MC Horoscope

8407 Kitchen Bar, Silver Spring Metro - Chef Oscar Jimenez Moves Up From Sous Chef - Closing in Late October, 2017

On 7/10/2009 at 11:40 AM, 'JoyS said:

Seems here int he latest on Nicaro's Chef Pedro's next steps...

Silver Spring Singular - Nicaro, Luau Hut

While Chef Pedro is opening a new place, still no word on what exactly happens with Nicaro.

I see furniture in the new place, at 8407 Ramsey. Looks like it is coming along. Any idea when it will open?

I see furniture in the new place, at 8407 Ramsey. Looks like it is coming along. Any idea when it will open?

Opening Wednesday March 24.

Restaurant to be called 8407.

Bar, lounge with sofas, dining room, and private function room.

Looking forward to this one!

Restaurant to be called 8407.

Tim Carman on South by Southwest here.

Seriously, why not just call this restaurant "Random Four-Digit Number?"

"Because it's 8407 Ramsey Street, Don."

"Ah, yes - Ramsey Street, that important Silver Spring boulevard. How could I forget?"

Mistakenly, I was able to peak in last weekend, the front door was open, as they were training the wait staff.

The interior looks great and the all day menu looks good. They have duck fat fries so interested in tasting them.

Tim Carman on South by Southwest here.

Seriously, why not just call this restaurant "Random Four-Digit Number?"

"Because it's 8407 Ramsey Street, Don."

"Ah, yes - Ramsey Street, that important Silver Spring boulevard. How could I forget?"

Apparently it's officially "8407 Kitchen Bar." I'm considering dropping in tonight to check it out.

The duck fat fries and the salad with rabbit confit were great! We went Friday night and tried these things because they were new to us, but we also had some standbys from the old Nicarro days, the lamb bolognese and the grilled waluu with fennel. Wish I had saved some of my bread to dip in the sauce that came with it.

The place had high ceilings so I would be surprised if it were as noisy as Nicarro. There was a bar on the first floor with a lot of people there for Happy Hour and scoping out the place. We were seated upstairs where there is another bar and a side room for group gatherings. Familiar faces among the wait staff.

I don't know what the Luau place looked like, but this was comfortable and modern looking. Two big parking garages very close by, on Bonifant and Dixon.

I look forward to trying the charcuterie plate, the cheese plate, and the andouille and seafood gumbo (from the lunch menu)!

The duck fat fries and the salad with rabbit confit were great! We went Friday night and tried these things because they were new to us, but we also had some standbys from the old Nicarro days, the lamb bolognese and the grilled waluu with fennel. Wish I had saved some of my bread to dip in the sauce that came with it.

The place had high ceilings so I would be surprised if it were as noisy as Nicarro. There was a bar on the first floor with a lot of people there for Happy Hour and scoping out the place. We were seated upstairs where there is another bar and a side room for group gatherings. Familiar faces among the wait staff.

I don't know what the Luau place looked like, but this was comfortable and modern looking. Two big parking garages very close by, on Bonifant and Dixon.

I look forward to trying the charcuterie plate, the cheese plate, and the andouille and seafood gumbo (from the lunch menu)!

Nice to hear! I'll have to stop by soon.

We had an excellent dinner at 8407 last night and we are so pleased to have Chef Matamoros back in action. We've missed Nicaro but 8407 is going to be so much better. FIrst off, the dining room is handsome and comfortable. Tables are nicely spaced and I believe folks won't have to lean in to hear their dining mates even when the room is full. We weren't adventurous in our food choices but were exceedingly pleased with the dishes we ordered. I had the classic Caesar and the SO had field greens with tarragon mustard vinaigrette -- both really good. SO had gnocchi, previously on the menu at Nicaro, and reported that they were every bit as wonderful as when she'd had them before. I had the mushroom-encrusted halibut -- took one bite and had to set my fork down in amazement. It was the best prepared piece of fish I'd eaten in a long while, and I eat a lot of fish. Service was friendly and efficient. I don't recall the name of the young man who waited on us, but he was friendly, engaging and at the same time non-intrusive. We were also glad to see that the charismatic and entertaining Richard is waiting tables here. We'll be regulars at 8407.

