Andelman

Bayou Bakery, Pastry Chef David Guas In Courthouse - Capitol Hill Location is Closed

kneelconqueso said:

well, sadly, it looks like murky is closing either way. according to their website, they are moving to chinatown and opening up 'wrecking ball coffee' and the owners of liberty tavern will be taking over the space, renovating, and opening a coffee shop in the old murky space in clarendon.

i hope that the new owners will keep the same sort of ambience. i love liberty tavern's food and service, but if they duplicate that same decor and ambience, its going to ruin it.

also, i while i hope this turns out to be an april fools day joke, i sincerly doubt it is. nbc 4 has picked up the story and claims it is not a joke. sad.

http://www.murkycoffee.com/2009/04/letter-...-customers.html

Definitely not a joke.

I am 99.9% sure that they will not keep the Murky "ambience".

< Riddle me this, Batman: If the rise in rent makes it financially not viable for Murky to maintain a coffee shop in this location, how can the Liberty folks afford to move in, renovate the space, and open another coffee shop?>

it's called economic stimulus/SBA loans :rolleyes:

The "ambience" will most definitely be different. This will not be your Dad's "coffee shop." When I can elucidate I will. :rolleyes:

The "ambience" will most definitely be different. This will not be your Dad's "coffee shop." When I can elucidate I will. :rolleyes:

does this mean liquor license???

This will not be your Dad's "coffee shop."

But I want it to be my Dad's coffee shop. Well, I suppose what I really want is for the new place to be just like Murky. :rolleyes:

I love anything that brings a sense of the magic that is New Orleans... beignets, cafe du monde, (maybe a frozen daiquiri machine?!?! haha)

Off-topic, but I hear Englert is opening a po-boy shop at Potomac Ave early next year.

Ok I am now at "Liberty" to spill my guts:

Bayou Bakery will be applying for an alcohol license -- at least beer and wine (but when I expressed my desire for someplace that serves a good pousse cafe -- Steve said he would consider having the appropriate liquors available). The downstairs will be the coffee ++ bar and where the goodies are served. The upstairs wil probably be a store where coffee making gadgets of all kinds, as well as high quality coffees will be purveyed.

It is my understanding that Dave Guas' baked goods will be served also at Liberty and perhaps other establishments that will be appearing in the neighborhood soon...stay tuned.

I was lucky enough to have David Guas's cupcakes at my baby shower this past weekend - he is a friend of my friend who hosted. Red velvet and lemon. They were as good as Georgetown Cupcake. I am looking forward to tasting more of those fabulous baked goods.

And I'm still munching on the pralines he made. YUM.

I'm psyched for the Pralines alone!

BTW- Does anyone know what's going to be built in that old Petco space across from Liberty?

I saw them demo it a couple of days ago.

-Wendy

This looks great. A tremendous addition to the neighborhood. Bayou Bakery at Metrocurean

Bayou Bakery debuted at the Taste of Arlington this past Sunday and at around 3:45pm, the line was pretty long, despite it being a cold afternoon. Since the festival began at 12noon and ended at 5pm, I hated to think how the line was before that time, when the weather was also a bit warmer. The syrups available at the stand were also those featured in the blog. Not having had the Wedding Cake syrup before, it was a foreign flavor to me. The snowball machine was the coolest part of the booth, though.

The WashPost reports that David Guas has parted ways with the Liberty Tavern owners so Bayou Bakery will no longer be opening in the old Murky location. I was really looking forward to this new place. It sounded like it was going to have some fun foods. :rolleyes:

The WashPost reports that David Guas has parted ways with the Liberty Tavern owners so Bayou Bakery will no longer be opening in the old Murky location. I was really looking forward to this new place. It sounded like it was going to have some fun foods. :rolleyes:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! I was so excited about Bayou Bakery. That is so so sad. Darn it, darn it. I even had friends eagerly awaiting it, as well. It would have been great. I hope they do something else cool with it.

Prior to word that Bayou Bakery would not be opening, we noticed a Stop Work order pasted to the building's windows when walking by. The order was dated 16 July, I believe, and right next to another notice regarding a county hearing the day before. Memory fails me but I think it had something to do with the historic nature of the property. Aren't the Liberty Tavern people still planning to put something in there, if not Bayou, and does anyone know the story behind this?

