embrace, absolutely nothing was so awful so as to deserve such a scathing review. He goofed on the wording on the menu, but it isnt much different than what one would read at other Jetsons flavored venues and those in between who list random, often contrived ingredients. Of course TS is still aflutter after last weeks Christmas tree looking Caesar salad and deconstructed tuna/avocado roll :) and Mr. Spero doesnt have the relaxing celebrity that other chefs have acquired.

Links made in May 2012 to the 2.5 star review of R24 go to the October 3 star review. Thats the magic of publishing on the internet. Too bad the techies at the Post couldn't find a way to link the Sūna review to some of those dopey Q&A's when TS is out to lunch.

• Like 1

How about instead of wondering about everyone's ulterior motives, just take 'em at face value and assume they meant what they wrote irrespective of any difference of opinion with Tom, Todd or you? Constructive disagreement is great stuff. Very helpful. Being nasty and condescending...not so much.

C'mon man. You're the guy who took post #3 to slam this place BEFORE IT HAD EVEN OPENED:

So you'll forgive me if I'm not as receptive to your "insight" and "advice" about honesty and goodwill above. But that's just my view however "unsubstantiated" or "ignorant" it may be. Peace, brother. :)

In this case, I believe people who viewed their experience at Suna negatively (or ambivalently) elected not to post in fear of backlash that is known to occur. All I'm saying is this forum is only valuable if people are willing to be critical. Only by comparing notes can I find like minded posters and filter out those who I generally disagree with.

As for the #3 post, I call it prescient.

• Like 1

I like Toki Underground even more after their gracious status update on FB today and wish Chef Spero nothing but future success.

https://www.facebook.com/TokiUnderground?ref=ts&fref=ts

Big agree. That's awesome and exemplary stuff. Exactly the kind of positive, generous (of spirt), humble and constructive kind of sentiment that would mark an even better world if all communicated and felt that way. Love it. So much, hopefully okay I've pasted it in here so more will see it.

I may be biased but I was blessed to have Chef Johnny Spero in my kitchen for a stint in his blossoming culinary career, in fact I take pride in pushing him into following his dream, which to me, was the wonderful dining experience I enjoyed twice at SUNA. His staff was amazing, talented, and just an amazing ensemble of fresh and vibrant new talent. It still makes me angry how amazing his dishes were and that I know deep down inside I could have never dreamed of creating or constructing such amazing plates of food. I couldn't wait for his spring menu and I can't wait till he finds a new home to showcase his talent. That next restauranteur can only hope to be so blessed to be able to scoop him up. ---Chef Erik Bruner-Yang

I remember when I was younger and first saw a bumper sticker reading "Mean People Suck." It made me laugh then. And, it makes me smile now, for a different, more-adult reason, in the same way that Toki post does.

Yeah, it's unfortunate...but as he said in his chat, "because the Magazine publishes in advance, we weren't able to pull the column."

Sorry to post here, and even more sorry to bring anything else to an event already overburdened with unnecessary commentary taking away from the respect and courtesy and basic compassion due to those who gave so much of themselves, but:

For someone who constantly berates in the bitchiest way possible restaurants for not having completely up-to-the-second updated websites, Tom's off-hand dismissal of any responsibility for running the review is total and complete hypocritical horseshit. It may be unavoidable that the review run in the print Magazine, but what possible justification is there for posting it on-line?

For someone who has the resources of a Fortune 500 media company behind him (with how many in its IT and on-line departments?), who finds it necessary to harangue small businesses struggling to maintain operational sustainability as it is for not devoting significant resources to updating social media, the inability to pull an on-line review is as pathetic as it discreditable on every level. The Washington Post is a fucking publishing company, for fuck's sake, whose only legitimate reason for existence is the ability to publish correctly.

One click, and it's gone, with a note, "Due to its unexpected closure, this week's review of Suna will not appear in the on-line edition of the Post. As the paper of record, we will maintain a copy of the print review in our searchable archive."

The only possible reason for running it on-line is so that he could crow about it in his chat today.

Cruel, shameless, indefensible, yet truly revealing of the state of personal integrity on the individual, editorial and organizational levels of all involved at the Post.

The work of those who actually give their lives to restaurants--the people at Suna, and others--rather than just get paid to eat at them while pretending they know something about which they know absolutely nothing in reality, deserve better than this.

I am in trouble on a Bayern Munich message board because I disagreed with several long established "platinum level" posters who ganged up on me. So be it. I gave an honest opinion.

I never ate at Suna although came very close. I really feel for Johnny Spero. At 27 (or 47 or 67) this has got to be a challenging time. Having said this I can only be mad at myself: I wanted to go and didn't. I might have agreed with Tom, might have agree with Todd or, like the Bayern Munich board might have incurred the wrath of a bunch of "regulars" because I stood up for what I believe. What especially bothers me is that I flew to Munich to watch a soccer game but couldn't drive to the far side of Capitol Hill to open my mouth.

Of course I am also the person who showed up at the Town House Grille in Chilhowie. On the day they were closed.

FOR MYSELF and for those reading this: if a chef offers a new experience, a chance for a different kind of taste or, if you will, a "sensorial buzz" don't wait. Go. I might have disagreed with Todd or Tom. If I had gone. In truth I can only blame myself for not having had the experience.

I wish Chef the best. I have learned my own lesson.

For design and layout, the filing deadline for the Post magazine is 2-3 weeks before printing, which is around 1 week before distribution. If they got the news in time, do you really think they should have dropped the article and left the column blank? Should they have pulled all the printed copies and distributed tomorrow without any magazine at all? Do you think they should have published it in print without publishing it on their website?

Honestly. Get a grip.