I am a frequent visitor, but not a regular a poster as I should be, but I wanted to share my thoughts on 8407 with you.

The addition of 8407 Kitchen Bar to my rotation of spots for dinner at the bar has been an outstanding in my opinion. I have made two stops in two weeks and had another nice dinner experience tonight. The space is a great repurposing of several different establishments over the last 25 years, and I for one hope that 8407 sticks around for awhile.

My first visit last Tuesday was spent at the street level bar. The room has a great upscale and cozy club feel. The bar staff of two (one lead and one bar back, it seemed) were friendly and engaging, but tentative with the new cocktail list and menu. Both made me feel welcome as a lone diner and the overall happy hour/early dinner hour vibe was nice with the windows open, fresh air flowing in, and an outstanding sunset over the ditch across the street that will someday be the new transit mecca. The bar seats about 12-14.

I ordered off of the daily menu insert, and started out with the Sardines. A stretch for my taste, but I was glad that I took the plunge for most part. I was not sure if the grainy crunch in most bites was cornmeal, or scales from the tiny little, whole sardines, or sand, but it was not a deal breaker. The flavor was nice with an added couple of squirts of lemon wedge, but the mayonnaise served with the app was pretty plain. I noticed tonight that the dip has been changed to a viniagrette. The Bibb Lettuce Salad was very nice. Simple, clean and great balanced flavors, this salad was a nice middle course and set up the Ravioli stuffed with Short Ribs that was a special for the evening. The sauce and and veggie ragout that accompanied the delicate ravioli was very tasty and will make a great fall dish as well. I ended my evening with a very nice, spring rendition of Strawberry Rhubarb Cobbler and a glass of Pinot Noir. The Cobbler was topped with a nice homemade ice cream scoop that was melting over the warm dessert. I had a good time.

Tonight, I came back for seconds. This time at the upstairs bar. The early onslaught of summer made the downstairs room uncomfortable because of the combination of afternoon sun streaming in, and the AC not working properly down there. Upstairs the air was running just fine, and the staff were again very nice, friendly hosts. I tried a few of the concoctions from the cocktail list, and the 8407 Pimms was a very nice 90 degree day drink. Who am I kidding, I would have this cocktail again just about anytime.

I started again off of the daily menu insert and the Grilled Asparagus Salad was like a spring breakfast plate. Very fresh tasting, with the grilled asparagus topped with a mixed frisee and greens, and a nicely poached egg sitting on top of the greens. I liked it. I then tried the Gnocchi, which has been reviewed earlier and it was very flavorful. The Gnocchi were very delicate and were slightly browned on two sides which added a subtle crispness to the orbs of potato dough. I love mushrooms, so the sauce of butter and wild mushrooms added great flavor to the dish. I was very satisfied.

I ended my dinner with the Chocolate Tart that again comes with a small scoop of ice cream. This little tart is melt in your mouth fantastic. Great, dark, semi-sweet chocolate depth with a dusting of cocoa powder on top. The ice cream was a smooth and tasty addition to the end of the evening that I paired with a glass of Joel Gott zin, that went well with dessert.

I live close by and look forward to many stops at 8407 along with my other rotation regulars.

My first visit last Tuesday was spent at the street level bar. The room has a great upscale and cozy club feel. The bar staff of two (one lead and one bar back, it seemed) were friendly and engaging, but tentative with the new cocktail list and menu. Both made me feel welcome as a lone diner and the overall happy hour/early dinner hour vibe was nice with the windows open, fresh air flowing in, and an outstanding sunset over the ditch across the street that will someday be the new transit mecca. The bar seats about 12-14.

I started again off of the daily menu insert and the Grilled Asparagus Salad was like a spring breakfast plate. Very fresh tasting, with the grilled asparagus topped with a mixed frisee and greens, and a nicely poached egg sitting on top of the greens. I liked it.