Memory fails me but I think it had something to do with the historic nature of the property.

The property address is 3211 Wilson Boulevard and the building is listed as the Clarendon Citizen's Hall (built 1921) on the Arlington Historic Local District Registry.

The historic character of these districts is maintained through a design review process, which requires the review of any exterior modifications, new construction or demolition within district boundaries.

Turn to page 48 of the Clarendon Sector Plan for a picture of the Clarendon Citizen's Hall in its heyday.

I too was disappointed that the Liberty-Dave Guas partnership fell apart, as I was looking forward to having a spot on my rotation where I could go to satisfy the late night munchy/caffein crave. I asked Steve Fedorchak what happened. As reported, it was pretty much the fact that the meeting of the minds was not all it seemed to be when they entered into the partnership, and as with many such deals in many forms of business they decided to end it before it got too far along. Anyway, Steve said the concept would be more of a traditional coffeshop + bar serving light food that would be prepared at Liberty. They still hope to open in September, but the fact that that building is listed as "Historical" by Arlington Co. means that there are more bureaucratic traps that need to be run in order to carry out renovations, hence more chance for delay.

Anyway, Steve said the concept would be more of a traditional coffeshop + bar serving light food that would be prepared at Liberty.

Great news! With Murky gone, Clarendon (or, at least this Clarendon resident) needs a traditional coffee shop in the neighborhood. I'm sure the fine group at Liberty Tavern will do it right.

Great news! With Murky gone, Clarendon (or, at least this Clarendon resident) needs a traditional coffee shop in the neighborhood. I'm sure the fine group at Liberty Tavern will do it right.

And their breads and other baked goods are darned good so they should be able to have some good stuff.

Alison Crist* will be the general manager of the coffee shop formerly known as the Bayou Bakery. The Liberty gang tells me that they hope to open soon, but are still running the various bureaucratic traps to make it happen. They won't disclose the name their establishment will open under, however, so I propose a contest: Name that coffee shop (and bar too :P ). In keeping with the historical/Virginia/founding fathers theme, I have suggested Constitutional Coffee, and I get paid for ideas like that. :(

*see threads on Liberty & Willow

I have suggested Constitutional Coffee, and I get paid for ideas like that. :(

This is all well-and-dandy, until you recall the radio-show segment called "This Constitutional Moment" that was broadcast from time-to-time by a certain unnamed, immensely talented, uproariously funny, but ultimately, unacceptably controversial host.

Alison Crist* will be the general manager of the coffee shop formerly known as the Bayou Bakery. The Liberty gang tells me that they hope to open soon, but are still running the various bureaucratic traps to make it happen. They won't disclose the name their establishment will open under, however, so I propose a contest: Name that coffee shop (and bar too :P ). In keeping with the historical/Virginia/founding fathers theme, I have suggested Constitutional Coffee, and I get paid for ideas like that. :(

*see threads on Liberty & Willow

No offense, but I don't know about Constitutional Coffee it makes me think it is off Constitution Ave or in Capitol Hill. Because of proximity to Mason I was thinking "The Library Coffee Shop and Bakery" but that may promote lingerers, which may not be wanted. The Go Remy in me of course wanted "Clizzle Dizzle Coffee." Then I was thinking "Wilson Brews and Bakes."

This is all well-and-dandy, until you recall the radio-show segment called "This Constitutional Moment" that was broadcast from time-to-time by a certain unnamed, immensely talented, uproariously funny, but ultimately, unacceptably controversial host.

Perhaps they will feature that special coffee, which some connosieures insist is the very best in the world, made from beans grown in Vietnam that have already been "processed" by passing through the digestive tract of a monkey .

Perhaps they will feature that special coffee, which some connosieures insist is the very best in the world, made from beans grown in Vietnam that have already been "processed" by passing through the digestive tract of a monkey .

Reading your post, I couldn't help thinking about recent reports about "cat poop coffee," which is apparently coffee beans that have passed through the digestive tracts of civets in South Asia.

http://www.pawnation.com/2009/09/16/florida-coffee-shop-to-sell-cat-poop-coffee/#

I really hope this isn't going to be a big trend...