I am in trouble on a Bayern Munich message board because I disagreed with several long established "platinum level" posters who ganged up on me. So be it. I gave an honest opinion.

FOR MYSELF and for those reading this: if a chef offers a new experience, a chance for a different kind of taste or, if you will, a "sensorial buzz" don't wait. Go. I might have disagreed with Todd or Tom. If I had gone. In truth I can only blame myself for not having had the experience.

I wish Chef the best. I have learned my own lesson.

I love Joe's post above. And, big kudos for sticking to whatever Bayern Munich opinion (so long as it wasn't in any way at Barca's expense :D ). Sticking to an unpopular but sincere opinion is an admirable, courageous and honorable thing...so long as one isn't a jerk about it. On the "don't wait" encouragement, I totally agree with the sentiment but, of course, that's not going to be the right or realistic thing for many people situation dependent. Businesses need to offer something of value to enough people willing to pay for it. Customers will generally act in their own best interests, a known truism sometimes forgotten by entrepreneurs. Simple idea but that's the game. I'm very glad I made it to Suna at the buzzer and I thought and will always think positively about what I experienced there. If I hadn't made it though, I wouldn't lose sleep over it. And, I'd still be as empathetic and sincerely supportive of the Suna team simply because they are good and talented people who did their best and took a very admirable risk to create something new, beautiful and worthwhile. They will rise again. Can take that to the bank and I haven't even met Chef Spero in person. :)

For design and layout, the filing deadline for the Post magazine is 2-3 weeks before printing, which is around 1 week before distribution. If they got the news in time, do you really think they should have dropped the article and left the column blank? Should they have pulled all the printed copies and distributed tomorrow without any magazine at all? Do you think they should have published it in print without publishing it on their website?

Honestly. Get a grip.

There were likely several things that might have been done if the leadership thought it important enough to do it. The 2-3 weeks + 1 week lead time is much longer than what Tom said the deadline was (final decision made only a few days before the news broke) and probably true that he said what he was told.

What sways me more than the speculation that another column might have been run in its place or a different and more empathetic piece might have been quickly written is what we see with other, generally bigger, full color glossy magazines such as those covering sports, finance and news. Those all regularly turn on a dime (make decisions about content and layout and covers with short lead times before printing). That tells us it can be done and thus, probably could have been done here. To me, and I could well be wrong, this was a case of of not feeling a need to do something versus not being able to do something. Absent real evidence about production cycles that acknowledge what other magazines do and why this would be different, that's just the most logical explanation imho.

As disappointing as it is to many of us here, supporting a small business probably wasn't the main priority for a major media company which is itself on less stable ground and also employs many people directly and indirectly. I just wish they'd be transparent about it but that's not always going to be realistic with a publicly traded corporation--especially one under a pretty consistent and intense spotlight. The Washington Post has lost about 36% of its value over the past decade and has treaded water over the past few years. That, in turn, has led to big job losses (more than 50 let go just a couple of weeks ago) and other painful disruptions for many good and regular people trying to make a living.

At the same time, agree with Msgr Landrum pretty strongly on this characterization of the closure:

...an event already overburdened with unnecessary commentary taking away from the respect and courtesy and basic compassion due to those who gave so much of themselves...

To the credit of nearly all who've posted on this topic, and amidst all the back and forth about review timing and publication, the supportive statements made upthread of Johnny Spero, Sean Alves and their team have also been a very consistent theme. That's maybe not as true elsewhere in the web-o-sphere. Can count 'em up. There are many above and I think all of them are very sincere and compassionate whether or not the poster made it to Suna. I again, feel terribly about the closure and wish them all nothing but future success, happiness and support. I'm encouraged by what I experienced last Friday night to not only hope for that. I fully expect it.

Absent real evidence about production cycles that acknowledge what other magazines do and why this would be different, that's just the most logical explanation imho.

If you don't have any knowledge of the production process and deadlines, perhaps you should not endeavor not to smear the entire editorial reputation of The Washington Post by floating the idea that it printed a review of a restaurant that is no longer open only in order to increase the readership of the dozens, or perhaps scores, of people who care enough about the issue to create a conspiracy theory.

• Like 4

If you don't have any knowledge of the production process and deadlines, perhaps you should not endeavor not to smear the entire editorial reputation of The Washington Post by floating the idea that it printed a review of a restaurant that is no longer open only in order to increase the readership of the dozens, or perhaps scores, of people who care enough about the issue to create a conspiracy theory.

Point taken but, in my own defense, it's not a smear so much as a fair question. And, if an opportunity to kill the column wasn't taken, it might well have been due to real financial pressures. See my post above; think you'll see it wasn't finished when you replied and that I see this from the Post's perspective as well as from Suna's. There is plenty of suffering all around. We don't know and probably won't ever know the real story there. I think it just a fair question to ask. To me, it'd be a defensible decision if taken to avoid big unexpected expenses. Again, just think some transparency in the form of a blog post or whatever would be very helpful not just for the small number of people who care but for the Post as well. I'm in a minority here that will sometimes make the case for "big corporations" that are easy to villify but which have real pressures and employ millions of people. They're not all bad and it's not a zero sum game. Small business and big business are both critical to society. They both are made up of 'good' and 'bad' actors. And they and we are all co-dependent.

Can see that by comparing the menu we had on the 2nd-to-last night this past Friday to the one Don posted on Monday with Suna's last night noted (was that the actual last night dinner?).

Yes, the actual last night. I knew they were closing, and wanted to pay my (considerable) respects.

I'll probably have more to say on the "professionals'" "reviews" about Suna tomorrow. Right now, I'm not going to bother.

But I will say that it's time for a change in this town.

• Like 1