Believe it or not, I last had a meal in this building over thirty years ago, when it was the old Luau Hut. Despite all the "Pu Pu Platters" I enjoyed as a youth (and my generally teetotaling parents would even splurge for a "Suffering Bastard"), I don't have a good recollection of what the restaurant looked like (*). The upstairs dining room seems like a remarkable renovation, but I took my meal at the downstairs bar.

The first thing I noticed when I sat down is the selection of beers, or lack thereof. Out of 13 different beers (9 in bottle, 4 on tap), the only one I could find that was remotely of interest was a draught of Smithwicks ($5). I understand this is Montgomery County, and that's certainly reflected in the beers, the wines by the glass, and the liquors behind the bar. Are we supposed to grade every single Montgomery County restaurant on a curve? Perhaps.

I ordered the Pickled Shrimp which was 86'd, so instead I went with a homemade charcuterie platter of Chef's Terrine and Mortadella ($11 for two selections) which came out beautifully presented on a board, accompanied with some wonderful homemade rhubarb jam, and some coarse mustard with cornichons. As good as the terrine looked, it left me disappointed - triple-wrapped in parts, the dark, rosy color belied a blandness that was turned upside-down by the occasional unintegrated blast of what seemed to be straight chicken-liver puree. But forget the terrine, because the mortadella was fantastic, with bold slivers of fat, and pistachio and peppercorn that complemented this wonderful meat. Get the mortadella!

Like Maxfli, I also got the Grilled Asparagus Salad ($9) off the seasonal menu, and enjoyed it. It's served with bacon and wild-ramp vinaigrette, and a poached egg that was runny on the outside, but had a solid yolk (in salads such as this, I prefer a runny yolk, but I can live without one). It would have been nice to have a slice of bread with this, but I didn't ask (and am not sure they serve anything but the perennially boring toasted, crouton-like slices I got with my charcuterie and cheese course).

The cheese course. I stayed local and got the Grayson, Monocacy Ash, and Cave Aged Chapelle ($13 for 3 selections). My bartender warned me that the Grayson is "the stinkiest cheese I've ever met," and that got me wondering whether it was ammoniated. It wasn't; all three cheeses were in great shape, served in generous portions, and thankfully came with some more of that rhubarb jam. My complaint is that they were served too cold, and the Grayson, for example, had the chewiness of a Snickers bar. I'd been enjoying a Les Lauzeraises Tavel Rosé ($10) with my final two courses, and noticed that the red wines were stored (as they often are) on top of the bar. In the summertime, with the windows open to the outside, this is going to be a problem - 8407 may want to consider storing their cheeses where their red wines are, and storing their red wines where their cheeses are.

In all, it was a pleasant meal, with all three courses having both strengths and flaws within the same plate.

Cheers,

Rocks

(*) The one thing I do remember, plain as day (and I thought certain I'd mentioned this here before) was the time I was there for my 10th, maybe 11th or 12th, birthday. The waiter, a stately, well-dressed, middle-aged Asian gentleman, walked out with a huge tray of plates for at least five people. It tilted, and the whole thing smashed to the ground as he blurted out, "Shit!"

The first thing I noticed when I sat down is the selection of beers, or lack thereof. Out of 13 different beers (9 in bottle, 4 on tap), the only one I could find that was remotely of interest was a draught of Smithwicks ($5). I understand this is Montgomery County, and that's certainly reflected in the beers, the wines by the glass, and the liquors behind the bar. Are we supposed to grade every single Montgomery County restaurant on a curve? Perhaps.

That might be an excuse if not a few blocks away you can find a respectable beer and whiskey list at Quarry House.

I went with a homemade charcuterie platter of Chef's Terrine and Mortadella ($11 for two selections) which came out beautifully presented on a board, accompanied with some wonderful homemade rhubarb jam, and some coarse mustard with cornichons. As good as the terrine looked, it left me disappointed - triple-wrapped in parts, the dark, rosy color belied a blandness that was turned upside-down by the occasional unintegrated blast of what seemed to be straight chicken-liver puree. But forget the terrine, because the mortadella was fantastic, with bold slivers of fat, and pistachio and peppercorn that complemented this wonderful meat. Get the mortadella!

