bilrus

dr.com "Fit For Summer" Challenge

283 posts in this topic

Okay, let's do it. I'm in. Details tomorrow - feel free to post ideas...
My idea -- going to the Redskins game and not consuming 3/4 of the tray of cupcakes. Seriously, suite food sucks but those cupcakes are like crack.

I'm in -- the whole wildebeast look is out. I'm hopping on the fish bandwagon -- I love the stuff but routinely shun it for cow. And dessert is dead to me.

Perhaps we could have a contest of some kind -- biggest loser wins a gift certificate, something like that. I'd chip in. Would have to be on the honor system. A little competition helps, sometimes.

I'm in. I have gone for broke over the past couple months - and it is definitely showing. I have a new scale scheduled to be delivered on Tuesday, and I would love to see improvement soon.

But for now, I have one more day of not caring, and I plan to make it good. :P

Oh, I am in as well. I seem to be paying for membership to a gym, but I only dimly remember what the gym actually looks like...

So the dinner on Feb 3 will be low fat/cal to accommodate our new virtuous ways? :P

I'm in, too. I lost a bunch of weight three years ago because of grief and stress. Just couldn't eat. Bought all new clothes, which no longer fit. :P , now that I'm back to being Happy and eating way too many fancy meals. DR.com pounds, indeed.

Weight 12/31/2006 203#

Goal 190#

I think its put up time for all of us who have been worshipping at the altar of the dead pig (or the altar of fat & sugar or whatever your persuasion currently is) too frequently.

Hey it's your altar of dead pig and ooey-gooey cheese I happen to worship at... :P Can I blame you for the 15 pounds I'd like to lose?

Weight 12/31/2006 203#

Goal 190#

I think its put up time for all of us who have been worshipping at the altar of the dead pig (or the altar of fat & sugar or whatever your persuasion currently is) too frequently.

Okay dudes, here are the rules:

The goal is to lose 10% of your body weight by Memorial Day Weekend - Friday, May 25th.

That's 2% a month, which is both an attainable and meaningful reduction.

Between January 1st and January 3rd, take your weight on each day, and take the average of the three days. That will be your baseline weight. (I'm figuring everyone will be a salty blotto on January 1st, and will begin to lose fluids by January 3rd, so the average of the three days is probably something close to a "true" weight).

If you're 150 pounds, that's 3 pounds a month for a total of 15

If you're 200 pounds, that's 4 pounds a month for a total of 20

etc.

I couldn't care less what you weigh on February 12th or April 6th - you'll have up weeks and down weeks. But if you've lost 10% by Memorial Day, you've maintained the program long enough so that you've probably successfully changed your lifestyle, which is really what you should be shooting for.

Email me your 10% figure (which I will keep in confidence), and send me progress reports as time goes by. I'll assign everyone a number and maintain one post per person, keeping track of their progress.

And I'll take everyone out to dinner in June who successfully meets their goal. (Nothing major, but I don't mind springing for a small celebration - if 50 people sign up, I reserve the right to modify this!)

I guess I'm supposed to say "check with your doctor before embarking on any weightloss program," so I insist that everyone does this under medical supervision. In other words: I ain't responsible if ya keel over! :P

Get me your 10% baseline number sometime during the first week of January, and if you're out of town and don't see this posting for a few days, get them to me when you can. I'll be posting by the number I assign you for your privacy, not by screen name (if you want me to include your screen name so people can "cheer you on," just let me know).

Let the games begin.

Rocks

Just finished a bag of powdered sugar donuts from the vending machine at work. Help.
I am in. Some help, inpspiration and commradare is very welcome. I leave for cruise in six weeks and really would like to be fifteen less.

Weight 12/31/2006 203#

Goal 190#

My altar is wine (but in vino veritas, right?). Usually have a glass each night, which is enough to affect me, since I'm petite. But I fear I may be developing a "wine belly" if there is such a thing. :P

Hey Don, I don't want to lose 10% of my body weight, but if I cut down on the wine and vanilla pudding, can I join?

Hey Don, I don't want to lose 10% of my body weight, but if I cut down on the wine and vanilla pudding, can I join?

Sure, just send me your goal sometime in the next week.

Confidential to the member who just quit smoking: If you make it to Memorial Day, you can come too.

Well for anyone who is interested in the Pike's Peek 10K or just running training in general...

1. Register for the race at Pike's Peek. Pike's Peek is a big, popular race down Rockville Pike. The bigger they are the more fun, and less embarassing. It's also not very hilly. I sign up for races, because they really motivate me to train instead of putting it off.

2. Depending on your level look at these training programs... Novice or Beginner. If you do more than they suggest you're probably familiar with most of these things anyway.

3. If there's enough interest, I'll schedule some nice and easy training runs. Due to health reasons, I'm pretty slow so don't feel bad.

Back when I was training more, I was able to maintain my weight and eat pretty well. It's a satisfying goal, and it also gave me a stronger immune system. Blah blah blah, everything else a doctor would tell you about cholesterol, heart disease, etc.

I also know that a lot of folks tend to have knee problems from running. That might be attributable to the wrong sneakers. But I would encourage you to look into it.

Add me to the fit for summer" participants. Is it even possible that I can lose the prednisone weight and the weight I gained when I was sad about the prednisone weight? Stay tuned!

I am in.... Though my goal is more than 10%, that is where I will start. In addition, any $20 dollar events that I am involved with will have a low fat/ health options.

Don, I am also putting my money where my mouth is. For every pound I am under my goal (if I am) I will donate $10 bucks to SOS.

Hey it's your altar of dead pig and ooey-gooey cheese I happen to worship at... :P Can I blame you for the 15 pounds I'd like to lose?

So its your eating that is driving my needle on the scale?!? After all how many calories can there be in just tasting things?!?!?!? Its like broken cookies... right?

I'm in. I'm using Weight Watchers (it's the only thing that keeps me paying attention to what I eat) and I'm going to try the novice running program that synaesthesia recommended. I hope it's okay to do it on a treadmill!

I'll also do the $10 to SOS for any lb below my goal weight loss. Great idea, Scott.

Confidential to the member who just quit smoking: If you make it to Memorial Day, you can come too.
I'm doing both.
Don, I am also putting my money where my mouth is. For every pound I am under my goal (if I am) I will donate $10 bucks to SOS.
Great idea Scott. I'm in for that too.