It would have been nice to have a slice of bread with this, but I didn't ask (and am not sure they serve anything but the perennially boring toasted, crouton-like slices I got with my charcuterie and cheese course).

We were at the eight thousand, four hundred and seven last Friday and thought the terrine was really flavorful! We always get it. This time it came with pepper jelly and fennel. Had the hard salami, but it sounds like we should have tried the mortadella.

Their bread comes from Upper Crust bakery, up New Hampshire Avenue in Colesville. We especially enjoy the one with sun-dried tomatoes and parmesan.

We went last night with a group of friends with the intention of just having a drink, but the menu drew me in and I had to order some charcuterie. We also had the chef's terrine and it was a fairly homogeneous bland block of....stuff. At first, I thought I was being spoiled by the products turned out by Jamie Stachowski, Dean Gold and Haidar Karoum, but then I realized even my home made attempts were (IMHO) superior. And the cornichons tasted like.... anything other than cornichons. The plate of cheeses we got was quite nice though more bread would have been nice (especially when you're charging $13 for 3 small pieces). Cocktails were excellent and the space is gorgeous.

I'm certainly not going to judge 8407 based on a couple of apps late on a Friday night. We'll come back and hit the place for a proper dinner.

Had lunch here today and tried the 8407 reuben which comes with the fries. The bread was great and had just the right amount of butter on the outside, however I wouldn't necessarily say it was such a great reuben that I would go out of my way to go back for that specifically. The rosemary on the fries was great - my only complaint was the ratio of tasty crispy "bits" was rather high compared to actual fries; while I do like them mixed in, it seemed like the quantity of the bits was too high.

Stopped by on way home for a light snack. Really love the bar ares, quite spectacular all and ceiling treatment, but I would love to ahve a ltittle less white than both the back bar and the bar itself both. Comfy area though.

Ordered a charcuterie board and a pasta with lamb. Chicken liver mousse was spetacular. Mortadella was a little strongly flavored for my taste but well done otherwise. The crostini served with it excellent, but there were two pieces of what tasted like supermarket heat & serve garlic bread which was really strange. The tagliatelle were good and the lamb sauce good but it was hard even with mixing to get the sauce to stick to the pasta. Minor quibble. A glass of Stone's Arrogant Bastard {how nice of Stone's to name a beer after me} and the bill was a hair under $35.

I made my first visit on Wednesday night with a friend & we had a great time snacking and catching up. We shared the rillettes and a crudo appetizer, then I had a pear & goat cheese salad and the Cuban sandwich while my friend chose the duck proscuitto salad and the spatzle. Everything was good to very good, and it's a great space to wind down and have a glass of wine after work. I'll be back soon - possibly even tonight.

The best surprise of the night was recognizing Raina (formerly of Vidalia) tending bar. She and Harper are back in town, and it was delightful to chat and get caught up on them and hear that Harper is working with RJ on Rogue 24.

I made my first visit on Wednesday night

Oh, my. Knowing that you live close by, I'm surprised that you hadn't visited 8407 until recently. We had a wonderful dinner there last night. I must witness for the salads this time. Salad is usually an afterthought for me. If I'm ordering a main that's low on the plant matter quotient, I feel compelled to have greens as an app. But the salads at 8407 have consistently been a pleasure unto themselves. Last night, I had the arugula with blue cheese, apple, walnuts, and duck prosciutto -- fantastic. All the flavors combined into a savory harmony that I could not have imagined. My companion was equally enamored with her salad of field greens, feta cheese and pomegranate.

The mains were very good too -- duck confit for me and the crab cake for her.

We also enjoyed Black Ankle Vineyards (of Mount Airy, MD) 2008 Rolling Hills. It was round, smooth, just short of lush, not overly fruit-forward. I believe Fenwick Beer & Wine carries it. I'll be looking for it next time I'm in the store. We are both old enough to remember when MD wines were jammy, coat-your-teeth, over-priced disasters. This wine was astonishingly good.